Assassin's Creed Creator Sues Ubisoft

Pages PREV 1 2

Funny thing, apparently there was a clause in the contract that would have given Desilets the rights to his IP and game, UbiSoft didn't decide to outright "cancel" it, but "idenfinitely suspended" the project instead: https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/334724774829912064

Ubisoft "indefinitely suspending production" on 1666 is way for them to cancel the game w/o giving back Desilets his IP as per his contract.

https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/334724784975904770

Desilets contract specifies that IP rights revert to him in event of the game's cancellation, similar to the arrangement Del Toro had w/ THQ

Dexter111:
Funny thing, apparently there was a clause in the contract that would have given Desilets the rights to his IP and game, UbiSoft didn't decide to outright "cancel" it, but "idenfinitely suspended" the project instead: https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/334724774829912064

Ubisoft "indefinitely suspending production" on 1666 is way for them to cancel the game w/o giving back Desilets his IP as per his contract.

https://twitter.com/supererogatory/status/334724784975904770

Desilets contract specifies that IP rights revert to him in event of the game's cancellation, similar to the arrangement Del Toro had w/ THQ

As I said. probably true. But ultimately probably meaningless to Ubisoft. It will all depend on the bankruptcy court judge and what exactly Ubisoft bought out of the bankruptcy sale. If they just bought the IP's and assets then chances are that the contract is gone. They might have bought out the entire studio, contracts and all... but why would they if it was in bankruptcy?

GAunderrated:

Metalrocks:
makes me rethink if i still should get AC4.
ok, will not make a huge difference but i also hope for him he will win.

Don't let politics dictate your personal passion. The great thing about the used game market is you can still play games and not support shit companies.

If AC4 is a game that you want to play just buy it used and enjoy the game guilt free. Also if you are against companies such as gamestop or GAME then just buy used on sites like Amazon or Ebay. :)

thats all fine but the problem is, i play it on PC ;). so no used games for me. i know what you mean, just that i do enjoy the AC games and the navel mission in part 3 were pretty awesome.

I don't know. The only thing I know is that UbiSoft apparently bought the entire THQ Montreal Studio for 2,5 million and he got sacked in the process.
Whether the case holds up or not that is up to the court. Either way it does not change my sympathies. He got screwed big time therefore I wish him the best of luck and that UbiSoft may burn in hell.

Metalrocks:

GAunderrated:

Metalrocks:
makes me rethink if i still should get AC4.
ok, will not make a huge difference but i also hope for him he will win.

Don't let politics dictate your personal passion. The great thing about the used game market is you can still play games and not support shit companies.

If AC4 is a game that you want to play just buy it used and enjoy the game guilt free. Also if you are against companies such as gamestop or GAME then just buy used on sites like Amazon or Ebay. :)

thats all fine but the problem is, i play it on PC ;). so no used games for me. i know what you mean, just that i do enjoy the AC games and the navel mission in part 3 were pretty awesome.

Ah trust me I understand all too well. Personally I think half the reasons why I own consoles when I have a great PC is to buy used games in order not to support bad publishers, especially Ubisoft if you know their PC track record. lol

Ishigami:
I don't know. The only thing I know is that UbiSoft apparently bought the entire THQ Montreal Studio for 2,5 million and he got sacked in the process.
Whether the case holds up or not that is up to the court. Either way it does not change my sympathies. He got screwed big time therefore I wish him the best of luck and that UbiSoft may burn in hell.

I'm not a fan of shady corporate practices. I'm really not. But this one has that weird reek of irony or karma to it. This is a good example of "always leave your employers on good terms." Because you never know.

SonOfVoorhees:
I think he is just bitter.

Wouldn't you be if someone went to such great lengths to pull your game out from under you?

faefrost:

Ishigami:

I'm not a fan of shady corporate practices. I'm really not. But this one has that weird reek of irony or karma to it. This is a good example of "always leave your employers on good terms." Because you never know.

Well there was no way to leave on "good terms" when the company you are trying to leave tries to stop you from leaving via legal action and loses. Under those circumstances I don't think there way any way he could leave on good terms unless you force him to stay at Ubisoft against his will (slave).

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here