Killer Instinct Returns On Xbox One [UPDATE]

Killer Instinct Returns On Xbox One [UPDATE]

Killer Instinct - Sabrewulf vs Jago

Excited rumors become reality as Microsoft debuts the first footage from an upcoming Killer Instinct title at its E3 presentation.

Things we saw in the all-too-short Killer Instinct reveal trailer: Street Fighter IV-style 3D graphics pinned to a 2D plane, crazy, physics-defying combos and an overly-excitable announcer who exists purely to shout things like "Ultra Combo" and "Combobreaker" at appropriate moments.

Things we didn't see in the all-too-short Killer Instinct reveal trailer: Pretty much anything else.

So, we now know that there is a new Killer Instinct fighter on the way, that seems to simultaneously harken back to its predecessors while also employing a host of new, modern fighting game tropes. This is a positive. Less positive is what we don't know about it. There's no release date, no roster, and no word on which consoles this thing might appear. We expect more details to emerge soon. Stay tuned.

Update: More details on Killer Instinct emerged as part of Microsoft's Smartglass presentation. Both Jago and Sabrewulf are in the game. Madcatz is creating a fight stick for the title. That earlier Street Fighter IV comparison seems increasingly apt, as the graphics are very similar (though gameplay seems decidedly faster). Aiding Killer Instinct's potential as a big fighting title, the game will also feature integrated streaming features via games streaming powerhouse Twitch (as well as the Xbox One's inherent game recording functionality). We'll bring you more as it appears.

C_C_C_C_C_COMBOOO BREEEAKEER!!!

Before anyone gets excited, lets look at the other Rare series Microsoft has resurrected and how well they've done with those.

Perfect Dark, one sequel, rubbish, franchise dead (mildly successful XBLA re-release, no follow up).
Conker, one remake, didn't sell, franchise dead.
Banjo-Kazooie, one pseudo sequel download only title, surprisingly not awful, rumoured to have sold half a million copies, hasn't been seen or heard from since 2008, Missing presumed dead?

Now Killer instinct, oh boy we're scraping the barrel now. What next, Battle Toads? Blast Corps? When that dies a death too? Where are they going to go next? Maybe they'll resurrect Dinosaur Planet and give that an I can't believe it's not Blinx makeover? It got Nintendo a few million sales after all.

How about going back to Conker or Perfect Dark and, I don't know, doing a decent job this time?

Given that the only reason for me to buy a new console would be to play Marvel vs Capcom 4, Street Fighter V and the likes, this is certainly a step in the right direction for Microsoft to get me to buy one. This and also the fact that I don't give a rat's ass about all the limitations they seem to be putting into place.

fix-the-spade:

Now Killer instinct, oh boy we're scraping the barrel now. What next, Battle Toads? Blast Corps?

Oh, they haven't scraped the barrel yet. When we see revivals of RC Pro Am and Snake, Rattle n' Roll, then we know MS is scraping the bottom of Rare's green-splotched barrel.

I do wonder how well received this revamp of KI will be. It was pretty simple compared to today's games. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm sure it will get some plays. The older crowd will pick it up for nostalgia the younger ones out of curiosity.

That art style is.. hideous. And the gameplay certainly doesn't look like it's advanced at all since the original versions at least in what they've shown so far. I too am curious, though, if anyone really still cares about KI. I mean, even dedicated fighting game fans who've been around since the first KI are pretty much meh on it from what I've seen.

StriderShinryu:
That art style is.. hideous. And the gameplay certainly doesn't look like it's advanced at all since the original versions at least in what they've shown so far. I too am curious, though, if anyone really still cares about KI. I mean, even dedicated fighting game fans who've been around since the first KI are pretty much meh on it from what I've seen.

Have you seen a screenshot of the new game or something? I'm almost positive that the screen shot they posted is from one of the original two games. Not that I'm expecting a huge change in art style, but it should be more detailed if nothing else.

OT: You know, this would be great news if the Xbone weren't such a terrible system. I kind of enjoyed the first game in the series, but I don't feel like this is a reason to buy the system. More like a potentially great game is being held hostage by Microsoft.

Owyn_Merrilin:

StriderShinryu:

Have you seen a screenshot of the new game or something? I'm almost positive that the screen shot they posted is from one of the original two games. Not that I'm expecting a huge change in art style, but it should be more detailed if nothing else.

OT: You know, this would be great news if the Xbone weren't such a terrible system. I kind of enjoyed the first game in the series, but I don't feel like this is a reason to buy the system. More like a potentially great game is being held hostage by Microsoft.

Was watching the HD stream of the press conference. It's.. bad. I mean, the graphics like nice and detailed, but the style is awful.

news flash: not actually being made by Rare, it's being made by Double Helix...who made Silent Hill: Homecoming. Moving on.

It looked pretty awful, i hate the style so much. Its like something terrible out of the 90s, something aimed at 12 year olds by Midway with terrible speakers and everything. The best way to describe it would include using the word Radical...

But then again, Injustice (which looks just as ridiculous) was a big hit, so what do i know? Im completely out of touch with the gaming world these days...

I never played KI, but is the game a lot of autopilot? the combo's look more like specials moves than actual combo's and that would make the game really unappealing for me.

didn't feel like slipping in a horrifically inappropriate rape joke in there then?

Did they just make a rape joke? At E3? IN FRONT OF THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE?
Microsoft, from the bottom of my heart, I say this:
FUCK. YOU.

Arawn:
I do wonder how well received this revamp of KI will be. It was pretty simple compared to today's games. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm sure it will get some plays. The older crowd will pick it up for nostalgia the younger ones out of curiosity.

I wonder... did you play the original KI games? They were some of the most combo heavy games around. They tended to be long and complicated combos that were specialized and different on every character. I would go so far as to say that most people who have only played fighting games from this generation probably couldn't do well in KI on Nintendo 64 or even the SNES. Everyone's combo timing was very different and move sets were very different which changed the combos from person to person. That is why those games were awesome. They weren't button mashers and anyone who did know how to do combos on a character would beat a button masher without issue.

Baresark:

Arawn:

I wonder... did you play the original KI games? They were some of the most combo heavy games around. They tended to be long and complicated combos that were specialized and different on every character. I would go so far as to say that most people who have only played fighting games from this generation probably couldn't do well in KI on Nintendo 64 or even the SNES. Everyone's combo timing was very different and move sets were very different which changed the combos from person to person. That is why those games were awesome. They weren't button mashers and anyone who did know how to do combos on a character would beat a button masher without issue.

By simple I'm not saying it was easy, I mean it didn't have the various systems we see now. I don't recall people pulling off cancels or counters. Knowing what frame to begin next sequence to preform an seamless attack. Wall/air/ground juggles. All the things you'd see in Street Fighter IV, Blaze Blue, and the like. Hell I don't recall ever fully pulling off an Ultra combo, I was on the receiving end of them. My crowing achievements were mainly getting in a combo breaker and turning the one sided match around (if possible)

Hold your wallets just yet, Rare isn't actually making it. It's Double Helix, for those who don't know who they are here's their history:

As a guy who played the stuffing out of Killer Instinct in the arcades of yesteryear. I even bought the Killer Instinct SNES and N64 ports ... but now I have to play it on the Xbone ... All I can say is Fuuuu! Microsoft, you have dashed my dreams yet again!

Edit: Cleaner language

ToastiestZombie:
Hold your wallets just yet, Rare isn't actually making it. It's Double Helix, for those who don't know who they are here's their history:

Did you see what Rare is actually doing? Kinect Sports Rivals. Yeah, thank god its not Rare

Killer instinct is much like a legend for Fighting games and to succeed they need to keep the original gameplay! Too bad its an exclusive...

Fun fact: The arcade game was so visually advanced that it had to use pre-rendered video sequences because at the time there was no machine capable of rendering this in real time :)

You know at first I was upset because I will never be able to play this game. But then after the gameplay demo. No I'm sorry that is not KI. That was Street Fighter. Nothing about that resembled KI one bit. They ditched the cyber punk meets heavy metal art style for, well, that. No ultra flashy MK violence. And the fighting, again looks exactly like Street Fighter.

EDIT: so if I'm so dismissive of this game...why do I still feel like crap? :(

The fighting game that was brought into being to highlight the awesome potential power of the N64 hardware, now with... things!

Yeah...

What I remember about KI was that it was pretty for its time at a time when being graphically pretty was a major factor... Because people were paying twenty-five to fifty cents to play it and games like it, and clustered around its glowing screen to watch its prettiness and wait for their turn to control the pretty. This is the same era where Mortal Kombat's over-the-top violence and digitized-photo graphics made it a showpiece.

The game itself was kind of crap. No offense to anyone who enjoyed it, but it didn't exactly have deep mechanics and compelling gameplay; it had ridiculously long combinations occasionally interrupted by the other player's desperate flailing or the computer player's typically cheap ability to throw out a combo breaker at will. The characters were so shallow and stereotypical that they made Street Fighter look like a Jane Austen novel.

Why bring this back now? Other than that it's a license that people still remember with a lingering nostalgia?

Man I can even begin to guess how much money I spent playing this, and how many people I utterly destroyed with Fulgore.

And that was before I discovered the mid combo delay glitch with his 8 hit combo that made it do about double damage. Wish I found that out before it mostly became a thing of the past.

Impressive! Somehow, the managed to make it look even more 90's than the first two (or three) Killer Instinct games! They also somehow were able to create footage that is less hardcore than a Nintendo game from 19 years ago. Incredible!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here