Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I thought the Xbox One would win ugliest console of this generation for sure. Then I saw this...

Well, I guess that's one point to the WiiU. Now on to more important issues.

Ok, I see what you did there Sony and you know what? I like

Sure it's a black box but its tilted slightly! Which people will make fun of, but not me. . . mostly cos I'm going to stop typing now

-M

So anyone placing bets the next generation is going to be Edgier?

I'll leave now but not before i say this....... Does it come in silver and blueish-green?

it's a slanted ps2...well we'll see what games it can wow me with then I'll decide if I want

look at that console, look at those sleek lines flowing, if you stare at it long enough you can hear..
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sony-Cthuhlhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" ("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Sony-Cthulhu waits dreaming."

It kind of reminds me of the PS2 with how blocky it is. In fact, it looks like two PS2's glued together.

I honestly kind of like it.

Can't say I like the design. Looks strange and the plastic appears cheap... but then at 399€ and no DRM I couldn't care less...
Lets just hope it proves durable... unlike the one the AC demo was running on...

"The PS4, it's a rhombus"

-people who don't know the difference between a rhombus and a parallelogram.

I guess actually it's more like a parallelogram prism if we're really gonna get technical. And not a single fuck was given that day.

I'm actually pretty happy with this. Nice and functional, and smaller than the PS3.

Caiphus:
I think it looks kind of cool.

*slinks back into his corner*

Can I be in the corner with you?

I also think it looks quite cool.

Especially that blue LED strip down the seem.

Did you all hear the bombs Sony just dropped on Microsoft?!

Let me tell ya for those that missed it!

1. No internet connection required, no 24 hour check ins, your single player games work offline, all the time. BOOM!
2. Used games a go. Sell your games to a stranger, rentals, lend your games to a friend, keep 'em for yourself. BOOM!
3. All that goodness launching at $399, $100 less than the Xbon.. Xbox One. BOOOOOM!

Nice design. Console appearance has never been a factor in my purchasing decisions (and I really don't get why it should be to be honest) but it's not a bad looking system by any means.

ALL MY PREDICTIONS WERE WRONG! D:

IT ISN'T A BLACK BOX!

IT IS A BLACK ROMBA!

THE INCLINE IS TOTALLY NEEDED!

Cognimancer:
PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Sony's next-gen console is ready to show you its stuff. Its high-tech, rhombus-shaped stuff.

Sony earned a lot of ire when it revealed the PlayStation 4 without ever showing the physical console. Well, the time has come - the next-gen system has a finalized look, and there's no better time to show it off than E3. If you're busy snarking about how it's a lot of fuss over a black box, you may want to hold your tongue. The PS4 has a radical design that's way more interesting than just some black box.

It's a black rhombus.

More to come as the Sony E3 press conference continues!

FUCKING SWEET!

I had a spot in my set-up that needed something of a rhombus design. This is PERFECT!

Mr.Mattress:
Man, that thing looks really really awkward... And it is just a black box...

Do we know the price though?

$399. $100 USD less than the Xbox One.

so what you're telling me is that the ps4 will be $100 less and as far as we know not have 24 hour drm? the xbone is looking pretty bad at this point.

I like how it looks. The xbone is ugly as fuck. The PS4 has way more selling points too, and no fucking needed kinect shit.

Why does damn near everything seem to be in black these days? About the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are the WiiU and a couple of smartphones. PC cases? Black, black, and more black. Enough! Give us some variety!

Benedict:
Guys, that's not what a rhombus is. The bisecting diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular, and its sides are all congruent- the PS4 is just an ordinary parallelogram- or rather, since it's three-dimensional, a parallelepiped. Much more stylish than a blocky old rhombus.

Actually I was just coming in here just to say that very thing. Of course I couldn't have put it so elegantly but anyway...

Caiphus:

I do too

*stands proud at his fanboy assertion

As other people have pointed out, the PS4 is not rhombus-shaped. However, it did make me think of this:

I have a feeling that they waited this long to show it off, because they didn't know what to make the outside look like and decided just to try to copy the Bone but make it look "cooler."

I dunno about you guys, but I think this thing looks pretty cool. So, what does Sony have now?

1. Better-looking console
2. $100 cheaper
3. No DRM or anti-used games BS

So, what does the Xbone have?

Sooooo it's the same as the Xbox One, only a parallelogram? Wow.

Still, the price is right and it doesn't require a Kinect...

wombat_of_war:
look at that console, look at those sleek lines flowing, if you stare at it long enough you can hear..
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sony-Cthuhlhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" ("In his house at R'lyeh, dead Sony-Cthulhu waits dreaming."

But I thought it was impossible Geometry in R'lyeh, not highschool Geometry!

Anyways, yeah, I think the console looks better when held vertically rather than horizontally.

BanicRhys:
Why are people so invested in how the consoles look?

It's relatively small and it has a flat top. That's enough for me to consider buying it when it's under $200 and there's a decent Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts on it.

Yeah, I don't get the complaints about the appearance either. Whether it's the PS4 or the Xbone, the look is fine. In this day and age, even a console that does nothing but games is going to be a home theater component. There's enough people who care about having the various boxes in their rack look the part that it's a bad idea /not/ to make a black box. By all means give the option of different colors, but there needs to be a black option as well. As for it being a box, well, consoles aren't aimed at children anymore. They don't need to look like they were designed by Fisher Price.

Cognimancer:
Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Sony's next-gen console is ready to show you its stuff. Its high-tech, rhombus-shaped stuff.

Sony earned a lot of ire when it revealed the PlayStation 4 without ever showing the physical console. Well, the time has come - the next-gen system has a finalized look, and there's no better time to show it off than E3. If you're busy snarking about how it's a lot of fuss over a black box, you may want to hold your tongue. The PS4 has a radical design that's way more interesting than just some black box.

It's a black rhombus.

More to come as the Sony E3 press conference continues!

Update: Sony has concluded their press conference by dropping the PS4's price point. The PlayStation 4 will sell for $399, undercutting the Xbox One by a clean hundred bucks. In other territories the price has been named as 399 Euros in Europe and 349 Pounds in the UK.

Could you update to include Australian price of $549, atleast at EB games anyway:
https://www.ebgames.com.au/featured/e3-2013?utm_source=ebgames&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=hero&utm_content=home

People are seriously excited about this design simply because it's "slightly better" than the Xbone's? Both are ugly as sin! Who the hell is creating all these console designs? I wouldn't want ANY of those being in my room. Last generation's consoles were beautiful for both the PS3 and Xbox 360, but now this? This is just wrong.

Nowhere Man:
Well. At least it doesn't look like an old VCR.

No, it looks like Devo's VCR - very New Wave! This one makes the Xbone look like an alternate dimension HVD player from the year 2018. So, looks like Wii U's console is the best looking...by default. Still, PS4 has easily most appealing controller.

Cognimancer:

It's a black rhombus.

Nitpicky, but that's incorrect. It's not a rhombohedron, either, and its sides aren't rhombuses but rhomboids. It is a black parallelepiped tho. Or you can call it a black hexahedron. Geometry has so many fancy words for such stuff, I'm sure everyone can find one that's both correct and likeable.

Now, with that out of the way, it does look catchy. Not buying it still, tho.

Benedict:
Guys, that's not what a rhombus is. The bisecting diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular, and its sides are all congruent- the PS4 is just an ordinary parallelogram- or rather, since it's three-dimensional, a parallelepiped. Much more stylish than a blocky old rhombus.

Ah, ninja'd.

Caiphus:

I kinda agree, but I do like a simplistic look...

OT: I am really loving that they've priced themselves $100 less than Microsoft. This will indeed be interesting since there are some hypotheses that Sony would dominate the Xbox if they priced themselves lower.

AstylahAthrys:

It's black, for the most part, with some silver trim, but the front panel glows a really pretty blue and the venting looks pretty cool. That clear side is an awesome idea, though. I'll have to keep that in mind when I build another one once the hardware in this one gets too out of date. Not that any will be too outdated anytime soon!

... Oh no. This generation is going to turn me into a GLORIOUS PC MASTER RACE person, isn't it? Sony, Microsoft, pick up the slack here! I've always been a console gamer, and you're changing me!

I'm actually hoping someone releases a retro wood paneling skin for these consoles now, just to complete the retro feel.

Well my room has a massive issue with dust so the clear side was a no brainer and don't worry the glorious PC gamer master race is only going to get better with the new hardware coming out since our machines will only get more and more use by the more advanced games.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/702/812.jpg

did Microsoft just get Sega saturn'ed?

I'm still not sold on a ps4
though i will have to get it for metal gear i guess

AstylahAthrys:

Vivi22:

AstylahAthrys:
The Xbox One certainly was far from impressive, being rather bulky and bland, but this is simply the silliest looking console I have ever seen. I honestly laughed when I saw it.

Ah kids today. You haven't lived until you've seen the shit they released in the 70's. Hell, even stuff like the Famicom and Sega Master System were ugly as fuck.

This is going to be one ugly console generation, isn't it?

Absolutely agree with you here though.

Oh, trust me, I know. My father's trove of old electronics has given me plenty of exposure, but I kind of have a thing for old electronics. Yeah, some older stuff is arguably uglier, but that gets a pass because of age. Even the wood paneling can get this pass (which I find tacky as all hell). I guess I would rather have this than an Atari 5200, but this is 2013! We should have outgrown butt ugly electronics! .

Oi! Don't be dissing the wood paneling, bro.

I'd fire money out of a gigantic money cannon at whoever can wood panel a PS4.

Yopaz:

Caiphus:

I kinda agree, but I do like a simplistic look...

OT: I am really loving that they've priced themselves $100 less than Microsoft. This will indeed be interesting since there are some hypotheses that Sony would dominate the Xbox if they priced themselves lower.

Given Sony's competition?

They won't have to try hard.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook