Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

I think it looks cool. Has a slight Master System vibe to it and, although aesthetics of the box means very little in terms of whether I'd buy it or not, it's always nice to have a cool looking console.

As well as looking cooler just heard that the PS4 will be cheaper than the Xbone, will also be primed for indie titles, won't restrict pre-owned games and doesn't require an online check.

In my book that's Sony 5 - Microsoft 0

The games Microsoft will have to pull out of their arse to even compete, never mind win, this generation will have to make the likes of Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins look like text adventures.

Vanaron:
The headphone jack on the controller... I gotta say, stroke of genius.

Yep. Simple but very effective.

Atleast you can stand it upright

No online check-ins.
Freely buy/sell/trade used games.
$100 less then the Xbox One.

I don't give a fuck if it's shaped like a turgid meat dongle. SOLD!

It looks good to me, the design that is.

They have the Eye in the pictures, is that bundled with the console?
What's this crap doing anyway? Is it like Kinect?

No quality exclusives, I like that as well. The PC master race is happy, my wallet as well.

I actually like the way it looks. I'd gladly display it out in the open somewhere!

And a hundred bucks cheaper than the Xbox One and none of that drm shit?
Mmkay Sony. You've seemed to have learned from your own mistakes and the mistakes of your competitors.
I'll give you a thumbs up for that.
And with quite a few games coming to the PS4 that I'm looking forward to (new Mirrors edge for one I'm thinking that Sony has one console sale guaranteed :)
Now to see if it blends.

CardinalPiggles:
Whaaaat?

A direct conversion from $399 is 256 according to my desktop gadget. Why is it nearly 100 more expensive in the UK?

Because Europe always gets shafted with regards to price(though not as bad as places like Australia).$399 = €300 yet they will be charging €399 in eurozone countries.Xbox is the exact same $499 = €375 yet they are charging €499 here for it

The price difference between the two is massive though.One of the reasons the 360 did much better than the PS3 in the early days was because it was substantially cheaper.With a difference of €100 we could see the Xbox one struggle like the PS3 did until it received a hefty price cut

If Nintendo can get their act together and get some decent games on the Wii U aswell as dropping the price they could see a decent swing of support their way too

Not too fond of the shape, but whatever. As long as I know how to open and close the disc tray that's all there is to it(though I can't make it out from those pictures).
Sucks if that'll be the actual pricing though. $399 is not even close to equal to 349. 256 would be more accurate.

Checked some sites to see the cost here in Sweden, and what I found was 4490SEK. That's around $684.
Thanks for that. I guess I'll have to wait over three years to get it.

*perspective of someone who did not own a console in the last generation and was hoping to care about this gen*

Xbox One?

More like, PS Won.

I can so easily confuse this console with my toastie maker

Does it play games and also make toasties? If so I am sold

I'm going to add to my earlier input. The fact that it evokes feelings of the PS2? A very very good thing. Lots of positive memories about the PS2. Honestly, I had no issues beyond memory management. It was fabulous stuff. If that's what they're trying to evoke with the PS4's design, positive memories, I can't fault them.

399 dollars = 399 Euros?

Yeah, fuck off. I was almost going to at least consider getting one.

Still, I am at least glad to hear it doesn't cost something ridiculous like 600 bucks.

It's almost like people don't understand economics.

Yes, in absolute cost, it is more expensive in Europe and Australia. However, in Europe and Australia, retailers are legally obligated to include taxes in their advertised price. In the US, prices are typically listed without tax, so that's misleading to begin with.

Then there's the factors that the US has a lower minimum wage than Europe and Australia, and also that the taxes paid in those continents tend to pay for a better standard of living, while if you live in the US and have a working-class job, you don't tend to get decent health care and all the other benefits of paying higher taxes. Paying slightly more for a luxury item like a console is a pretty trivial price to pay for living in a more equitable society.

It's....It's....Well it's an ugly parallelogram.
Seriously why are the new consoles so .....boxy?
Seriously my $60 PC case off ebay looks better.

It kind of looks like an Xbone being blown away by the rush of people buying a PS4.

It's been a pleasure MS.

Cognimancer:

Update: Sony has concluded their press conference by dropping the PS4's price point. The PlayStation 4 will sell for $399, undercutting the Xbox One by a clean hundred bucks. In other territories the price has been named as 399 Euros in Europe and 349 Pounds in the UK.

Gee, thank you Sony, so instead of paying the same price as americans, which would be 302-303 Euros (302.07 to be exact) I've gotta fork out 399? WTF!?
And the brittish gets even more of a screwjob considering that $399 is about 257..

Now, I know this has been going on for ever, and I'm sick of it!
Fuck you gaming-industry..

When I look at it I just think that I could neatly stack all three on top of one another. No need for separate shelves. Who cares about whether they overheat. Now they'll save space. woo hoo /sarcasm

Roxor:
Why does damn near everything seem to be in black these days? About the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are the WiiU and a couple of smartphones. PC cases? Black, black, and more black. Enough! Give us some variety!

'growly voice' 'righ am dah batman!'

I dunno, maby they realised that all consoles end up living in a box under a tv, and they couldn't possibly please everyone anyway.

That don't look like no rhombus! That is far to sexy to be a rhombus! It must be one of those rectangle slantamajigs! Parrallelo-whatchamacallits!
Well, I sort of like it, but not the way it slumps back, that might make it a little awkward to store. But it's better than the Xbone that looks like a big, black CD-i.
Seems I was, indeed incorrect in my maths when it cam got the pricing, thanks to the like 6 people who reminded me we're dealing with big corporations, here. At least they lowered it somewhat.

Considering the last 2 consoles Sony released were also black boxes, is anyone actually surprised that they continued the theme? Monoliths are their thing.

SuperSuperSuperGuy:
I dunno about you guys, but I actually think it looks rather nice. It looks better than the PS3 and 360 looked, that's for sure. Plus, it's not rounded on top, which is a plus because then I can stack my PS2 on top or something to save surface space on my desk's shelf.

Yeah, I'm actually quite fond of the design. It's nothing jaw-dropping (looks pretty average, and is definitely in keeping with the general look of the Playstation consoles before it), but the flat top means it'll hog less space than my PS3 does. And stacking. :')

tokae:

Cognimancer:

Update: Sony has concluded their press conference by dropping the PS4's price point. The PlayStation 4 will sell for $399, undercutting the Xbox One by a clean hundred bucks. In other territories the price has been named as 399 Euros in Europe and 349 Pounds in the UK.

Gee, thank you Sony, so instead of paying the same price as americans, which would be 302-303 Euros (302.07 to be exact) I've gotta fork out 399? WTF!?
And the brittish gets even more of a screwjob considering that $399 is about 257..

it's really getting bad, but honestly i could have one shipped from the us and get it for $399 at whatever the conversion rate is anyway so it's not all doom and gloom.

tokae:

Small thing, taxes.

US gets no VAT charged, however, even with that on top it should be 310/e365 at current rates, so it's still a screw job for fourty quid, which sucks!

Having said that, it's a full eighty pounds cheaper than the Xbone, so Sony might have just won the launch window. Of course there's going to be a lot of butthurt when players boot up and get asked to subscribe to play online after six years of free play.

-No forced online connection?

-Allows used games?

-$100 cheaper than Xbox One?

....And Sony proves they have a better handle on the industry than MS does... As if that was in doubt.

*sigh* I really liked my Xbox and 360. Haven't owned a PS console since the PS1. Now? That's not really a position I can justify any more.

Honestly I quite like it. It beats the crap out of the Xbone I'll tell you that.

Well, I guess it looks alright.

To be honest, I don't really give a shit about what it looks like though, provided it wasn't penis-shaped or something, and even then I wouldn't be too bothered.

MetalDooley:

CardinalPiggles:
Whaaaat?

A direct conversion from $399 is 256 according to my desktop gadget. Why is it nearly 100 more expensive in the UK?

Because Europe always gets shafted with regards to price(though not as bad as places like Australia).$399 = €300 yet they will be charging €399 in eurozone countries.Xbox is the exact same $499 = €375 yet they are charging €499 here for it

The price difference between the two is massive though.One of the reasons the 360 did much better than the PS3 in the early days was because it was substantially cheaper.With a difference of €100 we could see the Xbox one struggle like the PS3 did until it received a hefty price cut

If Nintendo can get their act together and get some decent games on the Wii U aswell as dropping the price they could see a decent swing of support their way too

The original XBone conference already did that. I heard that WiiU sales increased massively in he UK after that original conference a couple months back

Vivi22:
At least the top isn't rounded I suppose for those who need to set things on top of it.

I guess this is the generation where all the consoles look like shit though.

I just wrote something similar in Facebook. Well, you know what they say, true beauty lies in the INSIDE :P Really it looks like a nightmare straight from the mind of an 80's designer...

Nexxis:
I guess Microsoft and Sony are both going for the big black box approach. Not sure how I feel about it, to be honest. And why do both consoles have to have a shiny side and a rough side? While I kind of like the sleek look (it just looks sleeker than the Xbox 1, to me) it also just seems very generic. Take a box and tilt it XD

To be fair since the ps2 sony has kinda identified themselfes as the sleek looking black coloured system.

Ot: I like it. Looks cool doesn't look like it will be too awkward to fit in a relatively small space like my ps3 is in now. Like its a flat top means I can set stuff like game cases or controllers on it again like I did my ps2. And the price is enough where I don't have to worry about b/c and can keep both.

Why do people care so much what these things look like....

Wont look as good as my Phantom anyway ;) image

chozo_hybrid:

No DRM logging online every 24 hours to play BS and the camera is not compulsory from what they said today, hope that helps.

I have officially gone from from "disapproving groan" to "non-commited grunt*.

They should make them modular nowadays so you can choose an outer covering that doesn't look alien to the room the thing will be sitting in. Sorry but this design just isn't domestic enough. It's going to stick out like a sore thumb unless you live in the Tyrell building from Blade Runner.

Nowhere Man:
Well. At least it doesn't look like an old VCR.

Nope, looks like an old Beta max

Well that looks fucking retarded. Although the controller headphones looks like a pretty sweet feature.

008Zulu:

chozo_hybrid:

No DRM logging online every 24 hours to play BS and the camera is not compulsory from what they said today, hope that helps.

I have officially gone from from "disapproving groan" to "non-commited grunt*.

Glad I could help, they say groaning isn't good for the soul XD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or