Update: PlayStation 4's Appearance Finally Unveiled

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Kinda looks like someone drop kicked a Xbone.

Finally. A console that blends in with the fine art space. Put that in a gallery and your the talk of the show.

haha just kidding.

I like it. I really do.

I like it.
I mean, it's not a shining example of modern art or anything, but I like it.

Sort of looks like two slim PS2's glued together though :P 2+2=4

Vanaron:
The headphone jack on the controller... I gotta say, stroke of genius.

I will be enjoying the shit out of that.

Its the same as all sony consoles since ps2(ps1 was grey) large and black... no joke intended. Its inoffensive and sylish enough to get into anyone's front room.

So sony has the lead on every front in this generation, I fear for the microsoft fan boys who will buy the new xbox, those poor under loved things. Microsoft will be scrabbling for something to knock sony down a peg or two but tbh I have no idea what the hell that is beyond a massive list of everything.

Re update:
looks like Sony cant count either because apparently just like 499 Dollars are 499 euros so 399 dollars equal 399 euros
<Facepalm>
And they wonder why do most console users are in US, maybe because its twice cheaper there?

Alright, alright, I'm just going to go out and say what we're all thinking:

That's gonna be a bitch to clean.

SkarKrow:

Mr.Mattress:
Man, that thing looks really really awkward... And it is just a black box...

Do we know the price though?

$399, 349.99

Not a bad price at all actually, if that comes with a game and a decent hard drive, maybe a PS+ sub for a year, they may have killed it.

Well, color me impressed. While it was within my price predictions for the Console (399-499$ was my guess), I didn't expect it to be the lowest cost of my prediction. Still, the only thing that makes me want a PS4 is KHIII, so it's not enough for me to buy.

Actually, now that I think about it, the PS4 looks like what would happen if the Helghast designed the PS2.

Mr.Mattress:

starting price is $399, 100 dollars cheaper than the xbox one and with a support of used games, no check ins, no region locking, and a great starting lineup of Watchdogs (i know it's multiplatform but it's still a seller), Infamous: Second Son (i know the ending made it clear what happened but i'm interested in how Sucker Punch uses it and continues the story), and Knack (cartoony (which I love) but it looks to have different and unique concepts that vary the gameplay up)

Weird how "next"-gen consoles, XBO and PS4, look like and seem to be one and the same device. Same hardware, same peripherals, pretty much identical functionality.

Holy crap! I think I could actually HOLD that controller!

no drm? used games? not creepy spying on you? better design? not the size of a car tire? cheaper?

wait a minute! 399 Euros! are you trying to take the fucking piss. that's almost 550 USD. how the hell is that fair?

Good god! It looks like a drunk Xbone.

Just a sidenote that has nothing to do with the actual topic. It just bothers me everytime i encounter this.
The plural of Euro is Euro! NOT Euros!
I'm not entirely sure but i think the same applies to the British Pound. You may find Europeans (or Brits respectively) that will make the same mistake you made here. But that stems from a misunderstanding of the names heritage or even a subliminal antipathy towards the currency itself (large chunks of Europes citizens still regularly voice their opinion preferring their old national currency).

wsmieszek:
Weird how "next"-gen consoles, XBO and PS4, look like and seem to be one and the same device. Same hardware, same peripherals, pretty much identical functionality.

I respectfully disagree.
XBO uses a rather unique multi-core hardware similar to the one Sony used in the PS3. Which has the (unintentional?) sideeffect of not being able to run software designed for other setups, hence no backwards compatibility (see PS3) unless you tediously emulate the other hardware.

And while i understand the XBO to be a glorified and overpriced BLU-RAY-player and cable box, the PS4 seems to be leaning way more to the gaming side of applications.

And before anyone cries out "Fanboy", i haven't owned a console since the SNES and am a doveted PC gamer. So i believe myself to be unbiased.

$399 for the US and 349 for UK. Let's take a look at the current exchange rate shall we?

1 US Dollar equals
0.64 British Pound Sterling

$399 = 255.82

Mhm.

This is what I thought the PS3 would look like, similar to the PS2.

Fits in with the aesthetic of Xenosaga too.

Mr.Mattress:

SkarKrow:

Mr.Mattress:

$399, 349.99

Not a bad price at all actually, if that comes with a game and a decent hard drive, maybe a PS+ sub for a year, they may have killed it.

Well, color me impressed. While it was within my price predictions for the Console (399-499$ was my guess), I didn't expect it to be the lowest cost of my prediction. Still, the only thing that makes me want a PS4 is KHIII, so it's not enough for me to buy.

Fair enough, it's a pretty nice price indeed. Shame it's more pricey here in the UK. But I personally will likely buy it at that price, since there's quie a few things I want on it, such as Killzone: Shadow Fall and Destiny (even if Destiny comes to PC i'll get the PS4 version to play with my buddies).

AldUK:
$399 for the US and 349 for UK. Let's take a look at the current exchange rate shall we?

1 US Dollar equals
0.64 British Pound Sterling

$399 = 255.82

Mhm.

Arbritrary price hike for markets outside the US. Likely related to taxation and other crap. The Wii U RRP is 300 and $300US. Xbox One is more expensive here too.

PC parts are pricier too. Such is the way the world seems to work.

It does suck though.

Shadow-Fox:

I respectfully disagree.
XBO uses a rather unique multi-core hardware similar to the one Sony used in the PS3. Which has the (unintentional?) sideeffect of not being able to run software designed for other setups, hence no backwards compatibility (see PS3) unless you tediously emulate the other hardware.
And before anyone cries out "Fanboy", i haven't owned a console since the SNES and am a doveted PC gamer. So i believe myself to be unbiased.

Oh, but everyone is biased towards their own understanding of the world. Having an opinion founded on knowledge is good! :)

I just pointed out the fact that they look oddly similar, feature identical hardware setup (box, camera, controller), and don't seem THAT different in terms of functionality. With each generation, a small portion of difference between the two manufacturers has been diminished, to the point we are at now: two tower PCs packed in glossy black plastic.

Mind you, this comes from a person whose last meaningful contact with a console was playing MGS and MoH on little gray Playstation with beautiful large round power-up button.

I actually think it looks kind of stylish. Definitely better than the betamax-box

I honestly think it looks slim and sleek. Not as stylish as people's apparent expectations but it I would definitely not call it ugly. (Tbh the Xbox One isn't "ugly" per-se, it's just siding on the more plain and dull side)

Looks aside, when they revealed the console I was most happy about its size and weight. Sony were quite with the shape as it makes it hard to discern its size but since I am a person who moves their console around more than average the design is a plus for me. I also like how it reminds me of the PS2.

That being said I hope it's capable of better heat dissipation so we won't face a potential RLOD problem in the future. My fatboy PS3 lasted until last year before I upgraded to the slim after several third party repairs

jowell24:
My fatboy PS3 lasted until last year before I upgraded to the slim after several third party repairs

My original PS2 model is still going strong after 12 years. Hell, I still have my SNES kicking around somewhere and I would be willing to bet money that it still works.

I actually rather like the look. Go figure.

Not that I mind. Thing could be shaped like a pink toilet for all I care, so long as it serves its purpose correctly.

Aardvaarkman:

Roxor:
Why does damn near everything seem to be in black these days? About the only exceptions I can think of off the top of my head are the WiiU and a couple of smartphones. PC cases? Black, black, and more black. Enough! Give us some variety!

Have you seen any PC cases lately? They're frequently white, transparent, or lit up with neon lights.

Ugh. The neon lights... I'm torn as whether that or the excessive black is worse. The last time I looked at a hardware retailer's web site, nearly all the cases were black, and the few which weren't had ugly design.

Also, the PS3 comes in red or white as well as black.

True, but it's not the default, which is what everyone thinks of when you mention the product.

And apart from the just announced (but not available yet) new Mac Pro, you can't even buy an Apple computer that's black. They're all aluminium.

Heh. That's funny. The main company that isn't going nuts with black is the one I absolutely refuse to give money to.

I don't know why so much hate for the design. I absolutely love it. It's so simple yet so slick and powerful looking. I want to cuddle with it.

I'm serious. It's not a complicated design. In fact it's very minimalistic. There's not a lot of buttons and other stuff popping out of it, yet it's not completely boxy. It will really fit well in my room. The glossy part on the left and texturized look on the right reminds me a bit of PS2 Slim.

it's relatively small and it looks stackable. That's all that really matters for me

the fools! what happens when you need to perform some underside maintenance, i cant put the console on its back! what, am i supposed to put it on its SIDE?! absurdity! madness!

well theyre both sleek black monoliths, some important graphic artist must really like 2001: a space odyssey. i honestly dont care what it looks like, and i dont think anyone here really does either, but the media makes a giant fuss about it so i guess we dont want to make them feel stupid and go along with it. either way its just gonna sit there and play games, all that matters is a manageable size and for it to not be fragile. god i miss the gamecube.

Looks... ugly. Looks a bit blocky and old. Don't like the controller, I can see myself looking stupidly at that for a while before I get used to it.
Don't like the idea of having no start and select button where they usually are. Won't be stopping me getting one when the price goes down a bit and they stop making PS3 games though.

Intrigued to see what the slim version will look like.

Not really a fan of the look. But it's not all that important to me. As long as it works (plus continues to work for the next couple of years) and doesn't cost $600.

I can't see this as ugly. And as a pro as much as I do like the looks of the PS3.. that rounded design makes it harder to stack with. This .. yeah I can stack with this.

Size seems okay.. again it will fit nicely next to the television. And in the end you look at the screen, not at the console, while playing. And yet they gave it a bit of flair with the slanted design.

And yes before you ask I remember when the PS1 was cutely small with big round buttons. So cute! Well making things smaller only can go so far...and a PS4 is quite a powerful. PC. Yup I said it ;)

So I forgive its size..

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or