Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee Remake Heads To PlayStation 4

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee Remake Heads To PlayStation 4

Oddworld: Abes Oddysee wallpaper

Sony has announced that Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning is reimagining the first game in the series for its upcoming console.

Initially released as Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee on the original PlayStation way back in 1997, the game, now dubbed Oddworld: New And Tasty, is slated to launch either with or shortly after the PlayStation 4's debut.

Details on what this new incarnation of the game might add were very scarce during Sony's E3 press conference, but a few scant seconds of gameplay were shown, and the title does appear to maintain the aesthetics of its predecessor while adding modern visual accoutrements. We obviously can't speculate on how the game plays, but based on everything we were shown it appears to be a valid update to the seminal action-adventure title.

Expect more info on this title as it develops. We never really know when these companies will opt to drop more details, but Oddworld: New And Tasty seemed somewhat complete, so it shouldn't be too long before its developers spill the beans to somebody with media credentials. We'll bring you more just as soon as that happens.

I have no comment on what to expect from this because what the hell has this company really done lately that could provide any perspective on their abilities these days.

But there is a certain irony to this announcement for those of us old enough to remember Lorne Lanning moving the series to the Xbox back in the day.

Vivi22:
I have no comment on what to expect from this because what the hell has this company really done lately that could provide any perspective on their abilities these days.

But there is a certain irony to this announcement for those of us old enough to remember Lorne Lanning moving the series to the Xbox back in the day.

To quote the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Cave: "THAT WOULD BE ME!"

When I originally saw that the Oddworld folks were moving exclusively over to Microsoft, I was pissed, because their first two games were GREAT and had alot of promise. I still have them, which means I don't need to buy them. Every now and again, I would hear them shout out from behind the curtains and it would go like this...

Oddworld: Hey, we're still here!

ME: Yeah, how'd those piss-poor exclusives go?

Oddworld: Uhhh...not so well, actually.

ME: And that would be because you had alot of Sony fans, didn't you?

Oddworld: Could be, could be.

ME: Coming back home yet?

Oddworld: Nope! Still here with Microsoft! Got this great idea f-

ME: Uh-huh, that's nice. Have fun starving.

More or less that. I suppose the original Oddworld games back at Camp Sony would be nice, buuut they don't HAVE anything. Kenshiro already poked them in several pressure points. They're already dead.

My first game console I ever got (and well before I got a PC) was my PSX with V-Rally and Abes Oddysee, I still have both and the console in mint condition, no scratches. I loved both games and will defiantly get this for the PS4 :-)

FalloutJack:

Vivi22:

To quote the Lost Skeleton of Cadavra Cave: "THAT WOULD BE ME!"

When I originally saw that the Oddworld folks were moving exclusively over to Microsoft, I was pissed, because their first two games were GREAT and had alot of promise. I still have them, which means I don't need to buy them. Every now and again, I would hear them shout out from behind the curtains and it would go like this...

Oddworld: Hey, we're still here!

ME: Yeah, how'd those piss-poor exclusives go?

Oddworld: Uhhh...not so well, actually.

ME: And that would be because you had alot of Sony fans, didn't you?

Oddworld: Could be, could be.

ME: Coming back home yet?

Oddworld: Nope! Still here with Microsoft! Got this great idea f-

ME: Uh-huh, that's nice. Have fun starving.

More or less that. I suppose the original Oddworld games back at Camp Sony would be nice, buuut they don't HAVE anything. Kenshiro already poked them in several pressure points. They're already dead.

You do realize that they never intended for Oddworld to be exclusive to XBox, right? That Activision, I think it was, who was supposed to publish for the PS2 pulled the plug on it right before they were meant to go to press with no warning and then when Microsoft heard this, they slapped the "Only on XBox" label onto the cover, also with no warning given to OWI. Activision also pulled the plug on the marketing campaign almost completely, making sure no one would know the game existed but the most dedicated fans of the series.

Then Activision, when the sales of Stranger were so low that OWI went into financial crisis, offered to buy out the Oddworld Trademark and take all creative control away from Lanning and OWI. This is the very definition of a hostile takeover and you know what? Lanning didn't bend over and take one up the rear. He tried his best to rebuild his company and keep making Oddworld games as they were meant to be. And he get's spit on by gamers for standing up to the publishers they claim to hate. Nice one.

People still blame Lanning for this when it was not his fault. It's really sad. I did have an XBox and did play Munch and Stranger and they were both great games. It's too bad OWI is remembered for being screwed over by their publisher, not for the incredible games they gave us.

OT: I'm super, super happy that Sony are giving OWI so much support for this game. I'm the kind of guy that'll buy a copy for the PS4 and the Vita so I can play it wherever I go. I 'm probably one of the last Oddworld fanboys to ever exist. I hope it supports crossplay/saves. It'd be nice to pick up where I left off on the PS4 when I head to work or uni.

VanQ:
Zoop

Yeah, nobody ever mentioned that one to me, actually.

YES YES YES YES YES.

I MAY HAVE HAD A C64, SNES, AND NES BEFORE MY PSONE, BUT ODDWORLD WAS MY FIRST FAVOURITE GAME.

VanQ:
Munch and Stranger and they were both great games

Well, you got that half right. Seriously, Munch's Oddysee was just the worst bits of the first two games, in 3D and with meta-game ideas like health/mana* counters and power-ups thrown in.

*spooce

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here