The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Debuts Elf-Heavy Trailer

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug Debuts Elf-Heavy Trailer

A new trailer debuted this morning for the upcoming The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and those who felt The Hobbit could use more pretty elf dudes are in luck.

If there was any one flaw in Peter Jackson's The Hobbit, it was that the film was an overlong, rambling tale more focused on trivia than actual storytelling. In fairness, that's a pretty apt description of Tolkien's books themselves, but it still made for a ponderous film.

If there were two flaws in The Hobbit however, the second would definitely be a lack of elves with unrealistically angular cheekbones and dreamy eyes. Fortunately the new International Trailer for The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug fixes that by shoving Orlando Bloom's Legolas straight at us. Honestly, I was more interested in that huge bear seen briefly in the trailer, but there is something to be said for Bloom's waifish, European aesthetic. If nothing else, it works great for the Tolkienian concept of "elf."

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is currently slated to hit theaters on December 13, 2013. Just in time for the holiday season. Odds are solid we'll be seeing a steady stream of trailers and other info on this film from here on out, so consider this vignette a first salvo.

Source: YouTube

i really wanted the dragon at the end to go "Hello..."

but ye lots of Legolas...which seems a bit weird...but isn't really given he is actually in the hobbit (Thranduil's son) but wasn't named/created as such when it was written before LOTR.

apart from the obvious cameo i think PJ is using him so he can show an arc over the whole series in the dwarfs/elves relationships.

the elves in the hobbit...are not really that nice at all...

The special effect look................really obvious, I mean some of the scenes just took me right out of the moment thinking "that looks so fake" hopefully this gets fixed before it is released.

Nice to see Lee Pace's Eyebrows getting some oddly prominent screentime. I guess Thranduil's band of racist elves will be playing a bigger role than casually riding away from those that need help on a giant-ass elk. But hey, more Hobbit, that's cool. I'm down with that.

No no no no no no no!

All this portentious dialogue? Elf armies going after the barrels as they ride away? Azog leading armies of Orcs?

This isn't the Hobbit.

I was kind of hoping after getting part 1 out of the way, Peter Jackson would start sticking closer to the book in part 2. Instead, he seems to be going even deeper into the realms of fanfiction.

The Hobbit was never supposed to be a heavy piece of mythmaking. It was a pisstake of heroic myths. It was the story of your average Arthur Dent and 13 incompetent dwarves constantly bungling their way across Middle Earth in order to burgle some gold. It was never supposed to be a serious heroic epic, and even Tolkien himself admitted that rewriting it as such would have made it no longer 'The Hobbit'.

And before anyone brings it up, no, they're not bringing in the backstory from the appendices. The backstory from Unfinished Tales happens nothing like how the films portray it. By the time of the Hobbit, Gandalf already knew Sauron was back, and was simply planning how to get rid of him. This badly written "Has Sauron come back"? 'mystery' tied with an orc character who was supposed to be dead before the story ever began have just shown that Peter Jackson really doesn't give two shits about the original material, he just wants to write bad soap opera fanfiction in Middle Earth.

The first Hobbit film was disappointing. I doubt I'm going to waste time on the second.

"Don't think I won't kill a dwarf" Understatement of the century.

I was kind of hoping it'd have a 48FPS showing without 3D

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
No no no no no no no!

The the LOTR wasn't all that close to the originals either, and he's throwing in lore from other sources, including more stories in the 3rd film after they defeat smaug in this one.

knight steel:
The special effect look................really obvious, I mean some of the scenes just took me right out of the moment thinking "that looks so fake" hopefully this gets fixed before it is released.

Eh, I thought the same thing about the first. But then I remembered my cinema studies class; the Hobbit's a blockbuster, and the purpose of a blockbuster is to:

A.)Generate revenue for its studio and
B.)Demonstrate innovations in special effects

The last big innovation in effects was a new level of CG, so I guess that's what we're getting. I don't really care. As long as the writing's good and there are still some good scenes, Jackson can do what he wants.

Also,
DRAGONS!
FUCKING DRAGONS!
WARGARAABLGARBLBLARG

Nurb:
I was kind of hoping it'd have a 48FPS showing without 3D

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
No no no no no no no!

The the LOTR wasn't all that close to the originals either, and he's throwing in lore from other sources, including more stories in the 3rd film after they defeat smaug in this one.

But he's not throwing in lore from other sources. He's making it up. The backstory at the end of ROTK and Unfinished Tales is nothing like the backstory shown in The Hobbit film.

TheTygre:

knight steel:

Eh, I thought the same thing about the first. But then I remembered my cinema studies class; the Hobbit's a blockbuster, and the purpose of a blockbuster is to:

A.)Generate revenue for its studio and
B.)Demonstrate innovations in special effects

The last big innovation in effects was a new level of CG, so I guess that's what we're getting. I don't really care. As long as the writing's good and there are still some good scenes, Jackson can do what he wants.

Also,
DRAGONS!
FUCKING DRAGONS!
WARGARAABLGARBLBLARG

Yeah I know,I'm not saying it will ruin the experience or anything-I'm still going to see it and probably love it, just struck me as as really odd when I first saw it is all,but I'm sure that I'll grow used to it ^_^

Also:

Awesome. I can't wait The Desolation of Smaug. I was hoping that Smaug was going to talk at the end there but sadly he didn't.

As much as I love the book and the first movie, this just doesn't impress me the way it should. The CGI made my eyes bleed.

Doesn't look too bad, though even from the small sample there is already a substantial amount of material changed and created solely for the film.

The only part that made me dislike it were the small parts of the barrel riding. I wouldn't really care if they were just open, but apparently they are also fighting. The expression easy as killing fish in a barrel comes to mind here. It also makes me apprehensive that there will be another drawn out silly fight akin to the goblin mines.

This is still a trilogy, right?

Forgive me, it's been a long time since I read the book, but if Smaug is in the second movie, what is the third going to be about? I figured that the second movie would be all about Murkwood. Then Smaug could have his day in the third film.

I dunno, maybe I missed something.

TheProfessor234:

Forgive me, it's been a long time since I read the book, but if Smaug is in the second movie, what is the third going to be about? I figured that the second movie would be all about Murkwood. Then Smaug could have his day in the third film.

I dunno, maybe I missed something.

Most likely about the battle of the five armies.

First movie had bridge-falling that felt like a theme park ride. This one seems to have barrel-riding. The Tolkien-fan in me cringes with every change Peter Jackson makes, but his Middle Earth can still be appreciated for being visually sumptuous.

Also, the bear is Beorn.

Also also, SMAUG!

Fell:

TheProfessor234:

Forgive me, it's been a long time since I read the book, but if Smaug is in the second movie, what is the third going to be about?

I've guessed that since the beginning.

Is it me or did the Smaug CG look... oddly poorly done?

I dunno, maybe it's because it's not the correct fps or something. To be perfectly fair, it hardly even matters. I'll end up watching it either way.

Nuxxy:

Fell:

TheProfessor234:

Forgive me, it's been a long time since I read the book, but if Smaug is in the second movie, what is the third going to be about?

A battle which lasts less than five pages in the original novel, and which the book spent more pages focusing on the horrible aftermath of is going be stretched out for 3 hours? Oh joy.

I can't wait to see how Peter Jackson manages to take the horrors of war and fill them with skateboarding elves again.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I can't wait to see how Peter Jackson manages to take the horrors of war and fill them with skateboarding elves again.

Yeah, that just about sums it up...

So the trailer shows how awesome the elves are, and features Legolas (who was not in the book[1]) more than anyone else except possibly Bilbo. (I'm not about to watch this repeatedly with a stopwatch...)
And yet again, it affirms the dwarves as comic relief in Jackson's eyes. Has anyone found out what he has against short guys yet? (Due to a quick Google-ing, I've found out that Jackson is about 1.69 m (5' 6), is he compensating or something?)

[1] Yes, I know whose son he was and the potential for him being around...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Nuxxy:

Fell:

A battle which lasts less than five pages in the original novel, and which the book spent more pages focusing on the horrible aftermath of is going be stretched out for 3 hours? Oh joy.

^This. I suppose Bilbo could also get into some hilarious hi-jinks on the way back to Hobbiton. At least if it sucks, we can all just mentally declare the third film non-canon, since absolutely nothing important is going to happen in it. -_-

I thought the first one was alright (aside from the ridiculous goblin town roller-coaster, also, the stone giant thing was pretty hilariously over the top), but it looks like they're stretching the rest of it pretty thin. I want to believe they won't be mindless spectacle. I really want to believe that.

YES!

I loved the first one, and can't wait for Part 2!

knight steel:

That was the first thing I thought, I'm all like.... this looks like a video game trailer. I dunno maybe I've got extreme nostalgia goggles for LoTR, but I don't remember it looking that bad. Smaug at the end there looks like a bluescreen effect from the nineties. I'm not exaggerating either to appear edgy like some people do over these trailers, parts of it genuinely made me think that it looks cheap.

This film looks disgusting! Does Peter Jackson have a hard-on for CGI nowadays? It sure seems that way. Also the ultra bright visuals make it look like it is set in the Trine universe not Middle-earth, 90% of the beautiful New Zealand scenery is gone.

Also I don't remember The Hobbit being so action packed.

Looks like they have made some "minor" changes to the story of the book. Especially the parts with elfs and Beorn.

xplosive59:
This film looks disgusting! Does Peter Jackson have a hard-on for CGI nowadays? It sure seems that way. Also the ultra bright visuals make it look like it is set in the Trine universe not Middle-earth, 90% of the beautiful New Zealand scenery is gone.

Also I don't remember The Hobbit being so action packed.

The sad thing is that when he was involved, Guillermo Del Toro said that he wanted to really bring back animatronics and put them to the fore again.

Honestly, it's a fucking tragedy he never got to direct this film...

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Nuxxy:

Fell:

well to be fair "the lion witch and the wardrobe" had that huge battle scene for like the last 45 mins and that was 2 pages so it can be done.

OT: gonna see it, most likely gonna love it.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
No no no no no no no!

All this portentious dialogue? Elf armies going after the barrels as they ride away? Azog leading armies of Orcs?

This isn't the Hobbit.

I was kind of hoping after getting part 1 out of the way, Peter Jackson would start sticking closer to the book in part 2. Instead, he seems to be going even deeper into the realms of fanfiction.

The Hobbit was never supposed to be a heavy piece of mythmaking. It was a pisstake of heroic myths. It was the story of your average Arthur Dent and 13 incompetent dwarves constantly bungling their way across Middle Earth in order to burgle some gold. It was never supposed to be a serious heroic epic, and even Tolkien himself admitted that rewriting it as such would have made it no longer 'The Hobbit'.

And before anyone brings it up, no, they're not bringing in the backstory from the appendices. The backstory from Unfinished Tales happens nothing like how the films portray it. By the time of the Hobbit, Gandalf already knew Sauron was back, and was simply planning how to get rid of him. This badly written "Has Sauron come back"? 'mystery' tied with an orc character who was supposed to be dead before the story ever began have just shown that Peter Jackson really doesn't give two shits about the original material, he just wants to write bad soap opera fanfiction in Middle Earth.

The first Hobbit film was disappointing. I doubt I'm going to waste time on the second.

We are in complete agreement. When I first heard the were making three movies out of the book I thought it would be cool to see all the stuff that went on when Gandalf left the group. But no. What we've actually gotten might as well be called Michael Bay's The Hobbit, Suck On That Epic Fantasy Action You Nancy Boys. Watching Jackson try to "out cool" the source material is about as painful as the scene from Austin Powers where Dr. Evil tries to show Scott he's hip by dancing the macarena. If you don't think the source material is up to the task how about making your own story and not fucking up someone else's.

Oh well at least this will get me prepared for how badly they'll pervert Eder's Game out of all recognition.

The fighting scenes were a bit much in the Hobbit, but I'd like them to delve into the other aspects of it all. Even if it isn't all aligned perfectly, with the book, it's still a well done adaption.

it looks strange. CGI is harming this movie. LOTR looked better imo

Its a shame that these movies had to be made into overblown action movies, it would have worked so much better as an 80s styled fantasy movie :/. The trailer looks better than the first though, but im still sceptical because the first one was such a bland and boring movie. I hope they hired a new editor this time around, it would be nice if you could actually see what was going on in the action scenes^^.

Im still stunned that the three LOTR movies are made by the same guy who made King Kong and The Hobbit. What the hell happened?

new trailer released, commence whining and bleating about how PJ is ruining the story, and I'm sitting here going "that looks awesome as hell, I'm a wanna piece of that"

I'm so torn... on the one hand, I hated An Unexpected Journey and I hate this trailer too, but on the other hand, I hate the Tolkien purists who complain about the LotR and Hobbit movies just as much.

So much fucking teal and orange. Look at Legolas', Gollum's and Gandalf's eyes. FUCKING LOOK.

Now, if you excuse me, I'll go back to the trilogy that actually felt like it was made by people that cared.

knight steel:

Just my two cents, but I'm thinking maybe it's not the final render? Particularly with Smaug at the end there. Honestly, the first time I saw this I figured it was leaked footage which a fan had cobbled togther, and that was primarily from the text floating over the map bits.

I won't jump on the 'this movie is dead to me' bandwagon, but I do think they've made a questionable decision to try straddling the humourous fantasy sendup that was the original text and the more serious epic that is the LotR series. On the other hand, I can kind of see why they did this - the success of the LotR means they hadda make a trilogy. Not doing so just wasn't an option. And, despite the source material, they had to go straight with it. Three movies of dwarven slapstick just wouldn't have held, and where LotR required the story to edit and hone a vast amount of material to a keen edge, three movies based on the Hobbit requires precisely the opposite. To paraphrase Bilbo, you've got to spread a small amount of butter over quite a lot of bread. So I can forgive quite a lot of invention and re-interpretation as I simply don't see how they could've done it otherwise.

That being said, I'm certainly hoping Beorn doesn't get Tom Bombadil-ed just because he's not an orc / elf / goblin / hobbit / human.

I'm just very surprised about all this elf-jumping during barrel-ride, partially because I don't recall that elves were even aware that dwarves got away, and partially because I don't recall them being such ninjas in fighting style.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

The Hobbit was never supposed to be a heavy piece of mythmaking. It was a pisstake of heroic myths. It was the story of your average Arthur Dent and 13 incompetent dwarves constantly bungling their way across Middle Earth in order to burgle some gold.

I see what you did there.

Because Martin Freeman played Arthur Dent and now he's playing Bilbo... And that Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy film was a terrible film and one of the worst adaptations ever, so maybe I should just shut up about it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here