PS4 and Xbox One Preorder Comparison

PS4 and Xbox One Preorder Comparison

E3 makes a slow gaming deal week, unless you're a super early adopter.

In the midst of E3's excitement, Sony announced a $400 price tag for the upcoming PS4 console, positioning it favorably against the higher priced, no-used-game, always-connected Xbox One. Sony, Best Buy, and Amazon are offering preorders of the eagerly anticipated system. Bonuses for preorders aren't as compelling as those associated with the Xbox One, but if you're ordering a PS4 direct from Sony, you'll receive free 2-day shipping and 400 Sony Rewards points. Since the new PlayStation won't require a periodically active Internet connection or a constantly connected sensor bar to operate, we suspect it's currently the box of choice for 8th gen console buyers.

While price breaks won't appear anytime soon on the Xbox One, Microsoft tossed a bit of icing on the preorder cake with their limited edition "Xbox One - Day One" edition console. This "Day One" offer comes with a few extra goodies you won't be able to grab after release, including 1) a limited edition commemorative controller, 2) a token code to unlock a Day One achievement, and 3) premium packaging and a special decal.

PC gamer looking for new hardware? Alienware just announced 3 new laptops with the Intel "Haswell" 4th generation Core i7 processors in 14-inch, 17.3-inch, and 18.4-inch display sizes. They went up for sale today at Dell Home, where you can take advantage of a $50 off coupon code. While this doesn't knock much off their already lofty price tag, we suspect those buying premium Alienware machines aren't exactly looking for a frugal angle.

E3 Hardware Deals

PlayStation 4 Preorder - $399.99 at Sony.

Free two-day shipping plus 400 Sony Rewards points.

Xbox One Day One Edition - $499.99 at Microsoft.

Free shipping (receive on release day). Bonuses like a commemorative controller and day one achievement (big woop?).

Alienware 18 Haswell 1080p Gaming Laptop - $2,049 at Dell Home.

Specs: Core i7-4700MQ, GeForce GTX 765M, and 8GB RAM. List is $2,099.

Alienware 17 Haswell Gaming Laptop - $1,449 at Dell Home.

Specs: Core i7-4700MQ, GeForce GTX 765M, and 8GB RAM. List is $1,499.

Alienware 14 Haswell Gaming Laptop - $1,149 at Dell Home.

Specs: Core i7-4700MQ, GeForce GT 750M, and 8GB RAM. List is $1,199.

Upcoming Releases

MotoGP 13 (PC Download) - $22.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases June 21. Next best is $27 at Amazon. Deal expires June 14.

Game & Wario (Wii U) - $31.99 at NewEgg.

Releases June 23. List is $40. Deal expires June 17.

Deadpool (PC Download) - $31.99 at GameFly.

Releases June 25. List is $40. Deal expires June 20.

Company of Heroes 2 (PC Download) - $45 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases June 25. Next best is $60 at GameFly. Deal expires June 14.

Muramasa: Rebirth (PS Vita) - $31.99 at NewEgg.

Releases June 25. List is $40. Deal expires June 17.

Ride to Hell: Retribution (PC Download) - $22.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases June 25. List is $30. Deal expires June 14.

Dark (PC Download) - $25.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases June 28. Next best is $34 at GameFly. Deal expires June 14.

Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World (PC Download) - $20.25 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases July 9. List is $30. Deal expires June 14.

Shin Megami Tensei IV (Nintendo 3DS) - $41.99 at NewEgg.

Releases July 16. Not a bad deal from Atlus with bonus art book and sound collection CD.

Saints Row IV (PC Download) - $40 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases August 20. List is $50. Deal expires June 14.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC Download) - $22.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases August 27. Now 5% cheaper than a week ago. Deluxe edition is $37.50.

Batman Arkham Origins (PC Download) - $37.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases October 25. List is $50. Deal expires June 14.

Batman Arkham Origins (Xbox 360, PS3) - $49.99 at NewEgg.

Releases October 25. List is $60. Deal expires June 13.

PC Downloads

2K Games Sale at Gamefly - up to 80% off after coupon.

Sale ends June 14.

Grid 2 - $32.49 at GamesRocket.

Released May 28. Next best is $50 at GameFly.

LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 - $4 at Green Man Gaming.

Next best is $20 at Amazon. Deal expires June 12.

Hotline Miami - $3.38 at GamersGate.

Next best is $10 at GameStop.

Gaming Laptops

HP re-releaesd the Envy 15 Laptop with Haswell - $769.99 at HP

Specs: Core i7-4700MQ, a Full HD 1080p panel, plus a GeForce GT 740M. Shipping is $10. Probably one of the cheapest 15-inch 4th Gen Core i7 we've seen with 1080p and discrete GPU. Deal expires June 15.

HP also refreshed their Envy 17 to the t-j000 series - $899.99 at HP.

Now with 4th Gen Haswell Core i7-4700MQ, Full HD 1080p, GeForce GT 740M, Blu-ray. Shipping is $10. Deal expires June 15.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y410p Haswell Gaming Laptop - $899 at Lenovo.

Specs: Core i7-4700MQ, HD+ 900p, GeForce GT 750M 2GB, 24GB mSSD, and 8GB RAM. List is $1,349. Deal expires June 12.

Just thought I would point out that Lenovo's laptops tend to be under perma-sale, showing a much higher price being slashed and then using a lower price for some sort of "Deal" that's in place for the moment to give the impression that the notebook has more value and is a great deal. So, in other words, Lenovo is in "pre-new CEO JC Penney" mode, which is very hard to get out of considering what happened to JC Penney when they did.

Oh look, the PS4 looks so different to the Xbone: it's slanted.

Please all take a minute to show your admiration for the continuing endeavors to promote originality and design in the gaming industry.

Nice to see that Deadpool is getting a PC release. It is also nice to see that Arkham Origins is also getting a PC release too. I was worried for a few days that it was going to skip the PC.

Kurai Angelo:

Please all take a minute to show your admiration for the continuing endeavors to promote originality and design in the gaming industry.

If the shape was a result of not getting a price increase due to custom fit pieces then I'm all for it.

That being said, I don't care what it looks like so long as it functions properly.

Also, could be worse, they could bring back that terrible beige plastic material.

Curiously, here in Sweden the PS4 and Xbox One Preorders are listed at the exact same price(~4500 SEK=685 USD at the cheapest). So all you Americans who complain about the Xbox One being too expensive, kindly shut your face. I know a ton of people would do almost anything to get their electronics at the cheap price of 499$. After conversion it's almost 40% increase in price for the PS4, and 25% for the Xbox,

HOLY SHIT! the xbox one pre-order day one achievement. screw everything I heard about the drm and used game policy it time to take out a credit card and pre-order the xbox one.(I am not being Serious when I say this)

yay pointless achievements.

oggebogge91:
Curiously, here in Sweden the PS4 and Xbox One Preorders are listed at the exact same price(~4500 SEK=685 USD at the cheapest). So all you Americans who complain about the Xbox One being too expensive, kindly shut your face. I know a ton of people would do almost anything to get their electronics at the cheap price of 499$. After conversion it's almost 40% increase in price for the PS4, and 25% for the Xbox,

That might have to do with the fact that, y'know, gasp, shipping internationally is ridiculously expensive? It cost me an extra $40 to ship a single T-shirt (twice the price to buy it) to someone outside the US, how the hell are they going to make money when they ship thousands of units across the world?

It costs money, and you don't live in the country that manufacturers them. Tough. I pay extra to get stuff imported from the UK all the time and I deal with it.

As for the consoles themselves: they're both ugly as hell.

-Dragmire-:

Kurai Angelo:

If the shape was a result of not getting a price increase due to custom fit pieces then I'm all for it.

That being said, I don't care what it looks like so long as it functions properly.

Also, could be worse, they could bring back that terrible beige plastic material.

Custom fit pieces? They're still custom fit pieces... how many other pieces of hardware are using the exact same fittings as pieces of their extrenal structure? None.

A games console is a uniquely styled piece of hardware. The cost of the shape to make is not an issue at all.

Besides, my issue wasn't with the fact that they look boring as hell (my opinion), but rather they both look extremely similar.

EDIT: You also appear to contradict yourself. You say you don't give a shit what it looks like, whilst showing obvious disdain for outdated modes of colour.

Devil's Due:

oggebogge91:

That might have to do with the fact that, y'know, gasp, shipping internationally is ridiculously expensive? It cost me an extra $40 to ship a single T-shirt (twice the price to buy it) to someone outside the US, how the hell are they going to make money when they ship thousands of units across the world?

It costs money, and you don't live in the country that manufacturers them. Tough. I pay extra to get stuff imported from the UK all the time and I deal with it.

I know perfectly well why they are more expensive here in Sweden and other European Countries and it's not shipping that is the cause of the huge price increase, which should not add more than ~20$, (they are most probably being manufactured in China, absolutely not in the US, so clearly international shipping occurs for the US market as well with no significant increase in price).
The entire reason that much of this stuff is more expensive is because of "Value added tax" which The US does not have, while Sweden has 25% (Only Hungary has higher at 27% I believe) added to the price on any imported goods from outside the EU.
And while I appreciate your sarcasm, my only puzzlement came from the fact that the PS4 and Xbox are priced at the same price, I had assumed the PS4 would be cheaper.

Why gaming laptops and not desktops? laptops are much more expensive and don't perform as well.
You can get this excellent gaming desktop for $700: http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8700/pd

Kurai Angelo:

-Dragmire-:

Kurai Angelo:

Custom fit pieces? They're still custom fit pieces... how many other pieces of hardware are using the exact same fittings as pieces of their extrenal structure? None.

A games console is a uniquely styled piece of hardware. The cost of the shape to make is not an issue at all.

Besides, my issue wasn't with the fact that they look boring as hell (my opinion), but rather they both look extremely similar.

EDIT: You also appear to contradict yourself. You say you don't give a shit what it looks like, whilst showing obvious disdain for outdated modes of colour.

About the contradiction, I'd buy it even if it looked ugly, my consoles aren't show pieces. Anyway, I was trying to be lighthearted...

Here is some fun numbers for you.

I went to pre-order a PS4 today. I asked a friend who runs one of the bigger Gamestops in the area if anyone was pre-ordering the X-1. She shrugged and said "some". I pressed the matter and at the time I was there, there had been only 7 pre-orders over 2 days. In contrast, I was number 24 to pre-order the PS4 in half that time.

And I know I'm not well known here, but up until the X-1 I was a card carrying Xbox fanboy. Just so you have some context.

It's a shame I'll have to miss Dead Rising 3. Really love that franchise.

Have we learned nothing from the 360 generation? remember what happened to the early adopters? they got shafted having to buy the console all over again as it was made out of garbage. Enjoy your limited edition pos. Limited edition huh? whats the point when it has a *limited* lifespan.

What's that? the Xbone might be different? why as a consumer would I trust a company that kicked me in the ass already? that's my answer!

Alienware sucks, you pay a lot for the brand alone.

With 1000$ you can buy a high end PC that outclasses the next gen consoles.

If you don't want a PC, the PS4 is definitely the better choice between the two.

DarkhoIlow:
Alienware sucks, you pay a lot for the brand alone.

With 1000$ you can buy a high end PC that outclasses the next gen consoles.

If you don't want a PC, the PS4 is definitely the better choice between the two.

Uh... for a thousand dollars it had BETTER outclass the next gen consoles o.O

I'm still debating on whether or not I preorder a ps4. I do like early adopting, but I think I should wait to see what games are going to be available at launch, or just see if there are any kinks in the console to work out (50% 360 fail rate)

ZZoMBiE13:

I went to pre-order a PS4 today. I asked a friend who runs one of the bigger Gamestops in the area if anyone was pre-ordering the X-1. She shrugged and said "some". I pressed the matter and at the time I was there, there had been only 7 pre-orders over 2 days. In contrast, I was number 24 to pre-order the PS4 in half that time.

And I know I'm not well known here, but up until the X-1 I was a card carrying Xbox fanboy. Just so you have some context.

Interesting. Its nice knowing that Microsoft isn't doing as good (because fuck them). And Sony welcomes you with open arms brother

Why the hell are you putting up gaming laptops... it's the worst possible idea, how about some PCs that might actually be sensible to buy, people all around the forums are asking what setup to buy and that is the one thing you leave out.

PoolCleaningRobot:
I'm still debating on whether or not I preorder a ps4. I do like early adopting, but I think I should wait to see what games are going to be available at launch, or just see if there are any kinks in the console to work out (50% 360 fail rate)

ZZoMBiE13:

Interesting. Its nice knowing that Microsoft isn't doing as good (because fuck them). And Sony welcomes you with open arms brother

Just for clarity, while the 360 was my favorite of the gen by far, that didn't stop me from buying and enjoying my PS3. InFamous was one of the biggest surprise hits for me of this gen. And I'd never miss a Ratchet & Clank game. ;)

I have rarely skipped a major console. I never owned an Atari Jaguar or a 3DO, but all the SEGA, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, and even as far back as the first 2 Atari VCS consoles have all graced my gaming life at one point or another.

for 500$ you too can have "Prism" in your living room

-Dragmire-:

Kurai Angelo:

The only advantage the shape of the PS4 *could* have is if there are openings for ventilation on the back. It would effectively prevent people from putting it on a shelf with no room left behind it, interfering with the airflow.

so dod you pick the Alienware (aka as pay double for shiny led light and a name) to comapre cosoes to in hopes that people wont noticed that you can build almost same speed tower gaming PC for same amount as the new console?
also HP is on sale again? what, noone is buying their defective cooling system models again?

hatok:
Uh... for a thousand dollars it had BETTER outclass the next gen consoles o.O

for 1000 dollars a computer built by a monkey would outclass modern console. you can match them if you build yourself for 400-600 dollars. (may be more, depending on location, you know, if you have to ship components across the ocean and the like)

What are Sony Rewards Points?

Also I like how in the PS4 design they've gone for both the Matte and Shiny plastic finish...like they couldn't choose one. Looks good though.

Mr.K.:
Why the hell are you putting up gaming laptops... it's the worst possible idea, how about some PCs that might actually be sensible to buy, people all around the forums are asking what setup to buy and that is the one thing you leave out.

I think some people do get some use out them. I mean, if you travel a lot and are really into gaming AND have a lot of disposable income, why not?

But, yeah, I'll stick with my much cheaper, more powerful desktop.

Wow, the listed specs for those alienware notebooks are all the same. So, what, one single inch worth of screen is worth $500 in the 18 compared to 17? I know alienware has shit prices, but jesus. Oh, I'm sorry, 1.1 inches! Yea, totally worth half a grand!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here