Microsoft Exec: Offline Gamers Should Stick With Xbox 360

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Strazdas:

AstylahAthrys:
Though this comes off as super arrogant, I get what he's trying to say. The 360 is a great console, and they're releasing a new one, so they're obviously still intending to support it for some time. Microsoft is really trying to get people to get behind this cloud idea, and though I'm still skeptical, I honestly hope in the end I can go "yeah, I see why they've done this." Their stance might just be too firm, but I understand what they're trying to do here.

so basically you are buying it because you are hoping that MS will magically after decades of bad practice actually start doing things better than promised?
im sorry for your upcoming dissapointment.
and you seem to ignore all the reasons for not buying it.

Oh, I'm not saying I agree with what they're doing at all, and I'm certainly going to hold off on buying it at the very least. I'm just one of the few people willing to give Microsoft the benefit of the doubt here. If it's complete shit, it's complete shit, and I won't be surprised, but I think Microsoft is hoping that people will understand what they've been going for.

Apparently defending Microsoft with calm rationale is seen as being a blind fanboy. I certainly don't like the idea of any of this. Part of me just hopes that there's actually going to be a reason for all of this in the end.

frizzlebyte:

Andy Chalk:
...it is a "service-based world..."

And this, my friends, is the admission that they (not just MS, either) want to lock you into paying a recurring fee for just about everything you do. It is only a matter of time before you wonder why you have to pay a fee to use that internet-enabled refrigerator you bought and paid for, just so you can upload your recipes and grocery-list to "the cloud."

and then accessing your lists will be slowed down because there'll be forced advertisements that come up telling you where to shop and what to buy, even if they aren't on your lists or the stores don't sell what you need for your recipes, and from there, they'll be a slow connection. so the ads will run even slower.

CAPTCHA: i'm batman
Oh please someone flash the bat signal, we've got a new supervillain in town and he seems to be best friends with the joker

Pretty much says it all, thanks Microsoft.

This guy has to have been grown in a laboratory... I swear he must have.

Only science could produce this much blind arrogance and douchebaggery in one entity.

Ah, so Microsoft is going to keep support for all aspects of the 360 through the next console generation? They're going to support and encourage publishers to continue releasing games for the older hardware, even to the extent of forgoing features that would make versions on the XBox One superior?

That's quite a commitment, and I applaud Microsoft for being willing to accept such a burden for the sake of not leaving unconnected gamers out in the cold. It's completely contrary to the philosophy they've embraced in every other arena of their business, of course, which is what makes it such a pleasant surprise.

But I'm sure they recognize that anything short of such a commitment would make a statement telling those without a broadband connection to "buy a 360" in the wake of such a slew of superior options would just seem contemptuous and dismissive. And obviously, Microsoft's keen marketing instincts would never cause them to make a statement that had the potential to be read as alienating to a large segment of their populace.

This message has been closed-captioned for the sarcasm-impaired.

>SARCASM<

The funny thing is that he got to the always online part himself. Geoff basically just let him talk and didn't directly ask about it, Mattrick drove himself into that corner.

Well then Microsoft, I loved the 360 but peace out, I'm off to Playstation. Anybody suggest any good games to buy on PS4's PS3 log?

Adam Orth get's fired for telling everyone to "deal with it". In comparison to this, he was pretty much being downright polite.

Now I feel really self-conscious about loving my Xbox 360 to death.

How is one supposed to feel pride in being a customer of said company, when reading articles like this?!

Just before heading to sleep, I basically swiftly got myself caught up on the XBox One release, PS4 release, and the Mattrick interview video because of this thread.

Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Seriously though, this does just seem like one massive joke at Microsoft's expense. I've always been a PC gamer, yet despite this I now know that if I suddenly decide I want a console, it'll be the PS4. Or at the very least, not the XBox One.

I just don't understand how they could so massively misunderstand what a good portion of their consumers want in a console, let alone how this guy got to the position of representing Microsoft's (rather dubious) decisions.

Ah well, as I alluded to, good for a laugh before heading to sleep. Will have to remember to keep track of the launch day (and onwards) sales of this coming generation of consoles...

Mr.Squishy:

Fiz_The_Toaster:
No no no, that's totally cool.

I can play on another console that won't blatantly fuck me over.

It's called the PS4, and I hear it's pretty cheap.

Zing! That is correct! I'm starting to wonder if this guy's been planted at microsoft by sony or something.

Or maybe he got a bad batch of the corporate water over there, or didn't get invited to a Christmas party. I dunno.

I mean, I know Microsoft is pretty goddamn arrogant when it comes to their products, but good God that was just a slap in the face to potential buyers.

Yes, because it's not like there's an alternative next gen coming out that doesn't have such an assanine connection requirement. Oh wait...

neppakyo:
It seems that clip keeps getting taken down by ms and viacom. Had a few links with it saying this content was taken down by viacom.

Confirmed: even though it's 14 seconds long and newsworthy. Have they never heard of the Streisand Effect?

Myoukochou:

neppakyo:
It seems that clip keeps getting taken down by ms and viacom. Had a few links with it saying this content was taken down by viacom.

Confirmed: even though it's 14 seconds long and newsworthy. Have they never heard of the Streisand Effect?

Viacom flags everything and will constantly take things down. I remember it happened one time when they flagged videos for Ratchet and Clank Future A Crack in Time and managed to get them all taken down...

OT: Well good to know Microsoft has such a brilliant PR team. Something's telling me this is some sort of conspiracy to improve sales of the Xbox 360! XD

snowfi6916:
So Microsoft just told all the people without a stable Internet connection to fuck off?

Yeah, they are done.

How does who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. translate into "stable Internet connection"

Read the article people.

Andy Chalk:
Mattrick claimed Microsoft knew there would be resistance to the decision but said people would come to embrace the idea of a connected console once they actually had a chance to see it in action.

When I read this I see Don Mattrick wearing a flowing dark cape, he has red eyes and he's twirling a devilish moustache. He speaks in a similar manner to Half Life's G-man.

"You will come to... embrace our ideals if only you would... try the console. Hmm."

Things generally are better on the internet

Now where have I heard something similar before...

Fuck.

Akalabeth:

snowfi6916:
So Microsoft just told all the people without a stable Internet connection to fuck off?

Yeah, they are done.

How does who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. translate into "stable Internet connection"

Read the article people.

Imagine this scenario: you haven't "checked in" with your Xbox One console in the last 24 hours but you decide you want to play a game. Xbox starts up and you go to play your game, the console insists that you connect to the internet. You try to connect but your unstable connection isn't strong enough to connect long enough for the authentication to succeed. You can't play that game when you want to.

It amounts to the same thing in the end.

Not G. Ivingname:

WHAT?

There is digging your own grave, there is hitting rock bottom.

Then there is THIS.

Are you trying to sell PS4s for Sony? Is this some kind of Spring Time For Hitler scheme?

This whole debacle is beyond unbelievable at this point. It's some kind of surreal, psychedelic fever dream. I previously used this video

as an allegory for the Xbone. But now I'll have to quote Yahtzee: "That's failing on a whole new level. It's like stepping on a rake and at the end of the rake there's a grenade taped to it". Imagine that video, but with every misstep Sideshow Bob takes ending with a grenade exploding in his face. That's what position MS seems to be in now.

he does know he's supposed to be selling the Xbone right?

Jetsetneo:
Ugh Microsoft, this guy is awful, I didn't think you could dig a deeper hole, but this man is going at it with a shovel alongside your excavators.

This. I am typing this on an xbox 360 right now, and I am not getting an xbone. I am amazed at just how thoroughly ms has mastered the opposite of customer service.

you know.....before the Xbone was revealed, I was actually quite certain I would buy Microsoft's new console. And ALL they had to do was make a simple device that plays pretty videogames.

.....Whelp, that new Super Smash Brothers is looking interesting. The Wii-Fit trainer? how out-of-the-box and quirky.

And yet the arrogance continues! How will Microsoft shoot itself in the foot next? Stay tuned!

Myoukochou:

neppakyo:

The funny part is, based on previous actions, they DO know of the Streisand effect and they took some pretty sweet measures with their costumers as a result.

But that, apparently, was a long time ago. The one person has probably left already. As it is, we shouldn't mind. More spreading of the message. ^^

Captcha: Plenty of time.

Indeed. Pass the popcorn, we'll watch from the sidelines as it crashes Captcha. Man, you feel dark today.

"Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity. It's called PS4 and WiiU," he said.

Fixed.

Yeah, Microsoft is basically giving the finger to people in the military, people in third world countries, and a hella other people who all bought Xbox 360s.
The military wasn't something I'd even considered until I read this article. http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JayJohnson/20130611/194155/The_Xbox_One_from_a_service_members_perspective_Conversations_Ive_had_and_heard_on_my_last_deployment.php

The fun part though? Hackers will have a field day. Spore was cracked months in advance in spite of it's "secure" DRM, Sim City was hacked to have an offline mode. It's only a matter of time before someone finds a way to get around the online requirement, maybe a fake Microsoft server the xbox can connect to once a day. That's just the first step. When that happens, and it will happen, piracy will probably be even worse than on other consoles; do a little hack that uncaps the 10 person limit for the family list and now everyone can share games.

Microsoft, you think your console is safe from hackers and pirates?

Seriously, this is like watching in idle fascination as a train moves full speed towards the edge cliff. They're not there yet, they could always stop and slow down...but they're not doing that.

Zachary Amaranth:

J Tyran:

Why not? M$ are probably past the point where they profit on the hardware now, the Xbone will cost them money for every sale. M$ will still get Xbox Live fees and licencing fees for every game sold, the 360 will remain profitable for a while yet so why not encourage people to buy one?

Really? You're going to do the "M$" thing?

"Why not?" Is easily answered. "Because they're trying to successfully garner support for a new generation of hardware."

Seriously, "screw you, look somewhere else" is a bad business model.

No argument that "screw you, look somewhere else" is a bad business model but trying to market a still profitable device is not.

Well there you have it folks, the eighth console generation is over before it begins.

"They're loving what we do..."

No, we aren't. And we're all buying PS4s. Also, you're a moron.

DugMachine:
The sad thing is the console will still sell relatively well when ignorant dudebros are going to dish out $500 so they can play the next COD and BF4.

That thought actually keeps me up at night. I wish there was a way to educate them, but half of them wouldn't want to be anyway.

OT: It's nothing but corporate BS, smoke and mirrors. It's intended to deceive.

J Tyran:

No argument that "screw you, look somewhere else" is a bad business model but trying to market a still profitable device is not.

Unless you're doing it at the expense of the device you're actively trying to market.

Like, for example, here.

My immediate question here then becomes if this means that Microsoft is making a commitment to support the 360 indefinitely. At which point one has to wonder if this is truly next-gen, if the Xboxone is simply going to be a side-toy for those who want to always be connected.

That aside, every time I hear something from the big console manufacturers I usually want to start slamming my head into my keyboard in exasperation. Always online, lack of backwards compadibility (and I'd imagine plans already being made to make popular 360 games available for download in the new format as "classics"), and other things. I'm a supporter of capitalism, but honestly it's this kind of behavior that provides fuel for it's critics.

Zachary Amaranth:

J Tyran:

Unless you're doing it at the expense of the device you're actively trying to market.

Like, for example, here.

Not really, even if the Xbone was console Jesus its market penetration would be slow at first. Some people cant or wont afford one, others might want to sit on the fence for a bit and see which console gets the best support. Other gamers might want to avoid that horrible post launch drought of releases, if both the 360 and the Xbone are profitable it doesn't really matter. Except the Xbone wont be profitable for years, each console will be sold at a loss and not enough people will have the console to make huge profits on the games.

The 360 will make them a lot more money over the first 12 months after the Xbone launch, it seems Microsoft has learned from Sony in that regard.

Okay, you know what? No. No I will not stand around and take this. I was thinking 'okay, I've got a decent enough connection that checking in every 24 hours isn't a problem. The whole "used-game fee" sucks but that just means I'll really have to do some research and make sure I'll like the game before I buy it. Hell, this might even save me money from not buying games I'm unsure about and end up sucking! And some of those exclusives do look nice...'

But this? This is the fucking line. This is what made sit down and think, in the whole 360 life-cycle there have been only 3 games that have been exclusive to it that I've really wanted. 3! Fable 2 and 3 and the first Mass Effect. All other games (and there's quite a few of them) I could've also gotten on the PS3. So why was I being so loyal?

And now they've shown how little that loyalty means to them, how little all their customers mean to them I'm going to take his advice. I'm going to use my 360 until the bitter end. And then?

I'm getting a PS4.

dpixie:

But this? This is the fucking line. This is what made sit down and think, in the whole 360 life-cycle there have been only 3 games that have been exclusive to it that I've really wanted. 3! Fable 2 and 3 and the first Mass Effect. All other games (and there's quite a few of them) I could've also gotten on the PS3. So why was I being so loyal?

And the funny part is that only one of those is actually still exclusive... Mass Effect and Fable 3 both came to PC a little over half a year after their respective Xbox versions, and ME recently came to the PS3 with the trilogy collection.

OT: Microsoft... I have no words. This is probably going to be the first console generation since Sega's departure where I won't have all of the consoles. Had the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, had a Wii (for a while), PS3, and Xbox 360 along with a PC, and I see myself getting a PS4 and Wii U, but I just can't come up with any reasons to buy an Xbox One.

Sleekit:
"don't buy our new console" that's what i heard there.
this guy sounds like a right mook.

"In news today, Microsoft shares hit rock bottom in the space of 15 seconds".

...eeeyup, that's going to reflect well on Microsoft.

And they wonder why they tanked in Japan.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here