ESA Calls The Cops on Ouya's Parking Lot E3 Booth

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

ESA Calls The Cops on Ouya's Parking Lot E3 Booth

After first attempting to block public view of the Ouya's unofficial E3 presence with semi-trailers, the ESA then called the police to "check its permits."

The Ouya has a presence at this year's E3. Sort of. The creators of the Kickstarter-backed Android-based console rented out a "parking lot" opposite the Los Angeles Convention Center where E3 is being held, where it is displaying the console to anyone who wants to see it. The ESA, the folks behind the main E3 event, are seemingly not very happy with the Ouya team going around the official E3 channels, and have attempted to diminish the console's presence by first physically blocking it from view, and then calling the police to harass them.

Earlier in the week, the ESA rented out the space directly in front of the Ouya booth and planted a couple of semi-trailers there, effectively blocking the console from public view. In response, the Ouya team then played the one-up game by renting the space in front of those trucks and putting up Ouya banners. Julie Uhrman, the founder of the Ouya, then claims that the ESA got Johnny Law involved, calling the LAPD in an attempt to shut the Ouya's booth down permanently.

Uhrman says the police showed up and demanded to see all of the company's relevant permits. After proving that everything was in order, and that the Ouya's "E3 presence" was entirely law-abiding, the police left.

Uhrman believes that her company is being unfairly targeted because they refused to play ball with the ESA. She has vowed to increase the Ouya's street presence in the upcoming days of E3 week, and refuses to be intimidated by the ESA's scare tactics. "If ten more trucks show up, we'll come up with another idea. I have a few up my sleeve," she said.

Source & Image: IGN

Well that escalated quickly.

I imagine this little scuffle will raise much more awareness about that little Android console.

I'm betting that the survivors will come and look upon this day as the catalyst of the last world war.
I, for one, welcome our new Android Ouyalords.

No one likes a bully. Let Ouya show them what it's got. Nothing wrong with some fresh blood in the mix. Hell the fact people got behind it on Kickstart shows how much WE want it.

All I could think about when looking at that photo was "that would be great if they had cop Segways in GTA V that you could steal". And then reality sunk in. No, wait, I got sucked back into the absurdity. Which is more ridiculous? The cop scooters or the "booth" that looks like a stand that sells those ice cream dippin dots?

Oh right, thanks ESA for the free advertising. --Ouya

No publicity is bad publicity, I really hope this backfires and the OUYA gets more attention because of this. I wonder if the Escapist team will cover anything at the booth this year.

Yeah that's pretty shitty though. I'm not even a fan of the thing and I still think this stinks on ESA's part.

ESA just comes off looking bitter and petty.

ESA hasn't heard of the Streisand effect then. Is Ouya that big of a threat to them and did they really think they could muscle them off like that?

Daedrin:
I, for one, welcome our new Android Ouyalords.

Oh, I see what you did there.

Come on ESA, that's not classy.

Well done ESA! With all this quarreling Ouya is going to hit the news sites and the reports are gonna show you for what you really are. A master plan indeed.

First they back SOPA, now they are doing this. I wonder what the ESA will do next to make themselves look bad.

Why are companies these days so adamant about making themselves look like they desperately need a Snickers?

Are those policemen on.... tricycle-segways? What the hell?

I kinda see their point though.. if everybody was just camping outside and not paying for booth space, they'd get no money. Still, this just attracts more attention to ouya..

It's far more likely the ESA just doesn't care and had rented the parking space for, you know, the trucks to load and drop off equipment, displays and such. And the cops were just doing their duty, given the nature of the event, most likely for traffic reasons, as opposed to being called in by the ESA. Note that while Ouya's claiming they did, there's no proof of it, to me it sounds like it's more of them crying wolf for the free publicity and trying to play victim against The Man.

Caiphus:

it's a T3. lots of urban and especially campus police are using them now. I was talking to one of the campus police at my school about them, and apparently they can go up stairs.

ThriKreen:
It's far more likely the ESA just doesn't care and had rented the parking space for, you know, the trucks to load and drop off equipment, displays and such. And the cops were just doing their duty, given the nature of the event, most likely for traffic reasons, as opposed to being called in by the ESA. Note that while Ouya's claiming they did, there's no proof of it, to me it sounds like it's more of them crying wolf for the free publicity and trying to play victim against The Man.

Whoa. What are you doing here with your dirty stinking "logic"?! Reactionary anger and disgust is what this space is for!

Well I knew ESA were a bunch of corporate pricks but to go this far... dear fucking christ you must be desperate.

the doom cannon:

Caiphus:

it's a T3. lots of urban and especially campus police are using them now. I was talking to one of the campus police at my school about them, and apparently they can go up stairs.

That's pretty cool. They haven't got them here in NZ. Maybe for good reason, the policemen would probably get tackled off them, savage as we are.

Am i the only one here that immediately thought "Now what the hell would the European Space Agency have to do with E3 and the Ouya?"

OT: I don't care for the Ouya or the E3, but i find it funny they E3 was so afraid of a tiny vendor across the street, its smart of Ouya to rent that space, then rent the second space for the banners, and its even better that the cops were just like fair enough and took off, plus now Ouyo has a lot of press, and E3 has bad press.

And all this creates feel advertisement for the Ouya. Delicious irony, with all your daily recommended intake.

Can't we all agree that both sides are equally pathetic and may or may not have called the police for bs reasons? Personally if the ESA allows Microsoft in the building they can let the glorified smartcube inside too.

I mean its no more embarrassing than the N-Gage or Virtual Boy.

Caiphus:

the doom cannon:

Caiphus:

That's pretty cool. They haven't got them here in NZ. Maybe for good reason, the policemen would probably get tackled off them, savage as we are.

Imagine trying to drive one in Auckland central. All those steep streets? Also we're not too big on the whole 'assisted mobility for healthy people'. Fatty carts would get laughed at relentlessly here.

While that's certainly a shitty move on the part of the ESA(if it's true), I have to ask...Is there a particular REASON the folks at Ouya didn't just play ball with them in the first place and get a both at E3 just like everybody else? I mean...Getting a booth right across the street IS a little obnoxious, isn't it?

ThriKreen:

I'm inclined to believe this as well, since it seems like Ouya is in the business of being different just for the sake of being different.

ThriKreen:

I would be inclined to agree with you, if Ouya didn't announce to the world their intentions to do this last month.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124152-Ouya-Holding-Public-E3-Booth-in-Parking-Lot

Robot Number V:
While that's certainly a shitty move on the part of the ESA(if it's true), I have to ask...Is there a particular REASON the folks at Ouya didn't just play ball with them in the first place and get a both at E3 just like everybody else? I mean...Getting a booth right across the street IS a little obnoxious, isn't it?

ThriKreen:

I'm inclined to believe this as well, since it seems like Ouya is in the business of being different just for the sake of being different.

According to Ouya, it's because the ESA doesn't want a free license market product. According to ESA, it's because Ouya couldn't afford the booth.

Robot Number V:

Apparently they want to get members of the public able to be able to come up and have a play with the console, and E3 is more of a press-only event.

Kinda understandable, hands-on is going to be the best way of getting their message out, seeing as the first comment under nearly every press release is along the lines of "why would I pay $100 for Angry Birds lol".

Plus, I think they're trying to play up the "rebellious punk" angle a wee bit...

FizzyIzze:
All I could think about when looking at that photo was "that would be great if they had cop Segways in GTA V that you could steal".

I'm pretty much ashamed to admit that was my exact same first thought. With any luck Rockstar will see this pic too and think the same!

Who's the bad guy this week? EA? Microsoft? Activision? Doesn't matter. Whoever the scummiest scumbag in the industry is this week, you can bet they were pushing for this.

It's official. For everything that's wrong with the video game industry, the ESA is now part of the problem.

Silly ESA, if you want to kill the Ouya, just ignore it.

Like everyone else ever.

Everyone loves an underdog. Tbn its a small console idea, it may do ok... seriously stop being mean.

My first thought is that it's a little embarrassing for Ouya to have a dumpy little hotdog-stand-esque booth in the parking lot of E3. It looks pretty cheap. Obviously Ouya doesn't have the big bucks of the huge console contenders, however they have done a great job of obscuring that fact through design and marketing up until now.

To me nothing says "cheap knockoff trying to play with the big boys" more than a parking lot booth across the street from the actual big event. I have no big opinion on the system itself, but to me a move like this just seems to cheapen the brand image they're going for.

I see a lot of people judging the OUYA booth by the single picture in the article, allow me to fix that a bit if i may:

A Google+ post with a few pictures
https://plus.google.com/events/cfhaq4cpa6bn1djob7p75ci0big

Classy job ESA, picking on the indie Android console. I almost want to go out and buy an Ouya, except I already have a PC so....

the doom cannon:

Caiphus:

firstly, those things look ridiculous. if a cop like that would show up here he would probably be laughed out of the campus.
secondly, are cops in US so lazy as they need machines to go up the stairs? whatever happened to having legs?
Then again i see an appeal of a criminal running and then you just drive forward right next to him singing trololo.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here