ESA Calls The Cops on Ouya's Parking Lot E3 Booth

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

gabycms:
I see a lot of people judging the OUYA booth by the single picture in the article, allow me to fix that a bit if i may:

A Google+ post with a few pictures
https://plus.google.com/events/cfhaq4cpa6bn1djob7p75ci0big

I like the picture of the cop holding the Ouya t-shirt.

So not only has the ESA managed to make itself look bad, but it also converted local law enforcement to Ouya supporters. Well done.

Who knew the ESA were a bunch of assholes?

Oh yeah... everyone.

Wait wait wait... ..American cops showed up, saw that everything was in order and then went about their business?

Where's the story about them Tazering/Maceing the Ouya people to death and dragging their mutilated corpses behind their ridiculous scooters around the town? Man, they are really going soft on law abiding citizens now!

Still seems quite pretentious.

"We're an open platform, so we don't want to be at an event that isn't open to the public. We want to hang around outside an event that isn't open to the public, so you guys can all see how open we're being. After all, simply saying, 'We're not going to attend E3 because we don't feel like it's our sort of event' wouldn't get enough attention."

Has anyone seen the real trick here?

This is this year, why not make it bigger next year?

Next year after the Ouya has been out for a while, why not go back and this time invent as many Ouya and Indie Developers, keep it public and allow everyone hands on experience with the games.

The ESA has drawn attention to this small back-lot why not take full advantage of it and say "you started this so we'll finish it!"

I don't even live in the US and I'd support it.

Whatever happens I think we know what US cops will be playing on next year.

Wow, if this is true then ESA is ams dick. Free publicity for the little guy at least. If the ESA block them again I am expecting an OUYA blimp and a mobile wet T-shirt contest to counter it.

MetalMagpie:
Still seems quite pretentious.

"We're an open platform, so we don't want to be at an event that isn't open to the public. We want to hang around outside an event that isn't open to the public, so you guys can all see how open we're being. After all, simply saying, 'We're not going to attend E3 because we don't feel like it's our sort of event' wouldn't get enough attention."

It is a bit pretentious using E3 as a stepping stone but its also clever marketing.

Firstly, if someone asks where it is then all they need to say is near E3 there's a parking lot near X, Y and Z.

At the same time it is public that means ANYONE can visit it including the press, there are no restrictions to who you can talk to, no rules against who can or can't play with the Ouya (OK time restrictions so many people can play with it) what's stopping the Press crossing the road and trying it themselves? OK the E3 and ESA may say they can't but throwing their weight around that much is SUICIDAL and even the media has their limits of tolerance.

Thirdly its clearly cheaper than an E3 booth. I don't know the costs of an E3 booth and how much is profit after electricity but think about it; the Ouya team would have to find Power and other amenities to support them, after all that if its still cheaper than an E3 booth then clearly E3 has their pricing for booths wrong.

Finally after seeing the Google pictures, it looks and feels more welcoming that a lot of gaming events I have seen, its light and airy. If I was local then I'd go.

Well this is a fun read // I do hope that is escalates further, I'm looking forward to see how petty ESA can be and how the Ouya will over come those problems // Send in all of the trucks!

-M

Vie:
Wait wait wait... ..American cops showed up, saw that everything was in order and then went about their business?

Where's the story about them Tazering/Maceing the Ouya people to death and dragging their mutilated corpses behind their ridiculous scooters around the town? Man, they are really going soft on law abiding citizens now!

Not quite. They posed for photos first.

As for the people trying to play a weak devil's advocate here, do you really think that you would have to offload equipment across the street from a place a huge as the Los Angeles Convention Center? According to the venue's website, the place has 36 loading docks. Benefit of the doubt denied.

EDIT: My apologies, that's 36 loading docks in the South Hall alone. From what I can see, it ends up being 51 total loading docks of various sizes throughout the convention center.

Ohlookit'sMatty:
Well this is a fun read // I do hope that is escalates further, I'm looking forward to see how petty ESA can be and how the Ouya will over come those problems // Send in all of the trucks!

-M

What problems? This is giving them more publicity than they could have dared to hope for on their own.

Scars Unseen:
As for the people trying to play a weak devil's advocate here, do you really think that you would have to offload equipment across the street from a place a huge as the Los Angeles Convention Center?

That's just loading docks, says nothing about where to park the empty trucks afterwards for the week before they have to load them up again. Could be they ran out of space at the usual parking spot, who knows? Thing is, we don't have any proof other than the Ouya person claiming an ESA did it.

I just keep thinking "Well, if you wanted to be at E3..."

Still the ESA doesn't come out well here either because when the Ouya threw a tantrum because of ESA's rules the ESA just refused to play with Ouya anymore. Yes, this whole affair seems very childish to me from both sides.

Scars Unseen:

Ohlookit'sMatty:

-M

What problems? This is giving them more publicity than they could have dared to hope for on their own.

There is also that, which I'm sure ESA didn't realize when they started play hard ball // Well jokes on them!

-M

Adam Locking:

Plus, I think they're trying to play up the "rebellious punk" angle a wee bit...

You have to admit though, it's a damn effective marketing strategy. Think of it this way: You've heard of Pussy Riot, yes?

ThriKreen:

That's just loading docks, says nothing about where to park the empty trucks afterwards for the week before they have to load them up again. Could be they ran out of space at the usual parking spot, who knows? Thing is, we don't have any proof other than the Ouya person claiming an ESA did it.

Those are excellent points.

If E3 is bigger this year than last year, with more big-name developers bringing more trucks than ever before, then they might have run out of parking space after cycling 56+ trucks through the various loading docks. Just seems odd that ESA would rent the additional space after Ouya rented theirs.

But, yeah, there's absolutely no evidence ESA called the cops. They might have just been bored while patrolling around. "Street vendors" tend to get harassed pretty regularly in LA.

IKWerewolf:
Thirdly its clearly cheaper than an E3 booth. I don't know the costs of an E3 booth and how much is profit after electricity but think about it; the Ouya team would have to find Power and other amenities to support them, after all that if its still cheaper than an E3 booth then clearly E3 has their pricing for booths wrong.

I mostly agree with what you're saying. But I think this bit may be a bit naive. You don't just pay for the space and amenities at these sort of events. You pay for all the promotion that being at that event gives you. That's why they're always so expensive to go to. The big show for my industry is Mobile World Congress and it is really not cheap to exhibit there! But it's worth it for the exposure you get and the contacts you can make. (Also, apparently a lot of drinking happens.)

I can understand why ESA might be annoyed that Ouya are pigging-backing on their event without paying, but that doesn't mean this is the best way of dealing with it.

ThriKreen:

Scars Unseen:
As for the people trying to play a weak devil's advocate here, do you really think that you would have to offload equipment across the street from a place a huge as the Los Angeles Convention Center?

Well at the very least, we do apparently know that the ESA wasn't supposed to put their trailers there, since the cops made them move them (but let the Ouya guys stay). source

That little vehicle is funny looking. I can see the police in Demolition Man using it. Other than that I have nothing of value to add, but I'll agree with the guy who said that blocking Ouya's "booth" wasn't intentional.

gabycms:
I see a lot of people judging the OUYA booth by the single picture in the article, allow me to fix that a bit if i may:

A Google+ post with a few pictures
https://plus.google.com/events/cfhaq4cpa6bn1djob7p75ci0big

Heh, they even got the police to help with the advertising photos. If this really was caused by the ESA, I'd hazard a guess that things did not go as planned.

The ESA, because all the asshats at EA and Microsoft have to do something in their spare time

I don't see how people can be picking on the Ouya here. Even if E3 is right and Ouya couldn't afford the booth, they were simply smart about it and rented a parking lot to showcase their product rather than simply not attend E3 due to lack of funding. That isn't diminishing the console's image; it's showing how intuitive the minds behind the project are and how willing they are to showcase their product at E3, going so far as to bend the rules so they can still get in without the necessary funding. That's pretty admirable, imo.

I'm not exactly gunning for the Ouya; probably gonna be a PC, PS4, Wii U, and 3DS gamer, but I have to at least credit them for playing ESA's game and turning them on their head. Hope they enjoy the free publicity and, if Ouya turns out to be this great damn deal, I might check it out.

Scars Unseen:
Well at the very least, we do apparently know that the ESA wasn't supposed to put their trailers there, since the cops made them move them (but let the Ouya guys stay). source

That article still references the original tweet by Ouya. But still no proof it was ESA backing it up. Which is the whole point of our skepticism. How do you know it was the ESA and say, not one of the other companies at the event, or the company that owns the trucks or that the driver decided this was a good place to park?

If it was proven that ESA did do this, then we'd change our stance. I particularly don't care about the Ouya, but support more competition and it's open platform policy. I just think making claims like this without proof is really shaddy and makes them lose some respect points.

So, why did the Ouya chaps need to be in the car park in the first place? Is there a reason they aren't inside?

*wants to reduce awareness of Android gaming platform for not doing it their way*

*calls cops and causes greater awareness for the console and the booth*

Good job, ESA. Would you like a 2nd bullet to shoot yourself in the foot with?

I'm actually with the ESA here. Even if they're being a tad tactless about it, they are entirely right that companies can't just show and decide they are just entitled to the E3 publicity that everyone else at the expo has had to pay for. Either they can afford a booth and are being completely entitled and difficult in this situation, or they can't, in which case I don't see how they have the funding to mass produce a console.

Sol_HSA:
I kinda see their point though.. if everybody was just camping outside and not paying for booth space, they'd get no money.

So the solution to getting no money from them is to spend even more money to try and trump a penny-ante booth.

This is Looney Tunes. No seriously, I could swear there's an episode of it somewhere. It even has the catch phrase "Of course you know, this means war!"

piinyouri:

Yeah that's pretty shitty though. I'm not even a fan of the thing and I still think this stinks on ESA's part.

ESA just comes off looking bitter and petty.

Honestly the fact that the people in charge of E3 took it upon themselves to block the Ouya stand at any means necessary despite being

1) Across the street and
2) Have every legal right to occupy that spot

Tells me that they are the true assholes of this situation. That booth is about as big as a hotdog stand. Give them a fucking break.
They aren't diverting your precious revenue.

Sol_HSA:
I kinda see their point though.. if everybody was just camping outside and not paying for booth space, they'd get no money. Still, this just attracts more attention to ouya..

The issue is is that if I remember correctly they were barred from having a booth at E3 anyway.
Also they LEGALLY paid money to have the right to set up a booth across the street from the convention center. They had papers and everything. Which is why the LAPD didn't do anything about it.

Ronack:
Why are companies these days so adamant about making themselves look like they desperately need a Snickers?

uro vii:
they are entirely right that companies can't just show and decide they are just entitled to the E3 publicity that everyone else at the expo has had to pay for. Either they can afford a booth and are being completely entitled and difficult in this situation, or they can't, in which case I don't see how they have the funding to mass produce a console.

The problem is that companies *can* do what Ouya did. There would be no way for the ESA or anybody to stop them other than renting all the space in the vicinity themselves. Otherwise you'd need to check every person that wanted to rent some space nearby to make sure they weren't doing it for reasons that are related to electronic entertainment. ESA might be disappointed that some journalists choose to devote some coverage to the people in a car park rather than the things they spent money making, but that's a choice made by the journalist, not the Ouya people taking something away from E3.

If they can't afford a booth then this seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. To be sure, it wouldn't work if everybody tried it, but I can't see Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo sitting in a car park :-) It might be that they could have spent the money on a booth, but decided the money was better spent elsewhere, maybe employing somebody or developing something else for the Ouya.

The timing and positioning of the trailer's parking strikes me as being a bit too convenient for the ESA for me to assume it wasn't intentional. Having said that, they were perfectly within their rights to park it there, and also to call the police and ask for the Ouya people's permits to be checked.

ESA: You pieces of trash should go support PIPA and SOPA some more!!!

If this is the state of gaming then I am ashamed to say I am a gamer since apparently people will just believe the "little guy" just on there word against "the man".

Maybe it's just me, but this smells of a publicity stunt. Why the hell should the ESA care about the Ouya? It's more likely Ouya did this all themselves. First they get a booth outside E3 because they're edgy and rebels. The someone used tractor tailors to block the view of their booth across the fucking street, not because that was the only reasonable place to park tractor trailers or any other reason that had nothing to do with these chodes across the street pretending to be edgy rebels. Now someone calls the police which would be the most petty thing anyone could do. With nearly every video game commentator and a good deal of the public thinking people will waste $100 on a Ouya and then absolutely forget about it six months later, these chodes are not a threat to the industry at all. Even the idea of an open platform is not a threat. A threat would be a game system that does something cool that other systems don't and plays great games on it. Best the Ouya could do is start a cottage industry of people making and building their own Android console. But such a thing will forever be the realm of the tech heads. The ubiquitousness of the PC has not led people to build their own PC or even use services where they have tech heads build their own PC for them. People still just buy off the shelf because they don't want to have to know that much about computers. So even the most impact the Ouya could hope to have is going to be a damp squib. Unless one of the developers manages to make a killer app. Without a killer app, this console generation is dead in the water.

Smells like BS to me. They have not given proof that the ESA called the cops. They seem to be playing up the rebel angle. Let's be honest, while the Kickstarter for this thing succeeded, the reaction to the hands on previews of the Ouya was very mediocre. And being in the parking lot across the street is a little obnoxious to do.

gabycms:
No publicity is bad publicity, I really hope this backfires and the OUYA gets more attention because of this. I wonder if the Escapist team will cover anything at the booth this year.

Well you and I are posting about it so I think wish granted.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here