The Last Guardian Isn't Dead, According To Sony

The Last Guardian Isn't Dead, According To Sony

We just want to be confident when we release this one, says Yoshida.

The Last Guardian, Sony's long-delayed boy-and-incredibly-cute-griffin fantasy game, is still alive, according to Sony's Shuhei Yoshida. "If you visit Japan Studio there are lots of people working on it," says Yoshida, but he went on to say that "we really want to be confident next time when we introduce The Last Guardian to the public, so we are waiting for that time to come."

His comments were echoed by Software Product Development Head for Sony Worldwide Studios America, Scott Rohde. "So, we're not talking about when The Last Guardian is coming out," said Rohde, "but it is still a game that there's a lot of love for inside PlayStation walls, because everybody sees how emotionally driven that the entire fan base of PlayStation always responds with when we talk about The Last Guardian." Even so, Rohde refused to announce any details about the title. He was only prepared to say it was alive, nothing more.

The last we heard of this one, its former creative supervisor Fumito Ueda said it was in good hands, but that was all he said, and there's been nothing since.

Source: CVG, Joystiq

So all those jokes about this game's release will be over? Maybe?

Ha! This thing is about as alive as Jimmy Hoffa.

It's been almost a decade since Shadow of the Colossus. What's taking so long, guys?

Team Ico, quit tickling our taint and tell us something about the game damn it! We were already disappointing it wasn't going to show up again at this years E3. Please tell us something concrete.

This just in: The Last Guardian confirmed as a launch title for Sony's next console, the PlayStation 7. Coming holiday 2034.

In other news, George R.R. Martin is still saying Winds of Winter is coming "next year".

This isn't life, this is is Half-Life.

captcha: face the music
I did a long time ago captcha

The Last Guardian may not be dead, but we might be at this pace.

When I bought a ps3 this was one of the games I was most looking forward to. Needless to say I'm not making that mistake again. In my mind this game is now dead until it is actually released.

"Don't worry, ladies and gentlemen, given their fantastic history with this sort of thing, we'll give it to Gearbox, and it will be out in another six years!"

I kid, but damn, is this game taking a long ass time.

I can't even imagine it's the same game as shown at... whatever year it was shown, 1978?

Probably started from scratch.

Yeah... if you call that "living"...

Right now this game is somewhere trapped in a dingy basement whimpering, "Kill me... Kill meeee..."

Honestly, I've passed the point of caring.

Chances are, if this game is ever released, it won't likely live up to the wait and hype, like pretty much all other long-delayed games.

I had actually forgotten all about this game until today.

Uh-huh, I'll believe it when I see it on the shelves.

Well Square Enix finally gave us Versus (now FF XV) news. So if they can resurrect a title long thought to be dead, I'm sure Team Ico might be able to.

Remember also that Shadow of the Colossus was first called NICO, before they scrapped the whole thing, started from scratch and it was re-branded into SotC. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to The Last Guardian.

For those who didn't know that, here's a trailer

It's either a PS4 launch title that they plan to keep under wraps till the last second or it has become the New Duke Nukem forever. A pet project that has gone HORRIBLY WRONG!

My money is on the last minute launch announcement. Can you imagine the kind of hipster buzz this would generate?

I knew it! The Last Guardian isn't dead yet! I kept the faith!

Fabulous stuff. We can keep going, there is reason to go on.

If I can still wait for Half Life 2: Episode 3, I can wait for The Last Guardian.

Eclipse Dragon:
Well Square Enix finally gave us Versus (now FF XV) news. So if they can resurrect a title long thought to be dead, I'm sure Team Ico might be able to.

Remember also that Shadow of the Colossus was first called NICO, before they scrapped the whole thing, started from scratch and it was re-branded into SotC. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened to The Last Guardian.

For those who didn't know that, here's a trailer

But Fumito Ueda was still behind it then. Maybe I'm wrong, but he was the driving creative force behind those two titles (Ico, SotC). And the moment he left The Last Guardian I had a dreadful feeling it would not bode well.

And I'm still not buying that "freelance creative director" spin. My guess is, Sony felt Ueda was wasting the investors' money with the direction he was going with the game. So they booted him off the project or made conditions impossible for him to make the game he wanted and left on his own.

Now they're left with a game that they don't know how to finish.

And I was so looking forward to this damn game, too.

Casual Shinji:
But Fumito Ueda was still behind it then. Maybe I'm wrong, but he was the driving creative force behind those two titles (Ico, SotC). And the moment he left The Last Guardian I had a dreadful feeling it would not bode well.

And I'm still not buying that "freelance creative director" spin. My guess is, Sony felt Ueda was wasting the investors' money with the direction he was going with the game. So they booted him off the project or made conditions impossible for him to make the game he wanted and left on his own.

Now they're left with a game that they don't know how to finish.

And I was so looking forward to this damn game, too.

Even with Fumito Ueda gone, you still have Team ICO, who spent a great deal of time with him and also worked on the other two games. We'll just have to wait and see how it goes. If the game gets released, I doubt it will be anything like what people are expecting. The good news for Sony is that people aren't expecting much (a game featuring a giant griffin thing and a little boy that looks something aesthetically like SotC). It's very likely they ran into development hell and had to rebuild the whole thing from scratch, possibly with a new gameplay concept. At this point if it doesn't get released, I'll be a little disappointed, but not surprised. If it does get released, I'm interested to see the new direction they'll inevitably take with a new creative head. You could certainly do worse than Sony as far as publishers are concerned.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here