Lots of Life Left in PS2, Says Sony's Reeves

Lots of Life Left in PS2, Says Sony's Reeves

David Reeves, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, has said he expects another three to four years of development life for its aging PlayStation 2 platform.

"We encourage third parties to continue development for the PS2. If they bring a PS3 version out, they can bring a PS2 version out as well," Reeves said. He also suggested Sony may have mishandled the transition from the original PlayStation to the PlayStation 2 platform, saying, "There is a lot of money still. What happened last time with PS1 is that they left a lot of money on the table by making the transition too quickly."

His statement that the PlayStation 2 would remain a viable system for development was met with doubt by some industry figures, who suggested a a more conservation two to three years of useful life as the console market migrates to next-generation systems. "There will be a bit of a shift in terms of consumers we will reach, in terms of the regions," said Gerhard Florin of Electronic Arts. "Machines in the market may be handed on - not to the younger brother, but maybe to the older sister to play a party game."

Tighter margins on older systems can also make the prospect of developing for the PlayStation 2 exclusively less attractive. Ubisoft President Yves Guillemot said that lower prices on PlayStation 2 titles means publishers must sell greater numbers to generate revenues comparable to those of next-gen systems. Referring to sales levels of Ubisoft's Rainbow Six: Vegas title for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, he said, "Doing 1.1 million (units) on the PS2 in the U.S. today is not easy, and for the same revenue you have to do 1.6 million at $40."

Reeves, however, said the large number of programmers with PlayStation 2 experience both simplifies the development process and makes it easier for large publishers to subcontract the work. "You can set up your external company now, and in the next five years you can be a billionaire just developing for PS2."

Released in 2000, the PlayStation 2 remains the most widely-installed game console on the market. Despite its age, it also continues to sell well in comparison to newer systems; according to the latest NPD figures, the PlayStation 2 handily outsold both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles in the month of July.

This is a no-brainer: developers can stop worrying about bleeding edge gfx and focus more on decent gameplay. Let the Ubisoft's have their dual core processing on the PS3 and give lower-echelon devs a chance to bring us more Okami's and Katamari's. No one is just going to throw away their PS2, especially considering the PS3's still-unreasonable-for-most price range.

PS2: Biggest home game console of all time.
PS3: Biggest home-electronics fiasco of all time.

The choice is yours o/~

It seems that Sony would have a vested interest in trying to salvage the PS3 as much as they could... then again, this could be a sign they've realized they goofed.

When it's a company as big as Sony, "realization" happens well before "self-admission" and even further before "public admission." First there's the matter of stratification of management, and then the public backlash and possible legal action resulting from actually admitting any screwup and apologizing. So any communication in that regard has to be very very carefully stated.

I don't really understand why everyone keeps saying Sony has made the PS3 into some kind of next gen fiasco.

The PS3 is also a Blu-ray player which means they can only drop the price by so much before undercutting and upsetting their Blu-ray format player licensees.

Seeing as the PS3 is most likely going to sell over 5 million units world wide by 2008 because they've already sold over 4.32 million according to vgchartz.com and have quite the line up of games coming before holiday season with Warhawk releasing today, it might not swim as well as the Wii but it's not drowning either.

Put that together with the fact that people are still making good games for the PS2 such as Persona 3, Odin Sphere and Guitar Hero Encore. With others also planning on making games for the PS2 such as Mr. Jaffe with Twisted Metal: Head On. I don't understand why everyone stays on Sony's case about the sales numbers of the PS3. When they can still offset the losses taken from the PS3 hardware because of BD sales and the popularity of the PS2 in countries that simply aren't ready for the "next generation".

This whole thing is starting to remind me of an economics class I took last fall where in early October my professor asked "why were gas prices dropping?" And everyone in the class just started about politics completely missing the right answer.

In this case everyone just keeps talking about the perception of Sony's status instead of actually looking at all the facts.

The fakeposting has really got to stop around here.

I don't think the PS3 is a fiasco. Mistakes were done: possibly unnecessarily too advanced for its time, completely nonsensical marketing campaign, no game worth it, presented as everything safe a console, etc.
It is a slow starter. It's obviously a very long term console. I think it's a too long term console, in fact, but we're only seeing the beginning, and things will settle anyway.
Yeah, we all love bashing Sony at some point for their insolence and big mouthed PR (an attitude out of Japan's humility possible cliché), but let's not bury the lady too early.

It's still a powerful console, it sells. Maybe slowly, but it sells. It's just a very big piece of technology, one that's hard to swallow. Hard to work on. Like always for Sony's consoles anyway, safe that this time the step is even higher.

But prices will drop, and big games have yet to pop their head in the console's catalogue.

As always, Sony consoles always struggle to provide good catalogue at the beginning. It took me 3 to 4 years before thinking acquiring a PS2, as I considered its catalogue rich enough.

Yet, most of the videogame gems I collect on the PS2 only came in the console's late years.

So with a console that plans to run for 10 years at least, maybe we should wait a bit.

No doubt the PS3 will pick up momentum as time propels it forward. In fact, it has the technological capability to be at the head of the pack, if and when it becomes more commercially accessible and populated with better and better titles.

That being said, in the meantime there is no reason for Sony to give up on producing content for the PS2, as it is still a viable medium that most consumers will have no problem purchasing new titles for.

J.theYellow:
The fakeposting has really got to stop around here.

What?

LxDarko:
I don't really understand why everyone keeps saying Sony has made the PS3 into some kind of next gen fiasco.

The PS3 is also a Blu-ray player which means they can only drop the price by so much before undercutting and upsetting their Blu-ray format player licensees.

Right there. Right there.

People who wanted a successor to the PS2 wanted a game system, not a Blu-Ray player.

Sony shot themselves in the foot assuming gamers would jump at the chance to watch Blu-Ray's at the low price of 600$ rather then be interested in gaming.

The 360 was essentialy a PS3 without a Blu-Ray player and a larger library(at the time) with the advantage of being almost half the price.

As a gamer, you wanted a gaming console, not a movie player. Yes, Blu-ray is a nice function to have and the fact you can fit more on a Blu-Ray disc is great(FF13) but the fact is, people weren't looking for a new movie player, they were looking for a game console. Xbox did DVD and games and was a lot cheaper then the PS3, because of the Blu-Ray player built in. And sadly for Sony, Blu-Ray wasn't to DVD, what DVD was to VHS.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here