Jack Thompson Threatens Take-Two Over Jack Thompson

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Jack Thompson Threatens Take-Two Over Jack Thompson

Jack Thompson has threatened Take-Two Games over a mission in Grand Theft Auto IV in which the player must kill a lawyer who, according to Thompson, is him.

According to a letter sent to Take-Two's Strauss Zelnick and Ben Feder, as well as numerous other individuals and media outlets, Thompson saw a reference in the September 2007 issue of Game Informer in which the offending mission was described. The player must kill a lawyer who, after meeting the player, says, "Guns don't kill people. Videogames do."

In his letter, Thompson says, "This faux quotation, which I have never uttered is nevertheless attributed to me at countless Internet sites obtained by googling the above quotation of the lawyer killed in GTA IV. The fact that the lawyer, kill [sic] on Niko's first mission, would bring up videogames, makes it more clearly a reference to me. Game informer finds the non sequitur reference to videogames by the assassinated lawyer a "hilarious response."

Thompson claims this is not the first time Take-Two has "targeted" him, referencing the site at www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org which arose as a result of his efforts against Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, but Thompson claims surprise that Zelnick would "sink this low" in its efforts to discredit him. "Now you have descended this low," Thompson wrote, "using one of your games to threaten my physical safety."

"You have until five o'clock p.m. this Friday, September 21, 2007, to inform me via e-mail that you are going to delete the above references and any other references that could reasonably be construed to be references to me in Grand Theft Auto IV and any other videogames that are pending release," he wrote.

"Govern yourselves accordingly, or else."

Gee, and I thought Al Gore held the record for humorless, dull wackos...Jack T. needs to be on some meds.....maybe a big chill pill. And, hey...he's damn lucky it's all about gamers and not Al Queda...or he wouldn't have his empty pathetic head on his neck any more.

Bah, this guy needs to be ignored, as most of what the media reports him as saying is utter non-sense...

Thank you, Jacko, for teh comedy gold. Also, for providing some future law student an excellent case study for his/her "frivolous litigation" module.

-- Steve

You know, the more I hear about this guy, the more I kind of admire him. Sure, he's absurdly litigious, he misspells something in just about every communication I've seen, and as seen here, he's rather self-centered. Nonetheless, it takes a certain courage and strength of character to stand against an industry and a consumer base in the hundreds of millions with absolute disregard for the loathing they feel toward him.

Of course, it might just be a side-effect of his being a douche. Oh well.

I'm not sure about this one. On the one hand, Rockstar is kind of backing up Thompson's statements (which I believe are ridiculous) about how video games encourage violence by inserting a character (to be killed) who could be construed as Thompson. Since he's despised by gamers and I'm assuming the industry it's a pretty good situation to "get revenge" on him.

On the other hand, it's also ridiculous to say that this lawyer character is Jack Thompson. Criminal lawyers are, by nature, lying, conniving bastards and the one in the game may have been a jackass who screwed with the wrong people. Also, why the hell would they remove this kind of content from a game on his command? It's not even feasible.

I don't think Thompson can be said to possess either courage or strength of character so much as some kind of narcissistic psychopathy.

Malygris:
I don't think Thompson can be said to possess either courage or strength of character so much as some kind of narcissistic psychopathy.

I'll go with narcisism too, in light of his current imbroglio: Seeking an injunction against the release of Halo 3. At this late date? That takes a special flavour of superman-complex to think he can void that many contracts (pre-orders) in such a short time.

-- Steve

He's only doing us a favour, by completely "foolizing" (ugh) the opposite side.

Go Go Jack!

Ugh. I'm not happy at Rockstar for adding fuel to Thompson's fire. It's given him more crazy minded "evidence" that his paranoia is well founded.

How could they sink this low? Clearly someone ought to send their mothers strongly worded letters.

"You have until five o'clock p.m. this Friday, September 21, 2007, to inform me via e-mail... Govern yourselves accordingly, or else."

Dun Dun Dun!

I wouldn't just to see what he does.

Suddenly GTA 4 sounds even more inviting...

What a friggin egomaniac. Hes the antithesis of a fanboy, instead of wanting to be the cool badass character who rides to glory/money/hookers/other, he wants to be the bullet hungry jester of the above mentioned. Well, I'm glad hes taken the bitch rung of the totem pole of game character wannabes, cause so few of us ever truly stop there. Yes, we have the unoriginality to enjoy being the (generally) protagonist of the series, or their badass buddy with an endless amount of ammunition and endless amounts of health cause you never have to play as the bastard, or even the randomly appearing love interest, holding the good guy/girl's lifetime desire in one hand and a desert eagle in the other and making fustrating but forgivable setbacks.

Honor the doushebag, for he has proudly set himself as the foundation of the stairs all of us climb over to so much as enjoy a game for five minutes...

Damn that's one hell of an ego.

So Jack sees himself as the only lawyer who's ever done anything relating to videogames?

(Ok, we all know Rockstar ARE aiming this parody material at Jack, but hey, surely it needs to be rock solid, set in stone PROVED to be a legal case?)

If he sues them, he cannot (or at least shouldn't) win it. There's just not enough proof, in my opinion.

Trotgar:
If he sues them, he cannot (or at least shouldn't) win it. There's just not enough proof, in my opinion.

Good thing it was 2 years ago though right?

KSarty:

Trotgar:

Good thing it was 2 years ago though right?

I'm getting tired of people reviving really old news stories...

Wait Jack Thompson reads game informer? Man the guy isn't as wacko as I thought, he's just like me!... wait a september 2007 issue?.... he must have been in a hurry to find something to read while takeing a dump so he naturly turned to his stack of out of date game informer magazines, again just like me!

Dude this guy has his priorities straight man.

Maybe he'll sue every WWII game developer next cause the Thompson machine gun was clearly named after him out of pure spite on the game developers part.

Awww, poor Jack is lonely without his lawyer job...poor baby.

How the hell do mouth-breathers like him get bloody university degrees?

You think you're the only lawyer against video games, Jacko? Oh wait...

I will buy every take two game i can find if they simply write an email saying

Dear Jack Thompson

Fuck you.

Love, Take Two Games

Dr. Hellno:
it takes a certain courage and strength of character to stand against an industry and a consumer base in the hundreds of millions with absolute disregard for the loathing they feel toward him.

I think it has more to do with him not giving two shits about what the gamers think of him rather then any sort of courage and strength of character.

That plus the fact that he is an idiot.

I would call the game, "Go suck a fat veiny one Jack Thompson" Out of spite. And then, like in Law and Order, add in the back of the box the warning saying any similarities to real people are purely coincidental.

So he says that they quoted something that he would have said. THAT MAKES NOE SENCE. im going back to ending humanity now, Just remeber Thompson, your on The List.

HE'S NOT A FRAKKING LAWYER ANYMORE. Does he or does he not understand this? What's he going to do, drive up to Take-Two's headquarters and scream at them until the men in the white coats come?

The_Oracle:
HE'S NOT A FRAKKING LAWYER ANYMORE. Does he or does he not understand this? What's he going to do, drive up to Take-Two's headquarters and scream at them until the men in the white coats come?

Yes. Or else!

To Jack Thompson: No one likes you. You are more hated than Twilight. Now STFU!

The_Oracle:

Here's hoping that he does just so they can finally stick him in the funny farm and call it a day.

Why did someone necro a 2 year old story?

I think i might just fire up gta4 again just to play through that mission again.......and again........and again

I dont think Jack T would walk down a dark alley if there were video gamers at the other end. I think he believes that we would all kill him any chance we got. Gotta love paranoid people and the shit they believe.

Okay...gonna take a really unpopular stance on this one. I think Jack Thompson is right.

*whimper*

Legally, of course, he doesn't have a leg to stand on. If the sole identifying feature of the lawyer character is a quote that Jack Thompson never actually said, he would be hard-pressed to prove that it's in any way based on him. But that's not the point. It probably is a reference to him, and judging by some of the above comments a lot of us know it. Now just take a second to put yourself in his neurotic, excessively litigious
position. Wouldn't you feel pretty threatened? A multimillion dollar company decided to single you out and publicly depict you getting executed, and millions of players around the world are shooting digital-you in the face and enjoying it. I'm not saying this would translate into real-world violence, but...yeesh.

Of course The Oracle is right, Thompson is not a ("frakking", hehe) lawyer anymore, but back when this story was still relevant--in 2007--he was.

Next on GTA's case. Joel Gardiner AKA FPS_Doug writes a letter to Rockstar about a case of identiy theft.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here