Majority of Americans Play Games: NPD Report

Majority of Americans Play Games: NPD Report

An NPD survey shows a majority of Americans play videogames and that a majority within that set of Americans plays to relieve stress.

The NPD Group has released survey results showing that a majority of Americans plays video games, and that a majority within that set of Americans play to relieve stress.

Sixty-three percent of respondents reported playing videogames, about 40 percent of gamers saying they spent the same amount of time gaming this year vs. last year, and the rest split almost evenly between playing more and playing less.

The survey was based on responses from 5,039 members of NPD's online consumer panel. It was conducted from October 11-18.

The NPD release noted:

In terms of demographics and gaming behavior, the heaviest gamers are typically male, ages 18-34, who devote relatively significant amounts of time and money to gaming and focus primarily on more "hardcore" genres, as opposed to casual, lighter games.

NPD official Anita Frazier assessed the report's results in the following terms:

"The challenge for the industry is that consumers are a fickle group, and with the great variety of options pulling at their limited free time, they're going to be easily distracted unless something really compels them to stay with gaming."

Source: Kotaku.com

I, for one, am shocked.

Hooray! Scientific studies to beck up my previously baseless claims!

Ha take that school system saying that adults don't play video games

Pretty sure because you're doing an "online" survey the majority will be into games. It's like taking a survey in a swimming pool asking if people are scared of water.

SAccharing10:
Pretty sure because you're doing an "online" survey the majority will be into games.

All statistics have their skew. I suppose you've highlight this study's.

That's it, time to quit, gaming isn't cool anymore.

Damn you majority, why did you have to do this to me?

SAccharing10:
Pretty sure because you're doing an "online" survey the majority will be into games. It's like taking a survey in a swimming pool asking if people are scared of water.

Totally agree with this, probbaly should have gone and took the survey in a better place.
A street for example?.

A million dollars well spent.

Tyrphanax:
I, for one, am shocked.

Really? I don't find it surprising at all. Even most hardcore jocks I know play games, albeit they're either games for jocks (Madden NFL and the like) or sometimes Halo, but still.

Hell, even my married-with-three-kids cousin only recently stopped playing WoW.

Tyrphanax:
I, for one, am shocked.

Uploading high five.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook