Silent Hill 5 Producer Says Japan Developers Lagging Behind The West

The producer of Silent Hill 5 says Western technological capabilities are leaving Japanese game developers behind.

QJ.net has reported on a Game Developer magazine interview with Akira Yamaoka, in which he said that Western development techniques are more advanced that those in Japan. The comments came following his experience with California-based studio The Collective, which was responsible for the development of Silent Hill 5.

"They're very advanced," Yamaoka said when asked about working with a non-Japanese team. "There are of course advantages and disadvantages, but overall, I'm really impressed with the American staff and their technology. Their graphical and technical ability is amazing. There's a huge leap, actually."

"I look at what American developers are doing and I think wow... Japan is in trouble," he said.

Published by Konami, Silent Hill 5 is currently in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and is scheduled for a 2008 release.

They just have to focus on their core selling-points which are... anime girls essentially : /

That and bad jokes and storytelling.

i love how wrong this entire article really is.

Not to mention how much of a flop SH:H was, a fine reason why Japanese franchises should never be put in American developers hands.

Dectilon:
They just have to focus on their core selling-points which are... anime girls essentially : /

That and bad jokes and storytelling.

Funny that you should say that, because Silent Hill 2 has a remarkable story.

You know what they say: American games are from America, Japanese games are from Mars....................waitaminute....................

Malygris:

The producer of Silent Hill 5 says Western technological capabilities are leaving Japanese game developers behind.

QJ.net has reported on a Game Developer magazine interview with Akira Yamaoka, in which he said that Western development techniques are more advanced that those in Japan. The comments came following his experience with California-based studio The Collective, which was responsible for the development of Silent Hill 5.

"They're very advanced," Yamaoka said when asked about working with a non-Japanese team. "There are of course advantages and disadvantages, but overall, I'm really impressed with the American staff and their technology. Their graphical and technical ability is amazing. There's a huge leap, actually."

"I look at what American developers are doing and I think wow... Japan is in trouble," he said.

Published by Konami, Silent Hill 5 is currently in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, and is scheduled for a 2008 release.

BWAHAHAHAHA! They produced Silent Hill 5, which turned out to be a complete flop, and now they have the gall to accuse Japan of lagging behind? I may be completely misinterpreting this article, but if I'm not, isn't this a little hypocritical?

The_Oracle:

Malygris:

BWAHAHAHAHA! They produced Silent Hill 5, which turned out to be a complete flop, and now they have the gall to accuse Japan of lagging behind? I may be completely misinterpreting this article, but if I'm not, isn't this a little hypocritical?

The quote was not about successful games or not, merely that American developers are working with better technology and a better technical understanding of the process of making games.

Because what makes a good game is subjective.

I think Silent Hill: Homecoming and Silent Hill 5 are two different games.

Not quite sure what to make of this, really. I guess that it's just a neat compliment to the Western devs.

Japan is just lulling America into a false sense of security...WW2 anyone?

America may utilize the tools better because the American consumer constantly demands a game changing concept, but there is no way in hell America is more technologically advanced than Japan. It's impossible.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here