Activision Announces Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

Activision Announces Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, the newest addition to Activision's hit franchise, is currently under development and scheduled for release in June, the company announced today.

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith will put players in the shoes of guitarists Joe Perry and Brad Whitford or bassist Tom Hamilton as they rock out across the entirety of the band's career, from their debut gig to their ascendance to the top. The game will include dozens of Aerosmith's biggest hits as well as tracks from related artists and venues from some of the band's biggest shows.

"Any band that can go from "Don't Want to Miss A Thing" to the ass-kicking "Sweet Emotion" to the cheekiness of "Love in an Elevator" to the classic ballad "Dream On" shows why Activision chose us to headline this game based on the diversity of the Aerosmith catalog," said band frontman Steven Tyler. "Not only is songwriting a bitch, but then it goes and has puppies."

"Having a game built around Aerosmith has been a huge honor and a really great experience for us. We've put a lot of ideas into the game so that fans can have fun interacting with our music, getting inside our body of work and learning about the band's history," guitarist Joe Perry added, somewhat more coherently. "It's great for rock since the record companies are struggling to make sense of how things are changing. Fans want to get and experience music in new formats - and there are going to be some of them who will play the game, then pick up the guitar for real and start bands. It's what's happening now, and it's only going to build more momentum in the future. It's a massive change for the music business."

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith is currently in development for the Wii, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3. To celebrate the game's announcement, Activision is releasing the band's hit "Dream On" for Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock for free from February 16-18 over Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Store.

"We are extremely excited that Aerosmith chose to team up with Guitar Hero, bringing one of the world's all-time best-selling artists together with one of the biggest videogame brands, to deliver a new and unique interactive way for our customers to connect with artists and their music," said Red Octane head of publishing Dusty Welch. "This partnership will give Aerosmith, a band that has sold more than 150 million albums worldwide, a powerful and innovative platform to reach their fans and new audiences."

If they are smart they will allow it for download as well. I don't need 3 guitars...unless they have implemented that as well...hmmmmmm Lead, rhythm and base?

aaaahhhh..... well since GH3 was really lame and way overrated..... why not make another GH with a lame and overrated band..... then to followed by the Beatles and the Rolling Stones editions...

I demand this project be scrapped until they make a version of Guitar Hero dedicated to Ween. I NEED to play 'It's Gonna Be A Long Night' on a toy guitar.

Malygris:
"Any band that can go from "Don't Want to Miss A Thing" to the ass-kicking "Sweet Emotion" to the cheekiness of "Love in an Elevator" to the classic ballad "Dream On" shows why Activision chose us to headline this game based on the diversity of the Aerosmith catalog," said band frontman Steven Tyler. "Not only is songwriting a bitch, but then it goes and has puppies."

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Aerosmith bring in outside songwriters to give them material when their popularity started to dip in the 80s? Not the band (brand?) with the most integrity.

*EDIT

Having said that, Dream On is an awesome song

YAY another Guitar Hero after your done with an Aerosmith version MAKE A KISS version i mean Kiss has been in nearly every guitar Hero game

After this, activision will release Guitar hero: rolling stones, Guitar hero: beattles, Guitar Hero: eric clapton, fiddle hero: legends of country...
somebody smells the EA aroma? because I do.

I hate Aerosmith!!

Me too!!!

My first thought on this was: wouldn't it be more entertaining to bring a "Band" specific game to... Rock Band?

Off-Topic: Gisgo Elim, what is your avatar, and why does it appear to have the Thundercats symbol on it?

Jeez. Seriously? Is this for real? A 4th guitar hero game (including that 80's piece of trash) in 2.5 years ??? :|.

Anybody else start thinking that Activision is looking more like EA than EA is looking like EA these days? I mean, come on. Don't shove this down our throats. Think of what happened to Tony Hawk. Take more time and come out with a better game!

All those people saying stuff like "just slow down and make it a better game" etc. just think. How can it be made better? more songs, better songs, thats it. and activision or whoever it is now whos running GH will put any band who pays them the most money to be on, this is just a way to try and revive Aerosmiths career

and if theyre going to be making them at the rate of 4 in 2.5 years, they could at least make them affordable, not 30-40 a go, and more with the guitar

Oh man, this idea is just...horrible. The band is terrible, and the concept is even worse. Man I hope this is some sort of a joke.

How the hell can you hate Aerosmith? They are one of the most well known bands in the world and they didn't get that way because they suck. Who cares if they had song writers write them a couple tunes, almost everyone does that (and if you think they don't you need to ask someone very close to where you are sitting slap you in the back of the head for being ignorant). The only people I know that absolutely hate Aerosmith are people born after 1987 and those who only listen to death metal or techno...and even they respect Aerosmith.

Now, should they have their own Guitar Hero? Eh, I won't buy it but I would DL a bunch of their songs.

I never much cared for Aerosmith. Their recent material, say the last decade or so, has been particularly abominable.

Of all the bands they could have chosen... Aerosmith? Yuck.

I hope this is a bargain priced game because they're targeting a niche market... Aerosmith fans (and parents who think their kids like Aerosmith - wait, maybe they're targeting the parents?). I wouldn't mind seeing more Guitar Hero games focusing on specific bands or genres... as long as they are reasonably priced.

Echolocating:
I wouldn't mind seeing more Guitar Hero games focusing on specific bands or genres... as long as they are reasonably priced.

There's the key. I have no problem with new songs to play in Guitar Hero. That's the point, right? Songs! Yay! But I'd hate to have to shell out sixty bucks plus tax (up here in Canada, yay) for what's essentially an add-on.

Yay, 60$ bucks for an expansion pack to Simon.
Now, I'm a big Metal fan, but I loves me some Aerosmith. Didn't think they were getting enough attention from Guitar Hero; BUT THIS!?
Guitar Hero: Beetles Guitar Hero: Metallcia Guitar Hero: Megadeth (Admittedly not a bad idea, Dave is a guitar god.) Guitar Hero: Now it's a Banjo! Guitar Hero: Pro Skater Guitar Hero: Final Fantasy Tracks (Anyone who respodns to this is seriously lame and needs to consult the nearest woman.)
Sigh, we're not that far away at this point.

I don't plan on buying it, just like I don't plan on getting the 80's doodoo game either.

There is only one thing I care about...Dream On is coming for FREE tomorrow.

Edit: And I would totally buy Guitar Hero: The Black Mages Edition.

Aerosmith? I'd rather staple my own face shut, thanks.

I hate it when this happens game developers make a game that people actually liked then they rape it to death (Guitar hero Rockin the 80s,Guitar Hero Legends Of Rock etc.) This Happens all the time with good movies

Okay, I officially Don't Get all the hating.

I saw this coming with the very first Guitar Hero, as well as genre versions, Blues and C&W, frex.

Sure, Aerosmith may not be your bag of tea, but the reason they were chosen is that they have a long enough career, with a correspondingly large body of material from which to pull an appropriate progression of songs, they have a large enough audience base to guarantee sales, which a heavier, more metallic act might not be able to provide, and they're not so big as to be too expensive, as Kiss would probably prove to be.
They're just right for test marketing a single band edition of GH. Not my bag of tea, either, though. I'm holding out for Tap.

As far as complaints that it's only more of the same...well, yes. If there's one thing people want from music games, it's the music they like. There really isn't anything to add to the core gameplay of GH(*), and in point of fact, GH is only slightly different from Frequency and Amplitude, Harmonix' first two PS2 games. The assertion is that GH and GH2 are only good with the original songs they came with, and new playlists need not apply, and I call BS.

*: There is at least one innovation waiting in the wings, but neither Harmonix nor Activision are the companies to bring it...now that we have a mechanic and controller for guitar play, that mechanic now needs to be integrated into a narrative game, maybe, say, Crossroads frex, or Tenacious D: the Pick of Destiny, or Six String Samurai, or something wholly original. Maybe the makers of Patapon would make a PS2 game that takes advantage of the guitar controller...

What i think Activision should do is wait Vivendi to buy them and by doing that getting acces to Universal music. They should sell "song packs" online for a reasonable price (8$ 15 songs?).

sammyfreak:
What i think Activision should do is wait Vivendi to buy them and by doing that getting acces to Universal music. They should sell "song packs" online for a reasonable price (8$ 15 songs?).

Nice.

Or what they could do, and we know they never will, is put in a upload/download feature where you can make your own.

Not that anyone has added the Power Rangers theme to Guitar Hero anywhere, especially not on Youtube, no no no.

There's always Frets on Fire...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here