id Confirms Doom 4

id Confirms Doom 4

id Software has announced that work has begun on Doom 4, and they're looking for help in bringing it all to life.

The Doom developer is looking for "talented, ambitious and passionate" people to join the company and help develop its highly anticipated games. id currently has numerous positions posted on its Careers page in areas including art, animation, level design and more.

"Doom is part of the id Software DNA and demands the greatest talent and brightest minds in the industry to bring the next installment of our flagship franchise to Earth," id CEO Todd Hollenshead wrote in a message on the company's website. "It's critical for id Software to have the best creative minds in-house to develop games that meet the standards synonymous with our titles."

Unleashed in 1993, Doom revolutionized first-person gaming with its cutting-edge graphics, intense, highly-focused gameplay and support for networked multiplayer games. Doom 2 followed in 1994, but after the release of Final Doom in 1996 the franchise went dormant until the release of Doom 3 in 2004, which despite its name was an updated re-telling of the original story.

As much as I'm going to enjoy Doom 4, I can't help but feel that the engine will be full of holes as per Doom 3

Saying that its always been id's purpose to move things forward in games so this is getting my thumbs up.

I seriously don't hope, that this will be in the vein of doom 3. The original doom and doom 2 were, in my opinion, far more fun than doom 3 was, mainly because doom 3 had you walking around i black corridors, with monsters jumping out of nowhere, in a rather weak attempt to scare you.

Doom remains as the most scary game to date in my book (with the possible exeption of Commander Keen 4, that dopefish still scares the living shit out of me), and certainlky also one of the best. Doom isn't about walking around in ruined facilities, with machineguns and grenades. It's about storming through hell, gunning down cacodemons and imps, with chainguns and and BFG's. And bring back the Spider Mastermind!

Scypemonk:
I seriously don't hope, that this will be in the vein of doom 3. The original doom and doom 2 were, in my opinion, far more fun than doom 3 was, mainly because doom 3 had you walking around i black corridors, with monsters jumping out of nowhere, in a rather weak attempt to scare you.

the darkness was overdone and yes there were no 'hordes' that we found in doom and doom 2 but it was essentially doom

doom 4 looks cool. i cant wait as doom 1 was my first fps and is m standard for all fps games. having a mac though means i don't play many computer based fps except halo combat evolved and call of duty 2. june 26th i think cod 4 comes out for mac if not its some time round then. back on topic i cant wait for another doom to come out especially as i could never find doom 3 for mac even though apple advertised it at every turn on their website. they never had it in apple stores.

cant wait for doom 4

Hhhhhels yeah boyeeeeee. I loves me some Doom.

I would like to be excited but tbh I think ID are dangerously close to beating a dead horse territory with this. Unless they try something totally unique with it, but im expecting more of the same boxed corridor FPS rigermarole

The challenge is a daunting one. How do you meld the feel of classic Doom with modern graphics? They failed miserably with Doom 3, though if you were able to trick yourself into thinking you weren't playing Doom, it was pretty good. Valve successfully transitioned Half Life into the modern age while maintaining the feel of the original. This is ID's principle challenge, hopefully they are up to it.

Hell yeah! *runs around screaming with my pants off* sorry, little excited.

But what will the excuse for uninspired gameplay be this time around? Doom 3 already toted the rationalization that it was simply a re-imagining of the original. In reality the closet monsters and corridor crawling were signs of insipid design. How was it a re-imagining if it was the same thing as last time, but with better graphics?

I think most gamers' expectations have moved beyond shoot'em up simplicity - maybe not the teen Halo-playing crowd, but none of them were around for Doom anyway.

Maybe to try to appeal to new gamers, they'll go the Guitar Hero route. The fourth game will be IMPOSSIBLY HARD except to those who've been playing Doom for 10 or more years, such as my dad.

REDPill357:
Maybe to try to appeal to new gamers, they'll go the Guitar Hero route. The fourth game will be IMPOSSIBLY HARD except to those who've been playing Doom for 10 or more years, such as my dad.

Or you'll have to play guitar to kill the demons?

HalfShadow:

REDPill357:

Or you'll have to play guitar to kill the demons?

or use the guitar to bash demons?

So Doom with real time combo events? Don't be so mean to id, they're pretending to try.

Considering they were already borrowing heavily from 'System Shock 2' for delivering the story, they could actually have a plot that goes beyond generic invasion from alternate dimension. The theological implications of 'Doom' would be kinda interesting to dig into. If someone were to prove that Hell existed, it raises questions about whether Heaven does. The afterlife and dead souls suddenly being accessible would have a pretty intense effect on society.

There's potential there, but they'll have to invest in guts to make it happen.

L.B. Jeffries:
they could actually have a plot that goes beyond generic invasion from alternate dimension.

Doom was never meant to be about complex storylines. Its not HL, its Doom, its simple - speak with your gun and all that.

nightfish:

L.B. Jeffries:
they could actually have a plot that goes beyond generic invasion from alternate dimension.

Doom was never meant to be about complex storylines. Its not HL, its Doom, its simple - speak with your gun and all that.

Yeah, but it looked like in 3 they were going for something with a bit more mood and tension. I dunno...it seems like there are already a ton of purist FPS games (no plot, just multi-player). They might as well opt for something new.

nightfish:

L.B. Jeffries:

I'm not opposed to Doom 4 having a story. A good story can't make a bad game... but the gameplay can.

Whether they plan on continuing from where they let off in Doom 3 or by starting something new doesn't matter to me. What does matter is capturing the essence of the original games. Fast paced and bloody action, and fighting hordes of demons. But of course, a run and gun game may not be good enough for people nowadays.... everyone wants their dumb vehicles and all that Halo garbage.

I think what was really disappointing about Doom 3 (though I still like it) was the slow pace, and the lack of demon fighting.... NOT the dark atmosphere. We also need a longer... crazier hell sequence.

Worr Monger:

I think what was really disappointing about Doom 3 (though I still like it) was the slow pace, and the lack of demon fighting.... NOT the dark atmosphere.

problem here was that my PC struggled with some sequences in Doom 3 - more enemies would have meant a lot higher minimum requirements.

nightfish:

problem here was that my PC struggled with some sequences in Doom 3 - more enemies would have meant a lot higher minimum requirements.

Can't disagree with that... I was happy with my Medium settings at the time. It is definitely a challenge getting a large amount of enemies on screen as in the originals.

But again... it doesn't need to be exactly like the originals. I'm sure there is some way to increase the intensity of the action to create a more traditional Doom feel. A lot of people didn't care much for Quake 4, but I felt that it was much more intense than Doom 3... So I think there are ways around it.

Serious Sam was able to have a couple hundred monsters on the screen at a time. I think if anyone can optimize a game to run with huge numbers of entities, it's Carmack.

The last "purist" FPS I can think of that had a good singleplayer mode was Serious Sam. Lots of enemy types (none of this same-kind-different-weapon nonsense). The problem was a lack of gore. Sure, there was some blood, but it looked fake and cartoony (except for hippie blood, which was awesome). A bit more blood and realism would make it better.

Dang, now I want "hippie blood" in Doom 4.

REDPill357:
Serious Sam was able to have a couple hundred monsters on the screen at a time. I think if anyone can optimize a game to run with huge numbers of entities, it's Carmack.

The last "purist" FPS I can think of that had a good singleplayer mode was Serious Sam. Lots of enemy types (none of this same-kind-different-weapon nonsense). The problem was a lack of gore. Sure, there was some blood, but it looked fake and cartoony (except for hippie blood, which was awesome). A bit more blood and realism would make it better.

Dang, now I want "hippie blood" in Doom 4.

You want more realism in Serious Sam? What would that entail? Enemies with no heads and bombs for hands stopping for a moment to reflect on their personal motivation for wanting to kill you? Its absurdity is what makes Serious Sam great!

Oddly enough.... I think I was slightly disappointed with Doom 3 because of all the years of hype....

..Not to mention I had played the Alpha a while before it was released... and it was strangely scarier than the final version. I was disappointed with some of the cool things that they took out of the final version.

Hell.. I couldn't believe they took out the whole pinky bathroom scene... not that it was terribly important, but it was one of the first big Doom 3 video previews.

The Alpha seemed to have more creative methods of making the game scary than the final version. It didn't rely on monster closets.

REDPill357:
The last "purist" FPS I can think of that had a good singleplayer mode was Serious Sam.

You played Serious Sam single player?

*facepalm*

Worr Monger:
Oddly enough.... I think I was slightly disappointed with Doom 3 because of all the years of hype....

Some of the set pieces were out of date to.

I remember walking into a dark room with a light shining onto a chaingun in the centre. I thought to myself - "I bet anything that as soon as I touch that demons are going to come out the walls" and what happened....

REDPill357:
The last "purist" FPS I can think of that had a good singleplayer mode was Serious Sam.

Try Painkiller.

Doom could succeed as a straight-up FPS for the current generation (ie., you damn kids) but in order for that to happen Carmack and co. need to turn their attention away from creating the latest super-hot-cutting-edge-megatexture-OMG technological marvels and turn it instead toward gameplay. What would you prefer: A game that looks even better than Crysis (as long as you're running it on a top-end machine) and has the half-assed gameplay of Doom 3, or something with Doom 3-era visuals that rocks your shit like... well, like Doom?

WEEEE Another FPS!!!

laikenf:
WEEEE Another FPS!!!

weee FPS = best genre evar

Starship Troopers moment with a plasma gun and a swarm of pinkies.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here