Take-Two Signs BioShock Movie Deal

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Take-Two Signs BioShock Movie Deal

Take-Two Interactive is getting into the movie business with a big-screen adaptation of BioShock, with Pirates of the Caribbean director Gore Verbinski at the helm.

Universal Studios has signed a deal that will see Take-Two receive a "multimillion-dollar" advance on the film, according to a Variety report, in what is thought to be the biggest videogame-movie deal since the 2005 deal between Universal, Fox and Microsoft for the movie adaptation of Halo. But Take-Two Chairman Strauss Zelnick said the deal is structured to ensure the movie actually gets made, unlike the Halo project which is currently stuck in limbo.

Zelnick also put his experience as a past president of Fox to negotiate the deal directly, rather than use a producer. "One of the things we decided early on is that we didn't want to go through a producer," Zelnick said. "It's terribly important to us to have a meaningful influence on how this project is produced. We didn't want any insulation between us."

The script is being handled by John Logan, whose previous projects include Gladiator, The Last Samurai and The Aviator. Verbinski expressed particular enthusiasm for the game's potential as a movie adaptation, and said he hoped to begin preproduction on the movie as soon as the script is ready. "I think the whole utopia-gone-wrong story that's cleverly unveiled to players is just brimming with cinematic potential," he said. "Of all the games I've played, this is one that I felt has a really strong narrative."

Despite the strength of cinematic franchises like Grand Theft Auto and Manhunt , BioShock is Take-Two's first-ever movie deal. No release schedule has been announced, although it will be "almost certainly" sometime after the launch of the BioShock sequel, currently slated for 2009.

Would they kindly take as long as they need to to make it good?

Hm. This makes movies look like a wank-off, really, they keep deriving from books and games. Do they ever make anything on their own? They rip off themepark-rides, even.

This story has already got a good reception mainly in another thread. I think its going to be quite quirky with Verbinski in charge.

Jeroen Stout:
Hm. This makes movies look like a wank-off, really, they keep deriving from books and games. Do they ever make anything on their own? They rip off themepark-rides, even.

Hey, POTC was good. Haunted Mansion...not so much.

When movies are announced based on games I usually cringe, but with an unusually good team behind it and the amazing story behind Bioshock, I think they might actually pull it off..

This should hopefully not suck. There's definetly potental. I wonder if it will be pre, or post, or during the break down... I'm hoping during the break down to give you some more background. Maybe it'll follow atlas up until he finds the player?

Galaxy613:
This should hopefully not suck. There's definetly potental. I wonder if it will be pre, or post, or during the break down... I'm hoping during the break down to give you some more background. Maybe it'll follow atlas up until he finds the player?

I'm pretty sure it will be based on the game's plot,not a pre- or post- or something like that.

Well, I'm not having to much hopes for this. Movie based of games, intend to get fucked up and shitty, and with all the movies that have bein mayed so far (Except for Silent Hill wich was pretty sweet actually), I dought that Bioshock movie will be any different, they'll probably re-write the story, and cut out some of the charachters, plus adding some kind of girl that the main heroe will have to save and shit

Well, at least it's not going to be by Uwe Boll, that's a good start. Now if they can just avoid casting The Rock in it, we might be able to get a movie that's watchable.

Of course, my taste in movies is such that I enjoy a "good" B movie, so maybe I'll find it easier to like than the average person.

might be okay i guess. At least its not a long running series of games like Halo or Zelda. Somehow theres less to spoil in a bioshock movie.

cautious optimism from me at least. Would like to see it set during the events prior to the game, before the shit hit the fan so to speak. Lots of potentially cinematic politics between ryan and fontaine etc etc.

I can see it now, opening credits start with the voices of Fontaine and Ryan swaying the public in each of their favors, then bam! Everything starts going wrong. Maybe you hear a baby crying? A drill? The sounds fade out, and the starting scene opens with the main character on the plain. Damn, I can't wait.

Well, as long as they don't go for a straight adaption. They'll need to find ways of getting more characters involved but if they nail the visual style and turn it into something believable for the screen, it could be great.

I can hear Uwe Boll crying because of this. But it's not enough. I want to hear him scream.

The day after my birthday, in which Bioshock was a present, they announce the movie.

Hope that it's good, and goes for the morality/philosophy without being to cheesy.

Isn't making a movie, (essentially a narrative) of bioshock a bit redundant? The story's already there, the atmosphere, and moral choices, they have everything but a protagonist that, you know. . .TALKS.

I think this is fantastic.
The guy wrote The Aviator for christ's sake, I'm sure this will be good.
At least somewhat. Which would be enough for me to see it.

Shiny.

However, it might be a bit difficult to make it without the film seeming rushed. However, maybe it's a pre/sequel or something.

*deep breath*

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ten bucks says the main character has both a name and dialogue and the movie bombs.

Dr. Evil:
I can hear Uwe Boll crying because of this. But it's not enough. I want to hear him scream.

You mean you didn't hear him scream when Stride gum announced that if you sign that petition you'll get a free pack?

The talent looks good so far. Like mentioned above: as long as they avoid sticking The Rock or Vin Diesel in the lead, it might have a chance. Hopefully they can get a few people who are both stars AND actors.

This is the best chance the world has of making a decent video game movie adaptation. If this isn't entertaining as well as a good film by film standards, then there is no hope.

*sigh*

The best, and most interesting way to make this movie would be to concentrate on the rise and fall of Rapture. More of a drama than an action movie. If they don't do something like that then I predict AvP-levels of stupidity ~~

thebobmaster:

Jeroen Stout:

Hey now, I liked Haunted Mansion.

TheNecroswanson:
*deep breath*

Ten bucks says the main character has both a name and dialogue and the movie bombs.

Er, the character had a name in the game.

Wasn't his name Jack?

TheNecroswanson:
Wasn't his name Jack?

You also forgot his one line in the intro.

Jack: People said 'jack you were special' - ya know what..they were right *splode*

I'm sure Jack's voice actor left the studio with huge bags with dollar signs printed on them.

eggdog14:
Isn't making a movie, (essentially a narrative) of bioshock a bit redundant? The story's already there, the atmosphere, and moral choices, they have everything but a protagonist that, you know. . .TALKS.

True. Why does everyone get so excited when VG movies are mentioned? Behind all the hyperbole, this Bioshock movie will boil down to a crude retelling of the original story, with all the interactivity cut out. Games don't need movies. The two mediums are becoming so similar that a Bioshock movie really is quite redundant.

TheNecroswanson:
*deep breath*

dont be so quick to judge this

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

True. Why does everyone get so excited when VG movies are mentioned? Behind all the hyperbole, this Bioshock movie will boil down to a crude retelling of the original story, with all the interactivity cut out. Games don't need movies. The two mediums are becoming so similar that a Bioshock movie really is quite redundant.

that's usually exactly what I think when movies are announced based on games, however I think it could become a good movie for the very reasons stated it has a great atmosphere, moral choices, dialogue which when in a book can make a great movie (LOTR for eg) and I hope it could be the same for games since so far all the movies based on games, are based on games that are as deep as rainpuddles. You are right though if it ends up being a retelling of the original story it would be rather pointless however if it was as others have suggested a prequel, ti could be rather interesting, as there is enough background information in the game to give the film a pretty good story, however not so much that it could have quite a lot of artistic deviation.

nightfish:

TheNecroswanson:
*deep breath*

dont be so quick to judge this

Why not? There have been 0 good video game to movie adaptations. Why should this one be any different? Oh, because the queer, (Swear there's something wrong with that guy) who did Pirates is directing it? So what? Those movies blew hardcore. All that tells me is the movie will still suck, but alot of people will go see it.

I'm surprised that no one else has mentioned the plot... if they go for a straight adaptation, the "twist" will totally fall flat due to the nature of the medium. What made the game such a damn masterpiece will lack any resonance on screen. If they perhaps look at the fall of Rapture, though, it could be interesting.

BTW, interesting connection. If the main character is

i think bioshock would make a great movie. especially if they play it from the first-person perspective. i mean the trailer for bioshock that was cinematic and first-person was incredible. if they can change the ending (lets be frank it was terrible but i suppose they couldnt really take it anywhere else) then it should be great.

Im not too optimistic about this, would be a Difficult task to convert Bioshock into a movie.

Still, I didn't mind Final Fantasy or Hitman....... Sorta.

TomNook:

thebobmaster:

Jeroen Stout:

Hey now, I liked Haunted Mansion.

................ I hope never to hear those words Again.

I've only played a little bit of Bioshock but aren't there two different takes on the main character depending on what on whether the player saves or harvests?

If they turn this into a more highbrow, art, action, movie like Children of Men then this will be good. If they go B movie expect another Resident Evil.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54301)