Call of Duty 4 PC Multiplayer Wide Open to Cheaters

Call of Duty 4 PC Multiplayer Wide Open to Cheaters

The PC version of Call of Duty 4 is easily susceptible to game-breaking exploits, its developer confirmed.

An Infinity Ward community forum moderator acknowledged the existence of a multiplayer exploit in a posting earlier this week.

The exploit allows any individual player to enter any available cheat through a console command, "sv_cheats," lending an overwhelming advantage against other players.

Some of the cheats include enabling a third-person view, seeing all players on the map, and choosing any weapons configuration.

A temporary solution involves manually entering values into PunkBuster, but the developer is working on a patch to correct the issue.

Source: Infinityward.com

...you mean 6 months after the game was released!? That's some great customer service they've got here.

btw: sv_cheats? I knew it! CoD4 is running on an overclocked Source Engine!

Haha, yeah first thought was "Source" when I read "sv_cheats" Hahahaha...

JakubK666:
...you mean 6 months after the game was released!? That's some great customer service they've got here.

btw: sv_cheats? I knew it! CoD4 is running on an overclocked Source Engine!

I noticed this on the server I run for my group. Best thing to do was just ban the jerk then make a post on the IW forums, and wait for a patch to fix it.

Oh and its not a source engine. The Quake 3 engine used many of the same CVARs and Commands. COD4 is a IW rebuilt Quake 3 engine. Thats why there were "Hax" out for the PC version within 2 days of its release. Same base code as COD2.

well its interesting news to say the least, but this is really one of the things u think someone would have picked up on a little earlier.....

Hmm, never seen anyone cheat though, shouldn't Punkbuster we able to detect this sortof thing?

Cheats? On a PC game?

SOMEONE CALL THE PRESSES QUICK! THIS IS BREAKING AND URGENT NEWS!

Joeshie:
Cheats? On a PC game?

SOMEONE CALL THE PRESSES QUICK! THIS IS BREAKING AND URGENT NEWS!

Says the man replying to a newspost...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here