Escapist Crew Wows Webby Crowd

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Escapist Crew Wows Webby Crowd

The Escapist team was at its most glamorous and witty as it wowed the crowd at the 12th Annual Webby Awards in New York City earlier this week.

Escapist CEO Alexander Macris made the best of the ceremony's five-word limit on acceptance speeches when he wittily (and accurately) said, "Escapist magazine. We have issues." We're not the only ones who considered him clever - The Times Union noted his speech as one of its favorites of the evening.

The Escapist was honored twice, for both the Webby Award and the People's Voice Award in the category of Game-Related Website.

Hailed as the "Oscars of the Internet" by the New York Times, The Webby Awards is the leading international award honoring excellence on the Internet, including Websites, Interactive Advertising, Online Film & Video, and Mobile Websites.

(Pictured left to right: Mike Capps, Julianne Greer, Russ Pitts, Tom Kurz, Boardie Kurz, Alex Macris, Sara Fields, Newton Grant, Jon Hayter)

Again, well done indeed, folks at Escapist HQ. And kudos to Mr Macris for his wit.

good stuff. I'd like to see some of the other 5 word speeches.

Very cool. You're quite the dapper group at The Escapist.

tendo82:
Very cool. You're quite the dapper group at The Escapist.

Dapper...that's us. :)

Cool, you guys deserve it. Interesting to see what you look like too.

What, where's Mr Croshaw?

Did he fly back to Oz early? Or is he just off camera tied into a Hannibal Lecter style trolley?

Congratulations to you all.

UpInSmoke:
good stuff. I'd like to see some of the other 5 word speeches.

Roam around the web, there's lots of coverage of this year's Webbies and many of them cover at least some of the speeches. My personal favourite, before reading The Escapist's, was Stephen Colbert's, "Me. Me. Me. Me. Me."

-- Steve

fix-the-spade:

He's the one in the red dress.

The_root_of_all_evil:

fix-the-spade:

Heeeyyyyy! That's me. Ease off. Yahtzee's time table was all off kilter and he hadn't gotten to the awards show yet at the time this pic was snapped.

So cool, you went for the awards and missed putting content on the site...

Hmmm? I'm not sure I follow you...

Andraste:

The_root_of_all_evil:

fix-the-spade:

Heeeyyyyy! That's me. Ease off. Yahtzee's time table was all off kilter and he hadn't gotten to the awards show yet at the time this pic was snapped.

Hehe...my plan worked...now we have your name and your avatar matched! Soon we will rule the world!!

(I guessed it wasn't him due to the names beside the pictures, and I'm fully expecting a kicking coming back at us from Mr. Croshaw on the next ZP; something along the lines of "Well, I didn't do a ZP last week, and to all of you complaining, FUCK YOU!".
It wouldn't be Yahtzee otherwise.

Gratz on the award though. Did you bring us back a doggy bag? :) )

Wow, Russ seems really into it. Congrats guys.

EDIT: TOTALLY forgot I posted on this earlier. Silly me...

Well done Escapist.

Well played Escapist, well played

Good show to all of you ^_^

This is an awesome site. It's been said over and over, but allow me to elaborate from my own experiences:

The forums are interesting (in addition to the different personalities, who happen to be more intelligent and treasure a balance in grammar and bravado (seriously, many of the other sites have people who sound like they're children or retarded, with lack of capitals, broken words, and phrases like 'l337', 'ZOMFG', and other abominations)).

The articles are well-written, relevant, and showcase a level of balls (in the case of the females, guts, for obvious reasons) from the persons writing them (some of my favorites were the interview with CliffyB and discussing Grand Theft Childhood).

The visual presentation is top-notch yet mellow and subtle in its minor touches, and who would dare to omit: original installments, such as the consistent, heady, rip-roaring, avant-garde critiques of Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw in Zero Punctuation, the postmodern, tongue-in-cheek fantasy comedy in Unforgotten Realms, and the promising, critically-acclaimed web series in Drawn by Pain.

All in all, bravo and have yourselves a jolly good time! Keep up the great stuff and best of luck in the future.

Andraste:

The_root_of_all_evil:

fix-the-spade:

A combination of jet lag and drunkeness I assume?

Anyhow, congrats and keep up the good work.

I hope you all had fun.

nightfish:

Wow, a week without Zero Punctuation makes some people really bitter.

Russ reminds me of Tim Nordwind of Ok Go fame. That's a positive thing, by the way.

Glad to see you guys all enjoyed yourselves. The Escapist really deserved those rewards, and I think we're all proud of you.

Theres some rather attractive females working for this site... O_o

nilcypher:

nightfish:

Wow, a week without Zero Punctuation makes some people really bitter.

Some people drink, others listen to a fast-talking misanthrope.

Onyer, Escapistians.

Escapists, you guys deserve it! Your site is one of the best on the 'net!

Congrats on winning, but please get Yachtzee back to doing his thing before heads start rolling and the sawed-off shotguns come out.

Damn you reply button, damn you.

Theres some rather attractive females working for this site... O_o

I like the way you put that. xD

Anyway. Congratualations Escapist staff, you must have worked ruddy hard to get to this point and I applaude you (Seriously, I'm glad you won the awards).

Bravo to all the folks at The Escapist...keep up the great work!

Congrats guys, you definitely deserve the honor. You all look pretty snazzy too.

Susan Arendt:

(Pictured left to right: Mike Capps, Julianne Greer, Russ Pitts, Tom Kurz, Boardie Kurz, Alex Macris, Sara Fields, Newton Grant, Jon Hayter)

They leave you behind or something? How cruel.

Easykill:

Susan Arendt:

hahha that would be cruel, but maybe some didnt show in the pic

Congratulations, Escapist; I knew you were meant for great things.

Tonight: The Webbies, tomorrow: The World!

Very nicely done guys, congratulations on the award. Loved the 5 words maximum on the speeches. If only the Oscars, Golden Globes, etc. would impose something like that. They'd have to work towards it though, starting at a 5 minute maximum then working back from there.

riftinducer:
Very nicely done guys, congratulations on the award. Loved the 5 words maximum on the speeches. If only the Oscars, Golden Globes, etc. would impose something like that. They'd have to work towards it though, starting at a 5 minute maximum then working back from there.

Can you imagine most Hollywood Starlet's 5 word speaches?

"Like, um, oh my Gaaaaaarrd..."

Pebsy:

Easykill:

Susan Arendt:

hahha that would be cruel, but maybe some didnt show in the pic

Not everyone was invited to attend. Also, not everyone in the picture is actually Escapist staff. Mike Capps, for example, is some sort of machinist. Makes gears, or so I'm told.

Will we get to hear the motivation for your well deserved victory?

Wow, Russ seems really into it.

They were serving the good scotch. :)

Also, it was a damn fine party. Also, also, it was incredibly good and wonderful to finally see The Escapist earn recognition for the hard work we've put into it week after week for the past few years. We've been working toward this for a long time, and it was an honor and a privilege to be recognized.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here