No GTA Movie? Here's Why

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No GTA Movie? Here's Why

Grand Theft Auto fans puzzled by the ongoing lack of a GTA movie announcement despite the growing popularity of crossover projects have been given some clarification via a report claiming the publisher doesn't have the legal right to make the film.

Despite the unprecedented popularity of Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto franchise, including the recently-released hit Grand Theft Auto IV, publisher Take-Two is legally barred from making a film of the same name. While the videogame series is ubiquitious, a report on Nikki Finke's Deadline Hollywood Daily blog points out that in 1977, Ron Howard, better known in those days as Richie Cunningham, wrote, starred in and made his directorial debut with a Roger Corman flick also called Grand Theft Auto.

According to a "studio insider" quoted by Finke, Fox still owns the rights to the movie, but has no particular plans for it. "Yes, it has been one of 400 development projects for several years," the insider said. "But they are nowhere on the script. It has certainly not been a front-burner project." Meanwhile, a legal settlement over the use of the name apparently prevents Rockstar and Take-Two from making a Grand Theft Auto movie, while Fox and other principals on the 1977 film can't make a videogame adaptation of the movie.

Finke also points out the strangeness of Fox's lack of interest in pursuing a deal to make a movie based on the game. Take-Two recently signed a deal with Universal Studios to bring the 2007 hit FPS BioShock to the big screen, but similar action with GTA has never been publicly considered, despite its runaway popularity.

One possibility is that the disinterest in adapting the property lies not with Fox but with Take-Two: The first-week sales total of Grand Theft Auto IV destroyed similar marks set by major movie releases including the Harry Potter movies and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, and there may be a reluctance to dilute the brand, either through overexposure or by softening of the game's content to accommodate the under-18 audience.

Could they not just release it under the acronym? GTA? I mean, when someone says AVP everybody knows they're talking about Alien vs Predator. If you say GTA, the person you're talking to is going to know you're talking about Grand Theft Auto.

And the AVP movies were released under the acronym...weren't they?

We're going about this all wrong, let's get Ron Howard to make the GTA film with the Happy Days gang.

GTA 5 : Fonz's Return

Eyyyyyyyy!

I must admit I once thought the GTA games might be based on that movie, then I read the back of the movie box & realised that no, they dont :-D. Ah well GTA games are pretty much interactive movies in themselves so dont really see the need for a film; Specially when GTA plotlines tend to be taken from films :-D

I actually have that movie and while it's quirkly amusing (something like Ferris Bueller's Day Off with the Blues Brothers), it's not in the same vein as the game.

Of course there's nothing to stop them making it into a TV series; it could be the next Sopranos

Last paragraph is right on target. Has anyone from Take2 or Rockstar ever said they were even interested in a GTA movie?

You are all missing the point. Anything that keeps another video game from being translated into a terrible film is a great thing. Games simply do not make good movies. If anyone can site a single example of a single film based on a game that wasn't a crime against humanity, please do...

...I know an impossible task.

snuffler:

Actually their proper titles are
AvP: Alien vs Predator
and
AvPR: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem

so, yes and no.

Luthorcrow:
You are all missing the point. Anything that keeps another video game from being translated into a terrible film is a great thing. Games simply do not make good movies. If anyone can site a single example of a single film based on a game that wasn't a crime against humanity, please do...

Umm, Resident Evil? Not especially good but not that bad. But you overlook the reason video game movies are bad. It's because their either slopily made in an attempt to cash in on an increasingly large demographic or were made by Uwe Bol.

There is no reason to make a GTA movie. If there's no "why" then we don't need a "why not".

Luthorcrow:

The first Mortal Kombat movie. Cool Fights, decent special effects, ok actors, and a story that was not all that bad considering the source material

Which surely amounts to good news? I can't think of anything worse than yet another video game being made into a movie.....

Also, Luthorcrow; what about the Final Fantasy VII movie? That's the best one that I can think of....

UpInSmoke:
There is no reason to make a GTA movie. If there's no "why" then we don't need a "why not".

/agree

Given the fact that GTA is effectively an amalgamation of every modern-day cop and gangster movie ever made, what's the point?

There is actually a movie called grand theft auto, but its not based on the game. I saw in it in this video shop.

I don't know how having sex with a hooker to heal your wounds would translate on film.... Hmmm.

rayman 101:
There is actually a movie called grand theft auto, but its not based on the game. I saw in it in this video shop.

Is this a joke?

Depending on how much depth you go into a GTA game can last over 100 hours, don't know how that would translate to the big screen.

MrGFunk:

rayman 101:

Is this a joke?

Depending on how much depth you go into a GTA game can last over 100 hours, don't know how that would translate to the big screen.

No it's not a joke and I wasn't implying that the film was based off the video-game. If you don't believe me here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(film)

PsiMatrix:
Of course there's nothing to stop them making it into a TV series; it could be the next Sopranos

That's a great point, I think a TV series would have a lot of potential. Having fully developed story arcs and truly defined characters over a series of episodes would be far more interesting than a 2 hour movie. Obviously doing it right would take more time and effort than a throwaway popcorn flick, but I think GTA is one of the few licences that TV execs would take the chance on.

Monshroud:
I don't know how having sex with a hooker to heal your wounds would translate on film.... Hmmm.

That'd be funny to see how they put that in.

snuffler:
Could they not just release it under the acronym? GTA? I mean, when someone says AVP everybody knows they're talking about Alien vs Predator. If you say GTA, the person you're talking to is going to know you're talking about Grand Theft Auto.

It might confuse those of us who live in the Greater Toronto Area.

Damn you Ron Howard! You foil me again!

well they wouldn't have made any annoncements about the Vice city, since thats based off scarface. I just don't think a movie would be any good.

rayman 101:

MrGFunk:

rayman 101:

Is this a joke?

No it's not a joke and I wasn't implying that the film was based off the video-game. If you don't believe me here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_(film)

Are you seriously not joking?
If you're not, just have a quick glance at the top of the thread.

On topic: while I've never played a GTA game, I can see how it would have the potential to make a good film.

I bet its really because certain people are afraid that the terrible disparity between whats acceptable in film and whats acceptable in game will be shown in even more of an obvious manner. I mean, weve got films were aliens massacre wards of pregnant women, and aliens burst through young boys chests that go by without a whisper, yet were still shooting at invincible children in games because if you were to kill them it would be "too sick and awful".

Having a film about some demi-god criminal going on rampages gunning down hundreds of cops and civilians alike being watched at the cinema without any objection might throw a wrench in the works when its time to crucify the game version that spawned it.

Or maybe not.

The Shade:

Toronto doesn't count. It smells like garbage there.

snuffler:

The Shade:

Toronto doesn't count. It smells like garbage there.

Well, at the moment it does. Bloody garbage strike... Coulda picked a better time than during the summer heat.

Screw GTA, lets make a movie called Vice City. Anyone have Uwe Boll's number?

Doubt that is the problem, you dont need to use the same name, they can just call it GTA- oh yay or something. I think the problem is you cant make a movie out of a game where you go around mutilating people, stealing hundreds of cars, kill a thousand cops and kill hoes. Let alone GTA 4 which is like a "big book of cliches" aka eastern european person wants to find a better life in the USA cause its the best place in the world, he gets screwed and climbs the top by killing lots of people and stealing lots of cars,i doubt a lot of peeps would watch it

The Shade:
Well, at the moment it does. Bloody garbage strike... Coulda picked a better time than during the summer heat.

see what I wonder about is, did they take their own garbage away? I mean why would you ever go on strike if you had a job that affected not only everyone else's life, but YOURS too? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Oh thank god. That means we can be spared of that monstrosity. I never thought I'd say this, but thank god for Ron Howard.

Oh please God no.
Movies based on videogames are just terrible.
Haven't we learned anything from Uwe Boll yet?

It shocks me when I look at how many of the replies to this topic were made over a year after this thread was posted.

Malicious:
Doubt that is the problem, you dont need to use the same name, they can just call it GTA- oh yay or something. I think the problem is you cant make a movie out of a game where you go around mutilating people, stealing hundreds of cars, kill a thousand cops and kill hoes. Let alone GTA 4 which is like a "big book of cliches" aka eastern european person wants to find a better life in the USA cause its the best place in the world, he gets screwed and climbs the top by killing lots of people and stealing lots of cars,i doubt a lot of peeps would watch it

Why not? Most of that is non-story anyways, and a movie would basically just be the story portion, and it doesnt get so bad, and plenty of movies have been worse.

snuffler:

The Shade:

see what I wonder about is, did they take their own garbage away? I mean why would you ever go on strike if you had a job that affected not only everyone else's life, but YOURS too? That just doesn't make sense to me.

Well, if you want more money...

I mean, yeah; your garbage is gonna pile up. But if you put up with it long enough, you get a pay raise!

The Shade:

Well, if you want more money...

I mean, yeah; your garbage is gonna pile up. But if you put up with it long enough, you get a pay raise!

A 1% pay raise? Maybe they should just film this GTA movie in the Greater Toronto Area. Then they'll HAVE to clean it up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here