Prince of Persia Creator Revives Karateka

Prince of Persia Creator Revives Karateka

Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner is going back to his roots with a follow-up to the 1984 title Karateka, the first videogame he ever made.

Mechner revealed the new game at the San Diego Comic-Con, according to a Gamasutra report, saying, "There actually is a plan to bring back Karateka. It' a project I'm going to be involved in. I can safely say it's not going to be in the way you expect." When asked if the project was a videogame, Mechner confirmed that it is.

Originally designed for the Apple II, Mechner developed and released Karateka while still a student at Yale University. The game earned instant acclaim for its smooth, flowing character animations, which represented a major step forward over previous efforts, and also paved the way for the creation of his 1989 hit Prince of Persia. A new Prince of Persia game was announced in April, as well as a Prince of Persia movie that's scheduled to begin shooting in 2009, and which will have its own entirely separate videogame adaption.

Consider me excited. Mechner has a Midas touch with games.

I wonder what kind of play style it will end up with.

Wii balance board compatible. Bets?

Since Karateka is essentially a Prince of Persia prototype, it doesn't make much sense to get more excited about a revival of that franchise than a new PoP title. But I am anyway.

It would seem that his games where before my time and I never got a chance to play them, but they bare legendary names and I look forward to modernised iterations.

Do yourself a favor, sammyfreak, and grab an emulator and the games (I recommend the Amiga versions).

While they may lack summat by modern standards, they're certainly a significant part of our roots.

Malygris:
as well as a Prince of Persia movie that's scheduled to begin shooting in 2009, and which will have its own entirely separate videogame adaption.

Prince of Persia: The Movie: The Video Game? I think my head just exploded

This looks interesting.

CarlosYenrac:

Malygris:
as well as a Prince of Persia movie that's scheduled to begin shooting in 2009, and which will have its own entirely separate videogame adaption.

Prince of Persia: The Movie: The Video Game? I think my head just exploded

As long as it's better then SF Movie game, I'm good.

I liked the Street Fighter movie for some of it's dialogue... and Bison.

"For you, the day M. Bison slaughtered your village was the day your entier life changed. For me... It was tuesday."

PS: For it's age, that Karateka game looks REALLY damn good graphically, looking at that screenshot. Was that out on the Nintendo, or are we seriously talking pre-nintendo stuff here?

If so, thats AMAZING.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here