Sony Wants You to Touch the Monkey

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Wants You to Touch the Monkey

Sony unveiled EyePet for the PlayStation 3, which lets you play with a tiny virtual monkey using the Eye camera, during the Games Convention in Leipzig. Touch him! Love him!

If you can tear your eyes away from the hyper-adorable, dragon-costume wearing monkey, consider the toy-drawing demonstration for a moment. Will it really work as smoothly as this video would have us believe? Probably not, but if it comes even close, it'll still be quite impressive.

I'm also mildly surprised that Sony went with a monkey, and not a more obvious choice like a puppy or kitten. Given the success of Nintendogs, and the lack of a decent cat counterpart, the appeal of a virtual kitten game seems obvious.

Susan Arendt:
Touch him! Love him!

If it works anything like that trailer, I'd be more than happy to.

Sony didn't need to ask me that.

Diogo Ribeiro:

Take it out of context, and it sounds like something you could probably be arrested for.

Touching the monkey looks like a lot of fun. Seriously!

My god. A Virtual Monkey. This could very well be the greatest concept in the history of man.

That actually does look really nice. Another of Sonys calming-but-fun games, like Afrika or Flower. If it works I'll need to get a Playstation Eye.

Hey Joe:
Touching the monkey looks like a lot of fun. Seriously!

Another thing that sounds dirty out of context.

Indigo_Dingo:

That actually does look really nice. Another of Sonys calming-but-fun games, like Afrika or Flower. If it works I'll need to get a Playstation Eye.

Two games I desperately want. I was also hoping that Shiki-Tei (the garden game) would get localized, but no such luck as of yet.

Liebe meine abst-monkey!

-- Alex

I'm impressed I must say. I think it'll be a great product.

looks nice.

Seems pretty awesome despite the extremely strange looking monkey. Then again, the whole thing seems more like an idea than an execution, as already mentioned about the toy concept.

Susan Arendt:

I'm also mildly surprised that Sony went with a monkey, and not a more obvious choice like a puppy or kitten. Given the success of Nintendogs, and the lack of a decent cat counterpart, the appeal of a virtual kitten game seems obvious.

Could it be because in Japanese/Asian culture the monkey holds a higher status than the cat?

There's a mythical monkey god, Monkey the TV series, Donkey Kong, the Chinese year of the Monkey. As far as I know there are no "kitten" equivalents, the only feline equilents are Tigers which are more ferocious than cute.

Maybe Sony are catering towards home market first, and even if there was a choice between kitten & monkey, they may have projected that overall sales would be less affected by giving the North American & European markets a monkey than by giving the Japanese & Asian markets a kitten.

After all you can't really go wrong with a cute monkey, no matter who you're selling it too.

If he's bad, do you spank him? :D

Thats actually pretty cool looking...
I would draw donkey kong and have them battle.

I will love him, and pet him, and call him George...

spank the monkey comes to PS3?

Johnn Johnston:

Diogo Ribeiro:

Take it out of context, and it sounds like something you could probably be arrested for.

Haha!! Don't tell anyone...

Neo pets anyone?

Jamash:

Could it be because in Japanese/Asian culture the monkey holds a higher status than the cat?

There's a mythical monkey god, Monkey the TV series, Donkey Kong, the Chinese year of the Monkey. As far as I know there are no "kitten" equivalents, the only feline equilents are Tigers which are more ferocious than cute.

Maybe Sony are catering towards home market first, and even if there was a choice between kitten & monkey, they may have projected that overall sales would be less affected by giving the North American & European markets a monkey than by giving the Japanese & Asian markets a kitten.

Dude, two words: "Hello Kitty"

ANYHOW, what happens if I just leave the game on but don't give him any attention? Maybe walk through the living room every once and a while? Also, that toy thing has got to broken a few times. I'll bet it only works with like 5 drawings.

Holy shit.

IT'S SO FUCKING ADORABLE!

I'll do more than just touch him and love him...

I will destroy him...or her...

Though I highly doubt it will be as responsive as that, it's still pretty cool. I wonder if this could have a relation to Home, you know for costumes and items and stuff? That would definately be interesting.

I don't give a PHOQUE if this is considered a "innovation/gimmick" by the zillions of cynical bastards out there..

I must play with that...must.

You know what I noticed, the people in the background arn't being all "WhOoOoAhOah!! SwEeEeEeTtTeT!@#!@#!" They're just being all "Hehe, this is cool!" Just an observation...

Here's another one...if they make this so that you can play with Sackboy, I am all over it.

Oh, god, that's... That's just too adorable for words. It probably won't work at all, but... I'm not sure if I care. It's too damn cute.

Looks pretty awesome.
I also like masturbating! (I'm subtle)

anybody notice that guy was controlling the car with the Sixaxis/DualShock... because i didn't ('_')

I wonder what happens if you draw a gun for the monkey.

This is a great idea but I can see it being seriously buggy. Especially with the drawings, will it have some sort of databank for what you can draw?

Susan Arendt:
Here's another one...if they make this so that you can play with Sackboy, I am all over it.

Holy. Shit.

OhmigodOhmigodOhmigodOhmigodOhmigodOhmigodOhmigodOhmigodOhmigod...

YES!!!!

THAT IS PERFECT!

Please Sony, if you have any hearts let us play with out sackboys? Please?

Reading the reactions here, I suddenly see this as giving the same reactions to a ton of other people, and so they go out and buy it... play with it for an hour, and never use it again. Just seems to be one of those things.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Reading the reactions here, I suddenly see this as giving the same reactions to a ton of other people, and so they go out and buy it... play with it for an hour, and never use it again. Just seems to be one of those things.

That may be true but...well...yeah, it's exactly like that (Wii anybody?)

I can see myself getting this, getting bored, and trying 24/7 to beat it to death..... This will be an abomination! A horrible, vicous, sociopathic, cute ass abomination.

Susan Arendt:

Indigo_Dingo:

Two games I desperately want. I was also hoping that Shiki-Tei (the garden game) would get localized, but no such luck as of yet.

Ps3 games are region free, remember? You can just import.

Jamash:

Susan Arendt:

After all you can't really go wrong with a cute monkey, no matter who you're selling it too.

Or maybe its because, when it comes to justification for buying this system, the virtual cat would be more expensive than an actual kitten, while no man aside from Micheal Jackson has their own monkey.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here