No Fallout 3 For India - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 NEXT

No Fallout 3 For India - UPDATED

Bad news for gamers in India: It looks like you're not going to get to play Fallout 3 after all.

While the PC and PlayStation 3 versions of the game were never scheduled to be released in India, Microsoft had been tapped as the distributor of the Xbox 360 release of the game, set to take place on October 28. But now, Microsoft India has released a statement, reported by GamingIndians, that the game will not be released due to concerns over "cultural sensitivities."

"Microsoft constantly endeavors to bring the best games to Indian consumers in sync with their international release," the company said in the statement. "However, in light of cultural sensitivities in India, we have made the business decision to not bring Fallout 3 into the country."

As GamingIndians points out, games like Postal, BioShock and Grand Theft Auto are readily available for purchase in India, so what it is that makes Fallout 3 such a risk is a complete mystery at this point. We've put out feelers to try to get to the bottom of this, and we'll update with new information when it becomes available. In the meantime, this looks like yet another case of a game publisher going way too far in an attempt to avoid tipping any sacred cows.

UPDATE: Yes, I made a funny. But Sameer Desai of GamingIndians has confirmed that the presence of cows in the game, the famous Fallout brahmins, is in fact the problem. "The issue at hand, is that in the game you can slaughter cows. Cows are sacred in the Hindu religion, and if I'm not mistaken, the cows in the game are called Brahmins, which is the name of a Hindu sect/caste," he said. "Considering the games that are readily available in India, this shouldn't be a problem, but since Microsoft was directly distributing the game in India, I think they've chosen to be cautious rather than be faced with a backlash later."

So now we know.

Don't like a game? Think it's offensive to you? Here's a hint for you: Don't buy it! No one's forcing you to play the bloody thing. "Cultural sensitivites" my bloody arse. Microsoft could make a killing with Fallout 3 if both PC and PS3 versions aren't getting released. They're either stupid or...well, stupid. ;/

That kind of backlash is just what they should want! It gets more attention and makes more people buy it. What is the problem?

I'm not from India but....i hate society.

Why not just let the game be sold and people that are offended by it simply not buy it?

Seriously is it that hard?
Do we need to censor everything just because some silly twats are offended by these kind of things?
Why not just ignore it!?

Bloody religion, bah!

Were the previous two Fallouts available in India?, Didnt Worms have an exploding cow, was that ok?

how about harvest moon? This raises so many additional questions

Well, you gotta give them credit for not wanting to digitally kill a wireframe mesh and a bunch of textures representing a cow mutated by radiation so badly that it now has two heads but is still apparently sacred. I wonder if it's twice as sacred for having two heads?

Mail 'em hamburgers.

It's aparent that all the world wide religions are trying to see which one can be the bigger dick about gaming.

Christopher Hitchens: God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything

....Why don't they just re-name the cows for the Indian version?

Somethingfake:
....Why don't they just re-name the cows for the Indian version?

Call 'em 'moo moos'.

Or 'cowlike, but not sacred beasts'

And for the sound FX, you can just reverse the current moo!

oooooooOOOOOOOOOOM!

Holy cow!

...and I thought it had to do with Pakistan being a nuclear power and Fallout 3 taking place in a post-nuclear world.

This is getting crazy.
You know what, this is why we can't have nice things society. This shit right here. Fucking cows.

And you're no better Western culture, with your insane fear of sex.

Imitation Saccharin :
This is getting crazy.
You know what, this is why we can't have nice things society. This shit right here. Fucking cows.

Ironic, being said in a thread about an American-developed series that practically pioneered off-screen sex. :P

admanb:

Ironic, being said in a thread about an American-developed series that practically pioneered off-screen sex. :P

I can see a man get blown literally to pieces, yet the sight of genitals was simply too vile for such a game.

Irony negated.

Who wouldn't want to kill a two-headed mutant cow? I think they should atleast release the game there with a special warning or something, for the people who are okay with killing cows. In videogames, atleast.

Imitation Saccharin :

So there is a culture that is even more sexual than the Western culture?
Please tell me where, I wanna go there.

SunoffaBeach:

Sex. Insane fear of sex.
Not fruitless sexual titillation.

Imitation Saccharin :

SunoffaBeach:

Sex. Insane fear of sex.
Not fruitionless sexual titillation.

you mean because of AIDS?

SunoffaBeach:

Imitation Saccharin :

The Kama Sutra is an Indian text, ironically.

We have many cultures over here..

I would say that the majority of India is in a Religious community. They take their religion much more seriously than we do in the west. In many ways religion is all they have... I am not surprised by this.

What is stupid to you is offensive to others. But as most people don't know much out of their own communities I am not surprised by some of these comments.

And as most of you aren't even in India I dont see why this would even concern you, let alone give you a negative opinion about a country or company?

SunoffaBeach:

\
What? No. Because of the stupid Bible. We've associated sex with sin.

You know it's still illegal in most of the US for a women to walk around without a shirt on unless she's protesting?

Imitation Saccharin :

SunoffaBeach:

\
What? No. Because of the stupid Bible. We've associated sex with sin.

You know it's still illegal in most of the US for a women to walk around without a shirt on unless she's protesting?

check this out: http://www.gadling.com/2007/04/26/which-country-has-the-most-frequent-sex/

lots of Western countrys in the top 10 :)

SunoffaBeach:

check this out: http://www.gadling.com/2007/04/26/which-country-has-the-most-frequent-sex/

Annnnd?

I'm sure the catholic church is riff with masturbators.

ok, i give up!
you're arguments are so strong and convincing, I have no chance.

I think I better go and have sex with my girlfriend.

Imitation Saccharin :

SunoffaBeach:

Annnnd?

I'm sure the catholic church is riff with masturbators.

And child molesters, apparently.

VISHNU IS DISPLEASED!

Meh, political correctness.. Microsoft has to be nice to India though, it does all of it's tech support.

To be fair, it's not been banned, so Indians can import it if they really want it.

TsunamiWombat:
VISHNU IS DISPLEASED!

Meh, political correctness.. Microsoft has to be nice to India though, it does all of it's tech support.

You cheeky bastard.

This is sortof the equivalent of Sony pulling LBP because of the Forum post with the Muslim(s). Infact, I would consider this worse than the Sony/Muslim thing, atleast they're still releasing the damn game everywhere they can!

Except this time, NOBODY WAS COMPLAINING. Or atleast, nobody was complaining in this article to my knowledge. Reading it over again, like, 10 time no where does it say that any Indians were offended.

Microsoft just made the assumption that they didn't want to offend them, so they arn't going to release it in India at all. While I do understand them not wanting to offend anyone, they could atleast wait until someone complained and then release an official appology or something.

What the hell is this?

What the hell is this?

In tactics it's called a pre-emptive strike. The only problem is that they're pre-emptively striking against an empty field of grass (one, ostensibly, with no cows in it I might add). Last time I checked India had a fairly diverse collection of religions and peoples residing there, not just Hindus.

I've not played the Fallouts thus far (never got round to it, unfortunately). Did 1 and 2 have these two-headed cows in? I assume so from:

the famous Fallout brahmins

In which case, were 1 and 2 unreleased in India? I can't see any reference to them in a quick skim of both game's wikis, so who knows? :s

That's gotta be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I'm getting a little tired of people being so damned worried about causing offense over every little thing. It's starting to get to the point where things are so PC you can't say anything for fear of ticking off every religion on the planet. If someone gets upset at the game and complains, too bad. It's just a game, and nobody guaranteed you a life where you wouldn't be offended occasionally. Microsoft should just accept any complaints that come their way (they'll get plenty anyway, for the violence and such I'm betting) and deal with it.

Idiots.

i really will kill someone here if that happen ... thats just sad where is the freedom to say or paint or make a game whit cows if i want? thats just barbaric and not in a good way... and ... i belive they are fighting, they try to see which country makes gaming a bad/ illegal thing to do in the world... now its indian versus the Muslims... now its matter of time... duke nukem will never be out because the tits and we will never see resivend evil 5 because killing black zombies is baaaaaaad...

EDIT:
damn!!
*note to my self ... buy several ps3 and pc fallout 3 copies then go to india and sell it for big big profit

A lot of you guys are forgetting that Microsoft is pulling Fallout 3 off Indian shelves. Frankly, most Indian gamers wouldn't care, and the deeply religious ones wouldn't know about video games to begin with. Hell, most will get the game regardless, since the place is rife with piracy.

So, re-iteration: this is Microsoft's decision, not due to some kind of complaint.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here