Band Turns Guitar Hero Controllers Into "Instruments"

Band Turns Guitar Hero Controllers Into "Instruments"

California-based electronic noise rockers The Guitar Zeros take fake plastic instruments to a whole different level of weirdness.

When unabashed creativity and gaming pop culture collide, amazingly bizarre things can happen. It's quite surreal to see an actual band making original music in a live setting with a drum set, a microphone, a stack of amps, a laptop, and two Guitar Hero controllers. That's exactly what The Guitar Zeroes are all about.

The band has programmed its own software that turns Guitar Hero controllers into playable instruments. Though there are only five colored buttons on the controllers, they can be pressed in 32 different configurations, allowing for a broad range of scales and sounds. Plugging the re-tooled controllers into distortion pedals and other effects units also amplifies their rocking capabilities.

For the technically minded, the band has even posted a comprehensive guide detailing the meticulous process required to turn your own Guitar Hero controllers into "music instruments." Granted, the sounds these devices produce under your novice tutelage are likely to fall under the excruciating category, unless you dig your electronic rock-n-roll in the jagged vein of wild and wooly squawks and bleeps. It's cool nonetheless.

If you have the aural constitution, check out The Guitar Zeros' tunes at their myspace page.

That's actually really cool. Really nerdy, but really cool nonetheless.

I like Guy in back of picture who's smiling in an almost bemused way at Chubby guy with glasses's pose.

I'm not sure if this is cool or depressing. Also, as Amnestic points out, did you notice how the 2 guys in the back are watching the 2 guys in the front rocking out?

Amnestic:

I like Guy in back of picture who's smiling in an almost bemused way at Chubby guy with glasses's pose.

Yeah, but the chubby guys just begging for something to be photo shopped into his hands, probably a big gun.

cool and nerdy, jejeh

They're almost playing real instruments!

Huh. Their music wasn't terrible, but definitely not something I'd listen to again.

Hey Nathan, I didn't know you were in a band.

Anyway, it's cool that they've gotten some guitar hero controllers it play music. Probably isn't great though.

Edit: Got it to load properly. It's actually not too bad, but it's not something I'd buy.

Too bad the music totally sucks.

I haven't listened to their stuff, but this is a pretty cool idea. I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for someone to try this.

Thunderhorse:

It wasn't that bad... The drums sounded nice and the singer wasn't too bad. I wonder if they're going to submit their songs to Rockband or Guitar Hero:World Tour? Then they can say the notes don't or do match up.

This is a little late. I heard about this...Some few months ago.
I think it's cool, but I also think it's a collasol(sp?) waste.

Nathan Meunier:
programmed its own software

Major respect points there despite retarded idea.

needausername:

Yeah, but the chubby guys just begging for something to be photo shopped into his hands, probably a big gun.

I was thinking an enormous sub sandwich.

This probably won't do much to curb the attitudes of the "OMGZ LEARN TO PLAY GIUTAAR!!11!!1" morons that write half the YouTube comments and such ;)

it's quite pants music realy, and a very very geeky idea, funny though

Har. Actually, I was in quite a few bands back in the day. No longer, though.

ha sweet

needausername:

Amnestic:

chubby guy needs a box of donuts or a sub like someone else said, lol

LivemeLifefree:

Thunderhorse:

It wasn't that bad... The drums sounded nice and the singer wasn't too bad. I wonder if they're going to submit their songs to Rockband or Guitar Hero:World Tour? Then they can say the notes don't or do match up.

If you say so...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here