A Look Back At Fallout

A Look Back At Fallout

Fallout 3 is coming tomorrow, and to whet your appetite Gametrailers.com has produced a pretty cool look back at one of gaming's most storied cult classics.

The 15-minute retrospective covers everything from the 1988 release of Wasteland, a post-apocalyptic RPG widely hailed as an inspiration for Fallout, to the release of Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for the PlayStation 2 and Xbox, touching on both major story points and the developmental evolution of the game, and also offers a brief glimpse at Bethesda's imminent take on the post-nuclear RPG franchise. Naturally, there are spoilers, so if you haven't played the first two games yet but still intend to get around to it someday, consider yourself warned.

For everyone else, the video is an entertaining and informative overview of one of the most durable franchises in videogame history, and a great way to get into the mood for Fallout 3. The Fallout Retrospective can be downloaded or viewed at Gametrailers.com.

For the lazy!

Cheers Virgil! I've been waiting for Fallout 3 for the past 2 years or so. I even went and bought the previous Fallout games for my last birthday just so i could fully experiance the full franchise.

Great! I sadly haven't played the other Fallouts, but it's a great to motivate myself, by watching the video...and naturally prepare for Fallout 3. :)

RIP Fallout 1, 2 and Interplay, we shall not know such as you again

Superb little video. Top notch!

And you have to remind me that Fallout 3 comes out three days earlier in the NTSC regions, didn't you? Oh well, it's probably first thing on Thursday morning for me anyway.

Thanks Virgil.

GT seem to be producing some top-notch video original video material at the moment. Kudos to them.

Tactics isn't Canon??? What the Hell, that game had a really good story. The Brotherhood had to compromise their xenophobic politics and eventually got consumed by outsiders because they adopted so many new cultures. When the super computer finally took over it was brilliant because it was your own character dethroning the Brotherhood leader.

Plus the last level was one of gamings most brilliant exercises in 'Go F*** Yourself' difficulty.

L.B. Jeffries:
Tactics isn't Canon??? What the Hell, that game had a really good story. The Brotherhood had to compromise their xenophobic politics and eventually got consumed by outsiders because they adopted so many new cultures. When the super computer finally took over it was brilliant because it was your own character dethroning the Brotherhood leader.

Plus the last level was one of gamings most brilliant exercises in 'Go F*** Yourself' difficulty.

Well, first off there was never a Vault 0, and I think that there just weren't enough people who played Fallout Tactics to consider it canon. Hell, I never played it much. It came with my three-in-one Fallout disc, but I just couldn't get into it.

Elurindel:

L.B. Jeffries:

Well, first off there was never a Vault 0, and I think that there just weren't enough people who played Fallout Tactics to consider it canon. Hell, I never played it much. It came with my three-in-one Fallout disc, but I just couldn't get into it.

Y'know, we are talking about a fictional universe with fictional characters where you can just make stuff up when you need to.

Elurindel:

L.B. Jeffries:

Fan bases can decide canon? Someone tell Star Wars fans, stat! We need to retcon those prequels out of existence.

Going to go pick up 3 tonight, I can't wait.

Saskwach:

Elurindel:

L.B. Jeffries:

Fan bases can decide canon? Someone tell Star Wars fans, stat! We need to retcon those prequels out of existence.

I'm pretty sure no decent star wars fan counts the prequels as canon anyway :p
But yeah, the reason it's non-canon is because it goes against previously-established canon. As I recall, the Brotherhood of steel had decent training and most of the good technology, but were crippled by a council of elders who "can't even figure if they want to piss, let alone which pot to piss in". Which is why they needed the Vault Dweller to go and do stuff for them.

Saskwach:

Elurindel:

L.B. Jeffries:

The Fallout fan-base pretty much decided current canon for the series, although with FO3, the Van Buren stuff'll have to be removed from the timeline.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here