EA: Get Banned From Forums, Lose Your Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

And people actually wonder WHY people pirate EA's games?

Even more incentive to pirate EA's latest titles.

Nice one EA, they're really doing well in their mission to encourage the free-sharing and distribution of software... that was their mission right?

Wow, seriously, this is like watching an 'effing circus. EA is a sinking ship at this point. Five years from now people will think back to this point in gaming history and laugh. Hysterically. 'Till then I am perfectly happy watching it all from up here on my pirate ship ;)

...another reason I'm glad I had my parents take out their stock they had in EA. These little Shenanigans are going to shred their buyers immensely.

How capitalism works is that you pay money for goods and services. You then use those goods and services to whatever end you desire.

SHOPKEEPERS AREnT ALLOWED TO TAKE THEM BACK FROM YOU.

I've been rummaging around trying to find some nails, but it seems EA has used them all; I guess that coffin they're building is almost finished...

Well there goes another thread of EA's collective sanity.

Wait, couldn't you just do this, make 1 account that you use exclusively for the forums and then make another that you use exclusively for games.

Sure this still means that if you get banned in a game all your games are fubar, but its still a way to sorta loophole around this.

The head of Electronic Arts had this to say at a press conference
"THIS IS ONLY THE BEGINNING.
WE WILL GROW STRONGER.
WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT
WE WILL EMERGE AND TAKE OUR
RIGHTFUL PLACE AS THE SUPREME
GAME DESIGNERS OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE!"

But in brighter news, 500+ jobs to go at EA.

EA fail!

Ahh, EA. Good times. Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam were pretty much the only EA games I played. Other than that, I did some C&C, but uninstalled it once I was done. And currently, I can't think of any EA titles I'd want to play. (suggestions?)

Also, why would one want to post on their forums, anyway?

What a perfect picture to go with this story. :D

Dear EA,
Please die. Or I will have to make you.
Love, you mum

I may be naive here but this smells of a little mantra we learned at uni when a huge glaring bug turned up in a project and it was too late in the production process to be repaired:
"We meant to do it! It's not a bug, it's a feature!"

It's got to be spin for a stupid error, I bet the forum team didn't realise that it would ban the one player games until it was too late to change.

Unless they do have a strategic plan to alienate their customers. (Or maybe just the whiny ones.) I never did really get the strategic management decisions part of the course...

Well,
1. I can't say I disagree
2. I don't buy EA anyway
3. We all know they're greedy corporate dicks, like disney only less evil.

All I have to say is... LOLWHUT?

This is like something a 80's Comic Book Villain would do. What next, they kidnap the president and hold in ransom for...ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

Also, I think EA's losses have more to do with them being dickholes then with the recession.

TsunamiWombat:
What next, they kidnap the president and hold in ransom for...ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

You may be on to something there. I say we prepare for this eventuality!

Who here is among us is a bad enough dude to rescue the president?

johnman:
When will EA stop trying to destory themselves and make a good game?

Never, considering there are people smart enough to buy every iteration of their sports game every year when it's all the same shit only with graphic over haul.

OK, these guys just HAVE to get bankrupt soon. Sure they own a shitload of companies but they just released Red Alert 3 alongside Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet, and Guitar Hero IV, and...

oh fuck it, Left 4 Dead bears the EA logo (so no one buy this through retail!) and so did Dead Space. We'll never be able to put them out of business will we?

now i am guna go rub it in on my EA loving friend that EA is a group of jabbering dickheads

i am also very smug with myself for never liking EA in the first place

ElArabDeMagnifico:
OK, these guys just HAVE to get bankrupt soon. Sure they own a shitload of companies but they just released Red Alert 3 alongside Fallout 3 and LittleBigPlanet, and Guitar Hero IV, and...

oh fuck it, Left 4 Dead bears the EA logo (so no one buy this through retail!) and so did Dead Space. We'll never be able to put them out of business will we?

Best way to counter their current moves? Becoming the majority shareholder :P

EA seems to have taken the first step in smacktard fumigation. Now if only microsoft could figure out how to make idiots on live lose access to all their single player games whenever they spout racist and offensive comments online we'd be in business.

Wow that's some understandable bull'hit, Understandable, But bull'hit nonetheless.
Now I can pirate RA3 with a good feelings (I know its consios or something), Not that I ever feel anything wrong whe... That isn't relevant.

Are they still pulling the "Only 5 Installations" thingy? Because I'd never ever buy a game with those kinds of restrictions.

Amnestic:

ElArabDeMagnifico:

Best way to counter their current moves? Becoming the majority shareholder :P

Well actually becoming a short term stock holder investor in the video game industry could be quite lucrative. I mean we as gamers already have the knowledge on when to buy, and sell game company stocks. We just have to look at the products they are releasing and decide when to cut our profit to profit, oh and also to fulfill those taxes for selling those short term stocks. The real question is how much do we need to invest to pull a profit that matters?

This is actually a prime time to consider investing now that your stockholders have turn yellow making stock prices lose their value of the bull market.
Right now EA (Symbol ERTS) is valued at 27.73 dollars(american) on 10/30/2008 and went down by .31 cents. And with this slow down it would be a good time if one decided to invest in EA to do a long term investment rather than a short term because news reports of cutting jobs and pulling bad quarterly reports make this gaming producer/developer titan start to lose it's balance despite all the games being released.

But a gradual investment of some of your personal profits could be quite beneficial because now that the gaming industry has felt the recession(I was wrong about the game industry being immune to the recession) stocks are now cut to almost 50% of their original value during the summer. So take some time, do some research(see if the company is well managed) and budget a gradual investment in some video game stocks(about 100 dollars a month) can do a long way over time and during those "peak title" releases you can sell out and re-invest to other game companies.

Also, stockholders get invites to gaming conventions and can influence company policy. Just saying.

P.S. Do not invest in those "third" party companies that produce "bad" games like SSTR(known for owning the publisher Empire). I lost about 100 dollars buying their stock at their peak now their value is at 21 cents a share when I bought at 65 cents a share. So bad games make bad stock options to own.

Sources

http://www.forbes.com/2008/10/30/electronic-arts-technology-markets-equity-cx_lal_1030markets40.html?partner=msn

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122539935362185471.html?mod=msn_money_keywords

P.P.S.
Oh yeah this is messed up for EA. I've been banned from the WOW forums for making a bad southpark joke about 2 years ago. I did not know "goobacks" from that south park episode was offensive enough even after phrasing myself could get me banned. I was an idiot and even apologized due to my ignorance but recieved no repsponse. BUT I was still able to play WoW. I know if I try to make a joke again that my game is at risk then I would be less inclined to interact with a community which is counter intuitive to the point of gaming and forums.

This is 1 step forward, with finally making your publishing portfolio VERY well rounded and 2 steps back with the securerom activation codes and banning the players single player game over a forum post. I want to respect EA in this age but their management keeps messing up by threating their honest customers to try and screw over pirates.

Khell_Sennet:
Well, I guess EA decided SecuROM wasn't enough, and are truly striving to bankrupt themselves. Yes, the easy solution is stay off the forums, but that's not the issue here. As the paying customer, your right to play the games purchased cannot be restricted by unrelated actions elsewhere on the internet. In-game behavior within an online game, yes, but even then they cannot restrict your right to offline play.

This is why I hate Valve's STEAM system, and EA, and any other company who has an online connectivity requirement to single-player games. On a whim, they can disable your purchase, and what can you honestly do about it? They're located in a different state, often a different country from most users. They have your money, and enough money to make sure you can't sue (or at least, can't win), and the EULA gives them the right to do this shit. When is the government going to step in and regulate how much an EULA covers, and start protecting consumer rights? And how much longer before EA's investors begin firing their CEO and management staff?

Ahem... "When is the Government going to step in..." - which Government exactly? As you yourself pointed out, this thing goes across national borders.

It's the age-old problem of the Internet. There is no one police force (although the Aussies, Americans, British and Chinese are each doing their damndest in their own inimitable ways.) Who decides what gets regulated, and who enforces it? Just because EA is a meganational gaming corporation doesn't mean that it's immune to the intoxicatingly corrupt curse of the Internets.

Annoyingly, I've lost the link to the thread where I posted the thing about "how did EA fall so low?" But it's fairly obvious anyway, reading this. :)

As soon as I saw that evil bearded guy smiling with the Communis background, I knew EA was going to do something stupid...

I for one like their idea. It's really simple to not get banned in a forum, add I raise my EA flag higher and thank them for finding a way to punish doushebags. If I ran a company, I wouldn't sell to trolls either.

Jumplion:
As soon as I saw that evil bearded guy smiling with the Communist background, I knew EA was going to do something stupid...

What's wrong with Tim Curry? He's awesome!
I like to think he was put there as less of a heralder for bad news, but more of a sympathetic gesture.
Something along the lines of "yes... yes it turns out EA really are that power crazy, but here's a picture of Tim Curry to put you at ease."

My worry is that it's only a matter of time before all these silly notions EA has of keeping you safe by watching you while you sleep are going to make their way onto console games as well.

Hang on guys after a bit more research I think we might be able to sorta take a sigh of relief.

http://www.gamecyte.com/rumor-quash-ea-will-not-ban-flagrant-forumites-from-playing-games

It is still bad that EA can still ban people's games but it might be so extreme as I took it for as that standard knee jerk reaction.

TheMadDoctorsCat:
Ahem... "When is the Government going to step in..." - which Government exactly? As you yourself pointed out, this thing goes across national borders.

The above statement is both true, and totally irrelevant. Yes, game companies are multinational, but they are each located in one nation, and to export from that nation to another, they must abide by the laws of the importing country. If Canada and the US collectively worked out a limitation of EULA power, then to import to Can/America they would have to comply with the new laws. For companies IN Can/Us, even more direct methods can be taken, as it becomes a case of "Follow the regulations or we shut you down". Not that other parts of the world don't matter, but with the mainstream game companies, North America is the make or break, and if they can't do business there, it's game over for them.

The Iron Ninja:

Jumplion:
As soon as I saw that evil bearded guy smiling with the Communist background, I knew EA was going to do something stupid...

What's wrong with Tim Curry? He's awesome!
I like to think he was put there as less of a heralder for bad news, but more of a sympathetic gesture.
Something along the lines of "yes... yes it turns out EA really are that power crazy, but here's a picture of Tim Curry to put you at ease."

I know that if I ever got a flat tire on a stormy night, I'd want to be in front of his castle.

But if EA doesn't want to have user forums anymore, why don't they just shut them down?

matrix3509:
I believe the problem stems entirely from the fact that you can get banned from EA forums now for even discussing DRM or SecuROM. So now if you complain about DRM, get ready to effectively lose your games.

OK, that's really overkill...

Seriously though, someone has got to get rid of this EULA crap? It's the EULA that allows these massive corporations from doing practically whatever they want with us gamers, to the extent they are skirting on illicit activity.

Update to the story.

http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread.jspa?threadID=457006&tstart=0

Hey everyone,

If you didn't notice, your C&C Community Manager, me, had a bit of a run-in with the video game blogging media today in reference to a direct quote I made on our forums here a few days ago in regards to how we handle bans and suspensions on the forums and in-game. You all know how we are greatly trying to protect and serve you from those who wish to disrupt our C&C community by breaking ToS on our forums or in-game, and I know everyone appreciates when we take action on those that are the worst.

That said, the previous statement I made recently (that's being quoted on the blogs) was inaccurate and a mistake on my part. I had a misunderstanding with regards to our new upcoming forums and website and never meant to infer that if we ban or suspend you on the forums, you would be banned in-game as well. This is not correct, my mistake, my bad.

If we suspend or ban you from the forums, that does not affect your in-game account and certainly it does not impact your in-game account for other games. Quite often we usually warn you before taking any type of action, suspend you before considering any type of ban, etc. I am sure you guys know that we are fairly tolerant and stress that you please show respect to others, but we also understand the forums are a place to be heard and express your opinion in a constructive manner. Everyone has their "flame" moments.

Your Posting in our official C&C EA Forums is enabled by an EA Nucleus account (the Master EA Account you typically login with to chose your Persona) -- but access to the forums and access to the games are separate. Players who have been banned from EA Forums are not automatically banned from online access to their other EA games, or the game associated with that particular forum. Players can be warned, suspended, and/or then banned if they breach the Terms of Service or Code of Conduct in a forum, game or service. Each forum, game and service is managed independently by our customer support representatives responsible for that specific forum, game or service.

Suffice to say, when we take action on someone on our C&C forums here, for any number of ToS breaking reasons, it does not impact your C&C game account or any other EA Game Account connected to your forum name. The mods here do a great job of alerting me when we need to warn someone or take further action, if I haven't seen it myself or heard it in a thread from one of you, but any action we take on a C&C Forum User, doesn't impact their in-game status.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but I hope everyone is able to see the greater good intent in that we are simply trying to keep the forums and in-game as friendly and fun environments as possible, just know that those two environments are treated seperately by myself, the mods, and especially our Customer Support team. =)

Sincerely,
APOC

Someone more linguistically capable needs to update the news page. I'm a bit too much of a smartass to write up news reports.

Ha ha, moderator EPIC FAIL. Methinks somebody got a bit of a swell head.

Everyone knows you can make a new account if you get banned, that banning is simply making a point. Why would they go to such drastic steps when it's so easily subverted?

Yes, there are certainly people who should be banned from everything because they're total social rejects. But like real life, you can't just get rid of them.

No matter how hard you hit.

so, what i guess I'm like, saying is that, EA like, sucks my balls basically, yeah. like the E sucks like this ball and the A sucks like teh other ball. so the E and the A are just like sucking my balls. so... like... yeah.

-Jeremy (teh pwnerer)... well that's kind of what he said.

APOC was later taken out behind the Internet by EA security and shot. He is survived by his wife and three children who will also be shot shortly. EA thanks you for your business and asks you keep your wallets open.

Do not resist. It'll only hurt worse.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or