Betting Now Open For Best-Selling Game Of Christmas 08

Betting Now Open For Best-Selling Game Of Christmas 08

Wanna bet which game will be the number one seller over Christmas? Paddy Power is giving odds.

Paddy Power, an Irish online bookmaker, has opened betting on which videogame will be the U.K.'s top seller over the 2008 Christmas season. Leading the way at press time is Call of Duty: World at War at 5-2, followed by FIFA Soccer 09 at 4-1 and Need For Speed Undercover, with 5-1 odds. Interestingly, Guitar Hero World Tour is down the list a bit, at 12-1, while Rock Band 2, dragged down by recent reports of significantly slowing sales, is an outside runner at 20-1.

Feel like rolling the dice a little? Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe will get you 50-1 odds, as will betting on a holiday resurgence for Grand Theft Auto IV. Movie games Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Lightsaber Duels and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa are both coming in at 150-1 longshots, along with the upcoming World of Warcraft expansion Wrath of the Lich King, which I have to admit I find a bit surprising. Risk-takers on a hot streak might find something to like in Resident Evil Zero, a 250-1 horse that's so dark it's practically invisible.

Based in Dublin, Paddy Power is Ireland's largest bookmaker, giving odds on everything from conventional sports events to the U.S. Presidential election, Russell Brand's next job, whether or not God actually exists and, at 500-1, whether Russell Brand actually is God. People who live in silly countries where online gambling is illegal (but assault weapon ownership isn't) can't get a piece of this action, but the rest of the world can pick their ponies here.

I bet FIFA 09 because World at War is being drowned in cynicism over its World War II setting (and FIFA has online where each player is different person is awesome).

I predict Left 4 Dead.

It surprises me that WotLK is so low on the odds. My money's actually going to be on that. At 150-1 odds someone could stand to make a fairly large win if they were right.

I'm also gonna go with FIFA 09. I've heard people do nothing but gush about the game and I don't even follow sport games.

Amnestic:
It surprises me that WotLK is so low on the odds. My money's actually going to be on that. At 150-1 odds someone could stand to make a fairly large win if they were right.

Same here... holy shit, I can't believe those odds!

My sure-fire bet goes to Little Big Planet and Gears of War 2, with my long-shot being Mortal Kombat vs DC.

Wrath.

curlycrouton:
I predict Left 4 Dead.

nah, with horror games you lose the crucial very olds, very youngs and very young's mums. They aren't usually daft enough to buy their kid a game with a severed hand on the front.

My money goes on WoW. Massive existing market.

fix-the-spade:

curlycrouton:
I predict Left 4 Dead.

nah, with horror games you lose the crucial very olds, very youngs and very young's mums. They aren't usually daft enough to buy their kid a game with a severed hand on the front.

My money goes on WoW. Massive existing market.

Maybe you're right.
In that case, Lego Batman.

The problem is the wording of the argument: "Best seller Christmas 08"

WotLK Goes on sale on the 13th of november most everywhere i think, a good Month+ before the christmas season, so if they dont count the release night sales, of course the 150-1 odds make more sense as there's no logic behind WotLK sales outpacing anything else after the first week of its release.

Got a feeling that it'll be either FIFA 09 or Need for Speed, not because I'd get them but because they'll appeal to a wider audience...

Going by times I've had to fill out pre-order forms for it I'd say Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS will sell BILLIONS

You are all insane. Deep down, we all know what will sell the best, even if we wish it wasn't.

Wii Music.

Although I am shocked that both Resistance 2 and LittleBigplanet got better odds than it. Someones gonna lose a fair amount.

Edit: Huh, no odds for Metal Gear Solid 4. You'd think they would be there over Madagascar.

What's the betting odds on 25% or more of those titles being pushed back into 2009?

I'm would bet GH4 but it's going to be sold out everywhere so I'll bet COD 5.

Khell_Sennet:
What's the betting odds on 25% or more of those titles being pushed back into 2009?

Bad, seeing as how 60% are already out.

World at War isn't surprising. Most of CoD4's sales came from Christmas and it knocked xbox live out for a week. I' guessing the same people who bought number four in trucks loads will do the same for number five.

I just hope Live can withstand fire power of that magnitude this time.

It'll definitely be something on the Wii or DS. Do console bundles count? If so, I reckon Wii Sports. If not, Wii Music.

COD: W@W for mine. Then GH:WT as an outside bet

Fire Daemon:
World at War isn't surprising. Most of CoD4's sales came from Christmas and it knocked xbox live out for a week. I' guessing the same people who bought number four in trucks loads will do the same for number five.

Isn't it likely to be more bogged down with Gears 2? And the PsN with Resistance 2?

Indigo_Dingo:

Fire Daemon:

Isn't it likely to be more bogged down with Gears 2? And the PsN with Resistance 2?

CoD5 is cross platform so I think that gives it a pretty big advantage over Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2.

Fire Daemon:

Indigo_Dingo:

Fire Daemon:

CoD5 is cross platform so I think that gives it a pretty big advantage over Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2.

I would say just the opposite, actually - while its sales might be higher overall, the two combined are likely to see more online activity.

Its still somewhat likely to be the best selling game of the year, but I still think its not gonna top either consoles online usage lists.

That being said, I still don't know about WAW. I think 4 really benefited most from its fresh perspective, and allowing us to use something other than the 45-era rifles. Even with the Zombie Nazi seige mode...... that gets trumped by Resistance 2's co-op, GeOW2's Horde Mode (I think thats what its called), and all of Left 4 Dead.

But then, I am biased against the game cause they still haven't put in any fucking Australians. This was our half of the war, damnit! We suffered through torture second only to the holocaust victims. And we are to be ignored in this?!

Indigo_Dingo:
But then, I am biased against the game cause they still haven't put in any fucking Australians. This was our half of the war, damnit! We suffered through torture second only to the holocaust victims. And we are to be ignored in this?!

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed of at that as well. And the two exclusives will see more online usage. I've been playing the Beta test for a bit and it is no where as good as CoD4. I could go on for ages but I don't really want to type all night. The reason I said it will sell is because of the popularity number four gave to the franchise. At face value CoD5 is CoD4 with a different paint job and I think this is going to sell the game. People who enjoyed CoD4 are more than likely going to buy this game expecting new maps and different weapons with the Gameplay they love. They are going to be disappointed.

And what is the deal with no Australians in this game? All the Halo games had Australians and they didn't really need to be there, why the hell are there no Australians in the one game where we would be best suited. I mean sure there might be some mention of Aussies but to the best of my Knowledge they aren't playable in Multiplayer and that means no Australians in singleplayer. The Kokoda trail would have been a great resource for Treyarch... but they let it go to waste.

got to be Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2

TheGhostOfSin:
Going by times I've had to fill out pre-order forms for it I'd say Professor Layton and the Curious Village for the DS will sell BILLIONS

Ooh, my copy was dispatched today...
Does anyone know how Wii Fit is selling at the moment? Last I heard demand was far outstripping supply...
Edit: 20:1 on Wii Fit... I like those odds. Now if only I had any money to bet...

I was hoping to vote for Duke Nukem Forever. Odds for that must be 100000000000:1 at least. :)

I think... CoD : WaW.

Fire Daemon:

Indigo_Dingo:

Yeah, I'm pretty pissed of at that as well. And the two exclusives will see more online usage. I've been playing the Beta test for a bit and it is no where as good as CoD4. I could go on for ages but I don't really want to type all night. The reason I said it will sell is because of the popularity number four gave to the franchise. At face value CoD5 is CoD4 with a different paint job and I think this is going to sell the game. People who enjoyed CoD4 are more than likely going to buy this game expecting new maps and different weapons with the Gameplay they love. They are going to be disappointed.

And what is the deal with no Australians in this game? All the Halo games had Australians and they didn't really need to be there, why the hell are there no Australians in the one game where we would be best suited. I mean sure there might be some mention of Aussies but to the best of my Knowledge they aren't playable in Multiplayer and that means no Australians in singleplayer. The Kokoda trail would have been a great resource for Treyarch... but they let it go to waste.

I too am more than a little pissed at that. Both my grandfathers fought against the Japanese in the Pacific theatre of war; them and many, many, many Australians. Lest we forget.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here