Joker Fatality Uncensored - In Europe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Joker Fatality Uncensored - In Europe

It looks like the Joker's controversial fatality in Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe is going to be restored to its former full glory - in Europe.

Kotaku reported in October that the Joker's fatality move in the upcoming fighting game was a bit too graphic for the ESRB, which insisted on giving the game an M (Mature) rating despite the best efforts of publisher Warner Bros. to get a friendlier rating of T (Teen). The original move involved the Joker dancing and laughing like a maniac as he fired a prank gun - complete with "Bang!" flag - at his helpless opponent, before pulling a real gun and blowing her head off, followed by more Joker-esque laughing and dancing. In the edited version, which did ultimately earn the coveted T rating, the final, fatal move takes place off-screen.

But it sounds like European gamers aren't going to have to put up with that kind of nonsense. Senior Producer Hans Lo told VideoGamer.com yesterday that it's while it's "partly true" that the game has been edited, there's a bit more to the story than just that. "You know, for North America we have a Teen rating, and teen really means 13 and above. Thirteen is pretty young, you have to admit," he said. "For Europe we have a 15, 16+ rating - so it's a bit different."

He remained cryptic when asked specifically whether that meant different countries were getting different versions of the game. "I don't know, maybe!" he said. "I think you might have to go take a look."

A few minutes later, the U.K. version of the game was put on display for the media - with the Joker's fatality completely intact.

It's an interesting twist, given the widely-held belief that Americans are generally more tolerant of violent entertainment than Europeans. Did a Teen rating from the ESRB really justify cutting a finishing move that Kotaku called "one of the best we've ever seen?" Hard to say, but at least now there's a Plan B. Meanwhile, if you haven't seen it already, feast your eyes on the famous finisher right here:

Awesome....So A gunshot by the joker is worse than say giving fiddy 9

smallharmlesskitten:
Awesome....So A gunshot by the joker is worse than say giving fiddy 9

Yeah, I don't really see the problem... its not like there's many other games in which you can shoot people.

Maybe he should make his opponent overdose on drugs?

Whoa, Joker looks like a fun fighter to play. Love his finishing move...

Europe is great...

hahah thats an awesome fatality move!

They ruined the "Bang" gun. They should have him pull the trigger a second time and kill someone with the flag.

Gormourn:
Whoa, Joker looks like a fun fighter to play. Love his finishing move...

Europe is great...

Yes we are :)

I was really hoping the fatality would be some variation of his "disappearing pencil" trick from the movie.

When I first saw the Joker's fatality move, I was actually disturbed by it a bit.

But it was so fucking halarious.

Malygris:
I was really hoping the fatality would be some variation of his "disappearing pencil" trick from the movie.

That would have been 9 flavours of awesome. Ah well. Perhaps DC Universe Online.

sheic99:
They ruined the "Bang" gun. They should have him pull the trigger a second time and kill someone with the flag.

"Curses, its jammed"*Fires dart*

Did you ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Wait, I don't get it. These people manage to shrug off Supermans laser vision, and yet can be killed by an ordinary pistol? What the hell?

I can't believe they're editing this of all things...

They lost my purchase.

Gahars:

They lost my purchase.

Wow...that's an odd reason to pass up this game.

Gahars:

They lost my purchase.

Is there anyone who is honestly still thinking of buying it? Even the hopeless DC fans can just wait a few months for the MMO.

No one buys games with 'T' ratings.

AuntyEthel:

Cruel but funny.

hippo24:

AuntyEthel:

Cruel but funny.

What does that have to do with The Joker?

Indigo_Dingo:

hippo24:

AuntyEthel:

Cruel but funny.

The actor Keith Ledger, played the Joker in "the dark knight". He overdosed on medication shortly after filming.

hippo24:

Indigo_Dingo:

hippo24:

AuntyEthel:

Cruel but funny.

The actor Keith Ledger, played the Joker in "the dark knight". He overdosed on medication shortly after filming.

Its Heath ledger, not Keith. And thats pretty bad taste.

Seriously?? Well, in Dubai, we get PAL region games, so if anything, I might just get this! i've been curious about this game since it was announced, and it looks a bit like Deception with DC characters.

thebobmaster:

Gahars:

They lost my purchase.

Wow...that's an odd reason to pass up this game.

I thought the only reason to play an MK game was for the Fatalities : P I find it hillarious that they are fighting for a T-rating while trying to convince the old fans how brutal the finishing moves actually are : )

Wait a sec, a T rated Mortal Kombat game? That is an oxymoron. I mean, Mortal Kombat was one of the reasons they came up with the M rating in the first place!

Indigo_Dingo:

hippo24:

Indigo_Dingo:

hippo24:

AuntyEthel:

Cruel but funny.

Its Heath ledger, not Keith. And thats pretty bad taste.

The pills?

AuntyEthel:

Low blow...

but seriously the finisher's awesome, i love happy he looks as the bullet enters her head. YAY!

zee666:

AuntyEthel:

Low blow...

but seriously the finisher's awesome, i love happy he looks as the bullet enters her head. YAY!

Yeah, gotta love how she gets that "Holy shit he spared me" look right before he uses the real gun.

Although ironic, I don't believe that looking for a Teen Rating is a bad marketing move on their part. When you bring in the DC Universe, you'll have to expect a broader appeal, and look to keep that market less restrictive.

I do find it funny that the move was edited after the guy in the video makes a big deal about the game not being "Mortal Kombat Lite".

Wait, I don't get it. These people manage to shrug off Supermans laser vision, and yet can be killed by an ordinary pistol? What the hell?

It's the same reason that Jax could grow to 100 times his size and step on someone, or Smoke dropping enough bombs to destroy the entire planet.... You don't try to make sense of the MK Universe.

Am I the only one who thinks this raped Joker's (un)dignity?

Malygris:
It's an interesting twist, given the widely-held belief that Americans are generally more tolerant of violent entertainment than Europeans.

What?
I'm sorry, what?
Americans more tolerant to violent entertainment? What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

Dude, that was frikkin great. Gotta love that Joker. Gotta love that Ketana, too *tongue hangs out*

Emperor Inferno:
Dude, that was frikkin great. Gotta love that Joker. Gotta love that Ketana, too *tongue hangs out*

It's Kitana. And I agree with your evaluation. 10,000 years old, my ass...

Fanitullen:
Americans more tolerant to violent entertainment? What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

The one in which Manhunt 2 gets an M rating in the US and is banned in the UK, while Fahrenheit gets a 16+ rating in most European countries but has to have sex scenes cut to avoid an AO rating in North America.

Why, what's your fantasy world like?

Manhunt 2 has been released here in the UK now. On topic: The amount of hype surrounding this fatality made me think that the head would explode or something. Although I suppose I can sort of see it, seeing a body become flaccid and fall to the ground after one shot is rather disturbing

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here