Johnny Depp Is Mad And Creepy

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Johnny Depp Is Mad And Creepy

The first image of Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter has been released, and there's no denying it - he's got the "mad" thing down solid.

Depp is appearing in Tim Burton's adaptation of the Lewis Carroll classic alongside Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Alan Rickman and Christopher Lee. Not much is known about the film at this point, but the shot of Depp's character looks very much like what you'd expect from a Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland.

Depp has a reputation for choosing unusual roles in movies like Cry Baby, Benny & Joon, What's Eating Gilbert Grape and From Hell, but these days he's probably best known for playing the droopy-eyed, Keith Richards-like pirate Captain Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. He also has a long history of collaboration with Burton going back to 1990 with Edward Scissorhands; since then, the pair has teamed up for movies like Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow and in 2005, another children's novel adaptation, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Alice in Wonderland is currently in production, and is planned for release in March 2010.

Source: Filmonic

Great, now there's another movie I've got to see. God damn Hollywood.

I want.

This movie would be awesome, if it was quite a high rating. I just think it would be cool to see an adult (I don't mean adult adult) children's tale.

Tim Burton is one of the few movie industry people I would allow in my fallout shelter should the time arrive.

And since Depp isn't that bad(he has his moments where I'm lead to utter confusion and discust) I suppose he could have the upper left corner near the door...but only if there is no more Willy-Wonka without it being the original.

I'm looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. Charlie and the chocolate factory was even better than the original, but I did miss the original oompa loompa songs. Sweeny Todd was good too, but I wasn't expecting the whole musical thing when i first saw it, none of the commercials showed them singing.

To be honest, Depp was creepier, and perhaps madder, as Willie Wonka.

Unfortunately this is exactly what i would predict from depp/burton. I'm not impressed. Simply looking "wacky" doesn't cut it for me anymore. Ugh.

The casting looks terrific. Although I'm getting some Michael Jackson vides off of Tim Burton because of his choice in movies to make his handiwork is rarely lacking.

he's such an awesome actor

but i will always remeber him as

fluffylandmine:
Tim Burton is one of the few movie industry people I would allow in my fallout shelter should the time arrive.

And since Depp isn't that bad(he has his moments where I'm lead to utter confusion and discust) I suppose he could have the upper left corner near the door...but only if there is no more Willy-Wonka without it being the original.

Because, y'know, the "original" Willy Wonka had SO MUCH to do with the original book, as opposed to Burton's flick.

Yep.

As for this, my first thought was "Why doesn't he just team up with American McGee?...in fact, hasn't American McGee been working on Alice as a film since forever? Huh...".

This is a much better role for Depp than Sweeny Todd was. I got to see the original play and the play Into the Woods by the same writer, and they were awesome. But Depp as Sweeny Todd was a horrid casting choice. Depp is the wrong kind of insane to play Todd.

cleverlymadeup:
he's such an awesome actor

but i will always remeber him as

Indeed!

stoid7:
I'm looking forward to this. I'm a big fan of both Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. Charlie and the chocolate factory was even better than the original, but I did miss the original oompa loompa songs. Sweeny Todd was good too, but I wasn't expecting the whole musical thing when i first saw it, none of the commercials showed them singing.

Sweeney Todd was a musical to begin with... But I'm starting to feel that Johnny Depp doesn't do much actual acting. He's the same characters over and over again. I enjoyed Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because it was something out of the ordinary for him: a creative character.

Tim Burton works with Johnny Depp a lot, doesn't he?
Edward Scissorhands, Sweeny Tood, Charlie and the chocolate factory...

I bet this movie will be amazing. I love Tim Burton's work.
And if Alan Rickman is in it, that's just a plus.

ccesarano:

Because, y'know, the "original" Willy Wonka had SO MUCH to do with the original book, as opposed to Burton's flick.

Yep.

actually besides the back story of his dad being a dentist it was pretty close to the book, he DID have a lot to do with the story since he was leading the tour

Does anyone else think the Mad Hatter looks likes Sweeney Todd?

Need... must... have... johnny... watch... now...

> What?
>> Shrill
>>> heh I shall stop now!
>>>> Then stop
>>>>> Ok
>>>>>> Shhh!
>>>>>>> NO!
>>>>>>>> WTF?!?!?!????

I think he will do a great job, he is a good actor.

On a side note... WHY GOD WHY?!?!?!?

Alice in Wonderland is my favorite book and I especially love that not big name, ultra payed actors/ directors have tried to adapt it to a film. Admittedly if anyone it should be Tim Burton but do you guys think he will just turn it into an ultra dark, crrpy film that is only loosely based on the book? I think that it could be good but I really did not want this to happen. I will watch it if only to see my hope and dreams fall before me.

Burton+Depp+Wonderland=win?

We shall see.

Simply amazing. I love Depp, I think he's a terrific actor, and he's partnership/friendship with Burton has created some very memorable roles. And acting alongside with Bonham Carter and Rickman again? AND Hathaway?

DAMN, I want to act so badly. . .

I HATE Johnny Depp
Can there be one, just ONE weird/cool/creepy movie that he doesn't sneak into?
I mean I'm pretty sure if he had his way HE would have played Alice.

Godamn him, he ruined pirates and now he's ruining classic opium fueled english literature
is nothing sacred?

He absolutely butchered Willy Wonka, I mean the writing was crap in that movie but did Depp really have to be a friggin' creeper like
EVERY time he gets in front of a camera?

You know who else is creepy and who can actually act? Steve Buscemi, Alan Rickman, Willem Defoe
Willem Defoe would make an AWESOME mad hatter! You know its true!

I just really want Johnny Depp to stop doing the same role in every movie he's quintessentially a skinny, creepy Ben Stiller.

and seriously Tim Burton, I love you but please admit you have wet dreams about Johnny Depp, your not fooling anyone.

(and yes i'm aware all you fanboys/girls hate me now)

I've heard a lot of different kinds of criticism about Johnny Depp over the years, but this is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone even suggest he was anything but the best part of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

Malygris:
I've heard a lot of different kinds of criticism about Johnny Depp over the years, but this is honestly the first time I've ever heard anyone even suggest he was anything but the best part of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

"Jack sparrow is the most 2-dimensional character in a "popular" movie I have ever seen, the executives of the 1st pirates movie found out exactly what the audience liked i.e. Johnny Depp wobbling around and spouting quirky catch phrases and decided to make that the ENTIRETY of the sub-par 2nd and God awful 3rd movies. By the halfway mark of the 2nd film he basicly parodiezes his own character unintentionaly.
and notice how i said Johnny Depp ruined PIRATES, not Pirates of the Carribean. Pirates are cool, Pirates of the Carribean is lame and drawn out and I will allways remember seeing "Worlds End" as the day i discovered a movie trilogy with a more drawn out ending than lord of the rings.

A few sources mention that this may or may not even be how depp will look, as the movie would incorporate live action with motion capture like Beowulf, so this could just be an artists rendition, or a concept costume.

Source
Source (With a link to other actual shots from the set...just two)
Source, no picture but states the same thing about motion caputure

So, am I the only person who thinks this is going to be shit now? The Mad Hatter was supposed to be loud, practically making his presence known. Quirky and creepy with a little twist behind every sentence. Is Johnny Whisperstoomuch really a good adaptation? Methinks not. Tim Burton just needs to crawl in the dark hole that keeps spawning HD versions of Nightmare Before Christmas and DIE!

Okay, err... did I got redirected to some movie news website or what?
I think when people commented on the lack of news here, they meant video games news you know.

I quite like Depp as an actor, I think he's really quite good. Will he be the right person for the role as the Mad Hatter? We shall see when the film comes out, until then I'm going to hope it doesn't get fucked up and this is a film that people will remember as one of those good remakes you hear people talking fondly about for years afterwards.

Not really impressed by the photo. Guess it doesn't fit my tastes. Depp looks like more a homeless clown than a lunatic, but I find that oddly appropriate for Burton's hight-hearted darkness. Still might see the movie, I do love Burton films.

All depends on how Alice is. I'm a huge fan of all three, but attempted gestalts have a habit of turning all the constituents to pap.

And Gene Wilder beats the living pants out of him for Willy Wonka.

Depp does in fact usually play some weird and/or peculiar roles.

I admire him for being so versatile and successfully executing so many different characters.

But being the Mad Hatter does not impress me.

Now...if he were to play Alice. THAT I'd like to see and would be impressive.

Malygris:

He wasn't the best part of the films. Before I got tired of everyone fangirling (and sometimes fanboying) over him, I thought we was amusing but nothing more. I'd criticize his character in the second and third films, but honestly, that would be unfair since the character development in both of those sucked.

For me, there is only the first Pirates movie.

As for Johnny Depp himself, I'm just tired of him being in every film. Then again, I liked when Tim Burton did the Planet of the Apes remake. Granted it wasn't as great as the original, missing a lot of the actual commentary being made and going for just Hollywood fun, but hey, it was a fun movie, and it wasn't the typical "everything must look Goth!" type of film.

This? This is going to spawn a shit ton of Hot Topic merchandise before it is even released with a bunch of teens that never even read the book (though gotta admit I haven't either) declaring it as the best piece of motion art ever.

It really is hard for me not to judge someone when they declare love for Burton and/or Depp. It basically says "lookit me, I'm a hopeless little goth boy/girl that likes things because society tells me it fits with my image".

ccesarano:

fluffylandmine:

Yep.

As for this, my first thought was "Why doesn't he just team up with American McGee?...in fact, hasn't American McGee been working on Alice as a film since forever? Huh...".

This is a much better role for Depp than Sweeny Todd was. I got to see the original play and the play Into the Woods by the same writer, and they were awesome. But Depp as Sweeny Todd was a horrid casting choice. Depp is the wrong kind of insane to play Todd.

I hated the book and loved the original(strange), but I will agree on the whole American McGee idea.

After Sweeney Todd, I will see everything that Depp and Burton team up in from now on. Bring it on, it looks deliciously mad

Indigo_Dingo:
After Sweeney Todd, I will see everything that Depp and Burton team up in from now on. Bring it on, it looks deliciously mad

After Sweeney Todd AND Corpse Bride, you mean. Both were excellent, in my opinion.

Arbre:
Okay, err... did I got redirected to some movie news website or what?
I think when people commented on the lack of news here, they meant video games news you know.

No, you didn't get redirected to a movie news website. But the name of the forum is "The News Room", not "The Video Game News Room".

Sounds interesting. The Disney movie weirded me out royally, I wonder what this'll be like.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here