Dead Space Demo Coming Soon

Dead Space Demo Coming Soon

Gamers still torn over whether or not to sink their bucks into the survival horror splatterfest Dead Space will find the decision gets a little easier tomorrow when EA launches a free downloadable demo of the game for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Released in October, Dead Space follows the adventures of the subtly-named Isaac Clarke, an engineer who finds himself confronting an alien infestation that turns humans into grotesque monsters called "necromorphs." The gore-filled game received some bonus attention soon after release when Executive Producer Glen Schofield said the mutilated bodies in the game looked so realistic because the development team spent time poring over photos of real mangled bodies. "This sounds horrible, but we had to go look at pictures of car accidents and war scenes and things like that because we had to get it right," he said. "We had to portray scenes of terrible carnage and realism."

Dead Space has received widespread critical acclaim and high review scores since its release, including a nomination for "Best Action Adventure Game" for Spike TV's upcoming 2008 Video Game Awards. The demo will be released worldwide over the Xbox Live Marketplace on November 25; the PlayStation Store in North America will offer it on the same day, while it will be available via the PlayStation Store in Europe on November 27. Sorry, PC gamers: Jino Talens of EA says the publisher has no plans to release the demo on PC.

I've never understood why developers have been severely lacking in demos as of late. Fallout 3 I can understand because of its open nature, but this I do not understand.

According to System Requirements Lab I have a borderline computer to play this and I would much prefer to test it before buying as opposed to buying it as a test. Getting a PS3/360 is out of the picture before people say that due to lack of money at Uni.

Silly Question time:

Does a PC demo of Dead Space exist? I had a quick search on Google and the Dead Space website but turned up nothing, yes I am eternally hopeful.

Silly answer time: Like the EA guy said, no demo for the PC.

I can haz demo A MONTH TOO LATE?

TsunamiWombat:

Seriously, what's up with all the demos coming out after the game is released?

Jumplion:

TsunamiWombat:

It's because the sales aren't as high as expected or desired and the publishers tell the devs to make a demo so that they can make mo' money.

I do feel a little bad for EA not quite getting the sales they want, Dead Space is a really solid Action/Adventure title.

So why exactly is there not going to be a PC demo?! Isn't the whole point of a demo that it gets 'pirated' and as such people hear of the game, and decide to buy it? Or is the PC version so entangled with DRM that they can't release it as a demo (because people will sue EA for putting irremovable software on their computer for a demo; c.f. Spore Creature Creator)?

I'm still looking for a place I can rent it from.

At bloody last. I was wanting to try this.

Jumplion:

TsunamiWombat:

Demos take a little while to put together, or so I'm told. Maybe the publishers don't want to delay the release. Or maybe they don't want people playing the demo, and saying, "nah, I'll pass" without giving them any money.

PedroSteckecilo:
I do feel a little bad for EA not quite getting the sales they want, Dead Space is a really solid Action/Adventure title.

EA are scum and sympathy is wasted on them.

look what they did with all the securom bullsh*t (I am still considering whether or not to buy RA3), and so many devs followed suit.

They can burn in the sixth level of hell for all i care

Break:
At bloody last. I was wanting to try this.

Jumplion:

TsunamiWombat:

Demos take a little while to put together, or so I'm told. Maybe the publishers don't want to delay the release. Or maybe they don't want people playing the demo, and saying, "nah, I'll pass" without giving them any money.

I'm still of the belief that is a lie. Because the only source on that so far is Cliffy B.

Break:

they don't take long to get going, it's a bit of extra coding and not too much to do, ie you just stop the game at a certain point instead of advancing to the next lvl

as for dead space, you should get the game and play it with the lights turned off in the dark

Huh. And here I thought that the demo's intention was to build opening sales. Apparently it's purpose it to milk up remaining potentials.

And in all irony, I wonder how many people pirated 'Space for consideration of purchasing.

From my mediocre meh response to it's debut trailer to Yahtzee's meh review, it's not exactly been on my to get list. And a demo isn't really going to change that.

But that's precisely the point of a post-release demo, and I don't think that's unreasonable or unfair on the part of the publisher.

At launch, you have a certain number of consumers who are going to buy your product anyway: They want it, they preordered it, they're waiting in line to pick it up. No need for a demo there. And if you get a proper return on the game solely through that (say, if you just released GTA IV), then problem solved, no demo required. But if not, then a month or two down the road it's probably a safe bet that you're not going to pick up any more significant numbers strictly on the strength of your pre-launch campaign. Thus it becomes time for a demo.

The developer probably isn't doing a hell of a lot, maybe working on a patch or something, so there's time to put together something decent. Maybe your sales didn't meet expectations but you did achieve a solid critical response, heightening the interest in demo - this appears to be the case with Dead Space, where the game seems to be well-liked by those who've played it but not widely played because it's not a recognizable franchise. So after you've capitalized on your launch, you put out a demo to give people who are still on the fence a go at the thing without having to pay for it. Sounds like a decent idea to me.

And what's the alternative? So many pre-release demos come with warnings about how they "don't represent the quality of the final product" or somesuch. What the hell is the point, then? I don't want a demo that shows me what a game was like before it entered beta, I want a look at the final product. If that means waiting, I'm okay with it.

I'm not complaining that they're releasing a demo, it just seems odd they'de launch it after the game went retail. At least there IS a demo.

A little late, but I'll prolly play it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here