World's Oldest Lolcat Found

Pages 1 2 NEXT

World's Oldest Lolcat Found

Historians have discovered the world's oldest Lolcat, but are sad to report that it's not any funnier than the rest of them.

Discovered in a Seattle antiques store by Tracy Angulo, the old-time Lolcat is actually a postcard that dates back to 1905, featuring a dress-wearing cat sitting in a high chair. "What's delaying my dinner?" the cat wonders as she cranes her neck ever so slightly in the direction of the kitchen and the source of her impatience. It seems that even 100 years ago, it was awfully hard for a cat to has cheezburger.

It may not be comedy genius, but proper spelling and grammar aside, it's very much a Lolcat, and true fans even have a shot of owning their very own: The very same postcard was recently auctioned by a U.K.-based seller on eBay, where it sold for only $1.50.

(Full disclosure: Okay, I admit it, Lolcats are funny.)

Source: I Can Has Cheezburger

...Thats awesome.

So it's not our generation....

I just had an image of ancient Egyptian carving of a cat in a cagewith the words "Epic Fail" in hieroglyphs underneath.

By Jov! This will be the day you tell your grandchildren how you were there when they found the oldest Lolcat!

Actually, they originated back to the Egyptian times.
People used to worship them back them, and I believe pictures of cats were engraved on to bowls and jugs, with writing underneath. Or so I was taught.

...That was me attempting to be interrlec- interllec- inter... er...Clever.

wait what? I am really confused...

sad to think the origional lolcat hasnt been bettered, just suffered from butchered grammer & spelling.

I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?

Yeah, didn't the basic gist of cats and blurbs of text originate in ancient Egypt? I mean, surely they had at least one image of a cat saying to a man bowing to him, "I am hungry" or "Where are my food offerings?"

Wouldn't that technically be the first lolcat?

TheBadass:
I love this, I really do. Who wants to bet that some time soon we'll find a mudkip or something in a tomb, with some dead guy desperate to show us it?

Congratulations, you just made me lol (sans cat). :)

TheBadass:

You mean like this?

Hahah, nice. So humans have always thought it funny to make cats look weird :P

Awesomeness in its purest form.

I thought they originated as a comic strip, the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/sets/72157600296941365/

Wow, the worlds oldest Lolcat...Wow....It's amazing...

Ahaha, I loves me some lolcats :P

Oh god, which is funnier, the worlds oldest lolcat, or the worlds pseudo oldest Mudkips... hmmm.

bkd69:
I thought they originated as a comic strip, the Laugh-Out-Loud Cats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apelad/sets/72157600296941365/

Nah, lolcats come from a 4chan meme called Caturday, every saturday pics of cats were posted on 4chan. Like shoop da woop, mudkips, chocolate rain, over 9000, the rickroll and many other internet fads it started as a meme on the website before becoming mainstream.

SomeBritishDude:
I just had an image of ancient Egyptian carving of a cat in a cagewith the words "Epic Fail" in hieroglyphs underneath.

Exactly what I was thinking. I feel slightly disappointed.

OH GOD, EVEN THE PREVIOUS GENERATIONS WEREN'T IMMUNE TO THE HORROR OF THE LOLCAT....AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Apparently back then type was smaller and had better copy editing. Vintage.

I thought this was a joke to begin with...

...Damn awesome.

It's rather funny, our ancestors seem to have millions of ways to fuck with us.

IT'S A GOD DAMNED CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

Wouldn't it be cool if in an old egyptian tomb we found a picture of a guy with the Shoop Da Whoop mouth shooting a lazer at someone with the accompanying heiroglyphic saying "Imma Firin Mah Lazor. Blagh."

At the risk of getting banned, I feel I must point this out. This, is true irony, correct?

A post about the world's oldest Lolcat, and someone goes and necros a three year old post. Kudos to you Dfskelleton, kudos! The dark gods would be proud.

Sure, it's the world's oldest lolcat now, but wait until archeologists discover a pertinent cave drawing.

Ongaru:
It's rather funny, our ancestors seem to have millions of ways to fuck with us.

IT'S A GOD DAMNED CONSPIRACY I TELL YOU!

He knows! Kill him!

It's nice to know that things haven't changed that much. Just so far as morality goes.

SirBryghtside:

manythings:
It's not a new thing it was found in 2008;

http://icanhascheezburger.com/2008/12/01/funny-pictures-oldest-ever-lolcat-found/

*Points at article date*

I can has Necroing a wrathable offence?

My bad, it popped up as new and I didn't check the date.

awesome, here's hoping a mudkip painting from that era pops up aswell, though that will probably fuck with pokémon logic a bit.

EmileeElectro:
Actually, they originated back to the Egyptian times.
People used to worship them back them, and I believe pictures of cats were engraved on to bowls and jugs, with writing underneath. Or so I was taught.

...That was me attempting to be interrlec- interllec- inter... er...Clever.

People have made images of cats for thousands of years, but none of them thought to put a funny caption underneath pertaining to how the cat might feel if they were human.

Dfskelleton:
Wouldn't it be cool if in an old egyptian tomb we found a picture of a guy with the Shoop Da Whoop mouth shooting a lazer at someone with the accompanying heiroglyphic saying "Imma Firin Mah Lazor. Blagh."

FUCKING NECRO! Great, now I hope the person I quoted doesn't think I'm a dirty dirty necro.

Wouldn't it be odd to see a rickroll before Rick Astley was even BORN?!?! :O

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or