The Coolest Steampunk Mouse You'll See All Day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Coolest Steampunk Mouse You'll See All Day

A chap by the name of Paradox has designed and built what could very well be the world's greatest custom-built mouse, a Steampunk design with wood and brass construction that incorporates a real mouse skeleton.

On display at his blog, the mouse features a wooden base mounted to a body made of brass tubing and I-beam shaped pieces, while vintage typewriter keys emblazoned with alchemy symbols serve as the buttons. The scroll wheel is covered by two hollowed clock gears and a thin strip of brass, and remains fully functional as both a wheel and a fifth mouse button.

After that, it gets a bit weird. The builder just happened to have a complete mouse skeleton in a box (hey, don't ask me) and decided to incorporate parts of it into the design. The mouse skull was affixed to a large gear which was then placed over the device's circuit board, and an LED was inserted through a small hole drilled in the skull, making it glow when the mouse is moved. The creature's spine was laid into the mouse "rib cage," running the length of the device, while the rodent's shoulder blades were attached to the front, where the wire connects. Finally, a pair of 9mm shells were attached to the back for added decoration.

Tying up the package is the mouse pad, made from scrap Victorian wooden trim, brass trims and rivets, and mini wood corbels purchased at a local hobby shop. The whole package took roughly 22 hours to assemble at a cost of $40-50, using just a bench grinder, a Dremel, coping saw and a lot of JB Weld. Oh, if only I had that sort of talent - but I can't even sew a bantha.

You can see this awesome Steampunk computer mouse in all its glory at The Tentacles. While you're there, be sure to have a look at his neo-Victorian keyboard and monitor, an earlier project that actually inspired the construction of the mouse. This stuff is not to be missed.

(Thanks to Boing-Boing for the hookup.)

The spine bumps look uncomfy

Alas, only 100 years to late... That thing wouldn't have looked out of place in a Victorian Household... Hell he could probably leave it in a Victorian Museum and no one would know that it wasn't an exhibit.

Am I weird if I want that mouse?

Ralackk:
I'm I weird if I want that mouse?

Am I wied for agreeing with you

Looks really awesome....I think I'm happy with never having to use it though.

That's more than just a little sexy.

Delta4845:

Ralackk:

Am I weird for looking at what I type before posting? ;-)

thats cool as, except the whole actual dead mouse bits. even if they're fake, that's still creepy.

Um....that is really fucking cool. I just....want it for some reason....

KarmicToast:

Delta4845:

Ralackk:

Am I weird for looking at what I type before posting? ;-)

A little bit. My original message has been edited so the world will no longer collapse in on itself.

After looking at this guy's entire steampunk setup I, well, I'm just going to say it: I want to rob this man blind. This stuff of his looks amazing and I want it. This guy could make a hell of a lot of money of he custom made stuff like this for people.

Oh, and if that guy went out and killed that mouse just so he could use the skeleton for this, that makes it all sorts of epic.

It looks awesome, but a little bit less than practical.

Wasn't there a full computer setup designed with a steampunk theme a while back? Or was it just a custom keyboard that looked like a typewriter?

I don't even care about the practicality of this setup. It's fucking sweet and I need it.

Sylocat:
Wasn't there a full computer setup designed with a steampunk theme a while back? Or was it just a custom keyboard that looked like a typewriter?

http://www.neoversum.com/neoworld/files/page3_blog_entry4_1.jpg

Yes, there are many, some boring, others pure sex. ^^ My favorite so far, put that mouse on it, and bam, I love you.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=steampunk+computers

That mouse looks uncomfortable.

sheic99:
That mouse looks uncomfortable.

That mouse looks downright painful!

That mouse looks totally uncomfortable and impractical. But I still want it.

That's fucking awesome, I love it. I would never actually use it for fear of breaking it, but it's an amazing piece of art. The other stuff he made is really cool too.

Ralackk:

Heck no. I'll fight you for it.

While it's an amazing piece of art, I doubt that even the most liberal steampunk renditions would actually feature an input device like this. Steampunk computers should be run by punch cards and mechanical switches. Sort of like the Zuse Z3, but put back in time about four decades.

That mouse disturbs me for reasons I'm not quite sure of...

I want one......

Wow, that is the most awesome thing I've seen all week...

A Steampunk mouse with a real mouse...

Vanguard1219:
After looking at this guy's entire steampunk setup I, well, I'm just going to say it: I want to rob this man blind. This stuff of his looks amazing and I want it. This guy could make a hell of a lot of money of he custom made stuff like this for people.

Oh, and if that guy went out and killed that mouse just so he could use the skeleton for this, that makes it all sorts of epic.

Hmm, time to go stock up on robbing gear.
You can have the mouse, I'll take his monitor and keyboard.

Excuse me, must go wipe up drool...

zomg. I am pretty sure I have the perfect outfit to wear while sitting at my neo-victorian computer, using my neo-victorian keyboard and mouse. Want now! Please!

Dear God, it's beautiful!

Seriously, that is amazing

It's very pretty, but we're missing the big picture here. Where's my matching Steampunk Computer?

It took me a while to realise you were talking about an actual rodent skeleton...
Hey, don't look at me like that, I'm tired :P

Ralackk:

I need it.

Hmm would work well with my steampunk CRT

That is pretty awesome. Although when using a mouse, I never look at it, I only feel it; Having a mouse that feels smooth and has an ergonomic design is more important than one that looks cool. But I'm sure he didn't make it for practical reasons.

Sweet.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or