Alternate Endings: Choose Your Own iPhone Adventure

Alternate Endings: Choose Your Own iPhone Adventure

iPhone gamers might find something to like in Alternate Endings, a Choose Your Own Adventure-style murder-mystery that plays out like an interactive movie.

Available from the iPhone App Store, Alternate Endings crosses between a movie, a game and a puzzle, with 16 different storylines, five unique endings and a running time of anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes. "There's a whole spectrum between movies and video games," Greg Townsend, the man behind the project, told mental_floss. "If people are going to experience some sort of media, do they want to just sit and watch it, or do they want to interact with it? A game is on one end of that, a movie is on the other end of that. So we're playing in the middle of the spectrum."

We probably don't want to read too much into this, but Alternate Endings is the second "choose your own ending" game built around live-action video that we've seen in the past few weeks. Admittedly, the YouTube-based Time Machine is significantly shorter and simpler, but you don't need an iPhone to play it, either. With inexpensive, high-quality video cameras and shameless friends looking for some quick internet fame both in ready supply, could we be looking at the beginning of a new kind of homebrew interactive entertainment?

A quick preview of Alternate Endings is available via YouTube, or if you do happen to have an iPhone and want to see the real thing in action, you can download it from the App Store here.

When they wput this movie into cinemas, then I'll be impressed.

Nimbus:

My thoughts exactly. It would be pretty sweet to pick the end of any movie.

Why do I get a weird feeling it's going to evolve into a poorly-acted FMV game?

I dislike the iPhone so much right now. So very, very much. Apple's gearing up to ruin the world of gaming. I'd appreciate their efforts a bit more if they'd added a proper bloody hardware layout, and didn't hold every piece of software hostage with the sort of DRM which would have the Free Software Foundation taking up arms - because that's what the iPhone App Store is, you know: A form of DRM.

since it's not stated in the story, the price is $1.99

I love choose your own adventure! I just released a choose your own adventure story player and creator, for the iPhone and iPod touch. You can make your own CYOA stories and even complete text adventures.
Check it out at http://istoryweb.appspot.com, or search for iStory on the app store!

Nimbus:

remember the movie in futurama where the audience votes for their own outcome? That's what'd be like.

Gotham Soul:
Why do I get a weird feeling it's going to evolve into a poorly-acted FMV game?

Evolve? I think it's already there. After reading the other article about The Last Express, this lump of filth stands out like a sore thumb. I know I'm not supposed to knock a 'game' without playing it, given what we have to work with, I think a fair assessment can be made. This is exactly what's wrong with live-action in videogames. Granted, it's probably really hard to get decent actors on board (ones professional enough to forgive the choice of medium and not let it affect their performance) something that's only going to be played on the dumbest of the dumbed-down smart-phones, but it doesn't even seem like the crew could be bothered to take this seriously. Have FMV games left such a bad taste in our mouths that no one wants to try to prove wrong the unwashed masses who demand quality yet never change.

The interactive adventure film genre (and live-action sequences in games in general) needs a swift kick to the backside, and putting something like this for something like the iPhone is not going to do that. I'd say it's more like a swing and a miss, but this thing looks like it won't even think about trying to swing.

(side note: the only game series that genuinely gets away with "subpar performances" is Command and Conquer: Red Alert, because that game is never supposed to take itself seriously, and we love it for that.)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here