Wii Comes of Age

Wii Comes of Age

Take Two is looking at bringing M titles to the Wii.

There are some things that would seem not to go together, like sausages and custard, or perhaps the Wii with blood and gore, especially after the fiasco that was Manhunt 2.

With the Wii being marketed as a "family friendly console," it takes a brave man to try and push titles that would make most families want to cover young Jimmy's eyes and switch off in horror.

Take Two is attempting to be that man, with the release of GTA: Chinatown Wars. Closely watching its release on the DS (another family friendly console,) GTA:CW will see if there is a viable market for M-rated games on the two consoles; if it succeeds, gamers should look for more to come.

Both Bully and Manhunt 2 have already been released to rather lackluster sales, but neither have the pull of a GTA title, and that's where Take Two is poking its barrel at the moment.

Perhaps one of the biggest obstacles to overcome is the Wiimote or the DS Stylus. It's one thing to use the PC keyboard or the console keypad to simulate attacks; but with the Stylus or Wiimote, the actions will be that little step closer to mimicking the real actions.

And I'm sure most of you can think of a couple of extra uses as well...

Source: 1up

Should we be happy?

I... I honestly don't know if this is a good thing or not

we'll just have to see when the game comes out

chinatown wars looks quite nice for the ds, haven't seen what the wii is like yet

Well im buying GTA:CW so that we get a GTA Wii.

Having no DS, I suppose this is a good thing.

ill wait for the review on this one before i try it out. It says that the game is a huge scale sandbox for the DS capabilities, so it might be pretty neat to see how it plays out.

It will be interesting to say the least. But there has been a rise of mature games being released on the Wii but they are so spread out people will not notice.

I don't see this really working out well.

Such a shame, Bully is one of the best titles out for the Wii right now and it goes unloved. I liked Manhunt 2 in the sense that it ended up being intellectually interesting, not much fun to play though.

I wonder how MadWorld will be received.

As long as Chinatown Wars is more of the silly GTA and not the gritty GTA-IV style I think it could do well

If you remember, children, there was a time when things like Splatterhouse, Mortal Kombat and Conker's Bad Fur Day were released on Nintendo consoles and no-one twitched an eyelid (apart from the ones that didn't realise Splatterhouse wasn't for kids...). What the hell is the problem? I want more violent games on the Wii! It's a gaming console, not just a stupid gimmicky little toy!

Or at least it was supposed to be until Nintendo sold out big time...

although i'm not a fan of the GTA series i'm hoping this will make other gory, and hopefully horror, games come to the wii.

The Daily Mail ran a furious article about MadWorld not too long ago, fuming that an 'M' rated game was being released for the Wii, and that it should remain family friendly.

Listen, nobody is forcing you to play it. And, for the record, No More Heroes was violent and a Wii exclusive.

Full article here for your disgruntled reading disgruntlement.

Johnn Johnston:
The Daily Mail ran a furious article about MadWorld not too long ago, fuming that an 'M' rated game was being released for the Wii, and that it should remain family friendly.

Listen, nobody is forcing you to play it. And, for the record, No More Heroes was violent and a Wii exclusive.

Ah, the Daily Mail, what a bastion of bigotry and delusion.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Johnn Johnston:

agreed

i think this is all irrelevant to myself seeing as I have hated Nintendo since the Gamecube (although I must admit I loved things like super monkey ball and pikmin and all that at the time) but really, I don't think it matters what comes out on the DS or the Wii. Their control styles are both gimmicks and their graphical power is inferior. I mean, I first saw Mad World and thought ,"Great! A title for the Wii that won't suck" but then obviously, gameplay footage came out. I know they were going for a 'sin-city-esque' aesthetic, but it still looks terrible. Games like that ran far better on the last generation consoles.

Overall, I think that Nintendo can make all the half-arsed M-Rated titles they want, but if I want REAL gore I would play Gears2 on my 360, or (when it comes out) play Killzone 2 at a friends. Mature games require power, Nintendo's consoles don't have that power, I don't want to bust a rediculously awesome headshot only to see a shit load of pixels come out of a Nazi's head, I want something that actually looks like brain matter.

Im a mature gamer. If I want power I go to the gym or tape some weights around my Wiimote ;) Games are for fun and entertainment-if I want to see brain I go to the butcher.

I am looking forward to more M-rated releases on the Wii.

Oh, wait, hold on. Let me qualify that statement. I am looking forward to more good M-rated games on the Wii. No More Heroes 2 will I'm sure be quite fun I have recently been touting it as the only M-rated game on the Wii because I forgot about games that completely went under my radar and were swiftly forgotten.

So for the record I think there is certainly room for M-rated games on the Wii. Hardcore gamers and Nintendo fanboys bought the console before it had erected its 'family fun ONLY' facade... But what I want to see much more than that are some new, good games.

... Aaaand a Wii God of War or similar kind of title title making use of the controllers motion functionality would mean I'd never ask for another thing for the rest of my miserable life. <.< Just sayin'.

lol Wii God of War, quickest way to carpal tunnel I have ever heard of.

l33tabix:
lol Wii God of War, quickest way to carpal tunnel I have ever heard of.

Oh, c'mon. You have to admit, it'd be totally sweet... Swing the wii-mote and nunchuk for blade swings, quick-time kill events would be more visceral and fun... like pull the controllers away from one another to rip a little soldier in half, or twist and yank to tear the head off of a medusa...

^^; I've given some thought to this. It's probably my biggest never-gonna-come-true video game fantasy ever. ^^;

it'd definately require that wii motion plus thing for twisting your blades and what not. The new GoW looks interesting, might have to invest in a PS3 for that seeing as I still play GoWII occaisionally.

Nah, I don't think so... God of War has never really been about precision, and the fighting style is basically just wildly swinging around. It wouldn't be bad if it just had simple wiimote-nunchuk-wiimote or wiimote-wiimote-nunchuk type combos, with the stick for movement and buttons for more precise things like magic, grabbing, jumping and whatnot.

I think its going to be a good thing. One of the biggest markets for games is the 19 - 24 year old, Students with disposable incomes and all that. realistically it's an awesome idea, as long as it gets good promotion the Wii might finally be able to have a foothold in "hardcore" game market. As long as the Wiimote and that works well with it that is.

Johnn Johnston:

Daily Mail= Stupid Paper, for stupid people =D!
tards: "OMG the wii is so stupid, it has no grown up games it is just for kids"
Normal Person: "Actually the are many wii exclusives that are particularly renowned for their violence"
tard: "ZOMFG WTF?! wii is supposed to be for kids!" ..."p.s I watch x factor"

People are never happy.

The_root_of_all_evil:

Johnn Johnston:

I wonder...

If 100 Escapists sent in e-mails or letters raging about a certain thing (made up, of course), with the letters and e-mails containing enough information to write a full article on, what are the odds that The Daily Mail would go to print with it? Low, but not so low that it would be an exercise in pointlessness. They aren't exactly world-reknowned for their fact checking;

"The 13-year-old schoolboy used petrol to set light to three vehicles after playing on the violent GTA 4: Liberty City game on his home PC."

That is from an article with the headline reading that the boy set fire to cars after "watching Grand Theft Auto video game"

Johnn Johnston:

If 100 Escapists sent in e-mails or letters raging about a certain thing (made up, of course),

The frightening thing is that two of us could do it, if we just included some of their "buzzwords" like "asylum seekers".

The_root_of_all_evil:

Johnn Johnston:

If 100 Escapists sent in e-mails or letters raging about a certain thing (made up, of course),

The frightening thing is that two of us could do it, if we just included some of their "buzzwords" like "asylum seekers".

...we can do this, man. We can do this.

Johnn Johnston:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Johnn Johnston:

With great power come...ah, screw it. Good fun to be had by all.

LewsTherin:

Johnn Johnston:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Johnn Johnston:

With great power come...ah, screw it. Good fun to be had by all.

The question is, would the mods mind if I started a thread to test this... experiment? Yeah, let's call it an experiment.

But what exactly are we going to complaint about? Maybe we can make the people who keep yelling "murder simulator" everytime they see a game look evil by writing that videogames improve hand-eye co-ordination and that the naysayers are employed by tv executives who fear loosing their viewers to people with consoles and therefor try to destroy the market and are partialy responsible for the economic crisis. Yes, that would work.

Needs to be more subtle. How about the British Film Industry is falling on hard times due to the credit crunch, and with the writer's strike/postal strike taking hold, the film industry are using cheap labour from the pool of illegal immigrants to try and kickstart the industry.
The problem being that Eastenders and the rest will be featuring more stories on asylum seekers, with shows like "The Bill" showing a positive side to rescuing people from fascist regimes?

The_root_of_all_evil:
Needs to be more subtle. How about the British Film Industry is falling on hard times due to the credit crunch, and with the writer's strike/postal strike taking hold, the film industry are using cheap labour from the pool of illegal immigrants to try and kickstart the industry.
The problem being that Eastenders and the rest will be featuring more stories on asylum seekers, with shows like "The Bill" showing a positive side to rescuing people from fascist regimes?

Something like that. Or something to tickle their "coming over 'ere, stealin' our jobs" gland. Perhaps something about illegal immigrants being given priority over UK-born citizens in job applications in a new Government-run scheme? We'd need something to make them hurry; perhaps saying that we'd go to The Mirror if the story hadn't been run within three days, in order to "get the truth out to the people as fast as possible". Howzat?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here