Warm Up With the Xbox 360 Fireplace

Warm Up With the Xbox 360 Fireplace

Missing that cozy holiday ambiance in your drafty apartment? Drop 400 Microsoft Points, download this virtual fireplace and snuggle up with your loved ones in front of the HDTV.

Boasting "realistic smoldering embers and flickering flames", the virtual fireplace, developed by XNA user SniperED007, even has the soothing crackle-and-pop of a fireplace, all without the hassle of actually having to light a fire or owning a fireplace. "Enjoy the awesome ambiance of a crackling fireplace in your living room...[the fireplace] sets the perfect backdrop for a relaxing evening," Microsoft writes. Since when is "ambiance" something that's described as "awesome?"

The Xbox Live Snow Globe was one thing - it uses Avatars in a cute way, and it's free. This is fairly ridiculous. So, alright. I plop down five bucks (or download the demo) for this and, since my 360 is hooked up to a gigantic TV, I now have a fake fireplace that's five feet across in the middle of my living room. Maybe it'll work as an icebreaker during awkward Christmas party conversations.

"So uh, that's a pretty realistic fireplace."

"Yeah, it's just the demo. I bet the full one is even better, I was just too cheap to spend the money on it."

To be fair, however, plenty of folk spend more than $5 on fake fireplace DVDs and even fake fireplace displays. So embrace the next generation of transparently phony Christmas ambiance and give the Xbox 360 Fireplace a try. Bonus if you've got an older 360, because then it even comes with genuine physical heat: just put your hands or your feet near the console and soak in the warmth generated by that shoddy heatsink!

[Via Major Nelson]

I believe an HDTV will provide a decent amount of heat

I saw this online yesterday!

What are the restrictions of the demo?
Only goes for 3 minutes before sputtering out?
A 'DEMO' sign on the top?

Because why would you pay the full amount for it...if the demo works fine?
I guess there MUST be a limitation.

This seems like a pretty good way to throw away some money.

About damn time. Now to get me a comfy seat and try to roast me up some popcorn, while having a chat to the Nation.

Or I could sit in front of my TV, turn up the thermostat and eat some pop corn. I wonder if anyone will actually buy this?

I actually own one of those "Fireplace on DVD" thingies, so this is kind of useless.

And you guys say HOME is useless :D

So I could buy this, or put on my fireplace behind my xbox. Wonder which one I will choose when it gets cold.

klc0100:

That's because it is, as is this.

If they also included the option of throwing avatars onto the thing and watching the little bastards scream in agony as the flames consume them, I'd throw my money down in a second.

i downloaded the demo its the same thing with "buy now" written on the bottum left. and the cracks sound like smacks rofl

Aardvark:
If they also included the option of throwing avatars onto the thing and watching the little bastards scream in agony as the flames consume them, I'd throw my money down in a second.

OMFG that would rock the socks

I'll buy it, with the awesome power of disposable income! And after that, I'm going to Burger King!

Or you could just leave your XBox on until it bursts into flames, instead.

there are almost four hundred thousand things i'd use my Hd tv for. this is at 201,456. why use it for a fireplace if you've got one. then again, not everybody has one. still, you're not missing that much.

Does it come with achievements?

Hankage:

I tried that, but them my PS3 started growing cobwebs

lol they sell DVDs for this

I might buy a fake, realistic looking fish tank (kind of like Tetris Splash but with better graphics more fish & no Tetris) or pay for a X-Box Live link to a web cam on a tropical reef, as a screen saver, but not a fireplace.

Without the warmth, smell and glow (and risk/thrill of it possible getting out of control) of a real fire, it's not the same at all, in fact it seems pretty boring.

Dommyboy:

Achievement Earned: Fire Place Watcher

Bell has a free High Def channel dedicated to this... but at least that plays a different Christmas carol every few minutes.

Hankage:

Ironically my 360 has a problem that it won't show any kind of image once I turn it off. Because of this, it's been on for the past two weeks...straight.

Can't say it has 3-lighted yet or burst into flames...but that would result in a somewhat awkward Christmas fireplace :)

Who shells out $5 bucks on a fake fire place?
People who don't have a real one, cause if they did they'd just throw the $5 in there and skip the download time

Achievement unlocked: Wasted 5 bucks!
Achievement unlocked: Too lazy to search the web for looping fireplace videos!
Achievement unlocked: Left system on to over heat and red ring.

But seriously, I lost six 360's in five months of normal playing (thank the machine god for warranties) I'm not risking another 360 on for something I'm pretty sure they have on TV on some random channel.

heliosa:

Dommyboy:

Achievement Earned: Save the trees

heliosa:

Dommyboy:

Jeez, you may as well burn $5 and get the heat off that.

Huh. I thought they just devoted a channel to shit like that. They do here.
Dont pay for this! starting a fire is free.

Great more crap from microsoft,oh well at least they are not screwed up like sony is.

calelogan:

Hankage:

Ironically my 360 has a problem that it won't show any kind of image once I turn it off. Because of this, it's been on for the past two weeks...straight.

Can't say it has 3-lighted yet or burst into flames...but that would result in a somewhat awkward Christmas fireplace :)

Umm...Aren't they not supposed to show images once it's off?

You know, because that would defeat the purpose of it being...y'know, off?

Aries_Split:

calelogan:

Hankage:

Umm...Aren't they not supposed to show images once it's off?

You know, because that would defeat the purpose of it being...y'know, off?

Totally right Aries. What I did mean to say was that It has a problem that only the sound comes out of the console, while no images show up. Naturally that only happens when it's on.

For some reason I typed "off" and created a really stupid sentence. Christmas is over by the way, so I guess there's not much point on putting my 360 on fire. :D

klc0100:

At least we don't have to wait in line for the fireplace :P

AceDiamond:

klc0100:

At least we don't have to wait in line for the fireplace :P

And it doesn't censor words that might inspire racial hate :P

What do you mean this is useless?! I'm so warm next to this thing.

No it's not a placebo effect!

Yes, my T.V. is on fire..

I will personally slap anybody who buys or bought this stupid thing. Seriously, a virtual fire? That's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard, and I did a liberal arts major.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here