Germans Say Violent Games "Landmines for the Soul"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Germans Say Violent Games "Landmines for the Soul"

Responding to the German government's official recognition of games as culture, a group of concerned citizens has released an anti-gaming position paper that argues that violent games are detrimental to the building of a peaceful society and must be banned.

The document, reports GamePolitics, targets the usual suspects - Counter-Strike, DOOM, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and Crysis - and resurrects the theory that FPS games were developed by the U.S. military as a way to condition potential recruits. While the Cologne Declaration strikes the same chord of "harmful to children" all too familiar to gamers on either side of the Atlantic (or Pacific), it goes one step farther in suggesting that violent gaming hampers the building of a peaceful society.

Though conceived by a group of regular German citizens, the position paper has garnered support by several prominent social scientists as well. Researchers who dispute the document's claims and defend gaming are accused of being "collaborators and accomplices" of the games industry, aiding violent video games that further the goals of the "military-industrial-media complex."

Our colleagues at GP note that the idea that violent games are used as a tool by the U.S. armed forces to desensitize recruits has already been disputed, and that the linking of gaming to the "military-industrial-media complex" resembles the views held by Lyndon LaRouche, whom they charitably describe as a "fringe political figure."

So, we have a coalition of concerned citizens calling for a ban on violent games that warp the minds of their children - it does seem like we were overdue for one of these, no? Does the group (and its claims) have any more validity than the ones that preceded it?

In a word: Nein.

Yeah, it MUST be violent video games, right? I mean war, violence, racism, crime, murder, rape, and theft never occurred before violent video games! We lived in a peace, white picket fence existence where lollipops grew on bushes!

Oy vey.

Aren't there more important issues to worry about? Hunger? AIDS? Cancer? Why do people spend so much time on this crap.

The funniest thing is, that with how big the video game industry is now, that if the ban were to succeed the economy in Germany would be thrown into even more turmoil as 10000's of jobs in games/related shops/etc. would be lost.

So I would like to know one thing, would they like to be responsible for the collapse of the German economy?

Oh gosh, I had NO idea that people thought violent video games were bad! This is astonishing!

Yeah cause you know Adolf was a freaking huge GTA fan. Played it every single day. Ya know what else is a "landmine for the soul" Fucking genocide you nazi bastards!
They are just pissy from all the WWII games poisoning us against germans.

To play devil's advocate, first person shooter games probably aren't very good for the 'soul' whatever that is. I mean, I can't really imagine Jesus or Buddha being fans. I mean Jesus probably prefers civilisation games, and Buddha strikes me as more of an rpg man.

I liked them better when they had Frederick the Great, Otto von Bismark, Kaiser Wilhelm II, and Adolf Hitler, some the biggest war-mongers since the Old Testament. My German half weeps for how far they've fallen ;)

But seriously, banning games, because they are a detriment to a peaceful society? Why just ban hockey, and soccer then? They're violent. And lets get rid of R-rated, and Disney movies. Hell, they should just outlaw fun.

Well, at least the German government has taken a step in the right direction. Now most of the worrying's down to the lone nutjobs, unlike the situation for you Aussies.

Kevvers:
To play devil's advocate, first person shooter games probably aren't very good for the 'soul' whatever that is. I mean, I can't really imagine Jesus or Buddha being fans. I mean Jesus probably prefers civilisation games, and Buddha strikes me as more of an rpg man.

Oddly enough, whenever Jesus plays Civ 4, he always makes his state religion Confucianism.

CantFaketheFunk:
The document, reports GamePolitics, targets the usual suspects - Counter-Strike, DOOM, Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and Crysis - and resurrects the theory that FPS games were developed by the U.S. military as a way to condition potential recruits.

The United States Armed Forces have used some computer games for training purposes, but then again, they also developed this: http://brlcad.org/

I've never heard anyone suggest that computer aided design programs were bad for the "soul". And the U.S. Ballistics Research Laboratory (now the Army Research Laboratory) had been running this since the late 1970s.

Somebody needs a slap.

Heh-hem...

Nein indeed. And yet again I sing:

Doooon't give violent games to your kids~ Unless they're old enough~ Stop complaaaaing~

Hey, does anyone remember what Atilla The Hun's favorite video game was?

ElArabDeMagnifico:
Hey, does anyone remember what Atilla The Hun's favorite video game was?

Tetris. He was also a big Kong fan.
Edit: Omg I just got a mental image of him riding on his pony in the middle of a slaughterfield humming the tune Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies Too funny.

Must, resist, Nazi, reference.

THIS again OK I WILL SAY THIS NOW U FUCKING LOSE you have lost despite the lack of evidence that there is ))) and new amount of evidence saying there is no link as well as there being beneficial elements to game violence as venting anger all these people are over 40 so just let time take its Corse but to put a religious aspect to this just remove all augment to the degree of futility A new study reveals all past study are not worth merit because they are bias against videogames in the 1st place and there methods of research are not viable when scrutinised

JUST EAT IT ))AND LET THIS DIE TO MUTCH MONY IS BEING WASTED ON SHIT LIKE THIS

Religion is detrimental to a peaceful society. Terrorists, the salem witch trials, Holocaust, etc. Video games are nowhere to be found in any of those problems.

It should blow over in a few weeks when they try to legislate it.

sirdanrhodes:

I'll do it. I'm half German and those guys are just being Nazis.

4thegreatergood:

sirdanrhodes:

I'll do it. I'm half German and those guys are just being Nazis.

Really? I'm naziing it, myself. Are you sure?

CantFaketheFunk:
targets the usual suspects -DOOM, and resurrects the theory that FPS games were developed by the U.S. military as a way to condition potential recruits.

Yes, because we all know that id created a game about fighting demon hellspawns on Mars to try and recruit people into the U.S. Military.

Ok, nutbags. You prove the existence of a soul and we'll ban violent videogames.

Go on, prove it exists. What's that, you can't? You say you're worthless sacks of wasted genetic material who are making sensationalist claims in order to get the government to step in and do your job of parenting for you? You people make me sick.

Johnn Johnston:
Now most of the worrying's down to the lone nutjobs, unlike the situation for you Aussies.

Actually, our worrying is still done by a lone wackjob. Unfortunately, the lone wackjob has power... and our political system sucks.

As for the article, besides America's Army, what other games do they have that promote the US armed forces?

Baby Tea:
Yeah, it MUST be violent video games, right? I mean war, violence, racism, crime, murder, rape, and theft never occurred before violent video games! We lived in a peace, white picket fence existence where lollipops grew on bushes!

Oy vey.

Aren't there more important issues to worry about? Hunger? AIDS? Cancer? Why do people spend so much time on this crap.

have a medal for being one of the very few people on this world that are right and no what common sense is

i salute you

The germans don't like violent games because half of them depict them as a bunch of blood-crazed Nazis...which in hindsight probably does embed the wrong beliefs into the subconscious of younger players...

At any rate, this isnt not news. News is "new" - thus the root word. Seems like the Germans are starting to trot behind the Australians in chase of the "Games r bad" bandwagon though.

Is this really what German scientists and researchers are working with right now? That is just shameful with all of the problems in the world. How 'bout devoting some time to solving problems regarding global warming, cancer, AIDS, or any of the numerous other problems plaguing the world today?

Can't the media accept the fact that they lost ?? like come on now it's beeen proved about a 987604351 times that games have no effect on the mind or atleast don't cause a bad society

Bottom Line

we won

they lost

there wrong

we ARE right

they are idiots for saying something is bad without experiancing it ( playing a darn Game )

and the Gaming Culture has become so strong that if we were to stop it then there would be more problems in society

I REST MY CASE !

The Germans cringe and freakout at anything that smacks of war, this is nothing new. They were neutered very, very badly by guilt after the Holocaust- which is sad because really, only a tiny tiny percentage could've even been ALIVE at the time now.

This is nothing new though, usually it's the Govt driving this kind of thing. Volkswagon denied the rights to use the Beetle for Bumblebee (who was originally a Bug- GET IT, A YELLOW BUG, HA HA?) in the Transformers movie because of the violence/imprisonment in the movie.

95% of violent games are pointless & stupid.

Go Germany!

So this anti-Gaming group are attacking us because of a VERY VERY small minority of people who take games far too seriously and make the rest of us look bad?

Sit them down and get them to read and watch nothing but X-Men and lets see if they still think that in a few months.

Baby Tea:

Oy vey.

It is easier to blame games than work on real issues.

Soxfan1016:

At any rate, this isnt not news. News is "new" - thus the root word. Seems like the Germans are starting to trot behind the Australians in chase of the "Games r bad" bandwagon though.

Hey, we built that freakin bandwagon and probably even invented it!

To be more serious:
Our gaming industry is growing like almost everywhere else on the planet. Soon it will also have a lobby in the government and a new scapegoat for society's inevitable downfall will be found quickly.

Basically this whole issue is nothing more than "Grr those darn kids and their video games!" *shakes cane*

Oh and would you mind quitting with the nazi stuff? Really getting old, like, what, +-70 years?

Anonymouse:
Yeah cause you know Adolf was a freaking huge GTA fan. Played it every single day. Ya know what else is a "landmine for the soul" Fucking genocide you nazi bastards!
They are just pissy from all the WWII games poisoning us against germans.

Damn, you got there before me. I was going to ask them what games Hitler played.

I remember the days before games were introduced.
When we lived in a harmonious, Utopian society without crime or injustice.
Oh, wait, that's not true, everything was the same as it is now.

stompy:

Johnn Johnston:
Now most of the worrying's down to the lone nutjobs, unlike the situation for you Aussies.

Actually, our worrying is still done by a lone wackjob. Unfortunately, the lone wackjob has power... and our political system sucks.

You have my condolences. At least there's the silver lining to the cloud; the average age of gamers is going up, so before long the gaming sub-population will have enough votes to kindly tell him to G the FO.

Johnn Johnston:
You have my condolences. At least there's the silver lining to the cloud; the average age of gamers is going up, so before long the gaming sub-population will have enough votes to kindly tell him to G the FO.

The unfortunate thing is that, in spite of the evidence put in front of him, he still thinks only children play video games... he reckons the studies conducted are bogus. I think the only way us Aussies will get our R18+ rating is to wait for the bugger to retire.

CantFaketheFunk:
Researchers who dispute the document's claims and defend gaming are accused of being "collaborators and accomplices" of the games industry, aiding violent video games that further the goals of the "military-industrial-media complex."

Typical lash-back argument. All the petitioners and scientists can do surrounding this is point the finger and shout baseless accusations that, unfortunately, the ignorant and weak-minded common people will readily accept.

Apart from that, I'm indifferent to this issue. We all knew this was coming sooner or later but now that it's taken root it just seems like they're beating a dead horse. I could care less as long as this doesn't affect videogaming in the United States which it most likely will since these ideals spread like wildfire.

This is just another far-wing radical attempt to outlaw something trivial which has never been directly proven to cause mental and physical harm to others.

Moving on...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or