Command & Conquer Changes Up Middle Eastern GLA

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Command & Conquer Changes Up Middle Eastern GLA

Command & Conquer developer Victory Games says people found the Middle Eastern makeup of the Global Liberation Army "pretty offensive," and so it's being changed.

In the fiction of Command & Conquer, the Global Liberation Army is a "quasi-terrorist, transnational organization," as the C&C Wiki puts it, and while it maintains bases and engages in operations all around the world, it's based primarily in the Middle East. But in response to complaints from gamers who found that to be an offensive stereotype, Victory Games says it will diversify the GLA lineup in the upcoming free-to-play edition of Command & Conquer.

"This is actually a pretty big change for the game," Tim Morten, senior development director at Victory Games, told Polygon. "Anyone who knows this series will know the Global Liberation Army. But at the studio we had a bad reaction from people saying it was pretty offensive to have Middle-Eastern characters as militants."

The GLA in this new incarnation of Command & Conquer will feature five generals of varied backgrounds, which Morten said - humorously - means the game will now "probably just offend everybody."

Victory Games' free-to-play Command & Conquer is being developed for the PC and is expected to come out later this year.

Source: Polygon

We can't have the Arabs be terrorists! They might blow us up for it!

This doesn't suprise me as I did wonder how the hell they got away with it in the first place. By all mean I like that faction (got to love the angry mob and the dialogue "Free AK-47 for everyone!") but we all know how sensitive some people can get.

Giving in to the PC brigade are we? The world really has become a very sensitive place.

(Note: By PC brigade I obviously mean the Political Correctness brigade. Just felt the need to clarify that before I receive another inbox full of hate)

"Anyone who knows this series will know the Global Liberation Army."

Sure we will, what with the primary factions in the main games being GDI and Nod for C&C Original and Allies and Soviets for C&C Red Alert.

Who the fuck is the Global Liberation Army and why should I know them when they don't appear in at least 7 of the games?

But I like the GLA being an Arab based terrorist, transnational organization. C&C was always one to have fun with stereotypes.

mjc0961:
"Anyone who knows this series will know the Global Liberation Army."

Sure we will, what with the primary factions in the main games being GDI and Nod for C&C Original and Allies and Soviets for C&C Red Alert.

Who the fuck is the Global Liberation Army and why should I know them when they don't appear in at least 7 of the games?

....the Global Liberation Army are the primary villains of Command and Conquer: Generals, the series that this game is based around. So clearly you DON'T know the series as well as you thought you did.

They're a collective of terrorist groups all stemming from the Middle East whose primary goal is the downfall of Western civilization, which is represented primarily by the United States military (Europe relies primarily on their military for defense). There is also the ever-growing Chinese army in the east.

Basically what they just said is that they're going to take the GLA out of the Middle East....which completely destroys their whole identity. This is just one more reason to point out how this game, meant to be the successor to Generals, is going to be nothing like Generals. They're already ruining a series that only had one game in it. HOW DO YOU MESS THIS UP?!?

Next you'll be telling me that they're going to make the People's Republic of China's army less Chinese, or the American army less American....

The game would also feature 3 "unique" factions: the technologically-advanced European Union, the militant Global Liberation Army (GLA), and the newly formed Asian-Pacific Alliance (APA).

Right, because the Middle East is a bastion of peace and rational debate and any infidel who says otherwise will have their head chopped off!

I find it an offensive stereotype that all of the factions are human when not all humans are violent. Better get some aliens and funghi groups in there to make it all politically correct.

[quote="CriticKitten" post="7.818567.19713113"]...the Global Liberation Army are the primary villains of Command and Conquer: Generals, the series that this game is based around. So clearly you DON'T know the series as well as you thought you did./quote]
In all seriousness, it's completely forgivable to be a fan of C&C and not know who or what the GLA is.

I'd go as far as saying that the resurrection of Generals aka the one nobody bought and nobody liked* (except for Zero Hour) speaks volumes of EA's faith in the series (lack of) as well as just how hard C&C 4 screwed the pooch. With this mucking about with factions it's getting to be pretty clear that this is aimed squarely at being as middle of the road as possible, joy!

How long until Planetary Annihalation comes out again?
*Okay that's a bit harsh, but Red Alert 2 this was not, nor is it seemingly remembered at all.

So who will they become exactly?

Oh please, when are we finally get political correctness out of games?! This is getting absurd, what's next removing the soviets from Red Alert because it offends Russians?!

C&C has never been known for its subtlety and I don't think it should be asked to be subtle. It's not like C&C has to power to push RL political agendas. I mean come on C&C Generals was full of so many over the top clichés and stereotypes that no one could possibly take it seriously.

Yeah, it's offensive because it's essentially fucking true.

Next you'll tell me the Chinese army is based on mostly reversed engineered technology and has masses of poorly trained infantry. Or the European armies have highly trained and equipped but expensive forces by comparison.

But we all know that would be offensive... because it's the current fucking state of affairs.

fix-the-spade:
In all seriousness, it's completely forgivable to be a fan of C&C and not know who or what the GLA is.

I'd go as far as saying that the resurrection of Generals aka the one nobody bought and nobody liked* (except for Zero Hour) speaks volumes of EA's faith in the series (lack of) as well as just how hard C&C 4 screwed the pooch. With this mucking about with factions it's getting to be pretty clear that this is aimed squarely at being as middle of the road as possible, joy!

*Okay that's a bit harsh, but Red Alert 2 this was not, nor is it seemingly remembered at all.

You're quite right, you're being much too harsh. The game holds very high critical ratings and sold decently well. The only reason people tend to forget about it is because it wasn't as good as the Red Alert series nor as awful as C&C4.

Quite frankly, it was a good game. And any self-proclaimed "fan" of the series would know about it.

DVS BSTrD:
We can't have the Arabs be terrorists! They might blow us up for it!

I pretty much had the same thought.

To be honest the odds of me getting this game are now pretty much non-existant. I oppose political correctness and pandering in all of it's forms. If the creators originally wanted this to be an Arabic/Middle Eastern based terrorist organization, that is what it should be. It's not like there isn't a precedent for it. Sure maybe not all Arabs are terrorists, BUT not all corporations are super villains either, yet that doesn't prevent the even super-corp and it's attached PMCs from being trotted out as a stock villain because of the companies that do act like that.

Simply put if you get afraid of offending people and back down when you do, your never going to create anything of worth. It's rapidly getting to the point where more time is being spent on the pandering than the actual creative process, and when anything a creator makes is to be adjusted at the merest hints of someone being offended, one has to ask why bother having the creators work at all?

Tell you guys what, for the upcoming C&C keep it to two factions, have one side wear black hats (bad guys) and the other guys wear white hats (good guys) the old cowboy movie alignment system. Otherwise put in no backstory or reason for them to fight, that way nobody will get offended... I mean that is where things are going here isn't it? Oh wait... some fashionistas might object if this morality conflicts with their most recent fashion statement.

Therumancer:

Tell you guys what, for the upcoming C&C keep it to two factions, have one side wear black hats (bad guys) and the other guys wear white hats (good guys) the old cowboy movie alignment system. Otherwise put in no backstory or reason for them to fight, that way nobody will get offended... I mean that is where things are going here isn't it? Oh wait... some fashionistas might object if this morality conflicts with their most recent fashion statement.

How dare you! That's super racist! Why should white be the color used for the good guys! That'll just perpetrate the stereotype anything black is evil and anything white is awesome! You damn black people hater! (This was an intense portion of sarcasm)

But yeah soon we might get back to stickmen, no one can get offenden by stickmen? Oh no wait, stick-people (shouldn't forget the newly founded "sexusm!" lobby)

Surely they could've just had a British or Russian guy manipulating them from behind the scenes? I mean that's how movies and Call of Duty get away with it.

generals3:

Therumancer:

How dare you! That's super racist! Why should white be the color used for the good guys! That'll just perpetrate the stereotype anything black is evil and anything white is awesome! You damn black people hater! (This was an intense portion of sarcasm)

But yeah soon we might get back to stickmen, no one can get offenden by stickmen? Oh no wait, stick-people (shouldn't forget the newly founded "sexusm!" lobby)

Not to mention that being skinny they would both be insensitive to anorexics, and promoting an unfair and unhealthy body image that would upset fat people. :)

Perhaps they need to use ACSCII, make C&C the first true "roguelike" RTS game... I mean that can't offend anyone. Well unless we start seeing demands that there be versions using symbols from non-English keyboards using the alphabets and symbols appropriate to the nation, culture, and language of whomever is playing it... after all a letter "I" representing infantry would be insensitive to those who only use Kanji....

CriticKitten:

fix-the-spade:

You're quite right, you're being much too harsh. The game holds very high critical ratings and sold decently well. The only reason people tend to forget about it is because it wasn't as good as the Red Alert series nor as awful as C&C4.

Quite frankly, it was a good game. And any self-proclaimed "fan" of the series would know about it.

I'm a long-time fan of the series (grew up playing RA *nostalgia*), and I really enjoyed Generals. It was definitely a departure from a lot of the series tropes. I remember the biggest change for me was the different UI, which took after Star Craft. Overall, it was a really solid game (with an excellent expansion) that had lots of cool units and battles. Also helped that it was a visual powerhouse back in its day.

I can understand if other C&C fans didn't take to it, but it was far from a 'terrible' game.

OT:

Actually, to those chiming 'PC' I would say 'what's the big deal?' In all honesty, I don't have a problem with the devs giving a transnational terrorist org a more diverse cast, ethnically speaking. The nature of terrorism particularly in the Middle East has become this ridiculously homogenised idea based on a lot of barely-cloaked, racist assumptions; it has become easy and meaningless to beat that trope in a new game based on quasi, near future warfare.

When Islamist fueled terrorism has become pretty much synonymous with 'Muslim' because of Western pop culture, I think you can reasonably infer that the punchline would pass over everyone's head and compound a pretty sensitive social issue for a lot of people.

Having said that, it could cut the other way if handled well. I just feel that gaming and Western pop culture in general hasn't tackled religious fundamentalism and Muslim people with any sense of grace and intellect at all, for the most part.

Wow seriously?

Way to cave to Politically Correct idiots.

You know what you do when some whiny fucktard complains about the GLA being arabic when that is topical and the entire identity of the faction? You tell them to shut the fuck up and boy the game or dont.

Then again this is EA, the idiots that have to have their games appeal to as many people as they possibly can ever.

And here I thought they were done fucking up CnC, surprise surprise, I was wrong.

TBH being able to train and deploy suicide bombers was a little offensive.

some of the caricatures, making light of the terrorists were a little insensitive.

The chinese voices were slightly racist lol. Hilarious but still slightly racist.

What's with the C&C: Generals Hate? I sunk more time into that and Zero Hour than I did any of the previous C&C games, and I loved the Red Alert series. (Generals just came at a time when going to a friend's place and having super fun lantimes was viable, because I had my own car).

Seriously, guys? The GLA in the first game was actually funny to me in a guilty way, but c'mon: it basically portrayed the Middle East as a backwards wasteland filled with suicide bombers and impoverished cannon fodder. The only way they could be more insensitive would be to make an African faction that uses throwing spears, builds grass huts for buildings and dresses in furs. This is hardly 'PC overload'.

A anti-western terrorist group coming out of the middle east? How incredibly offensive. I mean, its not like its based in reality, the Middle East and North Africa are hardly locations with lots of competing radical militant groups, islamist revolutionaries, and inter-tribal warfare, right? Right? Seriously guys, the Middle East and North Africa have alot of terrorist groups. Lets be honest about this. No need to go all PC and declare anything remotely resembling a stereotype racism, even if its based in reality.

A terrorist organization from the Middle-East? Can't for the life of me imagine where they may have gotten a crazy offensive idea like that from. Oh yeah - YESTERDAY'S NEWS.

What a pointless cop-out. Not like it'll negatively impact the game a great deal, but it's still annoying to see devs make changes like this and say it's because "someone got offended". So be offended, nothing happens when you're offended. You don't wake up the next morning with the black plague if something offends you. Grow some thicker skin damn it!

Lame, how so very lame to take the wussy PC route out.

Dammit, now my friends and I can't say "AK-47s...for EVERYONE!!!!" and "Shut your GLA Hole!" anymore.

I get where they're coming from, but C&C have based virtually all of their non-Tiberium games off racist/cultural stereotypes. If they want these games to be less "offensive", they have a hell of a lot more work to do.

I remember playing the C&C Generals when I was younger, and looking back I realized how blatant the stereotypes of Chinese and Arabs are in that game. Seriously, I think a quarter of my view of the Middle East back then came from that game, and this is the game where giving workers shoes was an in-game upgrade, suicide bombers and toxin weapons make up a bulk of the game's units, base buildings ALWAYS look like mosques and Middle Eastern buildings regardless of the actual battlefield, and GLA units quip wacky quotes ("AK-47s for everyone!" was my favorite)
I'm Chinese myself, and in the China campaign level I had to blow up my city's own convention center because it's being occupied by terrorists; which makes as much sense as blowing up a bank because there's a robbery going on inside. And if the game's got it right, the fucking Red Guard is still a thing in the year 2020.

I still enjoy how over-the-top the game is, but unlike C&C Red Alert, where every faction and character had exaggerations turned up to 11 and the game is aware of its own nature, this game adds a level of seriousness that gives the personalities of each faction more legitimacy. Parts of the game are lifted right out of the ongoing War on Terror (including the first USA campaign mission involving the American invasion of Baghdad), which adds to the realistic feel of the game. Like I said, a part of my perception of the Middle East as a kid came from this game, and the war in Afghanistan and Iraq that was happening at the exact same time didn't help matters.

But the thing is, I don't think the changes they'll bring to 'diversify' the new C&C would be significant, because for all we know the new generals are going to be from Russia or North Korea; the typical media punching bags. It's not going to eliminate the fact that there are extremist groups in the Middle East, but it's just going to show that not ALL of them are in the Middle East. And while I do think the Middle East is used too commonly as the home of antagonists in video games, the GLA is an organization that came from the Middle East, and changing that fact is merely replacing it with a group from another non-Western country.

I think a better route is the humanize the GLA faction by showing a clear (if twisted) reasoning behind their actions, and also emphasize the fact that the leaders aren't two-dimensional characters. Give the generals clear backstories and make them somewhat sympathetic. I'd say that the units should also be given more humanity as well, but it's C&C: when your infantry gets run over by a train or incinerated by napalm, all you do is shrug and build another.

All of the factions in Generals were stereotypical as hell, no one cared. If it's an issue now why didn't they just pick a new goddamn setting?

I love how this thread has people screaming, "IT'S NOT OFFENSIVE BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME EVERYONE IS TOO PC" and others chiming in, "YEAH, AND ARABS ARE ALL TERRORISTS ANYWAY."

Both anti-political correctness advocates and racists agree! Make the GLA Middle Eastern again! Because that's integral - now the plot just doesn't make sense.

Samuki Elm:
I love how this thread has people screaming, "IT'S NOT OFFENSIVE BECAUSE IT'S JUST A GAME EVERYONE IS TOO PC" and others chiming in, "YEAH, AND ARABS ARE ALL TERRORISTS ANYWAY."

Both anti-political correctness advocates and racists agree! Make the GLA Middle Eastern again! Because that's integral - now the plot just doesn't make sense.

Come now, that is a MASSIVE strawman. The point most people are making is that, lets face it, the middle east has a problem with militant groups. Thats not racist, thats facing facts. And changing just about everything about a faction on the basis of some people were offended is pretty much political correctness in a nutshell.

Samuki Elm:

Ldude893:

I think a better route is the humanize the GLA faction by showing a clear (if twisted) reasoning behind their actions, and also emphasize the fact that the leaders aren't two-dimensional characters. Give the generals clear backstories and make them somewhat sympathetic. I'd say that the units should also be given more humanity as well, but it's C&C: when your infantry gets run over by a train or incinerated by napalm, all you do is shrug and build another.

I don't think that route will really work as they are, last I read for this abomination of a game. attempting to make it a F2P multiplayer game with a tacked on Single Player. So anything they attempted to give any actual arc or depth would be burried uselessly in a 5 hour campaign.

It is a bloody GAME. I do not understand all this people omg it is racist full of stereotypes it is offensive bla bla bla bla.... What a nonsense. I played General when I was a kid and i loved it it was one of my favorite games at the time because it was fun and the setting and factions were fun to play had their unique background and strategy plus the game looked stunning in that time.
Political correctness is effin cancer.

I didn't even think about racism when I played this game to death. All of the lines were either corny or really basic stuff you here in war movies so I could never took it serious at all. They've been doing the stereotype thing all the way so why give a shit now? Make it an option at least.

I find their lack of a spine offensive, but whatever just another example why C&C4 is going to have a friend with them in Nod's dungeon as shittest C&C games ever.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here