Microsoft's Yusuf Mehdi: We Need To Educate Consumers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Microsoft's handling of the Xbones release has probably provided more entertainment than the console itself will. It has been a shining example of how to run a PR train wreck with arrogant comments, failure to explain system features correctly or in a way that doesn't alienate customers and giving their rivals countless coups. They should have expected the furor after the difficulty valve had getting us to accept steam and should have done their best to paint its advantages (the cloud ability to access your games anywhere) from the start. The damage though has been done and looks catastrophic (and hilarious).

People need to be educated about this change? Do they realize the last few statements put out by them just come off as arrogant and insulting? "Don't have a stable internet connection for Xbox One? Buy a Xbox 360!" Now this...Problem is people are educating themselves and word is spreading on how shitty their DRM policies are.

All this guy is highlighting why you should not buy the Xbone, I remember when all the consoles were plug in and play with no DRM bullshit.

"There's plenty of benefits in cloud connection, Mehdi claims. You'll be able to take your library with you wherever you go, so long as there's a decent connection."

As opposed to me being able to do that with physical copies outside of areas with internet. Good benefit there. (sarcasm)

"You can even digitally loan copies - up to a limit of ten - and there could be other, as yet undefined benefits."

Umm, I can loan WAY over 10 copies of physical games. What's your benefit?

Wow..... that is some damn fine spewing of bullshit right there. I dont need to be educated,I already know all I need to know about the XBone to know it has no fill no gap other devices dont already fill better and cheaper

Looks like Microsoft wants to be the new Apple, only more honest about it, which is pretty ballsy in a retarded kinda way.

Hahaha, educate consumers! Dude, you need to educate your own company *about* us consumers. You've made a product few gamers will want. Didn't it occur to you at any point to, I don't know, get consumer feedback that you were making a PoS?

All these millions on development, 6 months before launch and we can *already* see that the XBone will fail hard, particularly in light of Sony's significantly more consumer friendly and cheaper entry into the next gen. For a huge corporation developing a major platform, you've seriously screwed up.

Sega's Dreamcast was the best hardware platform of its day and failed. The One is clearly the worst, what chance does it have?

Legion:

"There's a lot of education we have to provide to make sure that people understand,"

You might wish to start with your own employees, so that they stop contradicting themselves, leading to unnecessary confusion.

As for DRM and used games, limits and potentially fees are a necessary evil, Mehdi claims, as Microsoft needs to keep publishers happy as well as consumers. "We do want to support everyone in that system, beginning with the consumer," he said, "but we want publishers to get paid for the great IP they work on."

Shouldn't that say developer, not publisher? They are the ones who actually make the damn game. Not many people really care what publishers think, seeing as they cause most of the problems within the industry.

"In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi. "We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."

Which is what you are relying on of course, because those that do pay attention have pointed out the many flaws.

"Ultimately consumers will decide which is better," Mehdi said. "It's a big market."

That we will. That we will.

Indeed.

I concur. Aren't the Publishers practically the sponsors?

"In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details," said Mehdi. "We've seen it in the research, we've seen it in a lot of the data points."

Kinda reminds of Nostalgia Critic's review of Cat in the Hat;when two business guys come in and explain why they did what they did with the movie. But when the Critic asks good questions and points out the flaws,they start each time with "The charts show" something, and when Critic turns off the TV showing the charts, the business guys flip out, and kill themselves. My point? They're probably now as dependent on those charts as the guys in that video were. That's pretty bad.

"Ultimately consumers will decide which is better," Mehdi said. "It's a big market."

A market where you won't get my or my parent's money anytime soon. Here's a lesson you need to learn,Yusuf: People buy gaming consoles TO PLAY GAMES,and HATE IT when they feel like they're being restricted. You want to commit financial seppuku, that's your problem,not mine.

chris89300:
Looks like Microsoft wants to be the new Apple, only more honest about it, which is pretty ballsy in a retarded kinda way.

Exactly why Windows 8 is such a different beast from Windows 7 and it's general departure from over 20 years of similar GUI experience.

They saw the way Apple more or less unified their GUI/walled garden across desktop/tablet/phone/mp3 player systems and wanted to do the same. Granted it makes financial sense but the way they tried to force it down everyone's throats was entirely the wrong way of going about it. It was their general disdain for anyone not drinking from their water fountain that has made Win 8 adoption as crappy as it is.

When I saw the general overview from the Xbone reveal and then their E3 presentations along with the multitude of mixed and contrary messaging coming from their "execs" that makes me hope there will be some shake ups coming within Microsoft. They seem to have forgotten that they owe their customers a decent product instead of their customers blindly owing them their money for a crappy product.

Oh, Yuusuf, it's not the change we hate.

It's you trying to fuck us in the ass and telling us it's for our own good.

Oh, Yuusuf, it's not the change we hate.

It's you trying to fuck us in the ass and telling us it's for our own good.

For pity's sake, Microsoft, how many times do we have to tell you: 1984 was NOT an instruction manual!

Microsoft's arrogance is becoming quite startling. They seem to have this view that they are always right and that the user (or potential customer) is a complete moron who needs to be told what to enjoy and what to play.
At this moment in time, I would say that if you do actually buy an Xbone then you are proving microsoft right and are indeed a moron.

maybe.... maybe WE should be educated....
i however, am pretty sure that ms will be educated soon enough....

Jaeger_CDN:

chris89300:

Exactly why Windows 8 is such a different beast from Windows 7 and it's general departure from over 20 years of similar GUI experience.

They saw the way Apple more or less unified their GUI/walled garden across desktop/tablet/phone/mp3 player systems and wanted to do the same. Granted it makes financial sense but the way they tried to force it down everyone's throats was entirely the wrong way of going about it. It was their general disdain for anyone not drinking from their water fountain that has made Win 8 adoption as crappy as it is.

When I saw the general overview from the Xbone reveal and then their E3 presentations along with the multitude of mixed and contrary messaging coming from their "execs" that makes me hope there will be some shake ups coming within Microsoft. They seem to have forgotten that they owe their customers a decent product instead of their customers blindly owing them their money for a crappy product.

Well said

Is it quite bad when title mentions yusef I automatically thought they got the character from The Ballads of Gay Tony to work for microsoft?

Then again he prob can do a better job than the guys at microsoft atm, even high on coke and hookers

yeah everything will eventually go digital, but diablo 3 and sim city proved that we arent quite ready for that yet. and if you realize that gamers dont like change, why would you make such an abrupt change? ease gamers in to the transition. you let a kid start in the shallow end and gradually work up to the deep end, you dont throw the child in to the deep end right off the bat and go "learn to swim, asshole!" (though interesting story, my sister did that to me when i was 4. not out of a misguided attempt to teach me to swim, but because i stole her favorite pail).

Phrozenflame500:
So basically Microsoft is trying to accomplish what Steam has done, but far worse with big-brother DRM measures,higher prices and a complete lack of understanding on why Steam worked in the first place.

In other words, Microsoft saw how Awesome! Ea's Origin was, and decided to build off that.

Marcus Bachman also said something about re-educating people.

Does anybody really want to be named in one breath with Marcus Bachman?

I do agree with some here, this almost sounds like the first two years of the PS3..and those we're not good years. To say that the PS3 has a slow start is saying it nicely. And now microsoft is making allot of mistakes putting themself in said situation.

I mean Sony doesn't has to do its own PR with how deep a whole Microsoft is digging.

At what point does Microsoft makes the WiiU look good as a second console?

KeyMaster45:
Microsoft just needs to be quiet and sit in it's corner until launch day, because every time one of their representatives opens their mouth I feel a primal urge to punch my monitor so hard that it creates a wormhole directly to their face.

Exactly. Every day for the past 2 weeks or so I've been turning on my computer and coming across an article that makes me think "can Microsoft POSSIBLY get any more stupid?!?" and turning it on the next day and finding out the answer is
"YES!!!!"

I'd say that this was another nail in the coffin of Microsoft, but...Honestly, either find me a space for another nail on this thing, or give me some diamond tipped ones so I can hammer nails into the existing ones.

Capcha: "you rock!"

Ye gods, even the computers are agreeing with my point.

digital gaming on a closed platform... not good. that'll crash n burn

those who must have the newest MS product, could you not just hold out, make the thing bomb leaving MS forced to reverse all this with a firmware update?
if this is a sucess, it'll set one hell of a status quo

Why is Microsoft suddenly pretending they've invented digital distribution? Not only has this been the primary means for purchasing PC games for like a fucking decade, it's also 100% existent on both PS3 and Xbox 360 RIGHT FUCKING NOW. I can already do a bunch of the shit they're supposedly "inventing" - and with greatly reduced (or entirely absent) restrictions.

It's like they're answering questions no one fucking asked. It's insanity.

Consumers, trained dogs, what's the difference.

If people need to be "educated" about your consumer electronic device, your product has a usability problem.

Monkey_Warfare:
Microsoft's handling of the Xbones release has probably provided more entertainment than the console itself will. It has been a shining example of how to run a PR train wreck with arrogant comments, failure to explain system features correctly or in a way that doesn't alienate customers and giving their rivals countless coups. They should have expected the furor after the difficulty valve had getting us to accept steam and should have done their best to paint its advantages (the cloud ability to access your games anywhere) from the start. The damage though has been done and looks catastrophic (and hilarious).

At this point they should just STFU. Every time they open their mouths, things just get worse.

Anathrax:
"Customers don't like a change."

This is sort of true. I mean if you were a customer, would you like the change from a normal body to a normal body with a halberd shoved down your arse? Education my arse, Microsoft you need the education. If I didn't know better I'd say they'd be insulting customers.

Even if it wasn't necessarily bad change, they should have thought of this BEFORE they decided to change thigns up so much.

Every other consumer: We need to educate Microsoft.

Irridium:
I love how Microsoft is basically saying the exact same crap Sony was saying when they revealed the PS3.

That's pretty much what I was going to say, this feels like a reverse of the last console cycle. I bought a 360 then because it was cheaper and I had some loyalty to Microsoft and Xbox. This whole thing just makes me giggle. It's like...did you guys learn nothing from Sony's massive screw up the last time round? No? *Pounds with pebbles.

"consumers don't like change"

No consumers don't like suddenly going from owning a game to renting a license for permission to play a game you have to pay 60+ dollars for.

Yes it is a big market. I failed to find anything interesting over at the Xbox stand, and the store run by old man Sony was closed for renovations, so I'm browsing the PC quarter of the market. They're next to the fruitstand and the shop selling pure, moddable AWESOME.

Wait, I'm confused. Did he just say they need to "educate" the gamers? And THEN say "Oh the negativity is okay, because the broader community is ignorant"? Isn't that kind of...mmm...contradictory?

MS: We are going to punch you in the balls and you are going to like it.
Consumer: But I don't like being punched in the balls.
MS: Let me try again...We are going to punch you in the balls and you are going to like it.
Consumer: Being punched in the balls hurts and I don't like it.
MS: Hmmm, apparently you just need to be educated on why you are going to like being punched in the balls.

it seems the restrictions are so good for customers, they are in fact too good that they have just removed them

Anathrax:
"Customers don't like a change."

This is sort of true. I mean if you were a customer, would you like the change from a normal body to a normal body with a halberd shoved down your arse? Education my arse, Microsoft you need the education. If I didn't know better I'd say they'd be insulting customers.

Yeah... except I don't think I "know better". I'd say they ARE insulting their customers. This is not a new phenomena for Microsoft either (go back and take a look at their press-releases for the infamous "Windows ME".)

But the best line has to be this:

"In a broader set of community, people don't pay attention to a lot of the details."

Maybe not, if they're buying budget. Has Microsoft forgotten that they're trying to make people pay hundreds of pounds (or dollars, or whatever your currency is) for this purchase? This is a premium purchase with a premium price, and Microsoft appears to believe that their target market will treat it as the same kind of impulse buy that you might make if you're considering a 2.50 iPhone game. Do they even understand that the vast majority of potential buyers of their product have budgets that they need to stick to?

While on one hand I agree that there are a lot of consumers out there (ie parents) who don't know the difference between one game and the next, which is why we have little crumb snatchers running around in games yelling ignorant shit on most popular multiplayer games. Those of us in the know, know that what Microsoft is trying to do is take away a lot of the power of private ownership of games released on their console and place it directly in their hands and that of the publishers. I agree that the PS4 is shaping up to be my next console, however I get the feeling that all is not as it seems with Sony's policies.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here