Xbox One Surprises Witcher Dev, Skips Poland At Launch

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Xbox One Surprises Witcher Dev, Skips Poland At Launch

Witcher 3 concept art

Marcin Iwiński of Polish studio CD Projekt Red says the omission of Poland from the list of countries supported by the Xbox One at launch is "a sad situation."

You will no doubt recall yesterday's news that the Xbox One will only have Live support in 21 countries at launch, meaning that Microsoft's forthcoming console, thanks to its reliance on a daily connection to the internet, won't work anywhere else. We noted in our report that among the countries not on the list was Poland, a noteworthy fact because Poland is the home of CD Projekt, the creator of the vaunted Witcher RPG series - the final chapter of which made a pretty big splash at E3.

As it turns out, nobody at CD Projekt had any idea that this was going to happen. "I was just in a restaurant and saw the list," Iwiński told Game Informer. "I was surprised, and I really hope that it isn't final. I think Polish gamers will speak out loud. From my perspective, it's a sad situation."

The Xbox Support twitter account suggested yesterday that the list of supported countries could grow prior to the launch of the Xbox One but right now, this is just one more bit of ugliness in an E3 that really hasn't gone Microsoft's way.

Source: Game Informer

Andy Chalk:
I think Polish gamers will speak out loud. From my perspective, it's a sad situation.

They probably won't care. That's my prediction.

I find this kind of funny actually.

Last article I read about CD P. was that they were going to support the Xbone regardless of their own stand on Microsofts shady business practices.

Seems Microsoft will not be reciprocating that support </3

Adam Jensen:

Andy Chalk:
I think Polish gamers will speak out loud. From my perspective, it's a sad situation.

Considering PC is way bigger in europe, you are probably right.

I was wondering if they had mentioned this to the Witcher crew... ..apparently they didn't.

Ohh boy.

I hope somebody at MS is REALLY good at brown nosing, because the Witcher guys are just about the only people who have come out and say that they are Ok with MS's strategy on DRM. And if they get dicked over like this.. ...they might change their tune.

They'll all be too busy playing it on PC to care.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Remember how they said they would still continue development for the Xbone just a while ago? I guess they are not! :D

What's that? Microsoft still has a friend in the world? Well, they'd better fix that pronto!

Seriously, the at this point the head honcho at MS (and I mean MS in general, whoever's currently in charge of the whole shebang) should cut their losses, cancel production of the XBone, and announce that it's shutting down the MS Entertainment Division because...well...I think this picture best sums things up:

At this point, I'm really looking forward to whoever (Dean Takahashi maybe) writes a book exploring just what happened with the development and early promotion of the X1. There's got to be one hell of a story there...

Hmm, maybe CDPR should pull support of it's games from the xbone then.

captcha: propane accessories.. *gives captcha a strange look*

WashAran:

Adam Jensen:

Andy Chalk:

....Really?

This is a serious question. How do you know this?

One of the Facebook comments is just gold.

"Microsoft is getting so evil I am surprised they haven't moved from excluding Poland to invading it."

OT: Wow, pretty shitty of them not to let the fucking devs and publishers know what countries their games will be available in.

ron1n:

This is probably true, but it's less about neglecting the Polish market (which is almost certainly a tiny, tiny slice of the pie) and more about not shitting on a developer and publisher that's very popular at the grassroots level. The fact that MS apparently didn't even feel it was necessary to give CDPR a heads-up about it just doesn't look good.

Ya done backed the wrong horse there CDP, this horse will kick ya any chance it gets, even when you're tryin' to feed it.

Guess there's one more developer who won't be working on the XBone.
MS clearly has no idea what they're doing.

ScrabbitRabbit:
One of the Facebook comments is just gold.

"Microsoft is getting so evil I am surprised they haven't moved from excluding Poland to invading it."

OT: Wow, pretty shitty of them not to let the fucking devs and publishers know what countries their games will be available in.

I laughed more than I should have. Does that make me a bad person?

Honestly, I wondered what CD Projekt was doing when they started showing it during the XBone conference. Now... I'm not sure if they know, either.

We all know MS will have Poland all hooked up and ready to go for the game's release, but, still... To pull that kind of shit on one of the more popular game developers? Wow.

Andy Chalk:

ron1n:

This is probably true, but it's less about neglecting the Polish market (which is almost certainly a tiny, tiny slice of the pie) and more about not shitting on a developer and publisher that's very popular at the grassroots level. The fact that MS apparently didn't even feel it was necessary to give CDPR a heads-up about it just doesn't look good.

I wonder if all the Japanese devs assumed Japan would be left too considering Microsoft's pitiful market share over there.

This... this CAN'T be unintentional. This has to be some sort of psychological condition where "finding everyone who MIGHT like our product" and then doing everything in their power to ensure that they don't.

The problem as everyone said by doing this, is shitting on CDP:R because those guys with their approaches to DRM and offerings on sites like GOG.com have garnered MAAAAA-HOO-SIVE respect from gamers around the world, so to realise that one of the largest sources for indie and older titles home country is excluded from the XBones launch is just going to ensure even more people give MS the cold shoulder.

I'm getting a headache from all the shit Microsoft is doing. First failing with Windows 8. Then this clusterfuck cloaked as a gaming console. What's next? They find out that NSA also has a direct link to the Xbox One? That would be awkward when you're playing Dance Central 4, and dancing to MC Hammer's Can't Touch This and the NSA takes a look at the same time.

I am curious, what does it mean not to be in a supported country? I am from Uruguay, and I am sure there will be a couple console generations before Microsoft include us in some list, but I am able to play online with a 360 or PS3 provided I register a US account (most things, I still can't use the movie apps because they are filtered by IP).

Is this the same situation or has the next generation become more restricted?

It's like they keep shooting themselves in the foot, just to see if the next bullet won't hurt as much.

neppakyo:
Hmm, maybe CDPR should pull support of it's games from the xbone then.

That is exactly what I was thinking they should do. It's kind of a dick move for the fans that will be Xboning, but I think they'd understand, as it's a bigger dick move to the CDPR team.

Captcha: word for word
I added my own opinion to the quote, don't mock me captcha!

Witcher 1 was successful thanks to polish, "hardcore" PC gamers (PC market is way bigger here in Poland). and now Witcher will probably be released first on consoles and not in Poland oO

wulfgar_red:
Witcher 1 was successful thanks to polish, "hardcore" PC gamers (PC market is way bigger here in Poland). and now Witcher will probably be released first on consoles and not in Poland oO

Usually CDPR releases product first on PC then consoles, probably be released on PC and consoles at once.

TiberiusEsuriens:

That is exactly what I was thinking they should do. It's kind of a dick move for the fans that will be Xboning, but I think they'd understand, as it's a bigger dick move to the CDPR team.

Captcha: word for word
I added my own opinion to the quote, don't mock me captcha!

The arrogance and asshattery of MS still is astounding. Now they're being dicks to foreign developers.

hermes200:

There won't be any on-line play for you and your countrymen. At all. (But you are still to connect to the Xbox Live, but no multi-player stuff and all that jazz)

Terramax:

WashAran:

Adam Jensen:

....Really?

This is a serious question. How do you know this?

Well there are still big lan-partys, most of the people I know play on pc, the people that I do know that own consoles are not frequent players, and are very few at that, and in general you have to look at esport, plus most magazines where I live(germany) are PC focused.

WashAran:

Adam Jensen:

Andy Chalk:

Well, as a Pole I can tell you it will go something like this in here:

Sony fans: Ha Ha! Now what, Xbox fans?
Microsoft fans: No big deal, they'll include us before the release...
PC fans: Pfft, dirty console peasants got what they deserve.

Of course this is overly exaggerated, but for some reason, every stupid console war dispute is even worse in my country (and yeah PC fans ARE in majority, but not as big as most people think. We do have consoles, guys :P).

I'm actually working in the same building as the CDP Red guys, and I have one friend in there who's a massive Xbox fanboy. I wonder what kind of excuse will he invent to justify this. :P

hooblabla6262:
I find this kind of funny actually.

Last article I read about CD P. was that they were going to support the Xbone regardless of their own stand on Microsofts shady business practices.

Seems Microsoft will not be reciprocating that support </3

Hah, karma has a way of biting you in the arse :)

OT: Yeah, supporting only 21 countries, daily-on (is that a thing now?) and all the other crap, Microsoft are sure digging the Xbone a nice grave. What amazes me is that a similar kind of behaviour (similar in some ways, not the same) buried IBM historically as Microsoft's main competition in OSs at the time, so you'd think someone at Microsoft knew their history (or at least their marketing) well enough not to let shit like this happen... Microsoft has been built on great marketing, I can't imagine how they're not seeing what a stain this will leave on not just their finances, but the whole company as well.

If Sony plays its cards right with the PS4 (and for now, they've been doing a good job of it with little more than "business as usual"), it could knock Microsoft right out of the competition. As of right now, I can't think of a single reason to buy the Xbox One over the PS4 other than being a really long-time, hardcore fan of the console/company.

spunkgarglewiwi:

hermes200:

There won't be any on-line play for you and your countrymen. At all. (But you are still to connect to the Xbox Live, but no multi-player stuff and all that jazz)

Wait... So, the offline content won't check my location, but the online will ?

Damn Microsoft, you are making piracy a little too compelling.

hermes200:

For instance, you can play the single player mode of Battlefield 4. But when it comes to banging out a few multi-player rounds against other players, then a popup with this will appear.

Was there not just an article on this very site about how CD Projekt wasn't worried about the Xbox One's DRM would effect their Studio? Guess they were wrong.

Then I guess.......they just got xboned.

OT: I can't really figure this out to be perfectly honest. I know plenty of Poles who have decent connections. This news is quite astounding, really.

hermes200:

spunkgarglewiwi:

hermes200:

Wait... So, the offline content won't check my location, but the online will ?

There is a rumor that the boxes themselves will have some kind of lock (due to region restrictions) so you might be able to make an account in Brazil but not in the US.

But the truth is that no one really knows how the thing is gonna work. The tidbits are conflictant and not at all clear - MS standard.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here