EA Wants Balance Between Sony and Microsoft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

He has a point, but the Xbone needs to be good first.

EA wants balance between MS & Sony

/Translate
"We want the obscene power MS is willing to steal from you, but we want you to cheer and lavish praise like you did On Sony"

ScrabbitRabbit:
Well, there's Nintendo and the PC/Mac platforms, too. The Playstation has two other enemies to contend with, that should hopefully keep them in check.

I think once the Wii U has some of those awesome E3 games released, it should see quite the sales boost.

The thing is though Nintendo and the PC have not really been competing with the other consoles at all.

The wii U isnt really getting the same games as the ps4/xbox one since developers are shunning it and the PC doesnt really get enough sales to properly compete. When you look at the sales of multiplatform games the PC sales very rarely end up being more then 10%. Even if the xbox one does horrible compared to the ps4 it will still have a larger market share on multiplatform games then the pc.

StewShearer:
"It keeps them focused. They have to outdo each other. The amount of investment they make in our industry important."

He does have a very valid point, and as the article said: competition does indeed help businesses grow to better benefit the consumer.

By his own logic, Sony has officially outdone MS, as such it's MS's turn to respond. The problem is that every response they've given has translated to "Fuck you, consumers!"

Competition in business is fantastic, and in order to maintain a good competition both companies need to be trying their best. Sony put it's best foot forward and people cheered, MS is basically refusing to compete at this point. It's not Sony's fault if every single thing that MS says and does offends their target market. It's like a drag race in which the light turns green and one racer blasts off the starting line while the other racer jumps out of his car and starts ripping his engine apart.

To quote Bill Belichick when he was accused of running up the score when his team clearly outclassed their opponents: "It's not my job to NOT score, it's the other team's job to keep me from scoring." (paraphrased)

Sure, it's a bit of a dick-move to run up the score in a sport when you're beating the crap out of the other team. But what about this case? What, is Sony supposed to make their console shittier just so it can even out with the XBone? Or should MS try to raise itself to the consumer friendly standards that Sony is bringing to the table and hands-down made them the "winner" of E3?

How about we discuss the competition that really matters? The competition between software? Both consoles play games, to practically the same degree, there's your competition. Now go and make some games worthy of the hardware. If publishers adopt the same attitude as EA, then it's only encouraging people to ignore that they're the ones that make the difference. Sure, a console can have a whole bunch of neat features, and sure a console can do everything in its power to shoot itself in the foot, but focusing on what the console is doing, instead of what you're making for the console is focusing on the wrong issue.

Sounds like someone bet on the wrong horse and now worried he's going to loose the house. I find it funny EA of all people complaining of an monopoly.

Little Gray:

ScrabbitRabbit:
Well, there's Nintendo and the PC/Mac platforms, too. The Playstation has two other enemies to contend with, that should hopefully keep them in check.

I think once the Wii U has some of those awesome E3 games released, it should see quite the sales boost.

The thing is though Nintendo and the PC have not really been competing with the other consoles at all.

The wii U isnt really getting the same games as the ps4/xbox one since developers are shunning it and the PC doesnt really get enough sales to properly compete. When you look at the sales of multiplatform games the PC sales very rarely end up being more then 10%. Even if the xbox one does horrible compared to the ps4 it will still have a larger market share on multiplatform games then the pc.

The thing is, Steam is the largest retailer of PC games and they don't release sales numbers. If you get your numbers from VGChartz then... well, don't.

The tracked sales of Crysis on PC on VGchartz: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7182/crysis/ 0.69 mil.

The official sales: http://www.zuse.hessen.de/mm/Konrad_Zuse_Kongress_Yerli_Final.pdf over 3 million units.

VGChartz also attributes lower sales to to the PC version of Portal 2 than to the console version, running contrary comments from Gabe Newell claiming the PC version sold the best. http://www.destructoid.com/portal-2-sold-better-on-pc-than-xbox-360-or-ps3-210194.phtml

The Skyrim sales figures aren't accurate, either, apparently. But I dunno how true that is, because 2.89 million on the PC alone sounds pretty fantastic to me, even if the console versions did better.

Don't get me wrong, the console market is definitely bigger, but it's hard to tell exactly how well a PC game is doing because of Steam's policy.

ScrabbitRabbit:

The thing is, Steam is the largest retailer of PC games and they don't release sales numbers. If you get your numbers from VGChartz then... well, don't.

The tracked sales of Crysis on PC on VGchartz: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/7182/crysis/ 0.69 mil.

The official sales: http://www.zuse.hessen.de/mm/Konrad_Zuse_Kongress_Yerli_Final.pdf over 3 million units.

VGChartz also attributes lower sales to to the PC version of Portal 2 than to the console version, running contrary comments from Gabe Newell claiming the PC version sold the best. http://www.destructoid.com/portal-2-sold-better-on-pc-than-xbox-360-or-ps3-210194.phtml

The Skyrim sales figures aren't accurate, either, apparently. But I dunno how true that is, because 2.89 million on the PC alone sounds pretty fantastic to me, even if the console versions did better.

Don't get me wrong, the console market is definitely bigger, but it's hard to tell exactly how well a PC game is doing because of Steam's policy.

The thing is though Steams policy means fuck all when its a the developer releasing the sales numbers and breakdown which they always end up doing.

The entire XBone clusterduck is neatly summarised in this video I think.

Little Gray:
The thing is though Steams policy means fuck all when its a the developer releasing the sales numbers and breakdown which they always end up doing.

Which is how you can work out whether the sales trackers are right or not. In the Case of Crysis and Portal 2, they clearly aren't. The sales numbers they tracked don't match the released data.

It's not just Steam games, either. Diablo 3 has sold over 12 million copies. http://diablo.somepage.com/news/1489-activision-blizzard-q4-2012-earnings-report

VGChartz does not reflect this: http://www.vgchartz.com/game/24178/diablo-iii/

Little Gray:

that not normally what happens, what normally happens is that NPAD or whatever its called release the north american retail figures.

firstly NA is about 30% of the world market, secondly PC bricks and motar was killed by said bricks and motar 5 years ago

Now is the time for Nintendo to step up its game and push Microsoft out of the way for it to shine.

luvd1:
Sounds like someone bet on the wrong horse and now worried he's going to loose the house. I find it funny EA of all people complaining of an monopoly.

That made me laugh. EA being a monopoly on sports games, and buying as money studios as it can.

captcha: spruce up.. I think that means EA needs a pine scented air freshener.

He's right. Competition is good for the market. The problem with capitalism, especially in America is that big corporations don't want competition. They're afraid of competition. They're too lazy to compete. They are always looking for an easier way to make more money without doing anything. So now they want to find a way to control the consumers and make them dependent on the corporation, instead the other way around. And it's so transparent, it's gonna cost Microsoft a fortune. It just doesn't work.

Well, I'll agree with him in one sense: If the Xbone or PS4 dominates, it'll probably flip to a near-monopoly for whoever wins.

EA hoping everyone forgot that EA (particularly EA sports) does have some sort of exclusive deal with Microsoft regarding the Xbox One out of Ten.

And yes while competition is a good thing that doesnt mean one side cant come out on top, we dont have to support the loser just so theirs competition. and it would be more convincing if EA hadnt recently decalrd war on Nintendo.

I didnt see this concern for Sony when the PS3 came out and the 360 was giving it the skull fuck of its life from the start.

Might have thought about that before you and your ilk goaded MS into making a DRM box, EA.

Wait isn't EA backing Xbox One with it's sports network or something? If so how can one talk about balance when you're so deeply invested in the one side than the other. But it is true that competition does benefit the consumers to some extent. Not just competition between the consoles, but the game companies as well. If the publishers worked just as hard to win over sales to their games we'd seen mountains of innovation. Playing it safe is almost as bad as a monopoly by one console or the other. Things stagnate.

Xbox had its time on top. Its time to hand over the crown for awhile.

Even if the XBOne bombs spectacularly, the games market won't be "dominated by one machine". Sure, there will only be one of the technically similar consoles around, but it won't be alone. There's still both WiiU and the PC. And if EA won't develop for either of them, well, that's too bad for them.

Arawn:
Wait isn't EA backing Xbox One with it's sports network or something? If so how can one talk about balance when you're so deeply invested in the one side than the other. But it is true that competition does benefit the consumers to some extent. Not just competition between the consoles, but the game companies as well. If the publishers worked just as hard to win over sales to their games we'd seen mountains of innovation. Playing it safe is almost as bad as a monopoly by one console or the other. Things stagnate.

I would agree that this is part of EA's problem with the next generation consoles, but I think a lot of folks have missed the real problem for EA. In a single system race, large publishers will fear losing a great deal of power, small developers will fear losing access.

If there is only one console horse race, the balance of power shifts from the publisher to the system manufacturer. EA can no longer say "I'll take it to the other system and potentially make it exclusive" if there isn't another competing system.

The best example I can find of a single system generation would has been the Nintendo during the NES and SNES generations. Sony could push a restrictive licensing policy that had content guidelines that disallowed sexuality, profanity, drugs, and a bunch of other items similar to Nintendo did. Additionally, they could limit the number of games released by a given publisher on a per year basis, similar to Nintendo did, or limit the number of licenses to the point that small publishers get pushed out of the market altogether.

All of this makes EA uncomfortable. It will mean the loss of the "600lb gorilla" attitude that they've had for quite some time now.

I can't help but think that EA doesn't want Microsoft to fail because they want to be able to profit as much as possible and if they side too much with one company they'll tip this "balance" that they eagerly want to maintain.

I don't believe there's such a thing as "balanced competition." You can't be balanced if you're competing. That's the whole point of competing, to try and out do the other side and "win." If both parties are competing in the same balanced way... nothing's really moving forward. It's only when a wrench is thrown in and tips the scales does real progress and chance occur.

Sorry EA... you don't get my accolades just yet.

I understand where he's coming from. Without competition or anyone forcing Sony to be on their feet- they may get lazy with game development and produce 'alright' to 'bad' quality games. On the other hand, I must point out that Nintendo, as well as other companies including ones associated with PC gaming are worthy competitors too.

In other words, it only leaves me to worry a bit but not get stressed over. Microsoft should in fact, thought of the consumers first and decided what's best for them instead of treating each individual like a criminal... actually, more like sheep. At least criminals have rights in sharing things- sheep only get fed what they're given by people who completely control their lives.

By the way, not calling anyone a sheep. But Microsoft sees us as such.

I hope the XBox One falls flat on its face and forces MS to quit the console race and get back to the PC, its really bad for the PC player base to have a console manufacturer that views the PC as a competitor for its player base, being the majority supplier of the PC's OS.

I am in the opinion that MS have deliberately been sabotaging the PC as a hardcore gaming platform via lack of development of DX and sudden drop of dedicated hardware support for audio cards.
I bet MS would of loved to drop dedicated video card support as well but nVidia and ATi are both way more influential than Creative and the audio card manufacturers.
I believe MS would be as happy as punch if the PC was turned into a oversized iOS / Android platform so MS can still supply the business side of the PC with the OS and Office, while pulling in the royalties and licences for core games with its console.

In short MS hates competition.

In a ideal world it would serve MS right if PC gamers and developers suddenly took to Linux and was able to drop the MS OS.
Isnt it a bit much to have a competitor being the majority supplier of one of the competitions vital components?

EA has no right to tell others what 'pushes gaming forward'. :D Moving on...

I happen to agree that competition's good, but if Microsoft's going to make a console that benefits companies like EA at the expense of players, they don't understand what competition is about. Microsoft has made it easy for their competitor to slip in paid online and some social bullshit and deliver an otherwise unembelished console, something that I'd expected to be mildly good news tempered by the paid online, but is instead almost revered because of how terribly Microsoft fucked up.

I'm starting to question the thescapist community intellectual capacity when some are rooting for a sony monopoly(given any monopoly(given any monopoly is bad PERIOD).The worst part of MS droping out of the console race would be the game prices shooting up to 70-90 in american dollars.

EA: "Competition is great, that's why we are monopolizing all the brands and teams exclusively for our sports games..."

So, does that mean EA disbands as a company and reinstates the other studios they swallowed and then destroyed? :o

Vivid Kazumi:
I'm starting to question the thescapist community intellectual capacity when some are rooting for a sony monopoly(given any monopoly(given any monopoly is bad PERIOD).The worst part of MS droping out of the console race would be the game prices shooting up to 70-90 in american dollars.

It wouldn't be a monopoly if the xbone failed though. There is still the Wii U and PCs to compete with the PS4.

Trishbot:
Who needs Microsoft? Let's get Nintendo back into the running.

Or, better yet, tell Microsoft to take the bench. Who wants to nominate Sega? Dreamcast 2 with Shenmue III?

I'm all for sega getting their crown back and becoming the 3rd major console :D

All hail the Sega Sonic box! (I just want a blue console)

LOL. Seems fairly obvious to me that this guy is just butthurt because Sony decided not to go along with the "fuck the consumer" gameplan that they were hoping for. Remember how EA has apologized for being asshats and cramming DRM and online passes down our throats and admitting they made a mistake..? Does anyone honestly believe they would have done that if they hadn't anticipated next gen's console manufacturers to impose this DRM for them and take the heat off of them. Hell to the no! Things didn't go exactly EA's way so now they're crying foul. That's all this bullshit PR statement is about. He may have hid it in the guise of a factual argument that competition is good for markets but a polished turd is still a turd and you can smell the bullshit wafting off this a mile away. But seriously, it's EA. What do you expect? :P

luvd1:

QFT

I agree, EA put their eggs in MS basket & now they want to put a load into Sony's due to the gamer backlash. EA cannot talk about competition since it is one of biggest monopolist entities in the game publishing industry which buys out the competition and guts it.

I agree, competition in the market-place is a good thing. However, competition is not possible when one company's competitors prove so grotesquely inept. The market is not going to just throw money at a competing product that is so clearly unsuitable to the market's purposes and interest just for the sake of maintaining competition; company's are not altruistic and neither is the market at large. If you want Microsoft to be a competitor to Sony, tell Microsoft to stop fucking itself with a telephone coated in glass, iron spikes, and wasabi sauce. If you want Nintendo to be a competitor to Sony, tell Nintendo to step-up to the plate and actually DO SOMETHING. Simply wishing for one company to not dominate the market does not nothing; you have to get its competitors to stop sucking so much.

(Where in the whole of the fucking Universe do game companies find these executives? Are common sense and cognitive ability surgically removed when one becomes a corporate executive?)

XX Y XY:
LOL. Seems fairly obvious to me that this guy is just butthurt because Sony decided not to go along with the "fuck the consumer" gameplan that they were hoping for. Remember how EA has apologized for being asshats and cramming DRM and online passes down our throats and admitting they made a mistake..? Does anyone honestly believe they would have done that if they hadn't anticipated next gen's console manufacturers to impose this DRM for them and take the heat off of them. Hell to the no! Things didn't go exactly EA's way so now they're crying foul. That's all this bullshit PR statement is about. He may have hid it in the guise of a factual argument that competition is good for markets but a polished turd is still a turd and you can smell the bullshit wafting off this a mile away. But seriously, it's EA. What do you expect? :P

That's a good point, one I didn't realize myself (and normally I do see through these sort of double-speak shenanigans). EA probably was hoping that gamers would just jump on the MS console just because and be locked into throwing tons of money at EA. But, EA wasn't counting on the fact the market is not as stupid as they were hoping and that people would simply decide not to buy it.

Once again, a company only hears and understands two sounds, the creak of your wallet opening and the slap of your wallet closing; all other sounds are noise to be ignored. EA clearly heard the slap of many, many wallets closing, and, consequently, being that is one of the only two sounds companies (especially ones like EA) hear and understand, they are forced to respond. Although, one has to wonder, then, what the hell's going on at Microsoft. Do they not hear and understand the slap, or have they become so stupidly drunk on their own arrogance that even the two sounds have lost meaning (in which case, the only thing left for them is the wake-up call when they get sodomized by the telephone pole of reality)?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here