DayZ Coming to PS4, Ditching Xbox One

Pages 1 2 NEXT

DayZ Coming to PS4, Ditching Xbox One

dayz2

The creator of the standalone zombie survival game says that Microsoft has forced his hand.

Dean "Rocket" Hall is working on a standalone version of his popular Arma II mod, DayZ, and has been for... a good while. Despite the numerous delays, Hall is looking ahead and says that the game will likely come to next-gen consoles after the PC release. After hearing the details of the Xbox One, however, Hall may only be bringing DayZ to the PC and PS4, considering Microsoft's indie-unfriendly policies.

"We're happy to see DayZ on any console," Hall says, "but there is a... I guess one problem. The console needs to not charge for us to do updates and it needs to be indie title friendly." As it stands, the Xbox One is zero for two on those requirements: Microsoft's running strategy restricts indie publishing, and their policy of charging exorbitant fees for post-release patches has proved disruptive for even the most successful indie studios.

Meanwhile, Sony has been expressing interest in getting DayZ onto the PS4 for months now, and Hall is attracted to their free patching policy - especially given the bug-ridden status of DayZ. "It's gonna take a long time for us to be able to iron this out and we don't wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars - whatever it is - every time we wanna do an update."

Hall did mention that he's not ethically opposed to an Xbox One port in the future, but it won't come without change from Microsoft. In other words... don't hold your breath.

Source: Edge

Yeah that sounds like a good idea if they are that hostile to indies and updates. Looking forward to trying it on the ps4 though.

Remember when we were playing the "Oh god why won't the bad news stop?!" game with EA and simcity? Looks like Microsoft made the sequel! Sadly it still has DRM...

I don't think this is going to be a game-changer in the console war, but it's telling to those who are watching such things with attention. Between things like this and XBLA darlings like Jonathon Blow (of Braid) deciding to leave Microsoft's console out of future plans, it may add up.

Huh...maybe this is old news but I didn't know that Sony didn't charge for patches.

I learned something new today!

Atta boy Dean. Keeping away from that restrictive, invasive, nightmarish excuse of a console is best for everybody. Hopefully more people and publishers will get away from the Xbone before it gets released and sinks faster than a Titanic made of lead.

This is going to go on and on, we're never gonig to hear the end of this. Mircosoft will change or god help us we'll just loose the will to slag them off for being shit and it'll just be a console without 3rd party indy games or well anyone this is exhausting. Where is nintendo with there next motion honey badger innovation for me to slag off... I miss them being at E3 they're just dumb... Microsoft are just evil(or retarded its hard to tell).

And the hits just keep on coming.

How many nails do we need to finally put the Xbox One in the grave? Or are we past nails by now?

"we don't wanna have to be paying ten, twenty thousand dollars"

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why would an update cost anything? What's the cost to Microsoft that forces the price so ridiculously high?

Dreadman75:

How many nails do we need to finally put the Xbox One in the grave? Or are we past nails by now?

I think we've gone far beyond nails and into "mowing the lawn with a nuclear warhead" territory.

Speaking of indies: the whole reason they came into existence was to get away from over-demanding publishers. Now with Microsoft's XBone (XBox dONE, whatever you wish to call it), it's going to set a huge trend for indie developers to go to systems that don't heavily cater to publisher's every whim.

MrGalactus:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why would an update cost anything? What's the cost to Microsoft that forces the price so ridiculously high?

Last year Tim Schafer mentioned that it cost them 40k per patch in an interview
http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

So yes - on top of the fact that Microsoft insists all indie devs must use a publisher, you can't really blame them for saying no to that.

Oh dayum, that's a big blow. DayZ's pretty popular, a PS4 console exclusive is a big win for them.

I've been waiting for developers to say their words on the next gen consoles, particularly Gabe Newell's. I guess this is the start. Mojang, Valve, and id are the ones to watch for.

I was kinda wondering what happened to this game. From what I've seen, the game looks fun, if a little rough around the edges.

I'll probably get it for the PS4.

MrGalactus:

"We can do it and get away with it."

And honestly, for most of the last gen that was true. Then Sony got more indie friendly and Nintendo seemed to and Microsoft refused to adapt. They still think they're king of the mountain, even after burying indie games and charging ridiculous fees.

Microsoft tends to do what they think they can get away with. This is a gamble that seems to be losing time and again this time around. However, it's based firmly in the fact that they were getting away with it only a couple years ago.

Respectfully, (*bleep*) 'em. 360 already got a better Zombie open world game in State of Decay; and Undead Labs has already confirmed that they will be working on an expanded version for Xbox-One given the massive success of the current version on Xbox Arcade.

If "Rocket" honestly thinks taking their game is going to hurt Microsoft, they have a delusionally high opinion of themselves and their Arma Mod Game.

Also, small indie companies not supporting Xbox-One will, really, have very little fiscal/profit impact on the console; it's already been confirmed that nearly every major publisher and developer is supporting the XBone, and given that they stand to gain from Microsoft's DRM (i.e. not losing out to used games sales) that's really a given.

I know people hate the DRM/Check In thing, and that's fine. I've got buddies currently deployed that are, to put it mildly, very, very disappointed. But none of that is going to stop great games from coming out in abundance for XBone. So, well, yeah, there it is.

I do not understand why Microsoft continues to enforce this price on patches for games. It just doesn't make any good business sense when it comes to indie developers. Hell, they even remove or minimize the price for a certain few popular games (minecraft being one of them).

roguewriter:
Respectfully, (*bleep*) 'em. 360 already got a better Zombie open world game in State of Decay; and Undead Labs has already confirmed that they will be working on an expanded version for Xbox-One given the massive success of the current version on Xbox Arcade.

If "Rocket" honestly thinks taking their game is going to hurt Microsoft, they have a delusionally high opinion of themselves and their Arma Mod Game.

Also, small indie companies not supporting Xbox-One will, really, have very little fiscal/profit impact on the console; it's already been confirmed that nearly every major publisher and developer is supporting the XBone, and given that they stand to gain from Microsoft's DRM (i.e. not losing out to used games sales) that's really a given.

I know people hate the DRM/Check In thing, and that's fine. I've got buddies currently deployed that are, to put it mildly, very, very disappointed. But none of that is going to stop great games from coming out in abundance for XBone. So, well, yeah, there it is.

I don't believe he ever claimed that he would "hurt" Microsoft. Try not to read stuff into quotes that isn't there.

What he said was "I won't port to Xbox One because I cannot afford it", which causes EVEN MORE bad will towards Microsoft, but whatever. He's just explaining why DayZ won't be there.

Don't jump to defend every perceived slight against Xbox One, you'll go insane.

Kiya:

MrGalactus:

Last year Tim Schafer mentioned that it cost them 40k per patch in an interview
http://www.hookshotinc.com/interview-schafers-millions/

So yes - on top of the fact that Microsoft insists all indie devs must use a publisher, you can't really blame them for saying no to that.

Holy absolute SHIT that's a lot of demands. What do they want from them? Surely that'll force every indie dev to never use that system again?

Zachary Amaranth:

MrGalactus:

"We can do it and get away with it."

And honestly, for most of the last gen that was true. Then Sony got more indie friendly and Nintendo seemed to and Microsoft refused to adapt. They still think they're king of the mountain, even after burying indie games and charging ridiculous fees.

Microsoft tends to do what they think they can get away with. This is a gamble that seems to be losing time and again this time around. However, it's based firmly in the fact that they were getting away with it only a couple years ago.

There's no way you can ask an indie dev to give up such a massive chunk of their money they could be using for development, and respond with "because we can" when they ask why. They must've given a reason, even a bullshit one.

roguewriter:

You show those poor indies! Let us go and kick the homeless, stop at orphanages with puppies, then drive away laughing!

They just said they won't put their game on the console due to the high price of support, and wanting to support their game, and you jump all over them. It's sad.

MrGalactus:

There's no way you can ask an indie dev to give up such a massive chunk of their money they could be using for development, and respond with "because we can" when they ask why. They must've given a reason, even a bullshit one.

The usual reason given is that Microsoft pays their own people to quality test every patch before it is allowed to go live. But half the time they still end up with patches that introduce more bugs or cause the well known save game corruption bug - then the devs have to pay to do another patch or end up just leaving the game as it is and not bothering to try patching again because they simply can't afford it.

Kiya:

MrGalactus:

The usual reason given is that Microsoft pays their own people to quality test every patch before it is allowed to go live. But half the time they still end up with patches that introduce more bugs or cause the well known save game corruption bug - then the devs have to pay to do another patch or end up just leaving the game as it is and not bothering to try patching again because they simply can't afford it.

That is diabolical

MrGalactus:

thats the reason BF3 only got updated on DLC's, since you payed for said update

A "one" problem indeed. Flee while you still can!

MrGalactus:

When you're Microsoft, "because we can" is a good enough reason. Microsoft wagered they'd pay it. And you know what? It worked. Quite a bit.

And since people have brought up the QA argument, their QA is crap. Even with the extra time spent on games ostensibly being tested for compatibility, they've released a bunch of games with serious glitches, including games that wouldn't even freaking load. Honestly, I expect a higher level of quality from a platform that pulls this, but you get a more robust experiece from Steam and PS3.

MrGalactus:

"Seventy-Two portraits and that was the best one."

Well that was a ringing endorsement of Microsft's indie support. /sarcasm

And we're not talking about some crappy platformer, DayZ sent ARMA 2 to the top of the Steam sales charts and helped kick-start the zombie-sim genre.

Kiya:

Really? That's... the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So basically they don't think indies should exist then? Considering an indie with a publisher is no longer an indie and all that..

OT: This is a good thing, the more prominent developers speak out against the damn thing and its policies, and more importantly, follow through on it, the better. Big creds to Dean Hall.

MrGalactus:

When CCP where developing Dust: 514 they where considering bringing it to both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, they scrubbed the 360 version and one of the reasons was that "Microsoft want developers to avoid free DLC and updates so they charge the developers when they want to update a game to encourage them to charge for it so Microsoft can take a cut out of the points transaction".

Whether thats true or not I don't know but its what CCP claimed at the time.

Indie wise Sony have been pushing the boat out, the Vita is a great indie platform now. The new buy a PSN store game and get both the PS3 and the Vita version with transferable saves and progress is great too.

J Tyran:

MrGalactus:

When CCP where developing Dust: 514 they where considering bringing it to both the Xbox 360 and the PS3, they scrubbed the 360 version and one of the reasons was that "Microsoft want developers to avoid free DLC and updates so they charge the developers when they want to update a game to encourage them to charge for it so Microsoft can take a cut out of the points transaction".

Whether thats true or not I don't know but its what CCP claimed at the time.

DICE said the same thing for BF3, so i would say its true

See this is how consoles should fail, in a calm and relaxed manner pointing out bad practices will be left to the side to wither and die.

Now if only the rest of devs find a modicum of standards we will be just fine.

well you have to remember that Microsoft set up the system when they were king of the hill. When publishers and devs didn't really have any alternative but to toe the Xbox 360 line if they wanted to sell their games to what was at that time by far the biggest audience. Then Steam set up their system allowing devs to self publish, price their games and do updates as often as they want/need to which is why there has been a mass exodus of indie devs to Steam over the last few years.

I find it amusing that so far Microsoft seem to be trying to ape Steam by pushing all of Steam's restrictions with the Xbox one and providing none of the benefits to either devs or consumers (free dedicated servers, free friends, chat, groups, in-game browser, the steam hubs for each game where you can upload screenshots, artwork, link youtube vids, the streamlining of using game mods with the steam workshop - all for free.) It's as though they looked at the Steam model, saw $$$ signs and never looked at any of the underlying reasons for why it works as well as it does, or blinkered themselves by only seeing how it could benefit publishers.

Sony on the other hand seem to have actually done some research and have not only added some of Steam's benefits for developers to the PS4, but one upped the PC/steam model for gamers who still want to be able to lend or resell their games without any restriction. I'm looking forwards to it. :-)

Sounds good, I'll be getting the stand alone on PC, but nice to know I have a 2nd option. Also bloody hell, charging them that much for a update? That is just terrible.

roguewriter:

Where did he say anything about 'hurting' MS?

I mean, if you can afford patches worth $40,000, you're most welcome to develop games for XBone. But don't jump on someone else's throat if he finds it fiscally unsound.

MrGalactus:

I think (though don't quote me on this) this is the reason that Valve stopped updating (if they started at all) TF2 on Xbox. They've updated the game countless times now. Hundreds. Each one of those updates would have cost them thousands to Microsoft. Because of this the game is still in it's very early stages compared to the PC counter part.

Dreadman75:

I think by now we're nailing the coffin shut with telephone poles. Made from tungsten. Dropped from orbit.
ReelPhysics did a video involving kinetic bombardment and now it's almost overtaken directed energy weapons as my favourite almost real weapon. Dropping huge tungsten rods from orbit? Fucking. Awesome.

Gravity can be a real bitch sometimes. It's also an excuse to post this
http://youtu.be/hLpgxry542M?t=20s

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook