First Party Xbox One Games Will Cost $60

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

First Party Xbox One Games Will Cost $60

Xbox One

Microsoft will maintain a $60 price tag for first party software.

Sony won a significant public relations victory at its E3 press conference. In addition to excluding always online and used games restrictions a la Xbox One, the PS4 was announced to cost a hundred dollars less than Microsoft's console. That said, Microsoft may now have a chance for a bit of a counter when it comes to the pricing of games. Whereas Sony is largely staying mum on the cost of next-gen games, Microsoft has revealed that its first party software for Xbox One will be priced the same as on the Xbox 360: $59.99 a game.

Microsoft's pricing announcement comes alongside what could be taken as reluctance from Sony to confirm its own software prices. While PlayStation boss Jack Tretton had previously said PS4 games would cost "from 99 cents to $60," Shuhei Yoshida, head of worldwide game development for Sony, wouldn't confirm prices when asked recently. While he said that he "[knows] the pricing," he wouldn't offer a solid number.

Yoshida's reluctance to solidify first party pricing could amount to nothing, but it's hard not to worry that Sony might raise its prices in the future. There would be arguably legitimate reasons for doing so. Based on current inflation rates, videogames are already cheaper than they were at the launch of the PS3. Additionally, the cost of making games continues to rise and Yoshida confirmed that PS4 development costs would be "slightly larger" when compared to current generation software. The only real reason Sony has not to boost its prices is consumer backlash. Given its recent trend of people pleasing, that might be enough. That said, only time will tell.

Source: Kotaku

Sounds to me like Sony were being cagey, waiting for Microsoft to say what they were going for.

Oo, that's nice, wonder if Sony are going to announce a silly price riding on the back of the happy wave they've been enjoying for the last week. That would be an unfortunate thing to do.

seditary:
Sounds to me like Sony were being cagey, waiting for Microsoft to say what they were going for.

I really hope that's the case. I know technically that games are cheaper now than they ever have been, but $60 is still a considerable amount to spend on a game when you're worrying about a mortgage and what-not at the same time. On that note, however, The Last of Us is totally worth $60. :)

Ugh. It would suck, but I'd rather pay higher price to own my games than pay a lower price for a "life-time rental" from Microsoft. Even though I could afford it, a price hike in general doesn't sound like a good thing for the industry as a whole cause its obvious games are too expensive for people buy games frequently and thus support the cost of development (even if inflation does mean games are cheaper now)

Are we talking $60 American or $60 dollars Australian or both.
Because last time I checked on average a brand new game in Australia costs roundabout $100 just for the plain normal version so if they are bringing that down to $60 that's good.......still not getting an Xbone though.

I pay about $60 including postage anyway for new imports from European countries, and consider it a bargain. How about universal pricing instead of fucking twice the amount in Australia? That'd get you some points Sony. Really. I would point at you every day for a week.

(No really, it'd be much appreciated.)

Considering the steady inflation video games have become cheaper and cheaper.

The last price increase I know of was for PC back in 1999 when Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun was sold for 99 DM instead of the usual 79 DM.
Yea that is 13 years without price increase and despite this many PC games are still sold even today for 39€ which is the old price before C&C:TS! (e.g. Remember Me: http://www.amazon.de/Capcom-Remember-Me-PC/dp/B00A8C8NLS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371298544&sr=8-2&keywords=Remember+Me )

I know for dead sure that PS1 games were 120 DM back then. That is almost 20 years without price increase for console games!
And TBH I believe even more. I think even SNES games did cost 120 DM but I can't confirm this.

So the truth many gamer don't want to hear is that their games did in fact not get more expensive but cheaper.

This doesn't tell me prices of anywhere outside USA and those stay consistent anyway, its everywhere else that could be interesting.

Oh come on, 60 dollars isn't a bad price. We pay 120 dollars for a new game in Australia.

And that's why the used game market exists kids. Back in the day games were very expensive, now we're all used to games being cheap mostly due to online shopping. It will be interesting to see what Sony does. But that is a point, is it time for the game price to reflect the actual cost of making them?

I doubt they will cost more than $60. Or else that $100 cheaper console price would mean very little once you have a handful of games. As another person said, I suspect they were waiting to see what the Xbox prices would be first.

I just knew they'd pass the savings they made with all the used games restrictions onto the consumer!

WELL THAT'S JUST... wait, that's sane. That's Microsoft actually not making a mistake here, what gives?

knight steel:
Are we talking $60 American or $60 dollars Australian or both.
Because last time I checked on average a brand new game in Australia costs roundabout $100 just for the plain normal version so if they are bringing that down to $60 that's good.......still not getting an Xbone though.

Exactly.

People were praising the PS4's $400 pricetag, but then they came out and said $550 for Australia versus $600 for Microsoft. You're marking up your console more than MS; you're not good guys, you're just as scummy as last gen. MS are trying to eliminate piracy (a noble gesture) but the 24 hour thing is not the way to go about it, nor is data tracking people. I don't think the increase in games purchases will offset the reduced console uptake either.

Granted, Amazon is shipping the PS4 to us for $420 so I know where I'm buying it from seeing how cheap the release prices are now ($800-1000 PS3? What the hell were they smoking?)

I mean, I have 5 x360s for christ's sake in my house in use as $50-70 media centres! That's as cheap as a Raspberry Pi but they also allow Media Centre between them so I can resume playback, and I can also play games on any I feel like.

Though I suppose 4 years down the line the price really won't matter, and we'll see which console edges out in front. If retailers, developers, or the average person are pissed off about your console (none seem to be thus far; the minority that read gaming news don't count) then sales will tank. Retailers because they're the ones shipping the bloody thing to most people, developers because you need good exclusives, and the average person because they're buying it and if they don't have anyone else to play with as no one else bought the console as they're with a dodgy ISP that cuts off occasionally (not a foreign concept here) then they won't buy it.

This is old news. They have been advertised on amazon already for a week.....i even wrote a thread about it a few days ago. lol. 55 in the UK or $60 in America.

Granted the price could come down in time, i think PS3 or 360 games were really expensive to begin with. An thats why im not buying any new consoles. Imagine buy a game that lasts 8 hours for 55? Its bad enough you have to pay 35 for that now, but an extra 20? Yeah, no way. PS4, not so bad due to ease of second hand games and rentals, but Xbone? Yeah, game price is another negative. If they were gonna put all these anti consumer stuff on the console, then sell the games for 30.

....well dont mircorsoft, i was expecting a price increase in general but for them to not have one is a really pleasant surprise

still havnt changed my mind though

If it was a drastic price increase I could see how that would be trouble for Sony. No one wants to pay say double what they are paying now.

But if the price for new games only goes up say $5 I think people would rather just pay $5 more for new games than deal with the mess Microsoft is attempting to "re-educate" us with. The way some games have gotten lately sure Microsoft might sell you the game for $60 but how much would you have to spend for all the downloads to have the compete game?

Bring back $49.99 for game pricing.

I like how no one has noticed the "FIRST PARTY GAMES" point in the post.

sure, games from microsoft will be $60, but how much is the next Call of Halo: Battlelines (Need for Gears) going to cost?

SonOfVoorhees:
Its bad enough you have to pay 35 for that now, but an extra 20? Yeah, no way.

Its 40 for a console game is it not? It also used to be 30 for a PC game, but the developers/publishers seem to have thrown that out the window recently with more and more games costing 40-45 on Steam these days and the CoD games costing even more. PC gaming has things that balance that out though such as competing companies trying to sell the game - for example ROme2 was originally up for 45 on Steam, but 30 on Amazon, but now Steam has dropped the price to 30 as I imagine not many people were taking them up on their 15 more expensive deal.

I agree that 55 is a ridiculous price as well (almost $90) and would hope that any company selling their games for that price will see a huge drop in sales.

I want you all to come to Australia and try buy a game. $60 is cheap!

"$60 to rent my game for as long as Microsoft decides? $60 to play when and where I can play?? $60 to not be able to resell my game if it turns out to be terrible??! SIGN ME UP!"

Sigh. There are far too many stupid people in the world, that this will undoubtedly be the case.

Dark Knifer:
This doesn't tell me prices of anywhere outside USA and those stay consistent anyway, its everywhere else that could be interesting.

All the placeholder prices for Xbone and PS4 games in the UK are holding at a steady 55 or... $86.7. Current generation new titles at launch are about 45/$70.67.

Gotta be loving that tax on not being american in gaming.

The xbox can do wehatever it wants, if it's region locked it can fuck off and die in a hole :D

Seriously? People are complaint games are expensive now? Fek right off! You lot have no idea how cheap $60/35 for a game really is. When street fighter II came out in 1992 it cost $74.99, in today's prices that would be $121.69/77.66. Just for street fighter fekin 2!!!

MeChaNiZ3D:
I pay about $60 including postage anyway for new imports from European countries, and consider it a bargain. How about universal pricing instead of fucking twice the amount in Australia? That'd get you some points Sony. Really. I would point at you every day for a week.

(No really, it'd be much appreciated.)

This isn't exclusive to Australia. I've seen plenty of games in retail stores in Norway that, converted to USD, cost about $104.

StewShearer:

seditary:

I really hope that's the case. I know technically that games are cheaper now than they ever have been, but $60 is still a considerable amount to spend on a game when you're worrying about a mortgage and what-not at the same time. On that note, however, The Last of Us is totally worth $60. :)

It doesn't hurt that our actual buying power is down too, meaning that the technical decrease in game price due to inflation may be utterly meaningless even if you don't have a mortgage.

StewShearer:
There would be arguably legitimate reasons for doing so. Based on current inflation rates, videogames are already cheaper than they were at the launch of the PS3.

Not quite. You're citing inflation, but also ignoring the fact that average wages and income have not risen in line with inflation. People have less disposable income now because of the way the economy has been affected by the various financial fuck-ups. While inflation means technically games may not be as expensive, in real-world terms they are just as expensive if not moreso given how average income is not rising as it should be.

It was said that PS4 games would cost between $0.99 and $60. I am comfortable paying another five dollars for a new game, but not much higher since I know I will be able to trade in games to help pay for the new one.

"H-Hey guys, we may cost a hundred dollars more a-and require you to log on once every 24 hours via a broadband connection, but at least we only make you pay the same as you ever did always for games, r-right? It's over, Sony is finished!"

Seriously.

Kalezian:
I like how no one has noticed the "FIRST PARTY GAMES" point in the post.

sure, games from microsoft will be $60, but how much is the next Call of Halo: Battlelines (Need for Gears) going to cost?

I was thinking about too when I read the title. Yay I guess? How many first party titles did Microsoft release last gen? 9 out of 10 games people buy (for non-Nintendo consoles anyway) are third party

luvd1:
Seriously? People are complaint games are expensive now? Fek right off! You lot have no idea how cheap $60/35 for a game really is. When street fighter II came out in 1992 it cost $74.99, in today's prices that would be $121.69/77.66. Just for street fighter fekin 2!!!

Just because they are cheaper than they used to be does not mean they aren't still expensive.

Glaice:
Bring back $49.99 for game pricing.

Pretty much only PC games go for that much nowadays, and that's great. Some scummy publishers like EA and Bethesda tend to charge +$10 because they can.

Console games tend to pay more because they have to go through validation. I have no idea why first-party games my MS charge extra for their in-house validation.

SonOfVoorhees:
This is old news. They have been advertised on amazon already for a week.....i even wrote a thread about it a few days ago. lol. 55 in the UK or $60 in America.

Granted the price could come down in time, i think PS3 or 360 games were really expensive to begin with. An thats why im not buying any new consoles. Imagine buy a game that lasts 8 hours for 55? Its bad enough you have to pay 35 for that now, but an extra 20? Yeah, no way. PS4, not so bad due to ease of second hand games and rentals, but Xbone? Yeah, game price is another negative. If they were gonna put all these anti consumer stuff on the console, then sell the games for 30.

Well, if you think about it, 55 for 8 hours of entertainment is not that bad. It's not great, but it's not bad. You're looking at ~7 per hour of entertainment.

I don't know what the equivalent prices are in the UK, but in the US, a ticket to see a 2 hour movie costs about $12, and if you want any snacks, that brings it up to about $20. Which brings it out to $6-10/hour of entertainment.

A $60, 8 hour game is at ~$7.50/hour. So really, buying an 8 hour game is roughly equivalent to going to the cinema. And if you happen to put more than 8 hours into it, which, to be honest, happens far more often than most people on the internet would have you believe, it just becomes a better and better deal. Then you get the games like Skyrim or Fallout or Borderlands or whatever that people sink hundreds upon hundreds of hours into, and the game cost them pennies per hour of entertainment.

It's a significantly higher up-front investment, yes, but overall, games really aren't that expensive. Obviously, cheaper is better, and we'd all like that, but value-per-dollar wise, most games are not nearly as expensive as the internet would have you believe. It's well within the bounds of other forms of entertainment.

SkarKrow:

Dark Knifer:

All the placeholder prices for Xbone and PS4 games in the UK are holding at a steady 55 or... $86.7. Current generation new titles at launch are about 45/$70.67.

Gotta be loving that tax on not being american in gaming.

The xbox can do wehatever it wants, if it's region locked it can fuck off and die in a hole :D

It is region locked. Shall I get the shovel?

OT: Well not saying I'm surprised about this. Although a lot of games on the PS3 have been really cheap when bought new, but then again this is for first party titles. Still, I rarely buy new games when they first come out. Heck I rarely buy a new game that was released that year.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here