Xbox One's Launch Titles Include Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Xbox One's Launch Titles Include Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct

Still considering getting an Xbox One on launch? Here's a list of games you'll be able to "license" from Microsoft.

So while the Xbox One is apparently not something a large proportion of the gaming community wants, there are (possibly) people out there that do want to purchase it, and those people will probably want to know what games will be available at launch. Here is a full list day one and "launch window" games for the system, according to official announcements and available Gamestop bundles.

Day One:

• Battlefield 4
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Dead Rising 3
  • FIFA 14
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • LocoCycle
  • Madden NFL 25
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kinect Sports Rivals
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Skylanders: Swap Force
  • Watch Dogs

And here are the launch window titles, which will be available between Day 1 and the end of March 2014:

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  • Just Dance 2014
  • Minecraft: Xbox One Edition
  • NBA 2k14
  • Need for Speed: Rivals
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Project Spark
  • The Crew
  • Titanfall
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order

The list is nothing to scoff at, bringing heavy hitting exclusives like Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Ryse: Son of Rome on day one, and following it up with some of the biggest multi-platform releases in the launch window.

The Xbox One will be available this November for $499, provided, of course, you happen to live in one of the 21 countries where the system will be available at launch.

Source: IGN

Wow... ..there's only one title I'd even consider buying.

I won't, because it means buying an XBone, but it's good to know I won't be missing much.

Their launch exclusives are seriously underwhelming. I don't know anyone whose has something nice to say about Ryse, the new Killer Instinct hasn't done anything in my eyes to distinguish itself as a fighting game and I still think it's so weird to do a dark and gritty version of Dead Rising.

But the multiplatform titles are solid and I'm pretty sure anyone buying a console on launch will have plenty of games to occupy them until the bigger multiplatforms start kicking in. Timed exclusive of CoD might still pay off for MS

That really is underwhelming, I remember the last launch and it seems like all the launch titles were bragging about all the new stuff the hardware could let them do.

I'm not seeing new and interesting game mechanics, all I'm seeing is slightly better graphics. Where's the bold new games pushing the envelope when it comes to gameplay?

So basically, the only interesting exclusive the Xbone has at launch is Dead Rising 3? And the only vaguely interesting exclusive for the a good 5 months after the launch is Project Spark? That is disappointing. Makes me even gladder I don't plan on getting one. :\

The WiiU called. It is not impressed with the Xbones launch lineup.

Dear MS,
Sony has a message about the launch of the Xbone...
"Just Let It Happen, It'll Be Over Soon."

kajinking:
That really is underwhelming, I remember the last launch and it seems like all the launch titles were bragging about all the new stuff the hardware could let them do.

I'm not seeing new and interesting game mechanics, all I'm seeing is slightly better graphics. Where's the bold new games pushing the envelope when it comes to gameplay?

Well if it's anything like the previous generation which also complained about the same thing, we'll see like maybe, a thousand titles.

How many of these are even exclusives?

Guess what Microsoft. The games I'm most interested in are Destiny and Watch Dogs. And those are multi platofrm. So... yea. Getting a PS4. I also have an interest in Knack because I like the style. So you can take your Killer Instict and Dead Rising 3 and... politely give them to someone else because I won't be assed.

DVS BSTrD:

Excellent question.

So I went through each game and categorized them for your convenience. Anything that is multi-platform was left black, exclusives to the Xbox family (Xbone and 360) are blue, and Xbone exclusives are red.

Day One:

• Battlefield 4 (available on 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts (available on Wii U, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Dead Rising 3
  • FIFA 14 (available on Wii, 3DS, 360, Xbone, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP, PSVita, PC)
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • LocoCycle
  • Madden NFL 25 (available on 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4)
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kinect Sports Rivals
  • Skylanders: Swap Force (available on Wii, Wii U, 3DS, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4)
  • Watch Dogs (available on Wii U, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)

And here are the "launch window" titles, which will be available between Day 1 and the end of March 2014:

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (available on Wii U, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Just Dance 2014 (available on Wii, Wii U, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (technically not exclusive since it already exists on PC)
  • NBA 2k14 (available on 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Need for Speed: Rivals (available on 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Powerstar Golf
  • Project Spark (available on 360, Xbone, PC)
  • The Crew (available on Xbone, PS4, PC)
  • Titanfall (available on 360, Xbone, PC)
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order (available on 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)

So your answer is: Not nearly as many as Microsoft claimed to have. Most of the best games are multi-platform in one manner or another, especially in terms of the "launch window" titles. They will release with 5 exclusive titles, but none of them are terribly amazing.

CriticKitten:

DVS BSTrD:

Excellent question.

So I went through each game and categorized them for your convenience. Anything that is multi-platform was left black, exclusives to the Xbox family (Xbone and 360) are blue, and Xbone exclusives are red.

Day One:

• Dead Rising 3
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • LocoCycle
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kinect Sports Rivals

And here are the "launch window" titles, which will be available between Day 1 and the end of March 2014:

• Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (available on Wii U, 360, Xbone, PS3, PS4, PC)
  • Minecraft: Xbox One Edition (technically not exclusive since it already exists on PC)
  • Powerstar Golf

So your answer is: Not nearly as many as Microsoft claimed to have. Most of the best games are multi-platform in one manner or another, especially in terms of the "launch window" titles. They will release with 5 exclusive titles, but none of them are terribly amazing.

Thanks for this list! It should be worth nothing that Call of Duty ghosts is a time exclusive for Xbox

CriticKitten:

DVS BSTrD:

Excellent question.

Day One:

• Dead Rising 3
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • LocoCycle
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kinect Sports Rivals

• Powerstar Golf

o.0 *bursts in to a laughing fit*

only exclusive after launch? Is a golf game? BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's awesome, do they really think 'Dragons Lair: Roman edition' or CoD of all things to move the system? They do know CoD is coming out on everything else right? and them having it means fuck all, right? I'd mention KI, but since it looks like SF4 in more ways then one, yaeh, good luck with that -.-

CriticKitten:

DVS BSTrD:

Excellent question.

Day One:

• Dead Rising 3
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • LocoCycle
  • Killer Instinct
  • Kinect Sports Rivals

• Powerstar Golf

Only 6 exclusives total for the next several months after launch? I could be wrong but didn't the Wii U have the same amount of exclusives or even possibly more?

Edit: after googling it I found out the Wii U had 7 exclusives after launch.

Steven Bogos:
Thanks for this list! It should be worth nothing that Call of Duty ghosts is a time exclusive for Xbox

Actually, only the DLC is a timed exclusive for the Xbone.

Microsoft is guilty of double-talk here, as they had every intention of fooling people into thinking that the game itself would be a timed exclusive to the Xbone....and clearly, it's worked on a number of people.

But CoD: Ghosts (the actual game) will actually release on the WiiU/PS3/360/PC first, on November 5th. The game will release on the PS4 and Xbone at a later date (it's as of yet unknown when that will be, or at least I can't find any info on it).

How incredibly dissapointing. I was kind of looking for a reason to get an xbox a few months after launch, but now I can rest easy and not get one. I am really curious to see what Ps4's are, if they follow the trend of doing everything opposite of microsoft there will be some awesome titles!

Steven Bogos:

I believe that's just DLC, however timed exclusive still isn't exclusive, it's just a dev being a dick :-P.

MrWunderful:
How incredibly dissapointing. I was kind of looking for a reason to get an xbox a few months after launch, but now I can rest easy and not get one. I am really curious to see what Ps4's are, if they follow the trend of doing everything opposite of microsoft there will be some awesome titles!

I suspect most games on both consoles will be multiplatform, which is obviously a good thing as it devalues the XBone greatly.

In terms of the article, this is possibly the worst-written article I've ever seen. It's so biased and poorly phrased it could easily be a blog post. *sigh*

And to those mocking the post launch releases, there are a lot of exclusives, they just happen to also come out on PC. If you look at the PS4's exclusive lineup for launch and the first few months, half are indie or free to play that are already on PC.

For the best comparison of games (granted there are a few missing) I'd look at this infographic

Reyalsfeihc:
In terms of the article, this is possibly the worst-written article I've ever seen. It's so biased and poorly phrased it could easily be a blog post. *sigh*

And to those mocking the post launch releases, there are a lot of exclusives, they just happen to also come out on PC. If you look at the PS4's exclusive lineup for launch and the first few months, half are indie or free to play that are already on PC.

For the best comparison of games (granted there are a few missing) I'd look at this infographic

It really doesn't help them if most of their exclusives are remakes, terrible, or racing games, even when there are more actual exclusives.

CriticKitten:

Steven Bogos:

Actually, only the DLC is a timed exclusive for the Xbone.

Microsoft is guilty of double-talk here, as they had every intention of fooling people into thinking that the game itself would be a timed exclusive to the Xbone....and clearly, it's worked on a number of people.

But CoD: Ghosts (the actual game) will actually release on the WiiU/PS3/360/PC first, on November 5th. The game will release on the PS4 and Xbone at a later date (it's as of yet unknown when that will be, or at least I can't find any info on it).

I did not know that! You're right, there was a huge amount of double talk regarding all kinds of Xbox exclusives. I know that they tried to bill Titanfall as an Xbox exclusive, but that's actually coming on PC. Pretty scumbag move.

Reyalsfeihc:

Hey, thanks for the input. I appreciate all manner of constructive criticism. That's a really helpful infographic, thank you for that.

Reyalsfeihc:
-snip-

That image states all of the games announced at E3. It should be noted that games often appear in more than one E3 before their release, and that several of those games are not actually planned to be out by the time the console is released, or even within the console's "launch window".

Case-in-point: Watch_Dogs was first revealed at E3....last year. It'll finally release in November of this year.

The general rule of thumb one must follow when watching E3 is that if they don't give you a release date for it, you can't assume it'll be out any time soon. Most of those games you're hotly anticipating will more than likely return for next year's E3. This is actually one reason I prefer Nintendo's conferences, as they tend not to announce things way in advance and generally give you at least some idea of when a title will be released. MS/Sony tend to offer no such courtesies.

The list in the article (the article you've derisively mocked for no reason) is the list of what's actually going to be out when the console is released, and what is definitely going to be coming out within the first few months of the console's release.

It's also not a very good list, which is why people are mocking it.

And pro-tip: if it's coming out on both the PC and the Xbone, it's not exclusive to the Xbone. Stop misusing the word "exclusive" to make your preferred console sound better.

Reyalsfeihc:

some one who isn't acting like a complete fanboy on this website.ZOMG SOMEBODY PINCH ME

Reyalsfeihc:

I can safely say that the only exclusive on those lists (in any real capacity) that I care about is Infamous 3. The vast majority of the others, I'm not too concerned about.

On the XBox side, there are some less than stellar exclusives. Like Ryse, a game that is terrified you will actually try to play it. And Dead Rising 3, which has forgotten what what good about Dead Rising to begin with.

Waiting for more information on games like The Order, before I make any real judgements. So far, I can safely say that my decision has been made.

Honestly, most of the games I care about are Cross platform. Destiny, Kingdom Hearts 3, and maybe FFXV being some of the notable ones.

OT: I'm actually surprised by the number of games at launch. That should be a notch in their belt, though, I am curious as about concrete dates and PS4's launch titles.

Vivid Kazumi:
some one who isn't acting like a complete fanboy on this website.ZOMG SOMEBODY PINCH ME

Again with the misuse of words. People, if you're not going to bother looking for the meaning of a term, don't use it. You don't sound "cool" or "edgy" using words incorrectly.

You don't mean "fanboy", as that would imply that everyone is fawning over something for no good reason. It is impossible to be a "fanboy" of something that you are expressing distaste for, unless you're implying that every single person who speaks ill of the console is a "fanboy" of Nintendo or Sony (which would make you look ridiculous). The word you're looking for is "hater", which is the opposite.

Although it, too, is also incorrectly used in this case. Because not only is the hatred of the Xbone completely justified in a great many ways, it's entirely reasonable for someone to look at this list and give a decided "meh". There is really nothing on that list that would help sell a new console, you must realize this.

Look at the Xbox 360 as a point of comparison: It had 18 titles at launch (the Xbone has 12), 8 of which were exclusive to the console and 3 of which were only on either the 360 or the PC (the Xbone has 5 and 1 such titles, respectively). So in terms of sheer quantity, it's worse than the 360.

And the 360 launched with multiple genres represented: it had multiple shooters (CoD 2 and Perfect Dark Zero), multiple racing games (PGR3 and Ridge Racer 6), several sports titles, and even an action-adventure title and a shitty movie-licensed game. And it wasn't long before other big titles came out to beef up its roster. The Xbone will be launching with a generally weaker lineup, still having shooters covered but leaving other areas missing or absent. Their biggest launch titles are all multi-platform, which was NOT the case on the 360, and the "launch window titles" are almost entirely multi-platform as well. That means that the Xbone boasts relatively few big titles that its competitors don't also have.

Even by comparison to its predecessor, it's a relatively bad list. But I guess I'm a "fanboy" for stating facts now, eh?

Battlefield 4 - FPS not too interested
Call of Duty: Ghosts - ditto
Dead Rising 3 - Worth giving a try
FIFA 14 - Sports, meh
Forza Motorsport 5 - driving semi-meh
LocoCycle - never heard of it
Madden NFL 25 - Sports again
Killer Instinct - Revamp of old fighter, nice for nostalgia sake.
Kinect Sports Rivals - Again the dreaded S word
Ryse: Son of Rome - God of War, Roman version. Nothing wrong with that, but just saying the closest thing to it.
Skylanders: Swap Force - Skylanders is that Spyro dragon game I seen
Watch Dogs - Very awesome.

For the most part I'm not overly excited with what I see. I have yet to completely dismiss Xbox One, but it's not exactly drawing me in. Until I see the PS4 line up I won't know if I'm truly in the PS4 camp either. My PC is still more than capable of picking up some of those E3 titles.

The ps4 launch line is rumoured to be this if anyone wanted to know with the same amount of exclusives as I can see.
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Call of Duty: Ghosts
DC Universe Online
DriveClub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
PlanetSide 2
Skylanders: Swap Force
Warframe
Watch Dogs

CriticKitten:

Vivid Kazumi:

Again with the misuse of words. People, if you're not going to bother looking for the meaning of a term, don't use it. You don't sound "cool" or "edgy" using words incorrectly.

You don't mean "fanboy", as that would imply that everyone is fawning over something for no good reason. It is impossible to be a "fanboy" of something that you are expressing distaste for, unless you're implying that every single person who speaks ill of the console is a "fanboy" of Nintendo or Sony (which would make you look ridiculous). The word you're looking for is "hater", which is the opposite.

Although it, too, is also incorrectly used in this case. Because not only is the hatred of the Xbone completely justified in a great many ways, it's entirely reasonable for someone to look at this list and give a decided "meh". There is really nothing on that list that would help sell a new console, you must realize this.

Look at the Xbox 360 as a point of comparison: It had 18 titles at launch (the Xbone has 12), 8 of which were exclusive to the console and 3 of which were only on either the 360 or the PC (the Xbone has 5 and 1 such titles, respectively). So in terms of sheer quantity, it's worse than the 360.

And the 360 launched with multiple genres represented: it had multiple shooters (CoD 2 and Perfect Dark Zero), multiple racing games (PGR3 and Ridge Racer 6), several sports titles, and even an action-adventure title and a shitty movie-licensed game. And it wasn't long before other big titles came out to beef up its roster. The Xbone will be launching with a generally weaker lineup, still having shooters covered but leaving other areas missing or absent. Their biggest launch titles are all multi-platform, which was NOT the case on the 360, and the "launch window titles" are almost entirely multi-platform as well. That means that the Xbone boasts relatively few big titles that its competitors don't also have.

Even by comparison to its predecessor, it's a relatively bad list. But I guess I'm a "fanboy" for stating facts now, eh?

why did you feel that i'm aiming that comment at you?They're is many example's of fanboyism that have been shown on this website and you're not one of them.calm yourself man.

luvd1:
The ps4 launch line is rumoured to be this if anyone wanted to know with the same amount of exclusives as I can see.
Battlefield 4
DC Universe Online
DriveClub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
PlanetSide 2
Warframe
Watch Dogs

If this is true, then it isn't really any better than the xbox's line up. Neither one is doing much for me.

Vivid Kazumi:
why did you feel that i'm aiming that comment at you?They're is many example's of fanboyism that have been shown on this website and you're not one of them.calm yourself man.

Doesn't really matter who you were aiming it at.

It's still the wrong term to use, and it's still a wrong statement in general. The lineup in question is actually pretty poor, and it's not "fanboyish" to suggest such.

luvd1:
Battlefield 4
DC Universe Online
DriveClub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
PlanetSide 2
Warframe
Watch Dogs

I thought Assassin's Creed would be on both, why would Xbox fail to put that in it's launch as well? Seems like a pretty solid game to have available. I really miss RPGs.

Isn't "licence" the noun and "license" the verb? i.e. shouldn't it be "[...]you'll be able to license from Microsoft."? American English doesn't recognize licence at all, I don't think, but British, on the other hand...

Neither system has great exclusives at launch in my opinion. If the Fantasia version on Xbox One is significantly better then the 360..that MIGHT be something I would be interested in...but it's not enough to buy the system.

There are some great multiplatform games though like Kingdom hearts 3 (surprised it's not a Ps4 exlusive)....that I'll totally want...so that means I would need to buy one system or the other.

Since one of the two systems costs 100$ less, seems like it has better stats over all, gives em free games for the cost of getting multiplayer (Which I'd have to pay for either system)...and is much more likely to have RPG and Platform (ratchet and clank) exlusives that I'll want later on.....I'm gonna go with the Ps4.

I'll probably hold off till Kingdom hearts 3 comes out thought to be honest. I don't see anything else that really jumps out at me and makes me want to blow $400 even for the Ps4. All this money they spend to upgrade systems etc....and they don't have many games come out with them on release. I still think we don't need new systems yet.

Tanner The Monotone:

luvd1:
Battlefield 4
DC Universe Online
DriveClub
FIFA 14
Just Dance 2014
Killzone Shadow Fall
Knack
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
Madden NFL 25
NBA 2K14
NBA Live 14
PlanetSide 2
Warframe
Watch Dogs

If this is true, then it isn't really any better than the xbox's line up. Neither one is doing much for me.

True. Launch titles usually are weak though. I'm having trouble trying to think of a good launch game other then Halo... Perhaps resistance the fall of man but other then those two I'm struggling.

Reyalsfeihc:

Sadly this is becoming more and more common. There is almost zero objectivity or simple "reporting". Everyone has to throw out something snide, acerbic, or "witty" instead of just getting out the information. I've almost stopped reading Escapist articles about the Xbox because it seems more like a forum thread (or like you suggest, a blog). It was only curiosity about the launch lineup that brought me to this thread.

No offense to the poster of the article. It's just the state of the enthusiast press these days. If I were trying to make a name for myself in such a crowded field, I can't say I'd do any better. And I appreciate the "Thanks for the criticism" reply to this same post I quoted. That shows some class on their part. Though I'd still rather have my news the way Joe Friday would have wanted it. "Just the facts".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here