Dead Space isn't Dead, Just Resting.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dead Space isn't Dead, Just Resting.

The action-horror francise will take a breather as the developers pursue other ideas.

Dead Space 3 screen

Back in March, a rumor floated around that the Dead Space franchise, along with its developer, Visceral Games, had died, killed by low sales. Both EA and Visceral themselves responded to the twitter-based report, calling it "patently false." That said, there's no Dead Space 4 in the works at the moment, as Visceral Games pursues other projects, EA boss Patrick Söderlund told Eurogamer in an interview.

As Söderlund puts it, "I wouldn't say it's [Dead Space franchise] cancelled at all." Instead, Visceral is hard at work on something else. "Is it better to put them on the fourth version of a game they've done three previous versions of before? Or is it better to put them on something new that they want to build, that they have passion for?"

"[T]he first thing you need is a great development team that have a passion for building what they're building," according to Söderlund, "Everything else follows. Money, time, everything else follows. It's less relevant. That's ultimately how you get success. It's as simple as that."

While Dead Space 4 isn't about to make an E3 appearance this year, Söderlund says that's no reason for fans to mourn: "Will there be another Dead Space game? Who knows? Have we killed it? No, of course not."

Source: Eurogamer

Translation: If you guys are willing to pay more $$$ for Dead Space 4 in the future we'll make it, in the mean time we'll go on and ruin other horror franchises.

Y'know, on the other side of the argument, EA may be making WISER choices towards games and franchises. Perhaps they realize that beating the dead (space)horse isn't going to make them money.
I like the idea of "[putting] them on something new that they want to build..." That means EA is changing a practice.
Of course pessimism could rule and you could just spout the usual EA hate as stated above.

Sure it is boys.

'We need to figure out how to get this on Facebook first'

I guess, this is what happens when you need to sell FIVE MILLLLLLLLLLLION copies to remain financially viable.

What genre EA has stitched together, let no fan demand rend a Sonder.

He's completely correct.

Nothing that EA manages to kill stays dead Forever.

And I think we can agree that the results of their vile necromancy are Generally pretty awful.

So don't worry, fans of Dead Space, you can look forward to playing a Dead Space game that looks and plays nothing like Dead Space sometime in the next 7-10 years. Then you can join the ever-growing horde of fanbases who have watched their favorite franchises crumble into dust and be reborn as twisted phantasms, mere shades of their former selves.

No, I'm not bitter, why do you ask?

amaranth_dru:
Y'know, on the other side of the argument, EA may be making WISER choices towards games and franchises. Perhaps they realize that beating the dead (space)horse isn't going to make them money.
I like the idea of "[putting] them on something new that they want to build..." That means EA is changing a practice.
Of course pessimism could rule and you could just spout the usual EA hate as stated above.

I agree. This isn't the first news I've heard suggesting that, either. I mean, the release date for Dragon Age: Inquisition is fall of 2014. Think about that. Dragon Age II was pushed out 11 months after the original. Mass Effect 3 was better, but it was still released only 2 years after Mass Effect 2, or 1 year after if you count the PS3 port (I'm assuming different teams worked on each, hence why I'm not counting Mass Effect 3's release date as compared to that of Dragon Age II). Now, they aren't releasing Dragon Age: Inquisition until 3 years after Dragon Age II. I think EA is finally realizing that you can't rush a game and still have the right quality.

'Is the hamster Dead Space dead mummy?'
'No dear, it's just resting.'

Dead Space has already been put in an empty Malteaser box and buried in the garden. EA are just popping out to the pet shop to pick up a new franchise that looks similar to try and pass it off as the original. Possibly on mobile.

CriticalMiss:
'Is the hamster Dead Space dead mummy?'
'No dear, it's just resting.'

Dead Space has already been put in an empty Malteaser box and buried in the garden. EA are just popping out to the pet shop to pick up a new franchise that looks similar to try and pass it off as the original. Possibly on mobile.

there is already a mobile version - for iPad and it's pretty good, JFYI.

besides 'dead', yeah, you might be right.

I hope it's not dead. You can't end the series like that (talking about the DLC ending)! I mean, come on. I'm a little sad that have to wait years to find out what happens, but I still want to know what happens. I have a rather fun idea of what they could do to tie the characters from Extraction and Severed into the main series and finally wrap it up, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

On another note, does this mean no more DLC adventures? That sucks. I was hoping for more than just one expansion like Dead Space 2 got. Oh well.

Was anyone actually concerned that Dead Space was... dead?

I mean it's had a pretty good three game run, it's completed the story arc and, well, it wasn't all that good of a horror game at the end anyway. It's not like stopped games mid trilogy and left us hanging.

Stop giving us sequels, we've all moved on!

CriticKitten:
He's completely correct.

And I think we can agree that the results of their vile necromancy are Generally pretty awful.

So don't worry, fans of Dead Space, you can look forward to playing a Dead Space game that looks and plays nothing like Dead Space sometime in the next 7-10 years. Then you can join the ever-growing horde of fanbases who have watched their favorite franchises crumble into dust and be reborn as twisted phantasms, mere shades of their former selves.

"That is not dead that can eternal lie,
And with strange Aeons, even death may die.
"

So it's settled....EA is literally Cthulhu.

Duuuh!
Of course no game franchise and no brand stays dead forever.
I can bet my ass that even ET is "resting"

Sniper Team 4:
I hope it's not dead. You can't end the series like that (talking about the DLC ending)! I mean, come on. I'm a little sad that have to wait years to find out what happens, but I still want to know what happens. I have a rather fun idea of what they could do to tie the characters from Extraction and Severed into the main series and finally wrap it up, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

On another note, does this mean no more DLC adventures? That sucks. I was hoping for more than just one expansion like Dead Space 2 got. Oh well.

They could still do more prequel stories and tie-ins. But I'm not sure how you'd do a story following Awakened, particularly since I believe that

In any case, I wouldn't be too sad to see a re-boot. I liked original Dead Space, which did a pretty good job of combining Survival Horror and SF Shooter into a single game, even when in thematic and game-play set-up they're contradictory. But that tension was eventually resolved by shifting it to the point where it's just a straight-up SF shooter by Dead Space 3 with some remaining horror visual elements.

... It's killing me to read this.

Because Dead Space 3 was a huge infliction onto the Dead Space series. Not even speaking in terms of the game itself being bad (which it was, and if you really would like to know the reasons i'll put them in a spoiler bar so no one gets screwed over) but rather the expectations EA had for the game sales. They demanded that 5 million copies to be sold or they pull the plug on the series.

If that wasn't bad enough, the micro transactions whether you're for it or against it, brushed off a lot of people since it was installed into the most important aspect of the game... the weapon's bench. To get things you needed or the good stuff, you had to pay real money or hunt for the stuff in the playthrough. Now, though it should be left as such people do not want micro transactions involved in gaming for they fear it'll seep down to demanding money on things they really need to survive/progress.

As for Dead Space 3 and the game itself... well..

Not saying it's so bad, no one can like it. I know a few who enjoyed it but for the fans mainly it's just a big insult thus I sort of want the series to be dead because I don't want my memories of Dead Space 1 and 2 to be ruined. But alas if the next one in the series turns out to be good then I can be relieved and feel great being a fan. I'll always show my passion for the series but not lie about loving the 3rd game. It's just not a Dead Space game to me.

I must be one of the only people who enjoyed the game. I love how people are complaining about the lack of scares when you can only scare people with necromorphs so long and have them crawling around a dark ship before it all just starts becoming by the numbers.

I played the hell out of these games and there was no way the third game in the series was ever going to scare me like the first game its just not possible anymore, people really need to get it in their head that eventually you are just going to become immune to it.

I guarantee you if gave this game to a brand new player they will sh** their pants and probably not even be able to finish the game.

Vie:
Sure it is boys.

AHAHAHA! Nice one!

But seriously, I liked 1, 2 was meh and I skipped 3 entirely.
I can see potential in the franchise, but wouldn't mind if it just silently died.

So, they've put Dead Space in that special circle of Development Hell that Medal of Honor and Spore now inhabit, no you guys, we haven't killed the series, we're just not going to make another one this decade.

Solid job EA, solid job.

#EDIT#

So it seems that not counting digital sales on Origin, Dead Space 3 sold just under one and a quarter million copies, less than half the sales of number 2.

Forgive me for swearing, but fucking ouch! It begs the question of from who's rectum did EA pull their five million or bust forecast from?

I can understand Visceral wanting to do something different. The company has been making half-a-dozen Dead Space games in the past few years that I can easily imagine the employees becoming tired of revisiting the same concept and universe.

...However, the fact that EA said that Dead Space 3 needed to sell FIVE MILLION COPIES in order for the Dead Space franchise to be "Commercially Viable" makes me think that Dead Space isn't "Just Resting".

"Is it better to put them on the fourth version of a game they've done three previous versions of before? Or is it better to put them on something new that they want to build, that they have passion for?"

That is probably the most sensible thing I've heard, not just from EA, but the games industry as a whole in years.

OT: This is what I kept trying to say when everyone was digging out their 'rapture comes; sinners repent' sandwich boards over Dead Space 3: There is no such thing as a dead series. Unless there's some sort of G8 summit that collectively passes a law to ban Dead Space from ever being worked on again, to say it is over is the same utterly ridiculous doom-saying that one would normally expect from people who cover the walls of their home in bible verses and pictures of headless women drawn in shit.

Personally, I'd rather see them take a break from the series, work on other stuff, and then in the future, if they want, come back to the series with some fresh ideas and a new spin on the game.

It's a damn sight better than the Assassin's Creed strategy of grinding an initially good idea into the dirt until it not only fails to resemble the original property, but also barely resembles a damn game (Protip for ACIII: Hold down the climb button and push forward. You can let go when the credits roll.)

Dammit Visceral, just leave. Get out. Run away from EA. Dead Space still has some life in it, and I am a huge fan of the series. I think leaving it to rest for a while is a good idea. But please, I beg you, take this oppurtunity to get out and become a third-party company. Pull a Double Fine, go on Kickstarter. Whatever you make, I'll probably support it if it's good enough. Maybe see if you can buy the rights to Dead Space off EA.

Dead Space is dead if it isn't it should be. The primary thrust of it's horror (the monsters) have become watered down versions of their original visions. By three you and a friend (...why?) were just square dancing through hordes of those things every five minute so the fear that should of been there by their presence was simply nonexistent.

How does one kill that wich has no story or innovation, if someone know tell me so I can use it to exorcise EA.

I won't forgive EA for screwing over one of my favorite 'new' IPs like this.

Dead or alive, the 4th one is doomed to fail before it's even announced or entered development. The third was such a disappointment and with the only direction EA games take being down, the 4th will be dire. Chances are it'll be a reboot if anything.

But anyway, the trilogy is done, Isaac's story is over as are the necromorphs. With the third being so poor, I think it makes sense to let it be and move on. The one unique thing about the franchise was "selective dismemberment", but the third game did away with that entirely in lieu of becoming a generic, set-piece shooter...if it has nothing unique to offer, it is best if it stays dead.

Probably just pining, yeah, that´s probably it...

Vie:
Sure it is boys.

Sir.

Sir.

SIR.

You've earned this.

OT: I like to believe that the franchise stopped at Dead Space 2, because all the immediate problems were resolved and character arcs completed. DS3 added another set of problems and annihilated Ellie's established character, effectively kneecapping a series with potential. Then throw in making it more available to a wider audience, mass marketing, bloody micro transactions and you've got a game which is repugnant in its very being. Is it a shame that the series is most likely dead and buried? Yes, but it's also what we all saw coming, even if we didn't want to admit it.

Bit of a shame to see both an AP and a grammar mistake* in such a short article. But anyway, I certainly won't mourn the franchise. Here's to better horror stories in the future!

*Or two AP mistakes and no grammar mistakes.

So in other words you're going to let the near dead horse breath before you start raping it again.

KEWL

I'm kind of reading this as: "No, we're never going to get to make Dead Space 4, but EA hasn't ruled out the possibility of trying to mine the franchise for tablet and/or social-gaming fodder."

CriticKitten:
He's completely correct.

WESTWOOOOOOD!

*cries tears in the rain*

Coreless:
I must be one of the only people who enjoyed the game. I love how people are complaining about the lack of scares when you can only scare people with necromorphs so long and have them crawling around a dark ship before it all just starts becoming by the numbers.

You're not the only one, I find 3 to be the best of the series.

It's story/plot wasn't terrific(Well, it was alright except for that horrid love triangle), but the guncrafting really expanded the gunplay and the gameplay, and I love the snowy environments.

---

I don't know whether I should be happy or saddened by this news? Part of me would always want to welcome more Dead Space, but the fact that they gutted Visceral, and Isaac's story was kinda brought to a nice close (if you discount the DLC), and the "We needs 5 million to sell!!!!1one!" makes me think that it's probably better off staying dead.

Lets make a sort-of niche product into an Action game, then lose part of the core audience because of that, try and appeal to others that just won't catch by using Uncharted's QTE's and hope that we get 5 million sells... Yeah, something there just doesn't sound right.

I'm actually glad they stopped trying to put these games out there, I liked the first one but it was in no way "survival", the second one was pretty much a miss story-wise to me mixed with "here's moar action" feel, and I didn't even bothered with the third one.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 54106)