Update: Xbox One E3 Demos May Have Been On Windows 7

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Update: Xbox One E3 Demos May Have Been On Windows 7

It seems that even Microsoft doesn't have faith in Windows 8, the OS that the Xbox One's OS is supposedly based on.

EA big wig Peter Moore assured us that the games it was showing off on stage at E3 were running on comparable dev kit specs to the actual home consoles. While this may have been true for the PS4, Microsoft made sure that its games were running on the most stable system specs available on the market and in some cases that may have been an HP powered, Windows 7 system with Nvidia's 700 series GTX GPU.

It all started when US Gamer's Julian Rignall tweeted that the Xbox One game he was playing with an Xbox One controller crashed to a Windows 7, Hewlet Packard-branded desktop. But that's just one man's experience on one specific machine that may or may not be the truth. As they say on the internet "pics or it didn't happen".

Well, ask and the internet delivers. These two pictures clearly show an Xbox One controller hooked up to PC hardware. The first picture to the right shows the iconic Windows 7 splash screen bellow an Xbox One display, and the second picture here actually shows a PC desktop in the supposed Xbox One cabinet. Busted.

What is more surprising is that it seems Microsoft doesn't even trust its own operating system, opting to run Windows 7 instead of Windows 8, the OS that the Xbox One's OS is supposedly based on.

The fact that the desktops were apparently running Nvidia 700 series GTX cards is another worrying revelation if proven true. The 700 series GTX is considerably more powerful than the modified AMD GPU the Xbox One will run on.

For the record, Sony has officially come out and assured us that all PS4 demos shown at E3 were running on actual PS4 dev kits.

Source: Cinema Blend

Update: Several Xbox One developers have come out and confirmed that their titles were most assuredly running on actual Xbox One dev kits. Apparently, only a single title: Lococycle, was running on a PC because it had not been ported to Xbox One yet, and the decision was made by the dev team, not Microsoft.

Source: Forza Central

You can clearly see a high end Nvidia card in a blown up version of the second image which is frankly astonishing.

From what I understand no Microsoft Xbox one dev kit would be able to run on that hardware as they would be using AMD/Radeon tech. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

You know, maybe they just SHOULD back PC gaming, and ONLY PC gaming. Makes sense.

BUSTED!

Simple & plain.
Between all the controversy and this, I seriously dought the sanity of anyone getting the Xbone.

I mean seriously, the games weren't even running on the OWN SYSTEMS DEV KIT!
All those games probably running at 60FPS and that look astonishing? Yea... just you wait till you get an Xbone :P

VincentX3:
Yea... just you wait till you get an Xbone :P

Pffft, what a silly thing to say, nobody's going to buy one.

OT: I'm curious to see what comes next in the train wreck that is the unveiling of this console. Cause at this stage they're heading towards the point where they have to pay people to adopt it.

Dat misrepresentation...

Good job MS, you have such little faith in your own hardware that you had to use PCs, and you didn't even use the same brand of graphics card.

All the lolz.

This news makes me happy, at least now we know that kinda sexy Xbone controller will work on the PC.

Kiya:
You can clearly see a high end Nvidia card in a blown up version of the second image which is frankly astonishing.

From what I understand no Microsoft Xbox one dev kit would be able to run on that hardware as they would be using AMD/Radeon tech. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

This too, why/how are they playing on the PC with Nvidia hardware when the Xbone will be AMD hardware?

Steven Bogos:

For the record, Sony has officially come out and assured us that all PS4 demos shown at E3 were running on actual PS4 dev kits.

Regardless of the whole device fiasco (which is nothing new in the industry anyways) and can't even really be proven until there's some official statement to it, does assuring mean anything in this business nowadays?
I mean, they could have run a lot of the presentations on a PC as well, just like the XBones presentations may have run on the console or a PC. Sony already showed us prerendered gameplay, so why would we suddenly trust them so much and actually just ignore what the internet hates Microsoft for? There are things that they do (nearly) exactly the same, but nobody cares suddenly.
Anyways, right now the consoles aren't finished or out yet, only the end product you actually get to buy matters.

So not only were the 'consoles' running Windows 7, but they are running NIVDIA PC hardware instead of AMD?

This is just getting sad.

I think the fact things were running off a PC is what makes this an interesting story. Hopefully the Xbox One will measure up to the visuals shown at E3.Otherwise some people are going to be disappointed when they boot up their units at home and things look drastically different. It feels like a "bait and switch" on MS's part. If Sony did the same I'd be just as shocked and appalled. But to be fair both of them showed videos rather than gameplay at points. Movies can look breathtaking and spine tingling good, but then you play and it's just terrible. Honestly as beautiful as these games look I pray they have hours of content to match the time taken on appearance of character's shirt when the wind blows. Yes, it's nice, but give the game itself more attention, the story too. Soon enough we'll see the fruit of both of their labors.

Ed130:
So not only were the 'consoles' running Windows 7, but they are running NIVDIA PC hardware instead of AMD?

This is just getting sad.

It's also running a water cooled Intel CPU from the looks of it, and other forums.

If true it means it can't really be a true dev kit pc, as a sane developer would use hardware architectures as close as possible to the actual prototype/product. Which would have meant AMD CPU, and AMD graphics. As the API's, compatible instructions, and features are different for the other companies.

At this point, you have to wonder when Microsoft is just going to admit that they've been running one of the more successful trolls of modern history, and then release the actual console.

I mean, at this point they've successfully alienated most of their potential consumers... and now possibly one of their partners in manufacturing the damned thing.

So we are right to assume that the PC is the best platform :D Oh Microsoft, I'm not mad, just laughing at you.

that just says to me that there will be an emulator kicking about soon after release...

...xbone exclusives on my pc? of course i wouldnt do that. hahahahaha

Kiya:

While the XBone OS and it's draconian DRM probably isn't setup for other hardware (although technically it could be put on it if given the drivers), the games for the most part will happily port across, especially since most of them are getting PC versions anyway. This is part of the reason why PS4 and XBone has gone with x86, makes porting much easier and cheaper. It's why when you buy a PC game you don't need to buy an AMD or Nvidia version, the software is compatible on both as the drivers and hardware is made to be compatible. Having said that, this is basically cheating by M$, by using high end graphics cards they can push the games graphics up to look better than the console can provide, so they are literally pulling an ACM on us, showing 'gameplay' footage sure, but not what we would see on the XBone.

mKeRix:

Steven Bogos:

Regardless of the whole device fiasco (which is nothing new in the industry anyways) and can't even really be proven until there's some official statement to it, does assuring mean anything in this business nowadays?
I mean, they could have run a lot of the presentations on a PC as well, just like the XBones presentations may have run on the console or a PC. Sony already showed us prerendered gameplay, so why would we suddenly trust them so much and actually just ignore what the internet hates Microsoft for? There are things that they do (nearly) exactly the same, but nobody cares suddenly.
Anyways, right now the consoles aren't finished or out yet, only the end product you actually get to buy matters.

If you had followed the link, you would see that Sony's statement is backed up by multiple developers, including prominent indie dev Jonathan Blow.

I'm pretty happy about this, because it means the Xbox One controller - the only thing I'm interested in - will work on PCs. Hooray!

Well considering that the Console architecture has not been built yet and the whole platform has not been created I'm not surprised that they were running through a PC with high end graphics cards come on people its E3 not exactly the home of realistic portrayals of games and products :p
However what was surprising and also pretty damn funny is that they were using Windows 7 not Windows 8 so even Microsoft employees don't want to work with windows 8 currently sitting here pretty smugly for not getting the 'upgrade' Microsoft keeps telling me to get.

This is fucking great news. It means coding the emulator will be a lot easier.

Although with both systems switching to x64 architecture im going to be a happy pc gamer playing those exclusives for both systems anyway.

Andy of Comix Inc:
I'm pretty happy about this, because it means the Xbox One controller - the only thing I'm interested in - will work on PCs. Hooray!

But it will most likely be a different version of the Xbone controller, just like the current 360 for Windows one, so the price will be jacked up!

BOO!

But I see no difference between that one and the current one(no extra buttons) so I might buy a 360 pad once the Xbone comes out.

This isn't news.

They won't be running demonstrations on the actual console hardware yet because it a long time until release. They are still working on testing and development. They would be stupid to demonstrate on unfinished and unstable tech.

Running Windows 7 is sensible as it is more established and therefore more stable. Again it would be stupid to run a demonstration at E3 on anything less than the most stable platform you have access to. The Xbone SDK would have been designed to run on Windows 7 as it was made and in use a long time before Windows 8 was released.

They aren't using PCs with the same hardware as the actual console as it would not be powerful enough to run as well as the consoles due to the amount of direct to metal programming relied on to gain efficiency.

Senarrius:

It's also running a water cooled Intel CPU from the looks of it, and other forums.

to be fair the water cooling might just be because of where they have to put it. a small enclosed cupbord with little to no ventilation if its got to run all day showing of the games then it would get preaty hot in there. fans might just not cut it. and these pics are embarrassing but if all of them had to be turned off opened up to cool down that would look way worse

Of for Christ sake. It's Monday morning, can't the universe just give Microsoft a break for a few days? What did Microsoft do to you to bring you such delight in tripping it over and kicking them in the balls?

luvd1:
Of for Christ sake. It's Monday morning, can't the universe just give Microsoft a break for a few days? What did Microsoft do to you to bring you such delight in tripping it over and kicking them in the balls?

Hey man, I can't make them stop screwing up. I just tell you when they do

luvd1:

Oh, nothing. They're just trying to take away consumer rights and your constitutional right to privacy. Not a big deal. We should give them a break and feel sorry for them.

Aren't most or all games being shown at E3 running on PC's?
I always thought that was standard practice as it would be easier to control what happens.

You know, i could have understood such a decision, the console is still a few months from release and knowing M$'s luck these days far from complete with bug after bug, but only if they used stuff close to the console specs.

Using a GTX GPU which is, apparently, more powerful than the AMD stuff they will be using is just stupid.

Also explains why, in the ToS (or EULA, i forgot) they stated that you can't file a class action lawsuit against Microsoft about the Xbone. There is probably a nice false advertising lawsuit in there, since the look off what is shown on the E3 floor and what the Xbone will actually show you graphic wise is probably way different.

Also, yay, 500 posts.

luvd1:

Eeeerrr...

Windows 8, closing Ensemble Studios, Deal With It, anti-trust lawsuits, Always Online, GFWL not avalible in your country, console not available in your country, Vista, Windows Store, ads on Xbox Live Gold, Gold accounts required for Netflix, RROD...

Pick one.

Wow that is just sad and so funny at the same time. I mean they make a big deal about Windows 8 being so superior, but use Windows 7 because it is truly better than the peace of poo Windows 8 is atm. This would be just like if they came out when Vista was only a year old, but used the superior Windows XP... Well Vista was complete shit so 8 is not as say that bad, but in games it be worse in other ways like indie developers and such...

rodneyy:

Senarrius:

to be fair the water cooling might just be because of where they have to put it. a small enclosed cupbord with little to no ventilation if its got to run all day showing of the games then it would get preaty hot in there. fans might just not cut it. and these pics are embarrassing but if all of them had to be turned off opened up to cool down that would look way worse

The bigger thing isn't about it being watercooled per say, but it might indicate it might also be over clocked. The main culprits are Intel and Nvidia.
People might say games are developed on PC's, and they're right but the problem is that the Console architectures are AMD based.

They use different API's, instruction sets( sometimes), and have different features.

Also for people claiming the consoles aren't done yet. yes, sure but that's what development kits are for. AKA prototype consoles, which are as close to the final product as can be.

Anyone thinking they're still working on the hardware designs at this stage are woefully incorrect. As CPU/APU GPU's architectures are designed over years, and are well finalised by now. It's most likely that they are very close to full production by now. ( The console, the APU from AMD is all ready being fabricated as it's a much more complicated process.)

There is also the case of many developers and Sony having stated that their games were running on PS4 dev kits, not PC's. Especially not custom built PC's with entirely different hardware components. compared to the Xbox architecture.

Here's a PS4 dev kit. It's a console, which is as close as possible to the final product to accurately test, and run their latest code for games.

piinyouri:
Aren't most or all games being shown at E3 running on PC's?
I always thought that was standard practice as it would be easier to control what happens.

It's not that it's running on a PC, it's that it's running on system specs far above what the actual Xbox One will be using that is the main thing here.

Ed130:

luvd1:

Eeeerrr...

Windows 8, closing Ensemble Studios, Deal With It, anti-trust lawsuits, Always Online, GFWL not avalible in your country, console not available in your country, Vista, Windows Store, ads on Xbox Live Gold, Gold accounts required for Netflix, RROD...

Pick one.

The joke is that they will likely have Windows 8 on it at launch which is sad for having 7 on it would be much better for the consumer and indie developers... They are not acting so bright with this next gen console since they have announced it... Could you imagine if the first gen of Xbone consoles had the ROD as well? If so I hope it will make those that buy it actually wake up and see that they are getting screwed over...

Could the bad press get any worse for MS?

My god, this launch has been a clusterfuck of the most epic proportions. LOL.

E3 Demos ALWAYS run on PC rigs. This isn't new. It's been that way for forever. There are plenty of reasons to poopoo the Xbox One (and i'm on the bandwagon here) but this isn't one of them.

PS: Ps4 Devkits is code for "PC's with comperable specs to the ps4"

Senarrius:

rodneyy:

Senarrius:

The bigger thing isn't about it being watercooled per say, but it might indicate it might also be over clocked. The main culprits are Intel and Nvidia.
People might say games are developed on PC's, and they're right but the problem is that the Console architectures are AMD based.

They use different API's, instruction sets( sometimes), and have different features.

Also for people claiming the consoles aren't done yet. yes, sure but that's what development kits are for. AKA prototype consoles, which are as close to the final product as can be.

If this is 100% true than good on Sony for making wise decisions compared to the recent shit Microsoft has been doing..

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here