Xbox President Says World Has Changed From Offline to Online

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Xbox President Says World Has Changed From Offline to Online

Don Mattrick

Don Mattrick says the advantages of always being connected to the internet can be seen in smartphones, tablets and PCs.

Don Mattrick, the president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Business, has taken a very "damn the torpedoes" approach to the Xbox One, specifically with regard to its almost-always-on internet requirement. It's a strategy that may ultimately pay off for Microsoft if it can sell its vision of the future to the console-buying public but for now it's just alienating core gamers and baffling those of us who wonder why the company isn't moving quickly to soften its message.

Mattrick's E3 interview with the BBC isn't likely going to change that perception. "Being connected to the cloud is going to allow creators to make worlds that are alive. They're going to have communities, you're going to be able to interact with your friends, they're going to be rich, changing, vibrant, in real-time," he said.

"The world has changed from offline devices to online devices," he continued. "If you think about how your smartphone works, how your tablet works, how your computer works, having an internet connection allows it to stay current, allows it to stay vibrant and plugged in to that community."

There's no question that the world has changed but Mattrick's comments miss the mark rather widely. Being connected is great, but being able to function while disconnected is pretty awesome too - and that's something that phones, tablets and PCs will all happily do (minus things like making phone calls or surfing the net, obviously) when they're not connected. They don't just stop working if they go more than a day without phoning home - a mighty difference between the Xbox One and everything else out there.

Source: BBC

Yes, but amazingly, I can still play my PC games when the internet is down.

Funny that, eh?

Microsoft...at this point, silence was truly your best PR. Maybe you should revert to that instead of implying your customers are the ones out of touch with reality. If gamers are upset over something you are doing, don't tell them they don't understand how the real world works. They have a better grasp of it than you do from your high-rise office.

Also, does the phrase "Playstation 4 preorders outselling Xbox One preorders on an 8 to 1 ratio" mean anything to you? You know, as if you were doing something wrong and should SHUT THE FUCK UP?!

I'm really getting sick of this "the future is online!" bullshit excuse. If we don't NEED to be online then we don't want it. It's like saying the future isn't in ownership but in this licensing bull. I don't care how many people are connected, people still want to own things and be able to use them without being connected

Could anyone have predicted this? That the Internet would be used to hinder us rather than help?

Mr. Mattick, allow me to offer one of my favorite philosophies in situations like this...

"Provide the OPTION, do not force the NEED."

I love how even non-gamers are hearing about this mess now.

My sister who has no interest in games knew every detail of the Xbone E3 nightmare just based on what she saw on Tumbler.

Caprica: three short words (F**k you Microsoft)

Jack. Go take a hike.

Literally take a hike.

And don't come back until you've walked from the western shores of Alaska to the eastern shores of the Northwest Territories, the width of Sieberia, and from northeast Sahara to the African Horn down to the Cape.

After you've done that, feel free to reconsider how "online" the world is.

"The world has changed from offline devices to online devices"

Which is why the (region-locked) Xbox One will only be available to buy in 21 countries...

And Sony's best PR opens his gaping hole again.

As you pointed out, when using these others devices, we can use then when we're not online. Give us the ability to that Microsoft, and maybe that would help with the comparisons.

I'm hearing echoes of "No one plays single games anymore. Multiplayer is how people want to game," Then Skyrim came out.

I... I can't believe this guy. Seriously, how can one man have no idea what's actually going on? My PC is connected to my internet almost all of the time. I use the connectivity to surf the net, watch videos and consume other media. Do you know, Mr. Mattrick, what I do when I lose my internet connection? I PLAY MY PC GAMES! Do you know, Mr. Mattrick, what I do with my tablet and smartphone when I don't have 4G access or WIFI? I PLAY THE GAMES I PUT ON THEM!

Mr. Mattrick, we are not stupid. This online connectivity is a game authentication scheme. It has nothing, at all, to do with persistent worlds, or meeting up and sharing with friends on line. And every time you spew that BS at us and expect that we'll lap it up like you've descended from on high with it written on stone tablets, it just pisses us off more. Just come out and say the truth. AAA gaming cannot support itself and needs to limit and control how consumers buy, trade and use their software so their margins can increase because they cannot fathom how to properly manage their products. At least then we could at least respect your honesty. Trying to spin screwing us over as some kind of benefit is just making us pissed!

Funny thing about comparing it to a computer, does the Xbone do anything a computer can't do? $500 can get you a decent gaming computer nowadays, and they don't have the Kinect spying on you.

When are these idiots in suits going to realise one minor detail.

Yes phones, tablets and the like are always connected. Guess what though? They don't stop working if you aren't connected. They do not force a constant connection on you.

If only they could grasp that simple detail and stop using it as an excuse to explain this crap when in reality that is not how the "always on" world actually works.

My iPad works without wifi, my kindle works without wifi, my phone works without wifi. Xbone will not. See the difference there Don?

Oh Jesus Nipple-Tweaking Scrotum-Gargling Christ! He just can't fucking stop!

This guy... is he a plant by Sony? A sleeper agent designed to bring the Xbox down from the inside? I think he might be.

Mr Mattrick, there is a difference, an important difference, between 'Can be used online' and 'must be used online'. This difference matters to the hundreds of millions of people across the globe who still either have no internet connection at all, or an intermittent and unstable one. You've climbed so high up your 4G ivory tower that you can't see what the world looks like from ground level anymore. PC's and tablets wouldn't sell very well if they couldn't even perform basic functions without an internet connection, and neither will the Xbox ONE.

The world is more then just THOSE 21 countries you know.

Nooners:
Mr. Mattick, allow me to offer one of my favorite philosophies in situations like this...

"Provide the OPTION, do not force the NEED."

Yeah, when he was taught the old adage about marketing, "create a need, then provide a product", I think he massively misunderstood.

Don Mattrick's face has changed from "somehow smarmy" to "extremely punchable".

There weren't enough vibrant buzz words in his rich and moving commentary.

The problem is that constant online connections aren't as prolific as people like Mattrick like to believe. I don't know what the hell it is, but it almost seems like gaming consoles (except for Nintendo's) are trying to become MORE difficult to get into with stuff like this.

Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing Mattrick's smiling face as he's like "Hello, I'm Don Mattrick, and this is my Fuck The Consumer Box" makes me seriously have to control myself lest I break something I'd immediately regret breaking.

Captcha: "Do Not Touch". HA!

I don't think that M$ could have missed the point more about why people have a problem with this policy if said completely justified community outrage was represented by the giant purple dildo bat from Saints Row the Third slapping them across the face.

How about you stop speaking shit and just say "the world has changed from consumer friendly to greedy business control". We know you want to control us. We know you use figures to find the quickest way to put money into your pockets instead of creating quality products. You haven't fooled anyone.

There is no way you can argue that keeping us stuck online will benefit us. The future I believe in should be about convenience for everyone which means plenty of choices, but most of your 'reveal' is full of mother fucking restrictions. If I was working for Microsoft behind the Xbox ONE, I would just quit because I wouldn't want to look like a greedy moron pretending this deal works for everyone.

"The world doesn't need you anymore you filthy offline peasants" is all I feel from Microsoft.

Personally I like how they are trying to claim that online persistent worlds are a new thing, meanwhile on the PC MMOs have been around since before 1997 when runescape kicked it off in a big way.

Plus last time I checked neither my Android smartphone nor my Windows PC check in with anyone once a day to basically ask permission to keep functioning. I can still play games on both when they have no internet access available, which is fairly common for my phone since the UKs 3G sucks and most of us don't have 4G yet.

The games I download on my phone work when I turn my wireless service OFF Don. I do that to save on battery (4G cards use a lot of power).

Don seriously stop. Just stop. This quest you are on has stopped being funny and is just plain tragic at this point. Now is the time to be quiet or humble up and back peddle on the online connectivity as fast as you can.

RJ 17:
Anyone else get a very strong, spontaneous urge to punch their screen every time they see this picture?

I don't know about you guys, but seeing Mattrick's smiling face as he's like "Hello, I'm Don Mattrick, and this is my Fuck The Consumer Box" makes me seriously have to control myself lest I break something I'd immediately regret breaking.

I must say, he has a very punchable-looking face...

OT: Keep digging that hole, Mattrick. Christ knows your stock hasn't plummeted enough yet...

It's not changed and it never completely will. People will always want a physical copy of things. Give me the feature of an online store. Give me the choice of buying a bought disk game on said store. That's better for me.

I can still play Angry Birds on my phone without it being connected to anything, so any more excuses?

Jesus... this guy doesn't get it. He truly, truly does not get it. We, as the consumers, do not like being forced to do something to preserve functionality. As someone with a chronically unstable internet connection (in a major urban area, mind, where according to these chucklefucks that shouldn't ever happen) I can't trust my service to be able to connect that often for any stretch of time. Therefore perpetually online games do not appeal to me, and I prefer things that are still playable without an internet connection.

But according to this Mattrick ton of bullshit, I am "backwards" and not fit to purchase their console, and I should stick with my 360.

Well, I will, you fucking prick. I won't be supporting this inconvenient, clunky thing that thinks it's the future, when you have a competitor that will give me everything I want in a console, a console I can use for a hundred dollars less. There is no reason to ever purchase the Xbox One for me, therefore I won't. And I guess Microsoft won't miss me and my backward ways. Way to treat off a loyal customer for the last decade.

Microsoft really needs to come down from their cloud.

RJ 17:

LOL. I was just about to post something very similar. This guy is the very definition of "smarmy looking douche".

.... Am I the only one getting a Thick of it vib from Microsoft?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1rRszEYKdM

I'm getting really sick of seeing that guy's face. Seriously, I haven't seen a more punchable face since the 2012 election. But beyond the whole "tired of disingenuous assertions" thing...

You know what? I AM tried of his disingenuous assertions! The ones that ignore the fact that we aren't really as connected as he thinks we are. Microsoft should have learned from the Orth incident, the Simcity incident, and many others with the same bullshit surrounding them. They should understand that this shit will not fly, and will continue to not fly even if they continue to insist, like a child that thinks the world will bend to their will if they repeat themselves enough. You know what? I'm not giving that proverbial child enough credit here: even they would have learned from their mistakes by now.

So in conclusion: Microsoft is run by outdated robots, because they are currently unable to learn and correct themselves. Also, those robots have been constructed with the most punchable faces in the world.

PoolCleaningRobot:
Could anyone have predicted this? That the Internet would be used to hinder us rather than help?

I learned it years and years ago. Let me tell you a story:

Once upon a time, I was walking through the electronics section of my local K-mart and I spied a new sight. On a shelf reserved for the half-dozen computer games the store stocked was a new game called "Half-Life 2". I picked it up and almost squee'd, I remembered Half-Life and it was a great game with many expansion packs. So I begged and pleaded with my mum till she bought it for me. That was the end of the enjoyment I got out of the game for many weeks.

You see, Half-Life 2 was packaged with a vicious and insidious program called Steam, which required that you connect to the internet with your computer to play the game. I was taken aback - why on earth would I have to connect to the internet to play a solely off-line game? Just about the only thing I'd ever used the internet for prior to this was to search for GameFAQs, play Diablo 2 at my brother's house, and do internet research in school.

Days passed while I pieced together what I had to do to play my new game - a game that I was already paying for with doubled chores. I dragged my massive computer down three flights of stairs from my room, hooked up my dad's external modem, and signed on to the internet - since I just had to enter a code to get to play the game. Steam then slapped me across the face again while kicking my dog.

"No, you can't play your new game" it said. "You must download a patch!" Now, prior to this I had downloaded patches before - it was the way of things for gaming for quite some time. But instead of going to my dad's work with a Zip drive disc to download the patch and bring it home, it told me I had to do it RIGHT NOW, on MY MACHINE - before I could even play the thing. Ten hours, it told me, ten cock-punching hours I had to tie up the phone line.

Several days passed till I was able to convince my folks to let me tie it up that long, and I finally played it the next day, almost two weeks after I had bought it. I didn't have any fun. I was seething with rage at the thing. And I never bought another game for my computer - I stole my brother's PS2 ("borrowed" it, but he never asked for it back), and have been a Console gamer specifically because they were ALWAYS off-line for neigh-on a decade now.

That's my story, and its why I can do nothing but shake my head at Microsoft now.

DVS BSTrD:
The world is more then just THOSE 21 countries you know.

The world he is thinking of doesn't even exist entirely in ONE of those 21 countries, let alone the rest of the world beyond that.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here