Microsoft "Has Alienated" the U.S. Military With Xbox One

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Microsoft "Has Alienated" the U.S. Military With Xbox One

Aircraft Carrier

Some military personnel are less than happy with the Xbox One.

It might be safe to say that more than a few people have taken issue with the Xbox One's various built-in restrictions. For many the controversy has been centered on Microsoft's attempts to limit used games. For others however, the issue lies with the console's strict online requirements. Players hoping to actually use the console for games will need a reliable online connection to check in with Microsoft on a daily basis. Failure to check in will disable gaming functionality, even for single player experiences.

For members of the military, this requirement could wind up being a deal breaker. "Microsoft has single handedly alienated the entire military," said naval aviator Jay Johnson. "And not just the U.S. military- the militaries of the entire world." Johnson, who has spent the past three years deployed training at sea regularly relies on his Xbox 360 to unwind. "It is where I went to calm down after a long day of flying." The Xbox One's online requirements could make future similar experiences impossible for service members deployed to areas of the world with unreliable internet.

Microsoft, which has previously suggested players with connectivity problems stick with the Xbox 360, has expressed sympathy for service members. "There was a person who said, 'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub, but I've got to imagine it's not easy to get an Internet connection," said Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment division. "If I was on a sub, I'd be disappointed." Despite acknowledging the less than perfect nature of Xbox One for service members, Microsoft has yet to offer any viable solutions for the near future. "I don't have additional details to share and can't speculate on workarounds at this time," said Xbox rep Danica Stickel.

Source: Navy Times

Will be the same for the Merchant Navy and Offshore industries as well due to you getting a limited internet allowance at best and no internet at worst.

Damn, somebody should do the math on just how many sales Microsoft is losing.

Maybe they should break out one of those Stealth Hawks and kidnap Don Mattrick, no one will mind as long as they let him call home once a day.

Phrozenflame500:

Over 50% against the 360, assuming every player who ever connected a 360 to the internet buys a Xbone.

StewShearer:
"There was a person who said, 'Hey, I'm on a nuclear sub.' I don't even know what it means to be on a nuclear sub, but I've got to imagine it's not easy to get an Internet connection," said Don Mattrick, president of Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment division.

It means you're on a submarine that is nuclear powered.

How many more ways is Microsoft going to find to say "We don't want your business."?

fix-the-spade:
Maybe they should break out one of those Stealth Hawks and kidnap Don Mattrick, no one will mind as long as they let him call home once a day.

Wow, that made me laugh really hard, thank you sir.

Spacewolf:
Will be the same for the Merchant Navy and Offshore industries as well due to you getting a limited internet allowance at best and no internet at worst.

Ninja'd! I was going to say the same thing. Granted, it will be released here in Norway, but we also have a LOT of people on offshore oil platforms, fishing vessels, cargo ships and so on. I know quite a few guys on fishing boats, and they all have at least one console on board. Guess the choice of which one will be easier to make this generation.

nadesico33:
How many more ways is Microsoft going to find to say "We don't want your business."?

I'd say until their Game division finds out they're out of business........

sorry couldn't help it

Don't worry Military personal around the globe! Microsoft has the solution!

Just get an Xbox360! It can play offline!

"I don't have additional details to share and can't speculate on workarounds at this time," said Xbox rep Danica Stickel.

I can think of one workaround, it's called 'Buy a PS4'.

I'm sure once a day, the submarines can surface and use satelite uplink to let the world know of their location... I mean phone home. Where's the problem?

fix-the-spade:

Phrozenflame500:

Over 50% against the 360, assuming every player who ever connected a 360 to the internet buys a Xbone.

And according to cracked.com only half of those users who are connected are Xbox Gold Members so you can only imagine how many of that 50% want to be connected all the time. It basically says that the number of "dude-bros" that use xbox for CoD multiplayer is could only like 25% of all xbox owners at the most

Also, I find it funny how there are still people saying that only the people who keep up with video game news will know about the XB1's flaws. This article came from the The Navy Times and they called it "a sin against all sevice members"

After thousands of years filled with warfare, the nations of the world finally united, as soldiers from all countries, under all flags, found a common enemy. US Army Rangers, People Liberation Army soldiers, Afghan insurgents, Vatican's Swiss Guards, German U-Boot crews, all put their quarrels aside and said in a single voice "no", before marching on Redmond.

UN said shortly after "screw that shit, united world, here we come", leading to the Nobel Peace Prize to be given posthumously to the Microsoft board of directors that year.

Not to worry, Microsoft is doing it's best to alienate everyone other than fanboys, rich people with more money then sense, microsoft employees and clueless parent/grand parents wanting to ingratiate themselves to little timmy/tammy

This has been their business plan since the release of Windows 8 and other Ballmer lead initiatives which have pretty much tanked. I'm hoping that there is a shareholder revolt around Christmas time.

ritchards:
I'm sure once a day, the submarines can surface and use satelite uplink to let the world know of their location... I mean phone home. Where's the problem?

I'm having one of those "not sure if sarcasm" moments...

I am active duty Coast Guard and have spent six months each of the last five years underway and nowhere near an unofficial Internet connection. I'll tell you right now even the smallest cutters (coast guard ships 65' or greater) go out for at least a week at a time.

There will be no Xbones in crew lounges fleet wide.

"No, seriously guys! We're gonna sell 400 Million of these things! It's gonna be frickin' sweet! Unless you don't have a connection, in which case you can go fuck yourself. And no, that statement in will in no way cut into our 400 Million estimated sales figure...nor will the fact that it'll only be available in 21 countries...nor will the fact that the Kinect 2 is shaping up to be an even bigger liability than the original Kinect was...nor will the fact that the president of our entertainment division keeps insulting our target market and out-right tells said market that we don't want their business."

nadesico33:

Microsoft apparently now believes they have evolved past catering to the console market; the console market will now cater to them. Just because they more or less managed that trick with Windows doesn't mean the XBox One will be their next victory.

"I don't have additional details to share and can't speculate on workarounds at this time," said Xbox rep Danica Stickel.

Here's two:

1) Stop being such jerks, if you can recant it after the hardware goes Legacy, you can do it now

2) Don't bother, b/c someone will jailbreak it faster than the iPhone, rendering the subject moot

another thing its not enough to just have an internet connection but to be in a country that the XB1 is supported. while i dont really know where the majority of armed forces around the world are i assume that a fair few of the US/UK are in the middle east. if they left out poland and japan from the countrys that worked i dont see them adding afghanistan any time soon

But... according to MS, it's a completely online world!

Haha, this little drama is turning into a comedy in a pretty quick manner. Stay classy, MS.

It's the same with hospitals that get systems and games through charities like Child's Play. Connecting a console to the internet is the lowest possible priority in a hospital, so if kids were given the new Xbones, they wouldn't be able to play them.

Because it's an always online world and everything must be connected and fuck anyone who can't/doesn't want to be connected!

PoolCleaningRobot:

fix-the-spade:

Phrozenflame500:

And according to cracked.com only half of those users who are connected are Xbox Gold Members so you can only imagine how many of that 50% want to be connected all the time. It basically says that the number of "dude-bros" that use xbox for CoD multiplayer is could only like 25% of all xbox owners at the most

Also, I find it funny how there are still people saying that only the people who keep up with video game news will know about the XB1's flaws. This article came from the The Navy Times and they called it "a sin against all sevice members"

I dont think the "dude-bros" are into the Xbone or into the always online thing, the people that are into that are the gadget guys, those that like to have everything connected into one thing with their Ipads and their TV, etc...

Basicly just look at the guys that made the presentation, those guys are their public target and are the guys that are cool with those demands seeing it as part of the future

Well if they want to play offline they can still use the Xbox 360.

Or the PS3. Or the Wii U. Or the PS4.

It doesn't really matter though. The architecture that Xbone is using is bound to be crackable. You install the game on an HDD and you authenticate it online. Just like a PC. And if the game can work for 23 hours, someone will find a way to make it work offline at all times. The Xbone is a hacking disaster just waiting to happen.

So it seems that this console is aimed at Xbox fanboys, dudebros, fratboys, and kids. I'm guessing that the games would reflect that as well. If that's true, nothing of value will be lost for the rest of us.

at this moment at microsoft:

CEO: "HOW COME NONE OF YOU TOLD ME THAT THERE IS NO INTERNET CONNECTION IN THE DESERT?"
employee: "well, we thought that was common knowl-"
CEO:" you know what is also common knowledge? YOU BEING FIRED! you all make us look like idiots!"
CEO: " now tell me what else doesnt have internet connectivity. does an apple have internet? what about a banana? why not? why do i keep paying you all?"

We Halo 5 think Halo 5 we have Halo 5 some compelling Halo 5 reasons Halo 5 for you to Halo 5 buy one Halo 5 anyhow against Halo 5 all your better Halo 5 judgement Halo 5.

Sercvicemen! Did we mention Halo 5?

ritchards:

Uh... ever heard of a term called OpSec? It's military for Operational Security, meaning no shit gets sent without permission from your C/O. Military personnel aren't even allowed to say when they're deploying anymore on Facebook or such because it's against OpSec, so family members aren't allowed to know exactly what day they'll leave till around 1-2 days before hand. You really think they're going to allow suddenly free, unfiltered internet access on one of the most secretive vessels in the entire world? Believe me, the Navy is nuts in keeping their subs hush hush, so to allow the Xbone which captures video and microphones their data to be allowed free access to upload and send data is what the services like to call a "No-Go."

As for the thread: People may not believe it, but having this in The Navy Times is serious blow to Microsoft. The Army, Navy and Air Force all have their own different paper (Air Force Times, Army Times, Navy Times) and almost every service member reads their affiliated one inside out every week it arrives since 1) it's free, 2) it's cleared by all commands to be allowed in bases, 3) passes the time when stuck at work (don't tell the SNCO's that though, they'll help "motive" you to do other things if they find out you're bored), and finally 4) it's relevant. Almost everyone in the Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard have probably read the article by now then, dealing a *massive* blow and pissing off 3 different service branches with this alone. If the Army and Air Force versions ran this too, the entire military will have read it. And believe me, like I said, the younger members who are the most likely to buy the consoles are the ones who buy the papers more than the older brass. Every week. And they read it dearly.

PoolCleaningRobot:

ritchards:

I was hoping the "let the world know of their location" part was enough to give away the falmpalm in the statement.

ritchards:

PoolCleaningRobot:

ritchards:

I was hoping the "let the world know of their location" part was enough to give away the falmpalm in the statement.

I was mostly confused because your post had no introduction to indicate your opinion :/

josemlopes:
I dont think the "dude-bros" are into the Xbone or into the always online thing, the people that are into that are the gadget guys, those that like to have everything connected into one thing with their Ipads and their TV, etc...

Basicly just look at the guys that made the presentation, those guys are their public target and are the guys that are cool with those demands seeing it as part of the future

As someone who connects their laptop to their tv, then remote controls it from their smart phone, I can't see the xbox 1 really appealing to a gadget guy like me. If I wanted such a device for my tv, I would get one of those $50 android sticks that plug into HDMI or a streaming media link to connect my phone to my tv directly or just use a tablet while watching tv (its basically the same as the picture-in-picture). So if it does appeal to gadget guys, it only appeals to wealthy ones who'll drop $500 to watch cable tv with their hands

PoolCleaningRobot:
So if it does appeal to gadget guys, it only appeals to wealthy ones who'll drop $500 to watch cable tv with their hands

Ah, yes. Forgot to add that part but they are really after the Americans (based on the console features) with money (based on the requirements like space for the Kinect and good internet to keep it working).

They basicly made a console for themselfs and other CEOs

You know what... Sony should take advantage of this and say "discounts on PS4 for people in the service!" Or even free for some...? (Free to submarines for example?)

Jaeger_CDN:
Not to worry, Microsoft is doing it's best to alienate everyone other than fanboys, rich people with more money then sense, microsoft employees and clueless parent/grand parents wanting to ingratiate themselves to little timmy/tammy

I'm pretty sure they're alienating some Microsoft employees as well. My IT friend knows a programmer at Microsoft and he's apparently livid to the point of considering quitting. Obviously this is a single person, not representational of any sort of whole... but I really wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few Microsoft employees shaking their heads (at the very least) right now, they're just not the ones doing any of the talking. Just goes to show how truly out-of-touch they are right now.

StewShearer:

Some military personnel are less than happy with the Xbox One.

I would think that ALL of them were, at least insofar as the military gamer crowd goes. Can we get them to impose martial law on Microsoft, annex the company, and force out an X-Box that doesn't suck?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 16992)