Thief Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Garrett In Action

Thief Gameplay Trailer Shows Off Garrett In Action

Stephane Roy of Eidos Montreal took a few minutes to show off some actual Thief gameplay at E3.

Good news for those of you who were unable to attend Eidos Montreal's Thief presentation at E3 - Sony has posted a gameplay video of about ten minutes in length on YouTube, so you can finally get a look at what the studio's "reinvention of this classic franchise" will look like.

The demo takes place at a point a few hours into the game, when Garrett sets out to rob the Baron, the ruler of the city, while his manor is under siege by angry, rebellious citizens. Roy explained that the game can be played in any fashion you like, from ghosting to non-stop felonious assault, and Garrett will have access to his usual array of weaponry, including his famed water and fire arrows. Clearing up some earlier confusion (at least on my part), rope arrows are back - Ion Storm eliminated them from Thief: Deadly Shadows - and he's also packing some kind of universal pry bar/climbing hook.

The trailer also shows off "Focus," a power Garrett can use to spot hidden items or locations of interest, and "Swoop," which allows him to move quickly and unseen from shadow to shadow. Focus will apparently be replenished by poppies, while Swoop looks to be something he can use without limitation, beyond perhaps a cool-down period. Garrett is far less lethal than Corvo but there's still a powerful Dishonored vibe going on here, especially with those powers at his disposal.

So what do we think? Is it Thief - or, more to the point, does this video hook your interest? Thief is currently expected to come out sometime next year for the Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Reinvention. So, reboot, I take it. On the one hand: Great, they can't fuck over the continuity. On the other hand: They won't use the existing continuity then I fear.

I like the city riots, they fit in nicely with the established feel of The City. Gameplay seems too actiony for my tastes, with the motionblurred sprint to the pillar in the beginning. I also dislike the bow in action, as well as the QTE takedown. It looks like leaning is back in, at least partially, and I like the implementation.
What irks me most is the guy runs around not playing a thief, but an Assassin. First two guards he encounters, he kills, one with a head shot. The next two guards live, and then it's the "Oooh, there, oil and fire arrows. Try it!" part. Not impressed, but that's the presenters fault for now, not the games' fault. At least he refrains from actually DOING it.
That whole focus thingamajig I don't like. Looks too much like handholding. Why don't they give Garret a radar minimap while they're at it? Fanboy rage, I guess, but thats how I view it.

Not as bad as I'd feared, but nowhere near as good or even bearable as hoped. Consider myself cautiously apathetic to this.

Looks like Thief to me. I was worried the Focus would be like Promethean Vision, but the little we see of it here actually makes it seem pretty cool. Swoop might not be necessary, but it doesn't look harmful. And the voice actor does a solid job.

Can we all stop preemptively hating on this now like jaded, cynical old men?

--Morology!

But I _am_ jaded and (kinda) old(-ish). And I've been burned too many times, sorry. Also, no hate, just apathy. It doesn't look (feel?) like Thief, it looks like Dishonored, only darker to me.

These guards have even less awareness than the ones in Dishonored. C'mon guys, give us a challenge.

Ehhhhhhh...

Not feeling it.

I'm not even a Thief fan, but this just feels off. The focus seems unnecessary at best and broken at worst. Some goes for blink... sorry, swooping between shadows.

It doesn't look horrible. The voice actor did okay. But it's not exactly getting my stealth buds all tingling.

It doesn't look (feel?) like Thief, it looks like Dishonored, only darker to me.

My first impression. I'm not convinced yet.

It always boggles my mind these design directions on stealth games where the game gets progressively easier as you get absurd abilities that just remove all the challenge of playing stealthily. Dishonored suffered exactly from the same thing, once you get the ability to get x-ray vision, stop time, blinking, etc... Where does the challenge really go? I understand people find those abilities cool but i remember a time when things like that were possible via cheat codes, not actual game mechanics.

I told myself I'll watch at least 5 minutes of gameplay. I made it to 9 minutes of gameplay before I said "meh" to myself.

The things I didn't like:
- first takedown => push a button => see garrett take him down without further input from the player => not fun
- swooping between the shadows is just OP imo. The player of the demo didn't even care about the patrols paths. He just jumped from shadow to shadow without looking out for the surroundings.
- the environment looks terrible
- standing behind a guard and seen the "press R2 for takedown" => this is not what thief was about. Remember when you could actually miss a hit with your weapon and not take out the guard on your first hit? Where is the challenge?
- Why the focus mode? Again takes away from the challenge of the game...
- Also highlight objects you can interact with in focus mode? Why not let the player figure it out on their own? In addition why not design the game to be more interactive? Looks like a "stealth-shooter" mix on rails.....

- Oh and the comment "you can play stealthy..." made me very worried as well. Thief was all about being a shadow and avoiding fights at all costs. It sounds that you could also go for a "kill everything and take their stuff afterwards"-approach as well => not Thief like.

This again is one those examples in which they use an established franchise name to sell something that only remotely looks like the original in terms of gameplay but is much more "streamlined" to please the broader audiences....

I'm already disappointed...

edit: just watched the rest of the gameplay footage (wasn't much left anyway). Didn't change my mind at all....

I am not that skeptical. I heard we could switch off all the focus bullshit and mainly rely on stealth and positioning on hardest difficulties, however it would not become like Hitman Abomination because here the game can be completed without focus.

So far I am not completely disappointed. I will probably buy this and give it a try at least. If it manages to be like Dishonored what do I lose? I then basically own one stealth game that fucking loves whales and another stealth game that loves the shiny gold.

What I liked best though is his little dig at "Next Gen Dogs" I hope he wasn't serious but just poking fun at the whole Xbone dog thing.

EDIT: OH MY STEVE!!!

I did not see what happened at 11:28 into the video yet, I skipped over to the interview part and watched it after I made the first comment. I was stupid and naive and thought they couldn't possibly put in something that fucking PISSED ME OFF!!! This late into the demo. THEY DID IT!!!

You drop a fucking 2 ton weight and NOBODY! Fucking NOBODY! Not even the NEXT GEN DOG fucking reacts to it. I would have heard that weight drop 2 streets off in the distance why the fuck did a guard who was standing behind a small wall in the open air not hear that thing fall! Why are all these guards so fucking stupid!

1337mokro:
Hitman Abomination

You mean Shitman Abomination my good Sir.

OP: It looks pretty meh. The aesthetic I like but the focus seems pointless and the swoop has the ability to be hopelessly exploited. The VA did ok. Not within Stephen Russels narration by a long shot but not to shabby on its own.

Still very wary of this title.

It looks kind of bland. The AI doesn't seem that great either, drop a massive weight and noone gives a shit. A dog barks and they search for a few seconds then give up. Maybe they could have, I don't know, let the dog out of the cage to track you down? That would promote people playing carefully as one slip up and you've just made the game more difficult to play. You fool!

Overall I'd give it a 'meh'/10

Well I never, it's become so much like Call of Duty they've actually stolen a COD character and inserted them into the game at the 10 minute mark!

(Only joking of course.) What's with the special magic powers stuff? Was that in earlier thief games? I have my eye on this as a possible purchase if they do the stealth right, but then again I don't really want to be able to virtually teleport around the map, sort of removes the whole sneaking about side of things.

Looks like a good and fun to play game to me. But not like a "Thief" game...

It's certainly not for me.

I was surprisingly pleased at the new guys voice, he actually kind of sounds like a younger Garret, same cynical snark caught in his throat.

I can safely say I'll probably enjoy this one.

I like the fact that the hand holding is there if you choose to use it. It's like being offered a piggyback when you're tired.

I just hope the level design doesn't force you to use the swoop mechanic and make it absolutely necessary in order to finish the game. It looks like a really cheap way to progress through the level.

Oneah:
It always boggles my mind these design directions on stealth games where the game gets progressively easier as you get absurd abilities that just remove all the challenge of playing stealthily. Dishonored suffered exactly from the same thing, once you get the ability to get x-ray vision, stop time, blinking, etc... Where does the challenge really go? I understand people find those abilities cool but i remember a time when things like that were possible via cheat codes, not actual game mechanics.

Better to think of Dishonored as a superhero game.

OT: People have been crapping all over this after praising the vertical slice, which was apparently quite different. Very disappointing, really.

They definitely need to let you disable all the assistance crap. Who the fuck needs that kind of thing? Is it not enough to just scale the AI?

Well.. so long as this demo was taking place at "First time I've played a Stealth Game or an FPS" difficulty, things should be fine.

And the trend continues:

DMC was a decent game, but not a good Devil May Cry game.

Lords of Shadow was a decent game, but not a good Castlevania game.

This game looks decent, but it does NOT look like a Thief game. It looks like someone combined the most user-friendly aspects of Dishonored and Arkham Asylum.

/sigh instant disappointment. The action take down, immediately looks more Deus ex than thief. Garret isn't a hard hitting hero, he sneaks up on people and coshes them, no fuss, no heroics. He's a thief not a ninja.

Also, what's with the hands out in front doing nothing half the time, it's this Garret or Boris Karloff? Terrible visual cue.

It's a massive shame really, the look of the environment looks pretty spot on but it seems to be at the expense of the atmosphere which was the main strength of previous games.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here